DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623228-orson-welles%92-unfinished-film-other-side-wind-see-release-via-netflix.html)

melasnus 08-31-18 04:18 PM

Re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Net

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13399681)

After reading that, I'm even more enthused to see it. :D

cultshock 08-31-18 04:29 PM

Re: Orson Welles’ unfinished film "The Other Side of the Wind" to see release via Net

Looking forward to watching both! :up:

dex14 09-25-18 06:06 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H_kOsnGzfYY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hazel Motes 09-26-18 05:29 AM

That trailer gave me wood. I want to see both films so very badly.

dex14 11-01-18 08:19 AM

Both films will be up on Netflix tomorrow.

Seven%Solution 11-05-18 04:56 AM

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about this on the forum. Anyway - I'm a huge Orson fan - and - well - yup, I was disappointed. Incredibly interesting, a unique relic of a time, but I just couldn't care less about any of the characters. And while the editing and different filming techniques, at the time, were very adventurous, Orson had already achieved this style with F FOR FAKE, and going even further back, with THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH.

And the accompanying documentary was fine - nothing that hasn't been hashed out before.

Would be interested to hear what others think.

Seven%Solution 11-09-18 09:07 AM

Just me, then?

Dan 11-09-18 09:21 AM

Thanks for the reminder, at least. :) I'm hoping to watch it this weekend.

pjflyer 11-09-18 09:29 AM

I really liked it and the documentaries. I feel like 2018 audiences dodged a bullet with the Peter Bogdanovich/Rich Little re-casting.

Mabuse 11-09-18 11:06 AM

I really liked the film. It’s an intriguing pastiche and truly a stab at creating something “new” in cinema. It’s experimental without being too pretentious.

It’s like a mash up of Godard’s Contempt and Antonioni’s English language films.

I’d like some kind of subtitle or commentary track that points out every cameo, because the film is loaded with Hollywood people who I sort of only know by name.

Also, Cameron Crowe is listed in the credits. I always heard he was in this. I wish they’d interviewed him and/or at least pointed him out in the documentary.

This brings me to the doc. It wasn’t that good. It was way too focused on production anecdotes and provided almost no information on how this cut was constructed, what map they followed, etc to conclude this was Orson’s intended vision. It does have great footage from the end of his career however. That stuff was cool. The doc just didn’t address what I wanted to know.

So I supported this on go fund me or whatever, will I get a Blu-ray?

pjflyer 11-09-18 11:44 AM

There is another production documentary on Netflix that is worth checking out. It's listed as a bonus on "Other Side of the Wind." It focuses more on the editing/production.

Mabuse 11-09-18 12:47 PM

Oh, really. Thanks.

Mabuse 11-10-18 10:05 AM

Okay. Now I’m confused. There’s Welles’ film The Other Side of the Wind, and there’s a doc called They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead. Is there a second doc?

TomOpus 11-10-18 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13441218)

Depends on what level you supported it. Check whatever website you used.

Ash Ketchum 11-10-18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13441218)

You'll get a signed picture of Orson Welles, but the ink will still be wet.

pjflyer 11-10-18 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13441706)
Okay. Now I’m confused. There’s Welles’ film The Other Side of the Wind, and there’s a doc called They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead. Is there a second doc?

Yes, it’s titled “A Final Cut for Orson.” It’s available in the “Trailers and More” section when you are on Other Side of The Wind.

Mabuse 11-11-18 09:29 AM

Wow. That’s really hidden.

GoldenJCJ 11-11-18 10:03 AM

I watched the They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead documentary yesterday. It was nothing mind blowing but it was enjoyable.

Welles seemed like a cool guy. The kind of guy I’d like to have a beer with and talk movies. He reminds me of a less assholish Hemingway. :lol: