Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Old 10-30-14, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Black Panther (7/6/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

I'd be cool with a morales flick. Parker hasn't been fun in a while.
Old 10-31-14, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm 100% behind doing Miles Morales Spider-Man movies. It's the best way to move that franchise in a new direction, with new talent involved, without doing yet another reboot. Before people come in and bitch about how iconic Peter Parker is... we've had five Peter Parker Spider-Man movies, and the last three sucked, let's try something new.
How about they actually nail a few good movies with the Peter Parker version of Spiderman first. Out of all 5 films only one was good (the second one). The first one had a lot of moments, but they destroyed the character of the Goblin so much that its impossible to achieve greatness. Dafoe was a great actor for the part, but the costume was pathetic.

And i doubt they will use Morales simply because most of the general public has little or no idea that the character ever changed from Peter Parker in the first place.
Old 10-31-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The Ancient One is Chinese. Considering Cage and Rand are getting their own little series.... Shang Chi might pop up.

I really wish we got Sunfire doing his thing in an X film.
The problem with Shang Chi is they have to carefully dance around who is dad is. Or maybe they would just ignore it.
Old 10-31-14, 08:16 AM
Banned

We could do without Mr. Fu Manchu.
Old 10-31-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
How about they actually nail a few good movies with the Peter Parker version of Spiderman first. Out of all 5 films only one was good (the second one). The first one had a lot of moments, but they destroyed the character of the Goblin so much that its impossible to achieve greatness. Dafoe was a great actor for the part, but the costume was pathetic.

And i doubt they will use Morales simply because most of the general public has little or no idea that the character ever changed from Peter Parker in the first place.
I would love that, but Sony has had five chances and only gotten in right twice. The creative talent needs to be changed if we're going to get a good Spider-Man film, and I do not want to see another origin story.
Old 10-31-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

We could do without Mr. Fu Manchu.
That's Dr. Fu Manchu. He didn't go to 8 years of yellow menace medical school to be called "Mr."
Old 11-03-14, 02:19 PM
Banned

Some rumor about how many flicks Boseman has for Marvel. Supposedly it's 5. If so...that's Cap 3, BP, Avengers 3 (pt1 and pt 2), and then what? Black Panther 2 perhaps?

We need a list of how many films each actor has/had in their contract.
Old 06-22-15, 05:48 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts
Re: Black Panther (7/6/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

This website, with no real track record, is saying that Ava DuVernay has been hired to direct: http://mcuexchange.com/exclusive-mar...black-panther/
Old 06-22-15, 06:02 PM
Banned

For those that don't know, She's the director of Selma. And I guess cuz it matters... she's black.

Never saw Selma. Had a cool trailer. Never saw her other stuff. Though they seem really interesting. Seems like she's had a very varied career. Film distribution, TV, Film, etc. Hrmm. Interesting lady.
Old 07-03-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Ava DuVernay Confirms She Is Not Directing ‘Black Panther’
JULY 3, 2015 | 01:42PM PT
Marianne Zumberge News Editor, Variety.com @marianniepants

Ava DuVernay has officially put an end to the rumors that she would be directing “Black Panther.”

In an interview with Essence on Friday, DuVernay provided a definitive answer concerning her possible involvement with the Marvel film.

“I’m not signing on to direct Black Panther,” she told the magazine. “I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me.”

She went on to suggest that there are no hard feelings between the studio and her. “I loved meeting Chadwick (Boseman) and writers and all the Marvel execs,” DuVernay said. “In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn’t see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later … I love the character of Black Panther, the nation of Wakanda and all that that could be visually. I wish them well and will be first in line to see it.”

The director, known for 2014’s “Selma,” seemed to cryptically contribute to these rumors herself. In response to activist Bree Newsome’s removal of the Confederate flag from the South Carolina capitol, she tweeted about directing “a motion picture about a black superhero I admire,” which many believed to be an allusion to “Panther” as well as Newsome’s act.

Marvel has slated the release of “Black Panther,” starring Boseman, for Nov. 3, 2017.
Old 07-03-15, 07:37 PM
Banned

Does it matter to you guys, if a black person directs Black Panther? I'm not sure how I feel about WB or Marvel going after a gender or a race to direct certain characters.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-03-15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care.. I just want the best person for the job.. don't diversify for the sake of diversity.
Old 07-03-15, 08:39 PM
Banned

That's the way it should be for the most part. The best person is the best person for a job. Very rarely do I feel a minority tackling a minority natured project making the quality or integrity rise. Though I see Malcolm X and do think a black man directing that made a huge ass difference. Mostly cuz Spike Lee has an external presentation w/ his racial personality flow forward toward subject matter that I just don't see how getting a woman to direct WW or Captain Marvel makes it already better. Or a black person for Black Panther.
Old 07-03-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no problems with a black person directing a Marvel movie. However, until debunked by Ava DuVernay herself, it seemed like they choose her just because she had directed a film about a black man. I checked her film list and nothing made it seem she would be good for a superhero/action/high sfx film.
Old 07-03-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't give a crap what race or gender the director is for these movies.
Old 07-04-15, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

Mostly cuz Spike Lee has an external presentation w/ his racial personality flow forward toward subject matter that I just don't see how getting a woman to direct WW or Captain Marvel makes it already better.
Exactly.
Old 07-04-15, 11:42 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So the powers that be have removed the Dukes of Hazard from television, but they're going to green light a movie called Black Panther. WTF?!
Old 07-04-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
I have no problems with a black person directing a Marvel movie. However, until debunked by Ava DuVernay herself, it seemed like they choose her just because she had directed a film about a black man. I checked her film list and nothing made it seem she would be good for a superhero/action/high sfx film.

That's what I thought about that dude that is doing the Spiderman reboot. On the basis of what? Clown?

Old 07-04-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's what I thought about that dude that is doing the Spiderman reboot. On the basis of what? Clown?

It seems like most directors get hired based on how well they perform in pitch meetings. Rather than their film catalog.
Old 07-10-15, 10:52 AM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Here's a decent article pulling for Walking Dead director Ernest Dickerson: https://tribecafilm.com/stories/blac...n-ava-duvernay
Old 07-10-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Just cause he's black?
Old 07-10-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I'd hope not. But he's fairly experience as a filmmaker. He was Spike Lee's DP for years, he's directed some features and tons of TV episodes, so he's definitely experienced.
Old 07-10-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, Fuqua is just as capable then. Same with Singleton. All of their bodies of work show they are serviceable.
Old 10-06-15, 02:18 PM
Banned

Rumors running around that F. Gary Gray is a "contender" for the directing gig. Honestly... I'm not sure why they think a black director would make this better but whatever. Same thing w/ WB going w/ a female for WW. Granted... Thor 2 almost had a female director. So Marvel looks at everyone but recently it seems they've hit that train that only the minority section can direct a minority centric led film.
Old 10-06-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumors running around that F. Gary Gray is a "contender" for the directing gig. Honestly... I'm not sure why they think a black director would make this better but whatever. Same thing w/ WB going w/ a female for WW. Granted... Thor 2 almost had a female director. So Marvel looks at everyone but recently it seems they've hit that train that only the minority section can direct a minority centric led film.
Fast 8 has a targeted date of April 14, 2017. Black Panther is scheduled for November 3, 2017. Its one or the other, he can't do both. He's not Spielberg nor does he have his ghost directing team.

Fast 8 is probably a better paying gig, especially after Furious 7 became one of the highest grossing films of all time and Straight Outta Compton did extremely well domestically. At the same time, Fast 8 is already an established franchise and Lin and Wan both left the franchise on not the best terms (Lin wanted more time between 6 and 7, Universal let Wan terminate his contract after everything that occurred during the production of 7).

At the same time, he has the ability to possibly launch an entire franchise with Black Panther. If Gray nails it, he could be offered the possibility to come back to direct sequels/spin-offs (or even executive produce) especially with Marvel's film division now under Feige's total control.

Either way he goes, he ends up second in command to either Diesel of Feige. Either way for him, its a win-win.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.