Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-14-15, 10:54 AM   #76
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Thor: Ragnarok (11/3/2017, D: Waititi) - News, rumors, etc.

I still think Thor is a pretty good film. It was a good fish out of water film and I feel like it worked pretty well overall. The second one is weaker though I agree. Still didn't mind either of them though.
Old 10-14-15, 11:24 AM   #77
Banned

1 is ok. It still still has some big flaws though. It's very wishy washy in quality.
The romance aspect of the films are pretty fucking huge in being narrative issues. It's just so weakly constructed. Jane is a crap character too.

Loki is the biggest quality constant. And it sure as hell isn't cuz of the scripts. It's all performance when it comes to Loki being awesome.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-14-15 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-14-15, 11:34 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

I feel like Jane fit more in with the first film since Thor was on Earth and was discovered by her. The second film she seemed a lot more shoehorned in I agree.
Old 10-14-15, 11:41 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Thor: Ragnarok (11/3/2017) - News, rumors, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
They really did some odd plot wrangling to make Foster relevant in Thor 2. But Portman's just biding her time for when she can take over as Thor...
It certainly would not be the first time that she's handled Thor's hammer.

- Demetri Martin
Old 10-14-15, 12:33 PM   #80

Re: Thor: Ragnarok (11/3/2017) - News, rumors, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It certainly would not be the first time that she's handled Thor's hammer.
I knew I should have bought the unrated cut on BD.
Old 10-14-15, 12:36 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

I just don't like that they're going to inject humor into the project, because it's too dark. What the fuck - of course it's fucking dark it's ARMAFUCKINGGEDDON!

/rant
Old 10-14-15, 01:23 PM   #82
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really enjoyed the first movie and felt they set up the character well. The second movie had a weak villain (in the comics he is a great villain) and it felt too much like a fill in story to get to the Infinity War movies rather than anything standing on its own two feet. Still, i had fun with it. Just wish they had gone bigger. Thor movies need to be grand in scale, and the first movie i felt captured this quite well. The battle at the beginning of the second movie is an example of it being small in scope. The battle was pretty battle done and the explosions were tiny. For a cosmic movie i expect more than just a couple of explosions, a few huts and a couple of cosplay Vikings being kicked around. Hopeful for part 3 though.
Old 10-14-15, 01:52 PM   #83
Banned

It's the end of all things. Things should be pretty dark. The Thor humor sucks anyway, it takes it too far.
Old 10-14-15, 01:53 PM   #84
DVD Talk Godfather

Thor/Hulk were some of the best moments of Avengers, so i'm perfectly fine with them paired up and having some humor in there.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-14-15, 02:03 PM   #85

Old 10-14-15, 02:15 PM   #86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Thor/Hulk were some of the best moments of Avengers, so i'm perfectly fine with them paired up and having some humor in there.
Different tones though. I think we'd need more drama than humor for Ragnarok cuz it's Ragnarok. That's kind of a serious tone already. Avengers works well in all kinds of tones. Ragnarok... not so much. Some humor, sure. But not Thor movie humor levels.
Old 10-14-15, 02:53 PM   #87
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Different tones though. I think we'd need more drama than humor for Ragnarok cuz it's Ragnarok. That's kind of a serious tone already. Avengers works well in all kinds of tones. Ragnarok... not so much. Some humor, sure. But not Thor movie humor levels.
Not for me, I'd rather this movie not be so dark and maintain some of the humor we've seen in the past Thor movies.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-14-15, 02:57 PM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

I think even a serious/dark story in the MCU isn't going to be overly serious or dark in tone. Feige basically said as much a few months back.
Old 12-02-15, 08:16 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
December 02, 2015 3:30pm PT by Borys Kit
'Thor 3' Lands New Writer (Exclusive)

Stephany Folsom has been tapped to work on the script for Thor: Ragnarok.

It’s the first move on the Marvel Studios project since early October, when Taika Waititi, who co-wrote and co-directed the vampire spoof What We Do In the Shadows, came on board to helm the project, the third installment of Marvel’s Thor movies.

Chris Hemsworth will be back as the Norse god of thunder for the film that is also due to feature a team-up with the Hulk.

Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle previously worked on the script.

Folsom is the latest female writer to be brought into the Marvel stable, whose stock in trade is a genre that many think of as male-oriented. Marvel already had Nicole Perlman as a writer on Guardians of the Galaxy and she is now writing Captain Marvel with another female screenwriter, Meg LeFauve (Inside Out).

Folsom is best known for her 2013 Black List script 1969: A Space Odyssey or How Kubrick Learned to Stop Worrying and Land on the Moon. The drama earned high marks in its alternate-history telling of a publicist that convinces filmmaker Stanley Kubrick to work with NASA in order to fake the moon landing.

Folsom also wrote script for The Princess of North Sudan, Disney’s unique princess tale inspired by the true account of an American man claiming a territory in Africa and proclaiming himself and his family its royal rulers.

She is repped by Verve and Kaplan/Perrone.
Old 12-10-15, 07:44 PM   #90

Quote:
Oscar-winner Cate Blanchett may soon be joining the Marvel universe.

Sources tell Variety Blanchett is in talks to play one of the new female leads in Marvel’s “Thor: Ragnarok.” Marvel had no comment.

Blanchett, having just received SAG and Golden Globe nominations for “Carol,” would be making her first major comic book role in “Ragnarok.”

Taika Waiti in on board to direct the third “Thor” film with Chris Hemsworth returning to play the Norse God. Stephany Folsom recently polished the script.

Blanchett’s character in the superhero sequel isn’t known. “Ragnarok,” produced by Kevin Feige, will also feature Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk and the villainous Tom Hiddleston who plays Loki in “The Avengers” universe.

“Thor: Ragnarok” hits theaters on Nov. 3, 2017.

Blanchett is no stranger to the fanboy universe, having appeared in multiple “Lord of the Rings” and “Hobbit” films for Peter Jackson.

She recently starred in 1950s lesbian drama “Carol,” which led all Golden Globe nominees on Thursday, scoring five nominations, including Best Picture and Best Actress for Blanchett.

In addition to “Carol,” the Australian star also appeared in “Truth” and Disney’s “Cinderella” remake earlier this year.

She is repped by CAA.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ca...ok-1201658846/
Old 12-10-15, 08:59 PM   #91
Banned

Blond character.... Enchantress?

I'm happy to have her though. Love her work.
Old 12-10-15, 10:28 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Enchantress or Death. She'll rock either one.
Old 12-11-15, 12:39 AM   #93
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She'd elevate the movie for sure. The Thor movies have been enjoyable as big-budget versions of Masters of the Universe, but that's about it. It'd be nice to get a better film the third time out...
Old 12-11-15, 03:33 AM   #94
Banned

It'd be great to an all around good movie. They're the weakest of the bunch when compared to Cap and IM.
Old 12-11-15, 09:58 PM   #95
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cate would definitely greatly enhance the movie and become the hottest Aussie in the cast. I like that Marvel is willing to go outside the box a bit and get Cate Blanchett/Tilda Swinton type of actors in their movies.
Old 12-12-15, 06:55 PM   #96
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cate would be better suited as Death rather than Enchantress. Enchantress needs to be sex on legs, and Cate is not that. Margot Robbie would have been great, but DC got to her first.
Old 12-12-15, 07:10 PM   #97
Banned

Depending... Death has also been a somewhat sexy entity at times. I think it has to do with who encounters her. For Deadpool. She's sexually infused body. For Thanos...she's very reserved and elegant, W/ the skull face or not. For others. She's a serious bitch to be somewhat respected and feared.

Spoiler:

I really liked how the Deadpool game made her look. Mexican sugar skull design.
Old 12-12-15, 09:48 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

Those are cool designs. I think Cate could do the Mistress Death style justice since she's actually elegant in general.
Old 01-25-16, 03:07 PM   #99

Quote:
The mysterious Thor: Ragnarok is still in the depths of a re-write, as director Taika Waititi is currently attending the Sundance Film Festival with his movie Hunt for the Wilderpeople is debuting. Right now, the writers on the project include Christopher Yost (Thor: The Dark World), Craig Kyle (Iron Man: Armored Adventures), and current scribe Stephany Folsom, who are working together to craft a new Thor: Ragnarok script into a story Birth Movies Death called Marvel’s “darkest yet.” Watititi has told Sundance press that he’s likely to add more jokes to his Thor movie before it reaches the cameras, but the details of the film are still foggy at best, because the details are shifting.

We at Geek.com have been in contact with sources about the content of Thor: Ragnarok as it currently stands, which is how we’ve been able to bring you news about the whereabouts of Odin during this movie, as well as Cate Blanchett’s villainous role as Hela, the Norse God of the underworld and ruler of the dead in the Asgardian power structure. Now, we have new details on how Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk will enter the movie, something the actor has been talking about in recent weeks. Despite having not read the script yet, Ruffalo has described Ragnarok as a Universal road movie or like the 1980s movie Midnight Run with the Hulk and Thor. He’s also teased that the Hulk’s personality and Banner’s personality have started to merge a bit.

Spoiler:
What we’ve learned has lined up with what Ruffalo is sharing, plus a long-standing rumor about the future of the Hulk dating back to fandom’s post-Avengers cries in 2013. Back then, audiences were enthralled by that movie’s version of The Hulk and how he was funny, well-powered, and not a drag like he had been in the two previous Hulk movies that made it to screens.

The rumor was that Marvel was planning to weave the character through the Avengers “Phases” in a creative way, banishing the Hulk from Earth after Avengers 2, spinning off into his own Planet Hulk movie (based on the Greg Pak comics storyline of the same name) and returning him to Earth in Phase Three in some sort of World War Hulk (also a comic book storyline) Avengers movie. The specifics of that arc were outright denied by Marvel staff over and over again, leading up to Joss Whedon’s follow-up (Avengers: Age of Ultron) and after the Hulk mysteriously steals a Quinjet and disappears at the end of that movie.

When Joss Whedon was asked if Planet Hulk or World War Hulk were going to be a Phase Three movies, his response was: “Well I’m really not supposed to comment, but no, that’s nonsense.” Which is what makes what follows all the more amazing.

According to our sources, after Thor catches on to Hela and Loki’s (still mysterious) plot that is going down in Asgard, Hela destroys Mjolnir, and banishes Thor from Asgard (which we covered here). Loki and Hela’s plan involves the major arc of the Marvel Universe, and just when it looks like Thor is about to put a stop to it, he gets banished — but not to any old planet. He ends up on a gladiatorial planet where his head is shaved and he’s forced to fight for his life. Let’s call this planet Sakaar, like it was in the comic books.

Thor knows that he has to get to some MacGuffin weapon object to defeat Hela and Loki (could this be the Infinity Gauntlet that Thanos is in possession of, or maybe an assemblage of Infinity Stones?) and he has to get off the planet. Thor runs through all of his alien opponents in gladiatorial combat, even without his trademark hammer. Finally, Thor has to face the current champion of the arena, and wouldn’t you know who that ends up being? The Hulk.

When we reconnect with Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok, he’s managed to avoid reverting back to the Banner state since we last saw him in the Quinjet in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Hulk in Hulk form is pretty much unkillable, so he survived the trip to Sakaar (however he got there). His “Banner” is starting to seep through into the Hulk persona, and because of the Hulk-Banner melding, Hulk actually remembers Thor and his relationship to him. That’s what starts the two on a Midnight Run to the MacGuffin that Thor desperately needs.

Some of these details could shift like the sands of time considering the shooting script for Thor: Ragnarok hasn’t been locked down, but sources confirm that the outline is there: Marvel found a way to include the Planet Hulk storyline without having to attempt a solo Hulk movie where everyone is a CGI character, not to mention dealing with the character’s solo movie rights (which has some sort of hold-up with Universal). Instead, gladiator Chris Hemsworth will be the audience’s focus as Thor picks up Hulk on his road-trip through the stars.

Thor: Ragnarok will be in theaters November 3, 2017.
http://www.geek.com/news/exclusive-h...ealed-1645446/
Old 01-25-16, 03:29 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Regarding the "spoiler" above...

Spoiler:
I really wish one of the fighters would be Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

I know it won't happen, but it would be awesome.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca