DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623209-black-panther-d-coogler-2-16-18-s-chadwick-boseman.html)

Why So Blu? 02-12-18 09:14 PM

Re: Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Seeing this Thursday night.

Mondo Kane 02-12-18 10:28 PM

^same

hal9000 02-13-18 12:07 AM

Gotta give credit to the Disney hype machine. If I didn't know any better this film about a c-level, b-minus at best Marvel superhero is basically the next coming of cinema. I don't buy the bullshit. See you on the other side, but second week drop-off will be massive.

fumanstan 02-13-18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by hal9000 (Post 13268103)
Gotta give credit to the Disney hype machine. If I didn't know any better this film about a c-level, b-minus at best Marvel superhero is basically the next coming of cinema. I don't buy the bullshit. See you on the other side, but second week drop-off will be massive.

What about it do you think is bullshit? And do you think audiences will be that far off from reviewers? I bet the second week drop off will be in line with other Marvel movies, which seems to be anywhere between 50-60%, with Spider-man Homecoming the highest at 62.2 percent.

stingermck 02-13-18 06:56 AM

Let me tell you. Iron Man was a B lister, and Ant-Man, Guardians and Strange as well. Marvel just makes it work.

story 02-13-18 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13268198)
Let me tell you. Iron Man was a B lister, and Ant-Man, Guardians and Strange as well. Marvel just makes it work.

Fully agree. I never read an Iron Man rag in my life. Vaguely aware of the Avengers, mostly by reputation, an occasional issue bought by family, or a guest appearance in X-Men.

I was an X-Men kid. Being in the X-Men universe was like going over to your friend's house to play every Saturday and but then every few months their cousin would be over for the weekend. You'd never actually play with your friend's cousin outside that time together as a trio, but he was a nice guy when he was around. That's how I felt about Avengers.

Then the movies happen and they're fun, some even good. Guardians came out of nowhere. I hate superheroes in space, even when the X-Men met the Sh'iarr, or whatever, I tuned out. But something compelled me to drag my wife to Guardians on opening week and we loved it, both Guardians flicks are in my kids Top 10, easy.

And when this all started with Iron Man? Over Captain America?! I chuckled and thought, "Good luck." And wow, good for them. I'm eating crow and they're eating money.

I'll go see this in week 1 or 2, give it some legs. :)

dex14 02-13-18 09:21 AM

Damn...some tracking is showing at over $170 now.

B5Erik 02-13-18 09:25 AM

I'm taking the family to see BP on Sunday...

Dexter Douglas 02-13-18 12:11 PM

The CG action is definitely lacking. It's like trying to watch crowd fights in LOTR...but on a budget. I'm also not the biggest fan of a certain part of the ending. All that said, I thought it was friggin wonderful. Reviews are calling it Shakespearean for a reason. It's definitely more than just people in capes beating each other up. It's well worth catching in the theater.

Inhumans99 02-14-18 10:45 AM

Dude (Dudette?), this is the very definition of a pointless post...you could say the same thing about movies going back 50 years...something like "ughh, this film is being overhyped by the studio and will have a big drop off once word of mouth hits", seriously, I have seen people write that same sentence regarding a jillion films going back decades, not a particularly insightful comment.

You either need to revise your post to explicate why you feel that this film is overhyped any more than other past tent poles/wannabe tent poles and lay out why you feel its second weekend drop might be historic or any worse than the typical 50-60% second weekend drop that a lot of films with crazy high opening weekend grosses experience, or you need to leave this site with your tail tucked between your legs.

To help make it easy for you to do better when you post again on this thread, you could say that you feel its second weekend gross will crater because while it has a lot of critical acclaim you are not seeing any buzz about this film on the internet so only die hard fans will show up opening weekend leading to an exodus of movie goers on its second weekend.

Or you could say that the film has a lousy critical reception but its opening weekend success is bullet proof because it is an anticipated Marvel film, blah, blah, blah, and when movie goers get a load of what the critics hated they will flee on its second weekend.

Finally, you could even make an argument that while it seems like the critics and fans are anticipating the film the vibe you get from on-line comments is that the anticipation for this film feels like it is a mile wide and an inch deep...see how easy I made it for you to thoughtfully engage regarding this film. Some or none of the above scenarios may be accurate, but it lets you engage in a push/pull with other DVD Talkers over this film without your sounding like an unoriginal troll.

I know you can do better Hal...come back to this thread and prove me right.

mndtrp 02-14-18 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 13267688)
Uh, you did read my post, right?

You said scores, I talked about the reviews. They are not one and the same since you can put in a score without making a review. If "scores" now means "reviews", then I apologize for not staying up to date on how terminology changes.

mndtrp 02-14-18 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 13267688)
Uh, you did read my post, right?

You said scores, I talked about the reviews. They are not one and the same since you can put in a score without making a review. If "scores" now means "reviews", then I apologize for not staying up to date on how terminology changes. For what it's worth, going through almost any other relatively recent movie, the reviews are all extremely divided between 1 stars and 10 stars, with weak reviews provided.

jjcool 02-14-18 03:05 PM

Speaking of the IMDB scores, it is back to 7.1 at the moment. Top 1000 IMDB voters give it a 5.7 and IMDB staff give it an 8.9. It also drops as the voter gets older. Given that it is a character that hasn't really been seen in any medium in recent years, I would have thought there would be more love for the movie from older people that may remember the character from its earlier popularity. Over 45 puts it at 5.4 and 30-44 puts it at 6.1 . Women in all age groups are scoring it better than their male counterpart, which makes sense due to the several strong female characters.

IDrinkMolson 02-14-18 03:44 PM

Got tix for Tue morning in the Grand Theater. I have a feeling I’m going to want to see this in 3D too.

JeremyM 02-14-18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13267208)
I would chalk this up to Coogler not having much experience with big budget FX and how to work with them. The fight scenes in Creed were great, but there's a world of difference between shooting boxing and a super hero fight.

I believe Stallone was the boxing choreographer on Creed as well.

nando820 02-15-18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 13269388)
Speaking of the IMDB scores, it is back to 7.1 at the moment. Top 1000 IMDB voters give it a 5.7 and IMDB staff give it an 8.9. It also drops as the voter gets older. Given that it is a character that hasn't really been seen in any medium in recent years, I would have thought there would be more love for the movie from older people that may remember the character from its earlier popularity. Over 45 puts it at 5.4 and 30-44 puts it at 6.1 . Women in all age groups are scoring it better than their male counterpart, which makes sense due to the several strong female characters.

yeah i'm a bit surprised at the IMDB scores, even Batman V Superman was scoring really high right up to opening weekend.

windom 02-15-18 10:15 AM

Do I need to have seen The Pink Panther before seeing this one?

rocket1312 02-15-18 10:21 AM

Why are we paying attention to IMDB scores? Not only have most of the people voting likely not seen it yet, but we also know that there's a group of people out there with a very vocal anti-Black Panther agenda whose expressed goal is to taint the scores/reviews online.

Big Boy Laroux 02-15-18 10:31 AM

and color me shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that older males would negatively rate a film with a majority African American cast.

Because older males are the pinnacle of acceptance and tolerance.

TomOpus 02-15-18 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13269936)
Why are we paying attention to IMDB scores?

It's pretty pointless to do. Especially nowadays.

Deadman31 02-15-18 11:04 AM

I don't believe in black superheroes.

jjcool 02-15-18 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux (Post 13269945)
and color me shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that older males would negatively rate a film with a majority African American cast.

Because older males are the pinnacle of acceptance and tolerance.

So now "older males" are automatically racist? You are making way too many assumptions there.

Big Boy Laroux 02-15-18 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 13270016)
So now "older males" are automatically racist? You are making way too many assumptions there.

It's a generalization, sure. But it's an accurate generalization.

Look, not liking this movie doesn't automatically make you racist. But leaving a negative review/score of the movie BEFORE YOU'VE EVEN SEEN IT is evidence of some sort of prejudice (whether you're racist or anti-Disney)

RichC2 02-15-18 12:54 PM

The non-US votes are potentially accurate though, the movie opened in the UK on the 13th.

stvn1974 02-15-18 12:56 PM

I don't have a problem with black superheroes or a majority black cast. What I do have a problem with is having to listen to 2 hours of hip hop and rap for the soundtrack. Please tell me it is kept to a minimum.