Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tess (1979, D: Polanski) (S:N.Kinski, L. Lawson, P. Firth)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It tells the story of a strong-willed, young peasant girl (played by Nastassja Kinski) who finds out she has title connections by way of her old aristocratic surname and who is raped by her wealthy cousin (Leigh Lawson), whose right to the family title may not be as strong as he claims
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n23giRxa_yA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bought this on BD during the last sale at B&N. Great BD. I'd never seen the film. I'm not a big fan of Polanski but I do admire what work I've seen of his. Chinatown, Repulsion, and few others. I honestly didn't know this was a Polanski film. I really just bought it cuz the BD cover had a very beautiful image of the girl. It attracted me. I wanted to know what this girl's story was. Something about it. Covers don't usually attract me, I don't think they have since like VHS. I saw it last month but the film has stayed in my mind. I think about it every once in a while.

I thought it was a masterpiece. Probably the best Polanski film I'v seen. I love Chinatown and etc but this one was just so well done. The imagery, the faces of the actors, the costumes, and so much more. It was so romantic in every aspect. Such a beautiful film. I LOVE great female characters and this one I was just so involved in. I didn't want her to suffer, to do things I knew would come, and loved her to be happy. Not many films can get me to feel that way.

I feel compelled to heavily recommend this film. Very beautiful film.

this clip includes what I now call as my favorite shot ever. I feel like I'm there, the rush of the gallop, the dust, etc. Splendid.

Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lpWLhVkZb-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-20-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Tess (1979, D: Polanski) (S:N.Kinski, L. Lawson, P. Firth)

Way-old movie to get its own thread.

But I really like the film as well. I was in a Thomas Hardy phase for a while, which helped. Kinski was in her hot-with-snake phase around that time, which also helped. And yes, it's beautifully shot.

I think I have this on DVD but last year I put the BD in my Amazon cart for price monitoring. I know it's dipped to 19.99 now and then so I'll probably pull the trigger on it one of these days.
Old 09-20-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm not a big fan of Polanski
Does not compute.

He's one of the best directors in the world.

Knife in the Water
Repulsion
Cul-De-Sac
The Fearless Vampire Killers
Rosemary's Baby
Macbeth
Chinatown
The Tenant
Tess
Death and the Maiden
The Pianist
The Ghost Writer

Sure things get a tad spotty in the latter half of his career, but yeah... one of the masters.

You haven't seen Rosemary's Baby?
Old 09-20-14, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally worth the BD. I haven't gotten around to most of it but they're meaty features.

I'm not all that rounded on Kinski's work but I honestly didn't know it was her till either I read the back cover or the intro credits had her name. For some reason, she didn't look like the Kinski I knew from. She has such a nubile type of youth in the film that I didn't recognize her. She was 17 when they were filming. Damn good job of her at that age.

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Does not compute.

He's one of the best directors in the world.

Knife in the Water
Repulsion
Cul-De-Sac
Rosemary's Baby
Macbeth
Chinatown
The Tenant
Tess
Death and the Maiden
The Pianist
The Ghost Writer

Sure things get a tad spotty in the latter half of his career, but yeah... one of the masters.

You haven't seen Rosemary's Baby?
I've seen Chinatown, Tess, Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, The Pianist, and The Ghost Writer.

I do want to see Cul de Sac though. Still haven't gotten around to seeing that one.

I don't doubt his talent. But... I'm just not big on him. Dunno why. His work doesn't attract me as much as others' do. I'm glad I discovered this one though.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-20-14 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Check out Knife in the Water. It's available on Hulu, and it's such an unbelievable fucking masterpiece it'll melt your face CLEAN off.

Tess is an excellent film. Glad you enjoyed it. I haven't seen it in a few years, need to check it out again.

But yeah, drop everything and watch Knife in the Water.
Old 09-20-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I wish this would have a CC version. It would be EPIQUE!

Old 09-20-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
But yeah, drop everything and watch Knife in the Water.
Drink every time you see Christian symbolism. You'll be hammered in no time.
Old 09-22-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

Funny you should bring this up now. I picked up Tess on a whim this summer during the B&N sale and I haven't gotten around to it yet. The 3 hour runtime and new baby at home makes it tough, but I'll have to push it to the top of the queue now.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Check out Knife in the Water. It's available on Hulu, and it's such an unbelievable fucking masterpiece it'll melt your face CLEAN off.
I didn't really love Knife in the Water the first time I saw it. I appreciated it, but I didn't love it. It's been years but I just remember the younger guy being completely insufferable. Maybe that was part of the point. I'll have to give it another shot at some point. As it is I prefer both Repulsion and Chinatown if we're talking about other Polanski films.
Old 09-22-14, 10:46 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Kinski's dad was sure a nice fellow.