Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Old 11-03-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins,) S: Gadot, Pine

Please DC donot fuck this up.
Old 11-03-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,871 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by paul_sd

while i do think the wwi era setting is fresh and some more interesting thematic possibilities than sticking with the nazis and wwii, i do have to question how steves plane ends up crashing anywhere close to an uncharted island given the long range flying potential of wwi era aircraft. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I suppose they could contrive that he's in an experimental craft developed for the war effort, but it's still one of the aspects that when you make the switch to an earlier era, just doesn't fit as well (getting steve to the island and back off it).
magnets...
Old 11-03-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
God damn her theme music is so awesome. I get serious wood when it kicks in at the end.
Whew, I thought I was the only one.

This is at the top of my list for must see 2017.
Old 11-03-16, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Cannot wait to see this next summer.

Great score in the trailer. Got me fired up and Gadot looks fucking stunning as Wonder Woman. Super hot and athletic.
Old 11-03-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Holy Shit... I was one that didn't think Gadot could pull it off, while pretty I thought she was too thin. But she looks fantastic and that trailer looks great too.

Can't wait to see this on 1 day.
Old 11-03-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,808 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
While I do think the WWI era setting is fresh and some more interesting thematic possibilities than sticking with the Nazis and WWII, I do have to question how Steves plane ends up crashing anywhere close to an uncharted island given the long range flying potential of WWI era aircraft. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I suppose they could contrive that he's in an experimental craft developed for the war effort, but it's still one of the aspects that when you make the switch to an earlier era, just doesn't fit as well (getting Steve to the island and back off it).
Maybe it's something crazy like flying the plane off of the deck of a sinking ship.
Old 11-03-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Otherwise the trailer looks solid to me.

Just as good as that third one for Man of Steel (which still give me goosebumps despite knowing how wrongheaded the actual film turned out to be).
This is true and while I'm trying to remain more positive about this film strong trailers and mediocre films have been a recurring trend with DC. The SDCC Batman V Superman trailer got me excited and the film underwhelmed. Same with the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer for Suicide Squad.
Old 11-03-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Looks good. I'm really looking forward to WW.
Old 11-04-16, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 927 Posts

Wow, that was fantastic.

Can't wait!
Old 11-04-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I really like how they're leaning all-in on the "blocking bullets with her bracelets" thing. I expected them to do that with like one shot in the whole movie.

Looks fantastic. And hey - color! What a concept for a DC movie!
Old 11-04-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, the color is fucking fantastic... further illustrating how absurd it is that it even has to be mentioned about a comic book movie. Fucking Snyder.
Old 11-04-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,871 Likes on 1,151 Posts

But...isn't the color mostly being used on Themyscira to make it a "paradise"? I think we'll still get war torn Europe in glorious beautiful "DC Blue and Grey".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-04-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-04-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But...isn't the color mostly being used on Themyscira to make it a "paradise"? I think we'll still get war torn Europe in glorious beautiful "DC Blue and Grey".
At least I can tell that her costume has color. And some of the outdoor desert looking shots with the planes seem pretty bright and vibrant.
Old 11-04-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, some parts take place in England and Germany, so folks should taper those expectations. haha
Old 11-04-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
At least I can tell that her costume has color. And some of the outdoor desert looking shots with the planes seem pretty bright and vibrant.
I was going to say the same thing. Will wait and see what's produced on the screen, but even the war scenes had splashes of color.
Old 11-04-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe it's something crazy like flying the plane off of the deck of a sinking ship.
Did they have aircraft carriers in WWI? Needing some kind of runway, I doubt a merchant or military ship would have a clear, unobstructed path long enough for a takeoff.

we'll see.

As much as I like the direction of the trailer(s) so far (it really does seem to be what I've wanted to see for this character for a long time now) I still have reservations about Gadot, despite how great she looks in costume.
I find her line reading at the beginning of the trailer to be especially wince inducing. I can almost see someone off camera whispering to her "say it again, but this time stress the word 'beautiful'."
The thick accent seems to be masking it a bit, but I still have my concerns that she'll end up being the weakest link every time she has to open her mouth.
Old 11-05-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Did they have aircraft carriers in WWI? Needing some kind of runway, I doubt a merchant or military ship would have a clear, unobstructed path long enough for a takeoff.
They could launch planes off of ships in the early 1910's. The first aircraft carrier that could launch and land aircraft was the HMS Argus in 1918.
Old 11-05-16, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm fine with that. That's still leagues above having that same look for Smallville, Gotham, Metropolis, the north pole, etc. Hell the only thing colorful in the Snyder films is Krypton and the opening bit set in the South Pacific (?) of BvS.
Old 11-05-16, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's in the Indian Ocean.
Old 11-05-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn. I typed Indian and it didn't sound correct and changed it.
Old 11-05-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

While I do think the WWI era setting is fresh and some more interesting thematic possibilities than sticking with the Nazis and WWII, I do have to question how Steves plane ends up crashing anywhere close to an uncharted island given the long range flying potential of WWI era aircraft. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I suppose they could contrive that he's in an experimental craft developed for the war effort, but it's still one of the aspects that when you make the switch to an earlier era, just doesn't fit as well (getting Steve to the island and back off it).
You don't get how a WWI aircraft could have the range to fly to a magical uncharted island populated only by stunningly beautiful ancient Amazonian women warriors with super powers.

Well, fuck me. I guess all I can say is "But ... but ... but ... Zombies!"
Old 11-05-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I know it's supposed to be good but I've never been that big into the Mad Max series in general.
Fury Road may be the most overrated movie of this decade. It makes Road Warrior look like Citizen Kane.

The trailer resembles a bog-standard Hollywood action vehicle which just so happens to feature the most famous female superhero of all time. That sells, so I am not doubting WB's choices with Wonder Woman.

My gut tells me many people that haven't liked DC's movies of late will enjoy it. This is one case in which the retro time setting will help a great deal.

I wonder if there will be any DC fan service in it beyond WW herself. There are a number of DC characters that could pop up in that time frame.
Old 11-05-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
They could launch planes off of ships in the early 1910's. The first aircraft carrier that could launch and land aircraft was the HMS Argus in 1918.
Did not know that, and a cursory wiki check prior to posting didn't give me any clue that was the case.

Guess it would be close enough that the filmmakers could fudge it if they need too. It's just that any ease with which Trevor (and eventually the Germans or Turks or whoever) get there, means the island isn't really that remote after all.
Obviously I'll have to see how the film squares this before I get too invested in criticizing this aspect.
Just gives me pause is all.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
You don't get how a WWI aircraft could have the range to fly to a magical uncharted island populated only by stunningly beautiful ancient Amazonian women warriors with super powers.

Well, fuck me. I guess all I can say is "But ... but ... but ... Zombies!"
So you don't understand how trying to hew to some verisimilitude in the real world aspects helps sell the fantasy aspects better?
Zombies indeed.
Old 11-05-16, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to guess Themyscira is located in the Aegean sea in this flick. It has been located in other places but based on the setting of Man's world... that would make the most sense. As to how it was never found by that time? I dunno. We'll figure that out when we see it.

And by doing some google research. It's possible for a WW1 plane to make it. I'm actually amazed at how long those things could go in some cases.
Old 11-06-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Reshoots are scheduled.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/wonder-w...-in-two-weeks/

By
Garth Franklin
Sunday, November 6th 2016 11:10 am

As is standard with most blockbusters comes word today that Patty Jenkin’s “Wonder Woman” is set to undergo reshoots in two weeks says Flickreel.

The reshoots follow on from the film’s main shoot which wrapped in May. The film’s star Gal Gadot has essentially been playing the role non-stop for over a year now – jumping from “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” into the solo “Wonder Woman” film into the “Justice League” movie which just wrapped a few weeks ago.

Now she’ll be suiting up again, only this time for a much shorter stint in the UK at Leavesden where period buildings were built for the original production and hadn’t been removed which suggests this extra filming was planned a while back.

Several major film reshoots have made headlines this year from “Suicide Squad” which underwent severe tonal changes, to “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” which was rumored to have been extensively reshot.

There’s no signs of any extensive do-over here, though the report hasn’t confirmed how significant they will be or who will participate. The news comes just a few days after Warner Bros. and DC Films debuted the new full length trailer which has received an excellent reaction online.

“Wonder Woman” opens in cinemas in June next year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.