Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies where the Director's Cut or Extended Edition is the standard edition?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 05:28 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

What movies are the Director's Cut or Extended Edition of the movie essentially now the standard edition?

*Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Director's Cut)
*The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (Extended Editions)

Any others?
Old 09-27-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Movies where the Director's Cut or Extended Edition is the standard edition?

The Abyss, at least to me.

Aliens, all the Cameron longer cuts probably.
Old 09-27-14, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies where the Director's Cut or Extended Edition is the standard edition?

Originally Posted by whotony
Aliens.
Only thing that added to the film was finding out I had a dead daughter. Everything else was redundant.
Old 09-27-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Not necessarily standard by the choice of fans but George Lucas has essentially forced the special editions of the original Star Wars Trilogy as standard.
Old 09-27-14, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Star Wars OT

Considering the theatrical versions have about a 0.01% chance of ever being released again.
Old 09-27-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I believe JFK has only been available in the director's cut on DVD and BD.

Or do you mean cases in which another version is considered definitive and nobody bothers with the theatrical cut? Brazil would be an example of that.
Old 09-27-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Once Upon a Time in America
Old 09-27-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Watchmen
Old 09-27-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are we talking about "the only way to buy it"? If so, Dumb & Dumber now fits that bill. So does Amadeus and Stripes.

When they are on TV, though, I've seen the theatrical cuts of all the above except for Amadeus. I've only seen that air on cable once in the past decade, on Ovation (some arts channel on digital cable). It was the director's cut.
Old 09-27-14, 08:53 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I believe JFK has only been available in the director's cut on DVD and BD.

Or do you mean cases in which another version is considered definitive and nobody bothers with the theatrical cut? Brazil would be an example of that.
Originally Posted by My Other Self
Are we talking about "the only way to buy it"? If so, Dumb & Dumber now fits that bill. So does Amadeus and Stripes.

When they are on TV, though, I've seen the theatrical cuts of all the above except for Amadeus. I've only seen that air on cable once in the past decade, on Ovation (some arts channel on digital cable). It was the director's cut.
I apologize about the confusion. Mostly I meant what movies are the Director's Cut or Extended Edition the definitive edition of the movie and tend to be the only version of the movie that people are usually able available to buy on DVD and Blu-ray (the theatrical cut had a limited run on DVD and Blu-ray, if at all, and now is only offered as the Director's Cut or Extended Cut).
Old 09-27-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Star Wars OT Considering the theatrical versions have about a 0.01% chance of ever being released again.
The chances are much lower than that .

The so called "director's cuts" of Alien and Gladiator were curios that Scott doesn't prefer to the originals. On a tangential note, does the digibook of Blade Runner omit any extras, and does it have a UV code? It seems like the most cost-effective option.

The extended cut of Aliens is one of the few which I think genuinely is better and richer. The DC of Alien is an interesting curio, but the original is so perfectly paced as to render the changes pointless. Didn't need to fix what wasn't broken, and at least Scott was smart enough to know it. I suppose you could say The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, since Leone was never technically around to supervise the extended cut. Fuck MGM every which way for A) forcing the theatrical cut when branching would be easy, B), the color timing issues, and C) NOT INCLUDING THE FUCKING MONO!
Old 09-27-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Old 09-27-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

"Touch of Evil" Restored version
The Complete "Metropolis"
Old 09-27-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the love for the Aliens extended cut. Yes, the scenes with Newt's family and Ripley learning about her daughter's death were nice and should've been in the theatrical cut, but Hudson's "ultimate bad-asses" speech, the gun turret scene, etc. just drag the movie on.

As for other examples, is the theatrical cut of Pat Garret and Billy the Kid even available on home video? My recollection is the DVD only contains Peckinpah's rough cut and the later reconstruction (although I don't think either of them are definitive either).

There's also Touch of Evil, where the theatrical cut is still available but everyone considers the reconstruction based upon Welles' notes to be the version to watch.
Old 09-27-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kingdom of Heaven
Old 09-27-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

In recent years, all the Enter The Dragon TV-showings I've seen have all included the monk scene. So it looks like that one can go on the list.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I suppose you could say The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, since Leone was never technically around to supervise the extended cut.
I'm guessing that the extended cut always existed in it's Italian form because certain scenes were already deleted from the U.S. version before they were dubbed in english.
Old 09-28-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
I was surprised when someone told me that the gun turret scene and Ripley discussing her daughter with Burke weren't in the theatrical cut of Aliens. I had been watching the director's cut the whole time. I'm glad it's become the standard edition.
Overall I prefer the Cameron cut of Aliens as I think it adds depth, even the 15 second scene where Ripley and Hicks exchange first names.

However, when I watch the movie now I always skip the early LV426 scenes b/c I think the movie plays better if we're not introduced to Newt until the marines find her.
Old 09-28-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The chances are much lower than that .
Unless Disney negotiates a deal with Fox to release the original trilogy unaltered. It does seem like Disney is more willing to give the fans what they want instead of looking out for their own selfish wants like Lucas. I think it has a higher chance of happening now than before but still who knows. I really hope at some point we get them unaltered though. Like I've said before I'd buy some ultimate box set with all the crappy prequels and the special editions of the originals if it meant getting the original trilogy in high quality finally.
Old 09-28-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off the top of my head-

Heat
Battlefield Earth
THX 1138
Revolution
Old 09-28-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

THE WILD BUNCH had scenes that were cut during the first week of release restored over the years. The cut print was the only way I experienced this film for the first ten times or so I saw it. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST had scenes cut right at the start of its release also, including Lionel Stander's entire scene, but that might have been cut early enough to change the credits so Stander's name wouldn't be in them. Either way, that scene and several others got restored at some point and that's pretty much the only version we see now. One of the scenes got put back in the wrong place, though, so that we have Henry Fonda in two different places at the same time.

Also, possibly BLADE RUNNER... I prefer the original theatrical cut of that. Is it possible to see it anymore?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-28-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
THE WILD BUNCH had scenes that were cut during the first week of release restored over the years. The cut print was the only way I experienced this film for the first ten times or so I saw it. ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA had scenes cut right at the start of its release also, including Lionel Stander's entire scene, but that might have been cut early enough to change the credits so Stander's name wouldn't be in them. Either way, that scene and several others got restored at some point and that's pretty much the only version we see now. One of the scenes got put back in the wrong place, though, so that we have Henry Fonda in two different places at the same time.

Also, possibly BLADE RUNNER... I prefer the original theatrical cut of that. Is it possible to see it anymore?
Fonda? you mean West. Not America.
Old 09-28-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Old 09-28-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Fonda? you mean West. Not America.
Yes, I meant ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Thanks for catching that. I went back and changed my post.

I remember when they showed it on TV for the first time in late '72 or early '73, the cut scenes had been put back in. Years later, they were supposed to show a "restored" print at the New York Film Festival and Martin Scorsese, the Quentin Tarantino of that era, had lobbied hard to get it for the Festival and then when they showed it, it was the same cut theatrical print we'd seen back in 1969 and there was a lot of apologizing going around. I forget what happened.
Old 09-28-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just about anything directed by Michael Mann.
Old 09-28-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The one we get doesn't have the scene with Sloane undressing by the pool.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.