Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Netflix

Old 10-29-14, 10:43 AM

Orson Welles’ unfinished final film, “The Other Side of the Wind,” may be heading for a theatrical release next year.

The New York Times has reported that Royal Road Entertainment has reached an agreement to buy the rights to “The Other Side of the Wind” with the aim of showing the film by May 6 — the 100th anniversary of Welles’ birth. The report said Royal Road is planning to promote the distribution at the American Film Market next week.

Welles shot the film-within-a-film between 1970 and 1976 and then worked on it until his death in 1985, leaving behind a 45-minute work print that he had smuggled out of France. John Huston starred as a temperamental film director battling with Hollywood executives to finish a movie –much like Welles did throughout his career. Susan Strasberg, Lilli Palmer, Dennis Hopper and Peter Bogdanovich played supporting roles.

To obtain the rights, Royal Road has negotiated agreements with Welles’s collaborator, Oja Kodar; his daughter and sole heir, Beatrice Welles; and Iranian-French production company, L’Astrophore. Welles had financed through a combination of TV roles and investors, including Mehdi Bushehri, brother-in-law of the shah of Iran and an investor in L’Astrophore.

As a result of clashing with Welles, Bushehri took control of more than 1,000 negative reels, which have been stored in a Paris warehouse.

Since Welles’ death, a multitude of efforts have been made to sort out the legal issues in order to complete. Two years ago, veteran producer Frank Marshall, who was a line producer on “The Other Side of the Wind,” joined with Royal Road’s Filip Jan Rymsza to approach Beatrice Welles and Oja Kodar.

Beatrice Welles, who manages the Welles estate, told the Times that the 2012 visit was key to starting the process of getting the film finished. Marshall and Bogdanovich will assemble the film.

“We have notes from Orson Welles,” Marshall told the Times. “We have scenes that weren’t quite finished, and we need to add music. We will get it done. The good news is that it won’t take so long because of all of the technology today.”
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/or...se-1201341048/
Old 10-29-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release

Very cool news. Now if only they could get the rights situation for Chimes of Midnight sorted out.
Old 10-30-14, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Orson Welles’ "The Other Side of the Wind" aiming for release in 2015

It's really sad that a very large portion of Orson Welles filmography is viewed as a curiousity rather than as a substantial piece of art. So many half finished films and films ripped from his hands and gutted by the studio.

I'm just thankful Citizen Kane exists as it does and Touch of Evil was restored to his vision before he passed. The rest is sort of a wash.
Old 10-30-14, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Very cool news. Now if only they could get the rights situation for Chimes of Midnight sorted out.
Been waiting years for a decent release of Chimes
Old 10-30-14, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
I'm just thankful Citizen Kane exists as it does and Touch of Evil was restored to his vision before he passed.
In no way shape or form has Touch of Evil been restored to Welles' original vision. The "preview" version discovered in the 70's was longer than the the theatrical, but was still an edit done by the studio after the film was taken away from Welles. The reconstructed version released in the 90's (long after Welles had passed) attempted to re-edit the film based on the infamous memo Welles wrote after seeing the studio cut, but was still heavily compromised. As good as it is in its current form, we'll never know what Touch of Evil would have looked like had Welles finished it himself.
Old 03-14-17, 04:11 PM

re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release

Unfinished Orson Welles Film Gets a Netflix Commitment
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/m...ment.html?_r=0
Old 03-15-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Netflix

Wow, what a strange development.
Old 03-15-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Netflix

I believe I gave money to this during a Kickstarter campaign. But they didn't raise enough.
Old 03-15-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't the other side of the wind just more wind?
Old 03-15-17, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I believe I gave money to this during a Kickstarter campaign. But they didn't raise enough.
I did too... on IndieGoGo. They hadn't given an update for over a year and I was pissed. I'm glad to see that Netflix will still allow them to produce a limited run of Blu/DVD.
Old 11-09-17, 07:34 AM

Orson Welles’ Final Film ‘Other Side of the Wind’ Nears Completion, Hires Post-Production Team
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/or...on-1202610052/
Old 07-25-18, 07:41 AM

Netflix has posted a November 2 drop date for streaming Orson Welles’ long-awaited The Other Side of the Wind and the Morgan Neville companion documentary They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead.

The films will be available to 125 million subscribers in 190 counties.

The news comes the same day as the Venice Film Festival announced the two movies will have their world premieres at the August 29 – September 8 fest. (Screening dates have not yet been announced.)

Theatrical plans were not revealed, but the November 2 streaming date was posted on Netflix’s press website, along with the following descriptions of the films.

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND

In 1970, legendary director Orson Welles (Citizen Kane) began filming what would ultimately be his final cinematic opus with a cast of luminaries that included John Huston, Peter Bogdanovich, Susan Strasberg and Welles’s partner during his later years, Oja Kodar. Beset by financial issues, the production ultimately stretched to 1976 and soon gained industry-wide notoriety, never to be completed or released. More than a thousand reels of film languished in a Paris vault until March 2017, when producers Frank Marshall (who served as a production manager on Wind during in its initial shooting) and Filip Jan Rymsza spearheaded efforts to have Welles’s vision completed more than 30 years after his death.

Featuring a new score by Oscar-winning composer Michel Legrand (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) and assembled by a technical team including Oscar-winning editor Bob Murawski (The Hurt Locker), The Other Side of the Wind tells the story of famed filmmaker J.J. “Jake” Hannaford (Huston), who returns to Hollywood after years in self-exile in Europe with plans to complete work on his own innovative comeback movie. A satire of the classic studio system as well as the new establishment who were shaking things up at the time, Welles’s final film is both a fascinating time capsule of a now-distant era in moviemaking as well as the long-awaited “new” work from an indisputable master of his craft.

THEY’LL LOVE ME WHEN I’M DEAD

Oscar-winning director Morgan Neville (20 Feet from Stardom) tells the provocative story of legendary director Orson Welles during the final 15 years of his life. No longer the “wonder boy” of Citizen Kane, Welles in 1970 was an artist in exile looking for his Hollywood comeback with a project called The Other Side of the Wind. For years, Welles worked on the film about an aging film director trying to finish his last great movie. Welles shot the picture guerrilla-style in chaotic circumstances with a devoted crew of young dreamers, all the while struggling with financiers and fate. In 1985, Welles died, leaving as his final testament the most famous unfinished film in movie history. The negative stayed in a vault for decades until now. With revelatory new insights from Welles collaborators including Peter Bogdanovich, Frank Marshall, Oja Kodar and daughter Beatrice Welles, They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead is the untold final chapter of one of the greatest careers in film history: brilliant, innovative, defiant and unbowed.

The completion of the legendary unfinished film was spearheaded by producers Filip Jan Rymsza, who spent years brokering complex deals with rights holders, and Frank Marshall, Welles’ line producer on the 1970s shoot. Peter Bogdanovich, who was tasked by Welles to finish the movie in the event of his death, served as an executive producer.

Last edited by dex14; 08-31-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 09:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Net

I’m really looking forward to a double feature of this that week.
Old 07-25-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Net

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
So many half finished films and films ripped from his hands and gutted by the studio.
It is so strange.
I don't know of another Director who had that problem to that degree with studios.
I don't get it...
Old 07-25-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
It is so strange.
I don't know of another Director who had that problem to that degree with studios.
I don't get it...
Erich Von Stroheim had it worse. Considered one of the greatest directors in the silent era, his directing career was over by 1933 and he spent another 20+ years acting, mostly in Europe. They're still looking for the missing reels from GREED.

In SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950), he plays the butler of one-time silent star Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) and is revealed to have been her director. They even use a clip from an actual uncompleted film (QUEEN KELLY) that starred Swanson and was directed by Von Stroheim. Talk about rubbing it in...

Old 08-30-18, 12:43 PM

Old 08-30-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to this.
The trailer looks great.
Old 08-30-18, 01:18 PM

Old 08-30-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post

In SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950), he plays the butler of one-time silent star Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) and is revealed to have been her director. They even use a clip from an actual uncompleted film (QUEEN KELLY) that starred Swanson and was directed by Von Stroheim. Talk about rubbing it in...

I recall that scene.
SB is one of the all-time great movies.
Old 08-31-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Regarding post #12

I love this review. No one has ever seen this film. I’ve waited most of my life to see it. I contributed to the kickstarter. This review is supposed to make people want to see the picture. And then right near the bottom it straight up has a massive spoiler about the ending! Holy shit. Take that thing down. What dumb fuck would write that?
Old 08-31-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Review?
Old 08-31-18, 02:10 PM

It isn't a review. It is an article with the press release from Netflix. Unfortunately, the article continued below the press release. I have removed that part of it.

Last edited by dex14; 08-31-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ahhh
Old 08-31-18, 03:25 PM

An actual review :

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/t...es-1202919545/
Old 08-31-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news about this. Can't wait to watch.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.