DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/623209-black-panther-d-coogler-2-16-18-s-chadwick-boseman.html)

dex14 01-15-18 03:25 PM

Re: Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13246670)
I'm ready for this one, commercials and trailers have been great.

My wife was not familiar with Black Panther at all before Civil War, and she loved him, and is very excited for the solo film.

My wife, who has no interest in any Marvel movies, wants to see this.

cin0 01-15-18 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13246670)
I'm ready for this one, commercials and trailers have been great.

My wife was not familiar with Black Panther at all before Civil War, and she loved him, and is very excited for the solo film.

Really? I'm interested in understanding that perspective? What did she like most about him?

Abob Teff 01-15-18 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by cin0 (Post 13245852)
You wanna know what my dream is? Speaking as a black POC from Atlanta. I would like to one day have a conversation about a black superhero's introduction to films where a flame war about race not overshadowing the conversatiln about the character itself and how great the movie is gonna be.

I think this is totally sad. Black Panther is an awesome superhero, and for me I am completely excited that this is the first time so much positivity surrounds a black superhero. What's got me upset is the discussion being had isn't even about he movie at the moment but rather the race of the character in the movie and how is "forced diversity".

And that we can agree upon 110%. Where the breakdown occurs is when expressing that very viewpoint is seen as racist.

Yes, this movie looks freaking awesome — agreed 175% on that. ;)

Welcome to DVDTalk!

OldBoy 01-15-18 10:21 PM

Looking forward, but why a February release? That’s not a usual Marvel date...

GoldenJCJ 01-15-18 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13247013)
Looking forward, but why a February release? Thatís not a usual Marvel date...

Um...I have an idea why the February release date...

Abob Teff 01-16-18 12:18 AM

Valentines Day ... After the success of Deadpool over that weekend, Disney is trying to cash in.

;)

Why not? It strikes me as odd whenever Disney puts more than one in a quarter.

Troy Stiffler 01-16-18 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13247013)
Looking forward, but why a February release? Thatís not a usual Marvel date...

Feb is Black History Month.

stingermck 01-16-18 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by cin0 (Post 13246773)
Really? I'm interested in understanding that perspective? What did she like most about him?

Pretty simple, she just thought he was cool. And she likes all the visuals from the solo movie.

mrhan 01-16-18 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13245379)
Did we see movies led by Asians made in Hollywood after that? Not many, that's for sure. So what was the lasting impact? Bruce Lee was a badass??

That's the long term takeaway from that movie, really. It wasn't followed up by any kind of lasting wave of Hollywood made films starring Asians in lead roles (unfortunately).

After going over some of the posts this one was interesting. Sure, there aren't enough Asians in movies but Bruce did have a lasting impact. Before ETD screen choreography was pretty boring. Almost every fight choreographer today will say that ETD influenced the way most fights are staged now. Nothing beforehand was like ETD. He also influenced millions to start martial arts all over the world to this very day. No lasting impact? LOL

Giantrobo 01-16-18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by cin0 (Post 13245852)
You wanna know what my dream is? Speaking as a black POC from Atlanta. I would like to one day have a conversation about a black superhero's introduction to films where a flame war about race not overshadowing the conversatiln about the character itself and how great the movie is gonna be.

I think this is totally sad. Black Panther is an awesome superhero, and for me I am completely excited that this is the first time so much positivity surrounds a black superhero. What's got me upset is the discussion being had isn't even about he movie at the moment but rather the race of the character in the movie and how is "forced diversity".

cin0 THAT bolded part is exactly what a poster posted. But then another poster responded to them by saying that the significance of this was NOT important. A discussion came about where the latter poster was shown that it IS important to a huge segment of the population due to the fact that films like this are rare. And to be clear, no one said this film didn't look amazing on it's own. It's like when women felt excitement for Wonder Woman. To deny having a woman character in a huge superhero film like that is just silly.

Giantrobo 01-16-18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13246985)
And that we can agree upon 110%. Where the breakdown occurs is when expressing that very viewpoint is seen as racist.

Yes, this movie looks freaking awesome — agreed 175% on that. ;)

Welcome to DVDTalk!

Abob Teff. It's not seen as Racist. It's seen as IGNORANT. A person posted their truth and B5Erik proceeded to try to tell him his truth is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13245214)
B5Erik, it’s nice to see another raging racist just like me. -rolleyes-

YOUR words not anyone else....

Giantrobo 01-16-18 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13245351)

I don't know what more I can say. I mean, I've wildly supported Creed, 42, Black Panther, etc. What more do you want?

Easy. Just admit you don't UNDERSTAND or care to understand why Black Panther is important to many Blacks for reasons that not only include how amazing it looks and how it has the potential to be a great movie... but also because of it's cultural importance due to the fact that films like this where a Black Superhero is featured in an amazing looking potentially great big budget solo film is rare. Then we can truly "move on"....

fumanstan 01-16-18 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13247214)
After going over some of the posts this one was interesting. Sure, there aren't enough Asians in movies but Bruce did have a lasting impact. Before ETD screen choreography was pretty boring. Almost every fight choreographer today will say that ETD influenced the way most fights are staged now. Nothing beforehand was like ETD. He also influenced millions to start martial arts all over the world to this very day. No lasting impact? LOL

On the flip side, it also probably contributed heavily to Asian actors being typecast to martial arts roles for decades. Which is still basically a problem.

mrhan 01-16-18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13247391)
On the flip side, it also probably contributed heavily to Asian actors being typecast to martial arts roles for decades. Which is still basically a problem.

Nah....same with white dudes always playing cowboys and serial killers. I'd rather see us as bad ass martial artists than depraved psychopaths. :lol:

fumanstan 01-16-18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13247407)
Nah....same with white dudes always playing cowboys and serial killers. I'd rather see us as bad ass martial artists than depraved psychopaths. :lol:

That makes no sense.

DJariya 01-16-18 01:31 PM

Wow, so we have two sides going at each other for this movie.

1) Just wants to see an awesome comic action movie regardless of what race the leads and cast are.

2) Stop downplaying the historical and cultural significance of this movie.

Black Lightning premieres tonight on The CW. Also an African-American superhero with a mostly African-American cast on a major TV network, which is written and produced by an African-American creative team. Why is Black Panther that much of a bigger deal compared to Black Lightning? Just because it's a major theatrical film with a huge budget over a network TV show? I think Blade kind of already set things in motion for this modern super hero era 20 years ago already. And I think there's been plenty of awesome African-American action heroes portrayed on film and TV over the last 20+ years.

I just want to make heads or tails why there is such an uproar here.

Giantrobo 01-16-18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13247420)
Wow, so we have two sides going at each other for this movie.

1) Just wants to see an awesome comic action movie regardless of what race the leads and cast are.

BTW, I asked if they could move this part of the BP discussion to Politics since people are participating even if it's bothering some. The request has been ignored so far... so there's that.

1. Again, THAT is NOT an issue. We ALL agree on this. Black Panther, looks like it could be a great Big Budget Marvel Film. Period. No one is taking that from anyone. I believe I even said the last part in a previous post( not taking that sentiment from B5Erik)

2. There is more to this film to many Blacks on a cultural level. As explained, it's just like how women were excited to see Wonder Woman. A huge big budget superhero film that featured a female hero. Even if many men didn't care about that, a segment of our population DID CARE, A LOT. So why would any male try to take that from them? So why would any Non-Black try to downplay the significance of a Big Budget Superhero film that Blacks are excited about AFTER someone posted how important is is to them? We're not saying you have to feel the same way...just understand why WE might feel that way and don't tell us we shouldn't feel that way.

Black Lightning premieres tonight on The CW. Also an African-American superhero with a mostly African-American cast on a major TV network, which is written and produced by an African-American creative team. Why is Black Panther that much of a bigger deal compared to Black Lightning? Just because it's a major theatrical film with a huge budget over a network TV show? I think Blade kind of already set things in motion for this modern super hero era 20 years ago already. And I think there's been plenty of awesome African-American action heroes portrayed on film and TV over the last 20+ years.

I just want to make heads or tails why there is such an uproar here.
Black Lightning is NOT a Big Budget FILM.. Marvel films are going to naturally get LOTS of attention due to their deserved success. Also, it's a DC Comics CW show. No way you can get the same attention and excitement for CW DC shows as Marvel Big Budget films. It would not make sense if they did.

Many say the first Blade is what TRULY started Marvel's great cinematic universe run. Up until then Marvel movies were shit. Also,tell me, how many Big Budget Superhero films have we had with a White Male Superhero hero since Blade, and how many Big Budget Superhero films with a Black Male Superhero have we had in that same time frame? Don't worry, I'll wait....

Obi-Wanma 01-16-18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13247522)

Many say the first Blade is what TRULY started Marvel's great cinematic universe run. Up until then Marvel movies were shit. Also,tell me, how many Big Budget Superhero films have we had with a White Male Superhero hero since Blade, and how many Big Budget Superhero films with a Black Male Superhero have we had in that same time frame? Don't worry, I'll wait....

It's also worth noting that Blade is a fifth tier Marvel character that hardly anyone had heard of before the movie and it was also not marketed as a comic book movie, it was marketed as a vampire/action movie. So many people saw it without even realizing it was based on a comic. I don't think we even got the Marvel logo in front of it until the third film in the series.

Blade should get its due credit for it's place in history, but really, it's a comic book movie that tried to hide the fact that it was a comic book movie. It was not a big budget spectacle that proudly stamped its comic legacy onto itself like the MCU does.

robin2099 01-16-18 04:11 PM

Sigh how soon everyone forgets

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Meteor_man.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/14...b71742afe7.jpg

Pretty much. Here's the thing though. In a very similar way to Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters both sides need to stop making issues about it.

1. If you just think it looks cool, then so what? If you don't want to look at it from a racial perspective its not a bad thing. Some people just want to escape politics and enjoy their entertainment.

2.If you look at it from a "this is cultural and significant perspective" more power to you. But why do you give a crap if someone doesnt want to view it from that perspective?

Ultimately I hate to say it but this movie is part of the Marvel movie machine. It will come out have a big opening get good reviews, and be immediately forgotten by most of the audience until the sequel. It won't cause a wave of big budget black super hero movies(like B5ERIK seems to think it will). It wont be talked about forty years leater by scholars. It will just be another big budget movie in a continuous string of them.

Its kind of sad that a movie that could bring both races together in something common and yet people STILL want to go and devide them over something stupid.

FWIW I think this will be the first Marvel movie I skip due to not caring for the character in the comics, in Civil War, hearing it has a longer runtime and just not thinking that it looks good.

Giantrobo 01-16-18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 13247559)

Oh so there's 2 in the time frame of Blade 1-3 up to now. And again, that's compared to how many white male superheroes? I'm still waiting...

Pretty much. Here's the thing though. In a very similar way to Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters both sides need to stop making issues about it.
Why? Because YOU don't want to hear it? Turn the channel. Skip the post(s). Don't click on the article. No one is forcing you to listen, read, or let alone give a damn about what anyone else might find important to them.

1. If you just think it looks cool, then so what? If you don't want to look at it from a racial perspective its not a bad thing. Some people just want to escape politics and enjoy their entertainment.
I've said that. If all you see a cool movie that's fine. No argument no harm no foul. But then if that's all you see why does one care about making an issue about those who do?

2.If you look at it from a "this is cultural and significant perspective" more power to you. But why do you give a crap if someone doesnt want to view it from that perspective?
As to why I would give a crap...I don't. Just wondering why someone would go out of their way to downplay those who do when no one asked them too do anything but enjoy what they enjoy.

Ultimately I hate to say it but this movie is part of the Marvel movie machine. It will come out have a big opening get good reviews, and be immediately forgotten by most of the audience until the sequel. It won't cause a wave of big budget black super hero movies(like B5ERIK seems to think it will). It wont be talked about forty years leater by scholars. It will just be another big budget movie in a continuous string of them.
I agree. Blade proved that.

Its kind of sad that a movie that could bring both races together in something common and yet people STILL want to go and devide them over something stupid.
You and B5Erik miss the point that this film IS bringing people together but not for all the same reasons. There is no divide. All, expect you, agree it looks like a good film.

FWIW I think this will be the first Marvel movie I skip due to not caring for the character in the comics, in Civil War, hearing it has a longer runtime and just not thinking that it looks good.
Ok thanks.

B5Erik 01-16-18 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13247365)
Abob Teff. It's not seen as Racist. It's seen as IGNORANT. A person posted their truth and B5Erik proceeded to try to tell him his truth is irrelevant.

No, I didn't. You completely misunderstood my point.

All I said was the ethnic make-up of the cast and characters is irrelevant to the quality of the movie.

I wasn't responding to anyone with that post. It was meant to be a standalone comment on my perception of the movie looking amazingly good.

I was, essentially, saying if you set everything else aside and just look at the movie on its own merits it looks fantastic. If the make-up of the cast and characters means something more to some people that's just a bonus! It's all good.

That was intended only to express my excitement for this movie, nothing more.

B5Erik 01-16-18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13247387)
Easy. Just admit you don't UNDERSTAND or care to understand why Black Panther is important to many Blacks for reasons that not only include how amazing it looks and how it has the potential to be a great movie... but also because of it's cultural importance due to the fact that films like this where a Black Superhero is featured in an amazing looking potentially great big budget solo film is rare. Then we can truly "move on"....

And I never commented on that, let alone disagreed with that.

I'm not even qualified to comment on that! (I don't personally, firsthand know how Blacks feel about this movie for those reasons, or know how it is important to them for the reasons you brought up. It would be the height of arrogance for me to claim to understand those feelings, so I tried to sidestep that issue so as to not seem presumptous.)

This, "Issue," was all based on a misunderstanding.

GoldenJCJ 01-16-18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13247420)

Just my opinion of course but it may be because Black Panther looks pretty damn awesome and Black Lightning looks like garbage. :shrug:

And I liked Meteor Man as a kid.

Josh-da-man 01-16-18 09:17 PM

No love for Pootie Tang?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ang_poster.JPG

majorjoe23 01-16-18 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13247772)
Just my opinion of course but it may be because Black Panther looks pretty damn awesome and Black Lightning looks like garbage. :shrug:

And I liked Meteor Man as a kid.

Currently 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/black_lightning/s01/