Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Ragnarok (11/3/2017, D: Waititi) - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Thor: Ragnarok (11/3/2017, D: Waititi) - News, rumors, etc.

Old 06-21-15, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Thor: Ragnarok (11/3/2017) - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I like the first Thor movie a lot. The second Thor movie is just OK. Not bad, not great, just OK.

I'll still go to see Thor 3 when it comes out. And I love Natalie Portman in the Thor movies.
Love Portman in the Thor movies for what? Being a mostly generic damsel in distress? I cared more for Sif than I did for Jane Foster. By this point, having Jane Foster in the movies is pointless cuz it really seems like shit is going way beyond where Foster needs to be.
Old 06-21-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The first is interesting for the novelty value of being directed bygone Kenneth Branagh and having a vaguely King Lear-inflected narrative and some of Branagh's usual colorful trappings, even if it's basically just a usual origin story. The second was made by someone who usually makes TV, and it really shows. It feels perfunctory, muddled, and the fantasy trappings feel sub-Peter Jackson, IMO.
That's not fair, the guy directs shows like Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. Let's not dismiss him like he's doing Modern Family. He directed episodes of Game of Thrones, which films in four countries and costs $1 million per episode, it's very cinematic. We also know that he clashed with the studio over the editing of the film, and it probably would have been better if he was allowed to follow his vision.
Old 06-21-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
That's not fair, the guy directs shows like Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. Let's not dismiss him like he's doing Modern Family. He directed episodes of Game of Thrones, which films in four countries and costs $1 million per episode, it's very cinematic. We also know that he clashed with the studio over the editing of the film, and it probably would have been better if he was allowed to follow his vision.
Agreed.
Old 06-21-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
To be fair, the guys who have directed episodes of sitcoms made a better Marvel film than Taylor did.

The material sucked to begin with, Taylor did jackshit to elevate it.
Old 06-21-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
To be fair, the guys who have directed episodes of sitcoms made a better Marvel film than Taylor did.

The material sucked to begin with, Taylor did jackshit to elevate it.
Community > Modern Family by miles.
Old 06-21-15, 02:00 PM
Banned

I'm not a sitcom guy at all but let us not overplay the quality of a sitcom. Very fucking few are actually worth a damn. Taylor made one film that got issues w/ editing and the whatnot. That shit is beyond his control for the most part.

Community thankfully isn't a sitcom like others. It actually moves around and doesn't limit its characters to static environments and situations.
Old 06-22-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Love Portman in the Thor movies for what? Being a mostly generic damsel in distress? I cared more for Sif than I did for Jane Foster. By this point, having Jane Foster in the movies is pointless cuz it really seems like shit is going way beyond where Foster needs to be.
They really did some odd plot wrangling to make Foster relevant in Thor 2. But Portman's just biding her time for when she can take over as Thor...
Old 06-22-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been hearing that rumor alot lately.
Old 06-22-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Never watched one episode of Community but I dig Modern Family. The red hair guy and his husband are hysterical. My favorite episode is where they take their Asian adopted daughter to the doctor cuz she hit her head and they're panicking. The fat one asks the doctor, who is Asian, if it's pronounced "Fo" or "Fuh" as in reference to the noodles. I was rolling!

I'll watch Community some day.
Old 06-22-15, 04:12 PM
Banned

Sometimes I just don't know you, man.
Old 06-22-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What a great story.
Old 06-22-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-01-15, 01:34 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Feige says, “probably towards the end of the summer we would announce a filmmaker and a writer. May be the same person, I don’t know, may be two different people.”

As to the recent rumor that they would bring back Kenneth “Unnecessary Canted Angles” Branagh for another Thor film, Feige responded, “Not true. I don’t know where that came from.”
http://collider.com/thor-3-ragnarok-director/
Old 10-02-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

‘Thor 3’ Finds Its Director in Taika Waititi
October 2, 2015 | 01:32PM PT
Dave McNary
Film Reporter @Variety_DMcNary

Taika Waititi is in negotiations to direct “Thor: Ragnorak,” the third installment of Marvel’s “Thor” movies.

Waititi co-wrote and directed the vampire spoof “What We Do in the Shadows.”

Chris Hemsworth will return as the superhero. Kenneth Branagh directed the original “Thor” and Alan Taylor helmed “Thor: The Dark World.”

Waititi is represented by CAA and Manage-ment.
Old 10-02-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well this is certainly unexpected. Loved WWDITS, but for a seemingly heavy Thor film? Hmmmm
Old 10-02-15, 04:15 PM
Banned

Never heard of the filmmaker or the film they made. Should I watch that film?

EDIT: Yeah, I saw GL once... I don't even remember what he looked like in that one.

Another filmmaker that seems like could be easily "controlled" or whatever, I make it sound bad but Marvel doesn't really branch out to more Captains for a director. Whedon is one thing. But it'd be great if they got bigger directors doing their films. The Thor films have been the worst ones out of the MCU characters that have solo film franchises. They really really need to get a solid script going w/ a villain worth a damn. Hiddleston will be in it again which is always awesome but he's a Marvel crutch. And it isn't the writing making Loki awesome... it's Hiddleston. They need to actually give a soul to the Thor films. They're so generic.
Old 10-02-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Snake, What We Do... rules. Watch it.
Old 10-02-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Well this is certainly unexpected. Loved WWDITS, but for a seemingly heavy Thor film? Hmmmm
Let's just hope it turns out as well as when they got "Community" directors to do Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Old 10-02-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm fairly sure that whoever gets picked to direct by Marvel is watched very, very closely.
Old 10-12-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hulk to appear in Ragnarok?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/excl...r-ragnarok-333

Hot on the heels of NYCC, we’ve gotten word from our inside sources that THOR: RAGNAROK will see Chris Hemsworth’s Thor team up with none other than Mark Ruffalo’s HULK for the Odinson's third solo film, which finds the God of Thunder facing what amounts to the Norse Apocalypse. Only this time out he'll have some help from a fellow Avenger.

Mark Ruffalo joins Tom Hiddleston (also confirmed by our sources) and Jaimie Alexander in RAGNAROK, which we’ve also heard will involve a “distant planet” that is "not Asgard and not Earth." What does that mean? Certainly the theory will be made that this is where Marvel will work in the long-rumored Planet Hulk storyline, and although we can’t completely verify that, we can’t completely deny it either. I’ll leave it to you on how you want to place your bets, but I know where my money is going. Regardless, Ruffalo is on board. As to how much time he’ll spend as Hulk vs. Banner, we can’t say, only that he’s absolutely part of the supporting cast and will feature prominently.
Old 10-12-15, 12:37 PM
Banned

I guess somebody transported him offworld. Cuz Quinjet or not, he can't do it himself.
Old 10-14-15, 09:14 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

THOR: RAGNAROK Has Marvel’s Darkest Script Yet

You can tell from the title that shit hits the fan in Thor: Raganrok, but just how serious is the movie? It's so serious, so dark, that Marvel decided to hire a comedy director to bring a touch of lightness to the proceedings. Yes, Taika Waititi was hired to balance out the grimness of the script and bring it tonally a little closer to what Marvel fans have come to expect.

That's what sources deep inside Disney are whispering to me, anyway. Waititi may yet be joined by another writer to help brighten the corners of Ragnarok while maintaining writer Christopher Yost's apocalyptic vibe. One way that may happen is to up the humor between Thor and Hulk, who I have been led to believe will be not only appearing in the movie but will be playing a major role. The two heroes will be taking a cosmic road trip together, Hope and Crosby style.

Along the way they're going to meet Valkyries, as you might expect from a story about the Norse end of the world, but my source tells me that besides the Valkyries (generic) the film might launch Marvel superheroine Valkyrie into the Cinematic Universe. First introduced in the pages of The Avengers, Valkryie, aka Brunnhilde, was a longtime member of The Defenders, hung out with Doctor Strange and had Norse goddess The Enchantress as her enemy. In fact it was an Enchantress story that introduced Valkyrie in the comics - could this mean we'll see The Enchantress finally make it to the screen? I'm not entirely clear on how Valkyrie is being used - it could be in the group of Norse mythological beings who bring the gods to Valhalla after they die or it could be as the standalone superheroine. This part is a little muddled, and I'm trying to get further clarity from other sources - it's hard out there because all of my Marvel sources have clammed up after the regime change. All I know for sure is that Marvel thinks they're going to cast some great women in this movie.

Keep Valkyrie in mind as you hear rumors about women meeting with Marvel. If the superheroine is joining the MCU (and you have to think it's a good idea), the studio will be meeting with many powerful women who could also play Captain Marvel. It's going to be an interesting rumor season leading up to Thor: Ragnarok.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/10/...est-script-yet
Old 10-14-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Re: Thor: Ragnarok (11/3/2017, D: Waititi) - News, rumors, etc.

Prediction: Every review of this movie will use the headline "Raknarok & Roll."
Old 10-14-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Liking that this film might lead to Planet Hulk. Also Enchantress could be cool to see on screen.
Old 10-14-15, 09:47 AM
Banned

still iffy on this one, cuz the two Thor films have crap scripts and weak execution for plot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.