Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Old 06-01-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins,) S: Gadot, Pine

Yeah, no need to hold your pee once credits start rollin'
Old 06-01-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a great response by the Austin mayor regarding the screenings.

http://www.mayoradler.com/letter-wonder-woman/

On May 26, 2017, the Mayor received this email:

I hope every man will boycott Austin and do what he can to diminish Austin and to cause damage to the city’s image. The theater that pandered to the sexism typical of women will, I hope, regret it’s decision. The notion of a woman hero is a fine example of women’s eagerness to accept the appearance of achievement without actual achievement. Women learn from an early age to value make-up, that it’s OK to pretend that you are greater than you actually are. Women pretend they do not know that only men serve in combat because they are content to have an easier ride. Women gladly accept gold medals at the Olympics for coming in 10th and competing only against the second class of athletes. Name something invented by a woman! Achievements by the second rate gender pale in comparison to virtually everything great in human history was accomplished by men, not women. If Austin does not host a men only counter event, I will never visit Austin and will welcome it’s deteriorati on. And I will not forget that Austin is best known for Charles Whitman. Does Austin stand for gender equality or for kissing up to women? Don’t bother to respond. I already know the answer. I do not hate women. I hate their rampant hypocrisy and the hypocrisy of the “women’s movement.” Women do not want gender equality; they want more for women. Don’t bother to respond because I am sure your cowardice will generate nothing worth reading.

Richard A. Ameduri

Today he responded:

Dear Mr. Ameduri,

I am writing to alert you that your email account has been hacked by an unfortunate and unusually hostile individual. Please remedy your account’s security right away, lest this person’s uninformed and sexist rantings give you a bad name. After all, we men have to look out for each other!

Can you imagine if someone thought that you didn’t know women could serve in our combat units now without exclusion? What if someone thought you didn’t know that women invented medical syringes, life rafts, fire escapes, central and solar heating, a war-time communications system for radio-controlling torpedoes that laid the technological foundations for everything from Wi-Fi to GPS, and beer? And I hesitate to imagine how embarrassed you’d be if someone thought you were upset that a private business was realizing a business opportunity by reserving one screening this weekend for women to see a superhero movie.

You and I are serious men of substance with little time for the delicate sensitivities displayed by the pitiful creature who maligned your good name and sterling character by writing that abysmal email. I trust the news that your email account has been hacked does not cause you undue alarm and wish you well in securing your account. And in the future, should your travels take you to Austin, please know that everyone is welcome here, even people like those who wrote that email whose views are an embarrassment to modernity, decency, and common sense.

Yours sincerely,

Steve Adler
Old 06-01-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'm hoping to check this out tonight if I have time. If not I'll be going at some point this weekend. Feels good to actually be excited for a DC film.
Old 06-01-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

It's down to 92% but even the negative reviews are fine. But now it's within 6% of Captain Underpants.
Old 06-01-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Should note, Captain Underpants has a whopping 14 reviews.
Old 06-01-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Further note, I was kidding regardless.
Old 06-01-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Upon further review, how come we got no WHITE Entertainment Television?
Old 06-01-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Further note, I was kidding regardless.
Haha, sorry, hard to tell online. Apologies.
Old 06-01-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Because I think WET is already a channel. But I think it's multiracial.
Old 06-01-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I can kind of see why some people would be bothered about a theater only allowing women to attend the screening, and having only women work there that time as well. But I'm not familiar with how screenings work. Don't they normally exclude some people? Like they have critics screenings for example, right?

But at the same time, I think it's a nice little marketing strategy done by that particular theater or whatever it is, to not only make it stand out, as not just another superhero movie, but THEE superheroine movie. And it kinda fits with what WW's creator was promoting with the original comic.
Old 06-01-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
But at the same time, I think it's a nice little marketing strategy done by that particular theater or whatever it is, to not only make it stand out, as not just another superhero movie, but THEE superheroine movie. And it kinda fits with what WW's creator was promoting with the original comic.
As I understand it, the film is very much about teamwork and partnership, yes? Just seems like when everyone is already divided by so much, this just serves to further divide people....when movies and entertainment usually bring people together.
Old 06-01-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I can kind of see why some people would be bothered about a theater only allowing women to attend the screening, and having only women work there that time as well. But I'm not familiar with how screenings work. Don't they normally exclude some people? Like they have critics screenings for example, right?
Well there's a number of different "screenings" of films; basically anything other than general release could be considered a screening:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_screening

Critics screenings tend to be before general release. These special woman's only screenings are actually after it's out, and are basically a general Tuesday showing that they made exclusive. Men could possibly see the film at around the same time on a different screen at the same theater.
Old 06-01-17, 07:54 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

White tvs are ugly.
Old 06-01-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Artman
As I understand it, the film is very much about teamwork and partnership, yes? Just seems like when everyone is already divided by so much, this just serves to further divide people....when movies and entertainment usually bring people together.
I think it's more telling to see those who consider the celebration of a historically discriminated against group of people by way of a simple movie screening as divisive.
Old 06-01-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fumanstan,

Interestingly, Warner Brothers itself has stayed out of the Alamo Drafthouse controversy. The reason is simple: they don't want Wonder Woman to get entangled in politics for all the wrong reasons, things that could end up hurting what could be a $150-plus million opening weekend for the movie.
Old 06-01-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this blurb on Rotten Tomatoes:

Any hopes that Wonder Woman will sustain its appealing misandry are soon dashed.
And the headline of the review:

Despite Some Appealing Misandry, Wonder Woman Can’t Avoid A Mansplaining

Wonder Woman emerges to save the world but risks losing herself

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/05...-mansplaining/
Old 06-01-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RayChuang
fumanstan,

Interestingly, Warner Brothers itself has stayed out of the Alamo Drafthouse controversy. The reason is simple: they don't want Wonder Woman to get entangled in politics for all the wrong reasons, things that could end up hurting what could be a $150-plus million opening weekend for the movie.
I think that's obvious, they also have no reason to comment on what an independent movie theater chain wants to do.
Old 06-02-17, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by RayChuang
fumanstan,

Too late, I will never see it now.
Old 06-02-17, 06:08 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Saw this blurb on Rotten Tomatoes:

And the headline of the review:

Despite Some Appealing Misandry, Wonder Woman Can’t Avoid A Mansplaining

Wonder Woman emerges to save the world but risks losing herself

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/05...-mansplaining/
I read that review, and basically was left scratching my head. I just don't understand where some people are coming from when they write like that.
Old 06-02-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Muh penis!!!

Last edited by stingermck; 06-02-17 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Yeah, that'll show 'em!!

Do you ever get tired of objecting to all things women? Even if I agreed with your views (and I adamantly do not), it's ridiculous that you'd skip a great movie just because one movie theater made a decision to have a women-only screening.
Old 06-02-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
don't tell me that offends you
Old 06-02-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Yeah, that'll show 'em!!

Do you ever get tired of objecting to all things women? Even if I agreed with your views (and I adamantly do not), it's ridiculous that you'd skip a great movie just because one movie theater made a decision to have a women-only screening.
He has fake internet outrage. He'll still see it, yet decry anything about it now. He probably has Ghostbusters 2016 bedsheets.
Old 06-02-17, 09:19 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

My 5 year old is really getting into superheroes and is excited to see this. I'd like to take her to see it, hopefully it's not too intense for her.
Old 06-02-17, 10:22 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
My 5 year old is really getting into superheroes and is excited to see this. I'd like to take her to see it, hopefully it's not too intense for her.
From my review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

NOTES TO PARENTS: Wonder Woman is rated PG-13 for comic book action violence, the theme of the cruelty of war, and a scene of awkward semi-nudity. There is little cursing, primarily one or two h*** and d***. Trevor is briefly shown at a distance coming out of a pool of water with his hands covering his genitals, and the scene is comically awkward. There are a couple of lines of innuendo, and other than a kiss that implies something more might happen, no other sexual content is present. There is a scene of a battle between Amazon warriors and German soldiers, with bullets, arrows and spears, but little to no blood is shown. Other violence centers around battleground gunfire and explosions, but again, no blood. A German general and a chemist work to create a stronger chemical weapon, and the victim of one experiment is very briefly show. A chemical is released in a room of high ranking German officials, but nothing graphic is shown. The same goes for a scene in a town shortly after a chemical attack - a couple of bodies are briefly shown through the mist.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.