Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Net

Originally Posted by Brian T
After reading that, I'm even more enthused to see it.
Old 08-31-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Net

Looking forward to watching both!
Old 09-25-18, 06:06 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H_kOsnGzfYY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-18, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

That trailer gave me wood. I want to see both films so very badly.
Old 11-01-18, 08:19 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Both films will be up on Netflix tomorrow.
Old 11-05-18, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about this on the forum. Anyway - I'm a huge Orson fan - and - well - yup, I was disappointed. Incredibly interesting, a unique relic of a time, but I just couldn't care less about any of the characters. And while the editing and different filming techniques, at the time, were very adventurous, Orson had already achieved this style with F FOR FAKE, and going even further back, with THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH.

And the accompanying documentary was fine - nothing that hasn't been hashed out before.

Would be interested to hear what others think.
Old 11-09-18, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just me, then?
Old 11-09-18, 09:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, at least. I'm hoping to watch it this weekend.
Old 11-09-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked it and the documentaries. I feel like 2018 audiences dodged a bullet with the Peter Bogdanovich/Rich Little re-casting.
Old 11-09-18, 11:06 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I really liked the film. It’s an intriguing pastiche and truly a stab at creating something “new” in cinema. It’s experimental without being too pretentious.

It’s like a mash up of Godard’s Contempt and Antonioni’s English language films.

I’d like some kind of subtitle or commentary track that points out every cameo, because the film is loaded with Hollywood people who I sort of only know by name.

Also, Cameron Crowe is listed in the credits. I always heard he was in this. I wish they’d interviewed him and/or at least pointed him out in the documentary.

This brings me to the doc. It wasn’t that good. It was way too focused on production anecdotes and provided almost no information on how this cut was constructed, what map they followed, etc to conclude this was Orson’s intended vision. It does have great footage from the end of his career however. That stuff was cool. The doc just didn’t address what I wanted to know.

So I supported this on go fund me or whatever, will I get a Blu-ray?
Old 11-09-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is another production documentary on Netflix that is worth checking out. It's listed as a bonus on "Other Side of the Wind." It focuses more on the editing/production.
Old 11-09-18, 12:47 PM
Banned

Oh, really. Thanks.
Old 11-10-18, 10:05 AM
Banned

Okay. Now I’m confused. There’s Welles’ film The Other Side of the Wind, and there’s a doc called They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead. Is there a second doc?
Old 11-10-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Depends on what level you supported it. Check whatever website you used.
Old 11-10-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

You'll get a signed picture of Orson Welles, but the ink will still be wet.
Old 11-10-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay. Now I’m confused. There’s Welles’ film The Other Side of the Wind, and there’s a doc called They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead. Is there a second doc?
Yes, it’s titled “A Final Cut for Orson.” It’s available in the “Trailers and More” section when you are on Other Side of The Wind.
Old 11-11-18, 09:29 AM
Banned

Wow. That’s really hidden.
Old 11-11-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I watched the They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead documentary yesterday. It was nothing mind blowing but it was enjoyable.

Welles seemed like a cool guy. The kind of guy I’d like to have a beer with and talk movies. He reminds me of a less assholish Hemingway.