Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Crystal 2 rumors, news

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05, 02:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henson Co. Planning Dark Crystal Sequel
Source: Variety May 13, 2005

The Jim Henson Company is planning to make a sequel to its 1982 fantasy classic The Dark Crystal, reports Variety.

Titled The Power of the Dark Crystal, the new movie is written by David Odell (The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Show) and Annette Duffy. No director is yet attached to the film which starts shooting this fall for a 2007 release. It will combine live-action animatronic characters with CG animation.

The story is set many years after the original, which was helmed by Frank Oz and Jim Henson. Original heroes Jen and Kira are now king and queen, and must fight to save their kingdom when the crystal is once again split.

The company is also developing an animated series, interactive games and other media as well.
Old 05-15-05, 02:17 PM

Sounds interesting but please God.....................NO CGI.
Old 05-15-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
If they keep the CG subtle (like backgrounds, skies, cities, mountains, etc.) rather than full-fledged characters, I'm all for this.

If anyone SHOULDN'T be doing CGI, it's the Jim Henson Company.
Old 05-15-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I thought they did a nice job with the creatures in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 05-15-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from AICN

Henson Co. doing DARK CRYSTAL 2!?! Should we be celebrating or crying?
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here... I'm not sure what to think of a DARK CRYSTAL 2. I'm happy that Henson Company is doing it, especially after seeing their awesome work on the Vogons in HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY) but will they give this movie the attention it deserves or will they be just trying to shoot out a direct to video sequel with a nostalgic name? Should a Jim Henson/Frank Oz-less DARK CRYSTAL tale exist in this world?
Variety confirmed this flick is happening with David Odell (scripter of the original DARK CRYSTAL as well as THE MUPPET SHOW and on the other end of the scale SUPERGIRL and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE) and Annette Duffy. The sequel will be called THE POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL and there is no one attached as a director yet.
I must confess a fondness for both SUPERGIRL and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE as 80s cheeseball classics, but it really makes me happy that the original writer for the first movie is scripting the second. I just hope they're really wanting to take a stab at this for real and not do a direct to video cheapie. Either way, I'll be keeping my ear to the ground on this one. I've always preferred LABYRINTH, but DARK CRYSTAL is still very, very close to my heart. What do you folks think?
Old 05-15-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Has anyone watched The Dark Crystal lately? I keep seeing it so cheap at Wal Mart and wondering how it's held up over the years.
Old 05-15-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Has anyone watched The Dark Crystal lately? I keep seeing it so cheap at Wal Mart and wondering how it's held up over the years.
it's not bad, yeah it's cheese but much better than a lot of the crap being put out now days.
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The film is a masterpiece. It's a triumph of production values and fantasy film storytelling ambition.

Buy it today.

The sequel? It's cool to see Henson get excited about the franchise again, and a CRYSTAL video game would be fantastic...but if they CG it up, it will be an instant disaster. I hope they can get the same voice cast back.

And no Fizzgig, no sale.

The "plot":

A Brief Synopsis of the Film... When Jen and Kira welcome a fiery and unexpected visitor to their castle they learn that the very existence of the U-mun people, who live in the searing heat of the centre of the earth, is threatened by the death of their sun. There is apparently only one thing powerful enough to heal the ailing star - a shard of the Crystal.

The Gelflings flatly refuse the request for a fragment and the desperate visitor takes matters into her own hands and steals one, making a hasty escape through tunnels deep in the bowels of the castle. So begins an adventure that will see love and goodness triumph over evil and re-introduce cinema-goers to a host of indelible characters including the mystic Ur-sol, Aughra the one-eyed seer, the evil Skeksis and their crab-like and violent Garthim foot soldiers.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It's funny that all this sequel talk popped up. I just watched my copy last week and it holds up for what it is. It's still a very good film.

I'm excited about this sequel CGi or no CGi.
Old 05-16-05, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just hope they stick to the original concept of having no humans on screen.
Old 05-16-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Well, Jar jar will be looking for work soon....
Old 05-16-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Garthim rock!
Old 05-16-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
The film is a masterpiece. It's a triumph of production values and fantasy film storytelling ambition.

Buy it today.

The sequel? It's cool to see Henson get excited about the franchise again, and a CRYSTAL video game would be fantastic...but if they CG it up, it will be an instant disaster. I hope they can get the same voice cast back.

And no Fizzgig, no sale.

The "plot":

A Brief Synopsis of the Film... When Jen and Kira welcome a fiery and unexpected visitor to their castle they learn that the very existence of the U-mun people, who live in the searing heat of the centre of the earth, is threatened by the death of their sun. There is apparently only one thing powerful enough to heal the ailing star - a shard of the Crystal.

The Gelflings flatly refuse the request for a fragment and the desperate visitor takes matters into her own hands and steals one, making a hasty escape through tunnels deep in the bowels of the castle. So begins an adventure that will see love and goodness triumph over evil and re-introduce cinema-goers to a host of indelible characters including the mystic Ur-sol, Aughra the one-eyed seer, the evil Skeksis and their crab-like and violent Garthim foot soldiers.
so, do you like this movie? :P

it's a decent movie. been a year or so since i watched last. but not bad. a sequel'd be interesting to be sure
Old 05-16-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven't watched it recently but I did when I bought the DVD a year or so ago. It's still a great fun film and easily re-watchable. Regarding the proposed sequel, As long as there are no humans seen and they stick to the puppetry they are so famous for, I can't see this as being anything but great.
Old 05-16-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original still holds up but I have to be in the right mood to watch it. As true fantasy, it is probably the best example ever put on film due to the complete absence of humans. It's a completely alien universe. They absolutely need to keep that going for the sequel.
Old 05-27-05, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
If they keep the CG subtle (like backgrounds, skies, cities, mountains, etc.) rather than full-fledged characters, I'm all for this.

You have heard of Farscape, haven't you?
Old 06-05-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

very cool news.
Old 06-05-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Yup, I have. Doesn't change my opinion of what Henson should be doing with their talents.
Old 06-06-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, great news, I think anyways... as long as they keep away from CG on the characters and keep faithful to the first movie (as others have said, no humans)... Dark Crystal is one of my favorite movies!
Old 10-12-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
And no Fizzgig, no sale.
Old 10-12-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
"The Power of the Dark Crystal"?!

Why didn't they just go all the way and call it "The Passion Of The Dark Crystal"!
Old 10-13-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe other small effects houses did the CG and miniature effects for Farscape, and Henson did some of the concept work and the puppetry.
Old 10-13-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's anything like the work they did on MirrorMask, I'm all for it.
Old 02-04-06, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060201e.php

The Jim Henson Co. has set animated series creator Genndy Tartakovsky ("Samurai Jack", "Star Wars: The Clones Wars") to direct "Power of the Dark Crystal," sequel to 1982 fantasy film "The Dark Crystal" reports Variety.

Tartakovsky's Orphanage Animation Studios will take the lead on the CG animation elements for the puppet-driven film. Brian Froud has returned to design the new characters.

Set hundreds of years after the first pic, sequel follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of reigniting the dying sun.Annette Duffy and David Odell penned the script.

The puppets this time around will operate amid a CGI backdrop. Henson will secure a domestic distributor by the time the film begins production in late summer.
Yay, they using puppets! I like the idea of the CGI backdrop. So far, it has been the best use of CGI (Sin City, Sky Captain, Casshern).

Last edited by caligulathegod; 02-06-06 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tartakovsky directing

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.