Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paddington (1/16/15 D: King) S: Kidman, Bonneville, Hawkins

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-14-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From the beloved novels by Michael Bond and producer David Heyman (HARRY POTTER), PADDINGTON tells the story of the comic misadventures of a young Peruvian bear who travels to the city in search of a home. Finding himself lost and alone, he begins to realize that city life is not all he had imagined - until he meets the kindly Brown family who read the label around his neck that says "Please look after this bear. Thank you," and offer him a temporary haven. It looks as though his luck has changed until this rarest of bears catches the eye of a museum taxidermist

Movie is less than 3 days from opening, and didn't find a thread on it. Thought this liked a good family film. Will be taking my son to it next week

Sitting at 96% at Rotten Tomatoes and 77% at Metacritic.
Old 01-14-15, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts
Re: Paddington (1/16/15 D:King)S: Kidman, Bonneville, Hawkins

I'm surprised this wasn't released a month or two ago for the Holidays. It seems like it's got Thanksgiving/Christmas written all over it and with such slim pickings this last holiday season I'm sure it could have made more money than it will being released in the middle of January.
Old 01-14-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm surprised this wasn't released a month or two ago for the Holidays. It seems like it's got Thanksgiving/Christmas written all over it and with such slim pickings this last holiday season I'm sure it could have made more money than it will being released in the middle of January.
It was released for the Holidays in the UK, but in the US its friday. kind of strange really.
Old 01-14-15, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was thinking about starting a thread after seeing the high reviews. I thought the trailers for this looked atrocious, particularly how slapstick Paddington looked with flooding the bathroom (i swear there was some discussion about that here, but I guess not.)
Old 01-14-15, 07:13 AM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts
Re: Paddington (1/16/15 D: King) S: Kidman, Bonneville, Hawkins

This has a stigma in my head because Colin Firth made it sound like it was shit, when he abruptly dropped out of the movie as the voice of the bear.
Old 01-14-15, 07:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This movie looks like it'll be the balls. I'm in.
Old 01-14-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

It just looks like an average family comedy film. I don't think it looks that terrible really.
Old 01-14-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
This has a stigma in my head because Colin Firth made it sound like it was shit, when he abruptly dropped out of the movie as the voice of the bear.
I'm wondering if he just didn't want to be involved with a child's film?

every little snippet I've read at rotten tomatoes leads me to believe that the whole family might actually enjoy this one.
Old 01-14-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The cast looks pretty good for this sort of thing.
Old 01-14-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Might as well link the trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CxeBdrGGU8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-15-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Paddington was the 5th highest grossing film in the UK in 2014
Old 01-15-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
It was released for the Holidays in the UK, but in the US its friday. kind of strange really.
1. Too much family competition during the holidays between the releases of Annie, The Hobbit, Night at the Museum 3, and Into the Woods alongside the already-released Penguins of Madagascar, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, and Big Hero 6.

2. This weekend is a holiday weekend so kids are out of school.
Old 01-17-15, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the movie theatre lines were long tonight, I decided to take in a later showing of this movie, figuring I'd get some extra leg space. Found it enjoyable. A good one to take the family to.

Never liked marmalade as a kid, but now I almost want to give it another try.
Old 01-17-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I was thinking about starting a thread after seeing the high reviews. I thought the trailers for this looked atrocious, particularly how slapstick Paddington looked with flooding the bathroom (i swear there was some discussion about that here, but I guess not.)
I thought so too based on the trailer. Just came back from it and I thought it was a very, very good family film. I don't want to use "Babe" as the comparison, since it's not that good, but it's not far off a comparison. It's a wonderful film that's sweet and fun. It feels like one that could become more popular, maybe a family classic over time - it has a timeless quality. Nice to occasionally go to a kids' film that doesn't have a ton of popular culture references, poop and fart jokes (though there is one manure gag at the end) or tons of popular songs that date it in just a couple of years (there are a couple of musical cues, but old ones and they're brief).

Originally Posted by dex14
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I'm wondering if he just didn't want to be involved with a child's film?
He's done one before :
Spoiler:

Honestly I think it was smart for him to drop out since Hugh Bonneville is basically doing the Colin Firth part anyway. Hell, he even shares the same character name : Mr. Brown

I thought Nicole Kidman was great - her first good comedic role since To Die For (sorry Bewitched, Stepford Wives and Just Go With It).
Old 01-28-15, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. This thing has a 98% at RT?! DAMN.
Old 01-28-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

WTF? It looked like garbage from the trailers. Maybe they're hiding something.
Old 01-28-15, 05:28 PM
Banned

I thought the same fucking thing. Looked like generic crap. A family movie... with that high of a score?!
Old 01-28-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

It's directed by the guy that made Mighty Boosh, so I'd hope for some subversive humor mixed in.

Most people know that show from this NSFW youtube clip:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XxaP19pY1FI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That said, it's a family movie so who knows.
Old 01-28-15, 09:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought this had a great cast and the director showed some visual flair - thank god Colin didn't voice Paddington - Ben's voicing is way more appropriate.
Old 01-29-15, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Wow. This thing has a 98% at RT?! DAMN.
Originally Posted by bluetoast
WTF? It looked like garbage from the trailers. Maybe they're hiding something.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I thought the same fucking thing. Looked like generic crap. A family movie... with that high of a score?!
The Trailers really do it no justice, it's a great family movie, the 'host' family is likeable and believable. There are a few hijinks with Paddington, but really it is a small portion of the movie. Definitely one of my favorites over the last couple of years.
Old 01-29-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Having to take the step daughter to see this tomorrow. Its weird as i remember the old BBC Paddington stop motion from when i was a kid, and never cared for it. Sounds like this might be more fun. Nostalgia at least i guess. Now where is the Rent-a-ghost movie they were talking about a few years back?
Old 01-29-15, 10:06 AM

I thought more about it. Babe isn't the right comparison, but Stuart Little is. Just like that film this takes a beloved source book and makes a charming little movie out of it benefited by really good special effects and a cast that's both sweet and totally committed to playing the parts as reality without any ironic winking to the audience. If you liked Stuart Little, you'd like this as well.
Old 01-29-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I thought more about it. Babe isn't the right comparison, but Stuart Little is. Just like that film this takes a beloved source book and makes a charming little movie out of it benefited by really good special effects and a cast that's both sweet and totally committed to playing the parts as reality without any ironic winking to the audience. If you liked Stuart Little, you'd like this as well.
So this is basically an M Night Shyamalan movie?
Old 01-29-15, 10:11 AM

Before he started to suck.
Old 01-31-15, 09:05 AM
Banned

Sooooo... I saw this yesterday. Wow. It's actually a good movie. Not sure if it was worth the 98% i saw at RT... but it was easily the best "family" movie in a long fucking time. Cuz.... most family films suck major cock. This one actually had a soul! How many movies made for kids are just flash with little substance? So goddamn many of them.

The trailers do no fucking justice to the movie. I'm fucking getting this for BD cuz it was damn good. Had heart and soul to it. This film should not exist today based on how things are done...but it does. It doesn't dumb itself down. It doesn't pander to just shit going on to entertain. It all has a narrative purpose. Fuck. I was so happy to see it too cuz I just had to see wtf those ratings were all about. I really wish more kids/family flicks had the drive to just tell a good story without having to worry about bringing in the normal bs comedy and flash. Everything was solid about it. Can't really say much bad about it.

Better than anything Disney and Dreamworks has done in a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.