DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   RIP Box Office Mojo (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/622884-rip-box-office-mojo.html)

Hokeyboy 10-10-14 06:04 PM

RIP Box Office Mojo

Shut down and absorbed by IMDB :(

Beloved movie website Box Office Mojo appears to have been killed by Amazon and IMDb.

Users of the website, which has been around since 1999, noticed on Friday afternoon that the domain is now redirecting to a lame box office page on IMDb.

Both websites are owned by Amazon, who has yet to comment on the news.

While some believe that Box Office Mojo may only be down for maintenance, it’s worrying that a writer for the site has been suspiciously quiet on Twitter today.

Box Office Mojo is considered the go-to resource for box office data. It was easy to browse and included every type of box office statistic you could hope for.

Many in Hollywood commented on the news via Twitter

devilshalo 10-10-14 06:11 PM

Re: RIP Box Office Mojo

Weird. From IMDB I get directed to the BOM twitter page. :sad:

Solid Snake 10-10-14 06:17 PM

Wtf?!

Goldberg74 10-10-14 06:35 PM

If true, 'tis a sad day for all.

joe_b 10-10-14 06:46 PM

Damn, I referenced Box Office Mojo's charts all the time for one reason or another... and reading their forecasts and weekend reports has been a ritual for years.

Per The Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...certain-739999

IMDb has yet to speak out about the fate of Box Office Mojo, the data website it acquired in 2008. The site disappeared this morning and the web address now redirects to IMDb's box office page.

IMDb and parent company Amazon have not responded to emails requesting comment. It is uncertain whether the site, which was founded in 1999 by Brandon Gray and sold to IMDb in 2008, has been absorbed into the film credits database or is just temporarily unavailable.

The IMDb box office page still includes a link to Box Office Mojo, however that link has recently been updated to direct people to the Twitter account for Box Office Mojo instead of the website. The company also recently Tweeted that it's annual holiday box office predictions would be out in a few weeks, indicating that those running the site weren't anticipating a closure.

islandclaws 10-10-14 06:51 PM

Fuck this BIG TIME.

I check BOM daily. I love box office numbers. This majorly, majorly sucks.

Fuck IMDb.

RichC2 10-10-14 06:52 PM

They had a "The database is fried" message up earlier today

This is about as big an assumption as any other site can make.

Solid Snake 10-10-14 06:54 PM

FUCK IMDB. Travesty of information on that site.

bluetoast 10-10-14 06:56 PM

Fuck this. There's box office guru but that's not nearly as robust.

Perkinsun Dzees 10-10-14 07:11 PM

http://s29.postimg.org/oapxrn47r/Mojo.jpg

Hokeyboy 10-10-14 07:24 PM

There's way too much content for IMDB/Amazon to scuttle BOM willy-nilly. I'm sure it'll be rebranded somehow and the current page is simply a placeholder.

Then again... :shrug:

Michael Corvin 10-10-14 09:02 PM

Bummer. Twas a handy little website.

Michael T Hudson 10-10-14 09:09 PM

Bummer.

TomOpus 10-10-14 09:21 PM

:cry:

My Other Self 10-10-14 09:30 PM

I haven't cared for iMDB for years. I used to go to BOM multiple times a week. Damn.

Artman 10-10-14 09:57 PM

I checked it almost every day, just really fascinating to see the daily numbers. Hopefully it comes back in some way. :(

TheMovieman 10-10-14 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12265436)
There's way too much content for IMDB/Amazon to scuttle BOM willy-nilly. I'm sure it'll be rebranded somehow and the current page is simply a placeholder.

Then again... :shrug:

I'd tend to agree because there's so much useful (and valuable) data but in this day and age, who knows.

johnnysd 10-10-14 11:42 PM

oh that's just super lame...fuck Amazon...

sven 10-11-14 12:36 AM

Well that blows. I didn't use the site as much as some of you but I've been using it a few times a month for a very long time.

DonnachaOne 10-11-14 01:03 AM

For over a decade in the cinema business, Box Office Mojo has been incredibly useful to me. Though there's been no official word and all this "absorbed" news is just speculation, historically it doesn't bode well for BOM.

B5Erik 10-11-14 01:39 AM

Awww, crap. I love Box Office Mojo. If you want actor/director/writer etc info you go to IMDB, but for ALL box office info you go to Box Office Mojo. Period.

The amount of detailed info you could get from Box Office Mojo would take IMDB years to recompile and reformat to match their website.

Man, if BOM stays down I'm going to be both pissed and bummed.

Throwing Copper 10-11-14 02:49 AM

It's a sad day for regular Americans. :(

I check Box Office Mojo several times a week so I would know what was going on.

I hated all the other sites carrying the numbers. Just didn't look as good.

fumanstan 10-11-14 04:20 AM

Wow, that sucks if true.

Ash Ketchum 10-11-14 04:34 AM

Not sure why, but I always preferred Box Office Guru instead.

Mr. Cinema 10-11-14 04:45 AM

Boxoffice.com is where I've been going to lately. They are much faster with box office numbers than BOM.