DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623209-black-panther-d-coogler-2-16-18-s-chadwick-boseman.html)

B5Erik 02-15-18 01:07 PM

Re: Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13269936)
Why are we paying attention to IMDB scores? Not only have most of the people voting likely not seen it yet, but we also know that there's a group of people out there with a very vocal anti-Black Panther agenda whose expressed goal is to taint the scores/reviews online.

Yeah, IMDB is in danger of becoming irrelevant when it comes to audience scores/ratings. I used to use those ratings when I was in the fence about buying an older movie in DVD, but IMDB user ratings for modern movies are becoming pretty much worthless.

B5Erik 02-15-18 01:18 PM

And a big EFF YOU to anyone who would intentionally fraudulently give negative scores to any movie, especially Black Panther.

Anyone who would give this movie negative scores because it has a mostly black cast is a worthless piece of crap.

Inhumans99 02-15-18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13270108)
I don't have a problem with black superheroes or a majority black cast. What I do have a problem with is having to listen to 2 hours of hip hop and rap for the soundtrack. Please tell me it is kept to a minimum.

Uhh...dude, do you understand that Black Panther is a film not a music concert right?

stvn1974 02-15-18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 13270133)
Uhh...dude, do you understand that Black Panther is a film not a music concert right?

Uhh, you realize I wrote about the soundtrack don't you?

Inhumans99 02-15-18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13270135)
Uhh, you realize I wrote about the soundtrack don't you?

Uhh, you still have not answered the question, a yes or no would suffice.

fumanstan 02-15-18 01:31 PM

I haven't really paid attention to IMDB user scores for awhile now, I thought most folks like us on movie discussion forums kind of just ignore them as nonsense and largely a collection of extremes (I didn't like this movie or a particular actor so it gets 1 star).

rocket1312 02-15-18 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13270119)
Yeah, IMDB is in danger of becoming irrelevant when it comes to audience scores/ratings. I used to use those ratings when I was in the fence about buying an older movie in DVD, but IMDB user ratings for modern movies are becoming pretty much worthless.

In danger of becoming irrelevant? Even at its best IMDB's ratings seem to reflect the tastes of a very specific audience. I know that this is beating a long dead horse, but according to IMDB, The Shawshank Redemption is the greatest movie of all time. Yeesh. And I'll go so far as to say that a year from now when Black Panther has 500,000 votes on the site (compared to the 20,000 it has now), the score will more or less accurately reflect the voters' honest reaction to the movie. It's only in the lead up to release when the ratio of fraudulent votes is much higher that the score is skewed.

B5Erik 02-15-18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13270145)
I haven't really paid attention to IMDB user scores for awhile now, I thought most folks like us on movie discussion forums kind of just ignore them as nonsense and largely a collection of extremes (I didn't like this movie or a particular actor so it gets 1 star).

That actually wasn't the case until recently.

IMDB ratings have been really helpful in deciding whether or not to buy movies, but, clearly, that usefulness diminishes more and more the newer the movie is.

fumanstan 02-15-18 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13270162)
That actually wasn't the case until recently.

IMDB ratings have been really helpful in deciding whether or not to buy movies, but, clearly, that usefulness diminishes more and more the newer the movie is.

Maybe for you, but I think I can speak for a lot of us on here that it's been the case for a long time now; there's certainly been a lot of talk on this forum dismissing user reviews on there for well over a decade.

Deftones 02-15-18 04:34 PM

No surprise, they want Coogler back for the sequel: http://www.darkhorizons.com/coogler-...ack-panther-2/

fumanstan 02-16-18 10:57 AM

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-pa...ce-1202291093/

Black Panther‘s previews are exactly where we told you we would see them and Disney is reporting $25.2M this morning. This is the second best Thursday ever for a Marvel movie after Avengers: Age of Ultron ($27.6M) and some nickels above Captain America: Civil War ($25M).

Note there is a margin of error when shooting from the hip this early. Tonight’s numbers could be much higher by morning. If Black Panther continues on this pace, it’s looking approximately at $65M for Friday (including Thursday), $161M over three and $180M-plus for four. Again, none of this comes from Disney.

jjcool 02-16-18 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux (Post 13270087)
It's a generalization, sure. But it's an accurate generalization.

Spoken like a true racist. You have no earthly idea whether it is accurate or not.

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux (Post 13270087)
Look, not liking this movie doesn't automatically make you racist. But leaving a negative review/score of the movie BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN SEEN IT is evidence of some sort of prejudice (whether you're racist or anti-Disney)

And there we go. What is leaving a positive review/score of the movie BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN SEEN IT evidence of? What about people that leave negative reviews/scores after they have seen it? Are they racist too?

Noonan 02-16-18 11:07 AM

Radio show this morning was talking about reports of white parents concerned and/or not allowing their kids to wear a BP costume to the movie for fear that they'll be called out as racist. That's where we're at....

jjcool 02-16-18 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13270743)
Radio show this morning was talking about reports of white parents concerned and/or not allowing their kids to wear a BP costume to the movie for fear that they'll be called out as racist. That's where we're at....

There are people out there, and even on this board, that would call those kids out as being racist. For sure.

Noonan 02-16-18 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 13270744)
There are people out there, and even on this board, that would call those kids out as being racist. For sure.

For wearing a super hero costume to the movie for that hero? What the hell happened to this world...

B5Erik 02-16-18 01:08 PM

Huh?? What?? Why??

I don't get it. That would be a show of support and admiration, right?

Noonan 02-16-18 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13270871)
Huh?? What?? Why??

I don't get it. That would be a show of support and admiration, right?

Nope. Clearly it's cultural appropriation...:/

Big Boy Laroux 02-16-18 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 13270742)
And there we go. What is leaving a positive review/score of the movie BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN SEEN IT evidence of? What about people that leave negative reviews/scores after they have seen it? Are they racist too?

Leaving any review (of anything) before you've seen it is prejudiced. Positive or negative. If you reviewed tide pods without even tasting them, that's prejudiced on pre-conceived notions. Nice cherry-picking.

As to the latter part of your statement, i addressed that in the very same sentence. Not liking the movie after you've seen it doesn't mean you are prejudiced.

B5Erik 02-16-18 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13270874)
Nope. Clearly it's cultural appropriation...:/

Well, anyone who thinks that is just fucking stupid. A total imbecile.

Enough of the nonsense.

Big Boy Laroux 02-16-18 01:16 PM

Let the record show that i do not think anyone of any color wearing a black panther costume is racist or cultural appropriation. :)

Giantrobo 02-16-18 01:36 PM

:lol: Staaahp..

Dan 02-16-18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux (Post 13270883)
Let the record show that i do not think anyone of any color wearing a black panther costume is racist or cultural appropriation. :)

Same.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13270911)
:lol: Staaahp..

rotfl

rexinnih 02-16-18 02:02 PM

Saw it last night at 3D fan night. Hope they keep doing those as its the 2nd one I saw after the last Thor. Very good movie, will need to digest and reflect but a good movie.

Dan 02-16-18 02:02 PM

Instead of worrying so much about those damned virtue signalling swidges, this is something that's actually going on and is, naturally, fucking pathetic.

Trolls Are Posting Fake Claims Of Being Assaulted At Showings Of "Black Panther"
Note: Link shows images that are pretty graphic.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...g-assaulted-at

Trolls on Twitter are trying to stoke outrage by making false claims of racially motivated assaults at screenings of Black Panther. For example, the photo in this tweet actually shows a 19-year-old Swedish woman who was assaulted at a bar last month.

Some trolls are using images of battered women to make their false claims. This tweet includes photos of an 18-year-old woman who was locked in an apartment by her boyfriend and assaulted for four hours. He later pled guilty to two charges of assault.

This troll account used a photo of the ex-wife of former White House staffer Rob Porter.

This Twitter user used a photo from 2009 to make a false claim about being assaulted at a showing. It's generated over 400 retweets.

Unfortunately, the fake tweets keep coming. This account used the name and photo of Paul Nehlen, a racist and anti-Semitic man in Wisconsin who is trying to defeat Rep. Paul Ryan in a Republican primary there. Nehlen's Twitter account was recently banned.
Basically, all the claims are variations of the same idea: "I went to a screening of Black Panther. I'm white. and I got beat up. Here's a picture." and they're all bullshit.

Fuck these clowns.

B5Erik 02-16-18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13270947)
Instead of worrying so much about those damned virtue signalling swidges, this is something that's actually going on and is, naturally, fucking pathetic.

Trolls Are Posting Fake Claims Of Being Assaulted At Showings Of "Black Panther"
Note: Link shows images that are pretty graphic.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...g-assaulted-at

Basically, all the claims are variations of the same idea: "I went to a screening of Black Panther. I'm white. and I got beat up. Here's a picture." and they're all bullshit.

Fuck these clowns.

What the hell is wrong with some people?

Backward thinking idiots...