Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Old 02-15-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Why are we paying attention to IMDB scores? Not only have most of the people voting likely not seen it yet, but we also know that there's a group of people out there with a very vocal anti-Black Panther agenda whose expressed goal is to taint the scores/reviews online.
Yeah, IMDB is in danger of becoming irrelevant when it comes to audience scores/ratings. I used to use those ratings when I was in the fence about buying an older movie in DVD, but IMDB user ratings for modern movies are becoming pretty much worthless.
Old 02-15-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And a big EFF YOU to anyone who would intentionally fraudulently give negative scores to any movie, especially Black Panther.

Anyone who would give this movie negative scores because it has a mostly black cast is a worthless piece of crap.
Old 02-15-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 156 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I don't have a problem with black superheroes or a majority black cast. What I do have a problem with is having to listen to 2 hours of hip hop and rap for the soundtrack. Please tell me it is kept to a minimum.

Uhh...dude, do you understand that Black Panther is a film not a music concert right?
Old 02-15-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Uhh...dude, do you understand that Black Panther is a film not a music concert right?
Uhh, you realize I wrote about the soundtrack don't you?
Old 02-15-18, 01:26 PM

Received 156 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Uhh, you realize I wrote about the soundtrack don't you?

Uhh, you still have not answered the question, a yes or no would suffice.
Old 02-15-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't really paid attention to IMDB user scores for awhile now, I thought most folks like us on movie discussion forums kind of just ignore them as nonsense and largely a collection of extremes (I didn't like this movie or a particular actor so it gets 1 star).
Old 02-15-18, 01:39 PM

Received 527 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Yeah, IMDB is in danger of becoming irrelevant when it comes to audience scores/ratings. I used to use those ratings when I was in the fence about buying an older movie in DVD, but IMDB user ratings for modern movies are becoming pretty much worthless.
In danger of becoming irrelevant? Even at its best IMDB's ratings seem to reflect the tastes of a very specific audience. I know that this is beating a long dead horse, but according to IMDB, The Shawshank Redemption is the greatest movie of all time. Yeesh. And I'll go so far as to say that a year from now when Black Panther has 500,000 votes on the site (compared to the 20,000 it has now), the score will more or less accurately reflect the voters' honest reaction to the movie. It's only in the lead up to release when the ratio of fraudulent votes is much higher that the score is skewed.
Old 02-15-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I haven't really paid attention to IMDB user scores for awhile now, I thought most folks like us on movie discussion forums kind of just ignore them as nonsense and largely a collection of extremes (I didn't like this movie or a particular actor so it gets 1 star).
That actually wasn't the case until recently.

IMDB ratings have been really helpful in deciding whether or not to buy movies, but, clearly, that usefulness diminishes more and more the newer the movie is.
Old 02-15-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That actually wasn't the case until recently.

IMDB ratings have been really helpful in deciding whether or not to buy movies, but, clearly, that usefulness diminishes more and more the newer the movie is.
Maybe for you, but I think I can speak for a lot of us on here that it's been the case for a long time now; there's certainly been a lot of talk on this forum dismissing user reviews on there for well over a decade.
Old 02-15-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts

No surprise, they want Coogler back for the sequel: http://www.darkhorizons.com/coogler-...ack-panther-2/
Old 02-16-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-pa...ce-1202291093/

Black Panther‘s previews are exactly where we told you we would see them and Disney is reporting $25.2M this morning. This is the second best Thursday ever for a Marvel movie after Avengers: Age of Ultron ($27.6M) and some nickels above Captain America: Civil War ($25M).
Note there is a margin of error when shooting from the hip this early. Tonight’s numbers could be much higher by morning. If Black Panther continues on this pace, it’s looking approximately at $65M for Friday (including Thursday), $161M over three and $180M-plus for four. Again, none of this comes from Disney.
Old 02-16-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
It's a generalization, sure. But it's an accurate generalization.
Spoken like a true racist. You have no earthly idea whether it is accurate or not.

Look, not liking this movie doesn't automatically make you racist. But leaving a negative review/score of the movie BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN SEEN IT is evidence of some sort of prejudice (whether you're racist or anti-Disney)
And there we go. What is leaving a positive review/score of the movie BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN SEEN IT evidence of? What about people that leave negative reviews/scores after they have seen it? Are they racist too?
Old 02-16-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 316 Posts

Radio show this morning was talking about reports of white parents concerned and/or not allowing their kids to wear a BP costume to the movie for fear that they'll be called out as racist. That's where we're at....
Old 02-16-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Radio show this morning was talking about reports of white parents concerned and/or not allowing their kids to wear a BP costume to the movie for fear that they'll be called out as racist. That's where we're at....
There are people out there, and even on this board, that would call those kids out as being racist. For sure.
Old 02-16-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
There are people out there, and even on this board, that would call those kids out as being racist. For sure.
For wearing a super hero costume to the movie for that hero? What the hell happened to this world...
Old 02-16-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh?? What?? Why??

I don't get it. That would be a show of support and admiration, right?
Old 02-16-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh?? What?? Why??

I don't get it. That would be a show of support and admiration, right?
Nope. Clearly it's cultural appropriation...:/
Old 02-16-18, 01:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

And there we go. What is leaving a positive review/score of the movie BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN SEEN IT evidence of? What about people that leave negative reviews/scores after they have seen it? Are they racist too?
Leaving any review (of anything) before you've seen it is prejudiced. Positive or negative. If you reviewed tide pods without even tasting them, that's prejudiced on pre-conceived notions. Nice cherry-picking.

As to the latter part of your statement, i addressed that in the very same sentence. Not liking the movie after you've seen it doesn't mean you are prejudiced.
Old 02-16-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Nope. Clearly it's cultural appropriation...:/
Well, anyone who thinks that is just fucking stupid. A total imbecile.

Enough of the nonsense.
Old 02-16-18, 01:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Let the record show that i do not think anyone of any color wearing a black panther costume is racist or cultural appropriation.
Old 02-16-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 856 Likes on 578 Posts

Staaahp..
Old 02-16-18, 01:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 571 Posts

Let the record show that i do not think anyone of any color wearing a black panther costume is racist or cultural appropriation.
Same.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Staaahp..
Old 02-16-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Saw it last night at 3D fan night. Hope they keep doing those as its the 2nd one I saw after the last Thor. Very good movie, will need to digest and reflect but a good movie.
Old 02-16-18, 02:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 571 Posts

Instead of worrying so much about those damned virtue signalling swidges, this is something that's actually going on and is, naturally, fucking pathetic.

Trolls Are Posting Fake Claims Of Being Assaulted At Showings Of "Black Panther"
Note: Link shows images that are pretty graphic.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...g-assaulted-at

Trolls on Twitter are trying to stoke outrage by making false claims of racially motivated assaults at screenings of Black Panther. For example, the photo in this tweet actually shows a 19-year-old Swedish woman who was assaulted at a bar last month.

Some trolls are using images of battered women to make their false claims. This tweet includes photos of an 18-year-old woman who was locked in an apartment by her boyfriend and assaulted for four hours. He later pled guilty to two charges of assault.

This troll account used a photo of the ex-wife of former White House staffer Rob Porter.

This Twitter user used a photo from 2009 to make a false claim about being assaulted at a showing. It's generated over 400 retweets.

Unfortunately, the fake tweets keep coming. This account used the name and photo of Paul Nehlen, a racist and anti-Semitic man in Wisconsin who is trying to defeat Rep. Paul Ryan in a Republican primary there. Nehlen's Twitter account was recently banned.
Basically, all the claims are variations of the same idea: "I went to a screening of Black Panther. I'm white. and I got beat up. Here's a picture." and they're all bullshit.

Fuck these clowns.
Old 02-16-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Instead of worrying so much about those damned virtue signalling swidges, this is something that's actually going on and is, naturally, fucking pathetic.

Trolls Are Posting Fake Claims Of Being Assaulted At Showings Of "Black Panther"
Note: Link shows images that are pretty graphic.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...g-assaulted-at

Basically, all the claims are variations of the same idea: "I went to a screening of Black Panther. I'm white. and I got beat up. Here's a picture." and they're all bullshit.

Fuck these clowns.
What the hell is wrong with some people?

Backward thinking idiots...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.