DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Jason Bourne (2016, D: Greengrass) S: Damon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/622328-jason-bourne-2016-d-greengrass-s-damon.html)

dex14 09-15-14 06:40 PM

Jason Bourne (2016, D: Greengrass) S: Damon

EXCLUSIVE: Jason Bourne is coming back. Universal Pictures has begun making deals with Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass to reunite for their third film in The Bourne Identity series, sources tell me. This is an absolute stunner—and Universal would not comment nor would the reps—because Greengrass told Deadline as recently as last year that once the Bourne character regained his memory–that search formed the spine for the trilogy Damon starred in–there was no place else for the character to go creatively.

Well, they’ve figured it out. I’m told that the studio is so bullish on this that the intention is to make the re-team the next Bourne film to go into production to make the July 16, 2016 release slot that Universal had previously assigned to an untitled Bourne film. That would mean it would step in front of the spinoff sequel that is to reprise Jeremy Renner and be directed by Fast & Furious architect Justin Lin. That film, which began with the Tony Gilroy-directed The Bourne Legacy, remains in development. I thought that its premise—Renner plays one of several genetically altered assassins, all of whom are targeted for death—was smart and satisfying on its own. Universal intends to continue that series and to broaden its franchise base, much the way that Marvel cranks out superhero films. The Bourne Legacy was a good start to a new franchise, but Jason Bourne is a hard act to follow. Now, franchise hungry Universal has both of them. Lin can probably use the time, as he signed on to direct the second season of the HBO series True Detective.

I saw The Equalizer as it premiered in Toronto, and it reminded me of The Bourne Identity, in that both are sophisticated adult thriller franchises where the protagonists are capable of high action exploits, but they are not running around in spandex. Even though I could not get corroboration, I am confident enough to say that, probably very soon these deals will all be done and that fans will be pretty happy to have Bourne back.

Both Damon and Greengrass are perpetually busy. Damon next stars for Ridley Scott in The Martian, and Greengrass has several project percolating, most recently circling at Fox The Ballad of Richard Jewell, the story of the security guard at the Atlanta Olympics who uncovered a suspicious backpack and cleared the crowd away from a park before it exploded, only to be vilified as a possible terrorist in the advent of the 24 hour news cycle. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill are going to star in that one, and Captain Phillips’ scribe Billy Ray has penned the script. Damon’s repped by WME, Greengrass by CAA.
http://deadline.com/2014/09/universa...e-film-834821/

RocShemp 09-15-14 06:47 PM

Re: Untitled Bourne Sequel (2016, D: Greengrass) S: Damon

So they ditched the plan to have a Damon vs. Renner movie after the Legacy sequel and are instead going to make an Ultimatum sequel? Okay...

Supermallet 09-15-14 06:54 PM

"Well they figured it out." I suppose that's code for "Universal offered Greengrass and Damon enough money to retire to a private island."

GoldenJCJ 09-15-14 07:00 PM

I'm always up for more Jason Bourne! Sure the trilogy became fairly repetitive but I enjoyed the hell out of all three of them. I thought the trilogy was bookended well with Bourne waking up in the water in the beginning and
Spoiler:
swimming away
at the end so a fourth Jason Bourne movie midgut seem a bit disconnected but if they find the right story I'll watch.

RocShemp 09-15-14 07:18 PM

Maybe they'll finally start following the books.
Spoiler:
In the Bourne novels he was battling his nemesis, Carlos the Jackal. By the Bourne Ultimatum, David Webb was a teacher and had to revert to being Jason Bourne in order to deal with Carlos once and for all.

They could change the series nemesis to some fictional character and adapt from there.

My Other Self 09-15-14 08:34 PM

I enjoyed all of the original Bourne films and hated the Renner one. I'll take this over a Bourne Legacy sequel. :up:

Michael Corvin 09-15-14 09:08 PM

:banana:

The Bourne Trilogy is probably my favorite franchise of the last decade. I'm always up for more.

fumanstan 09-15-14 09:38 PM

Legacy could have been decent but ended up boring, so i'm happy to see that they have a good idea to bring back Bourne. I still kind of hope they have Renner's character meet up with Bourne.

RocShemp 09-15-14 10:15 PM

Legacy wasn't bad but the first 25 minutes were extremely dull. There was far too much time spent on what was actually a very simple setup for what should have been a lean 100 minute chase movie.

Decker 09-15-14 10:43 PM

Never thought we'd see the day. Damon sounded pretty adamant about being done. Glad they were able to swing this and bring back Greengrass as well.

SuperJim88 09-15-14 10:56 PM

It better be hell of a story. And Julia Stiles better be cast too.

hanshotfirst1138 09-15-14 11:12 PM

I was figuring they'd put Renner and Damon together for a big team-up adventure. Two left-wing secret agents for the price of one ;)! Maybe this'll get that big boxed set with the UV codes out :shrug:. It looks like even though Limon was the one who started it, this has essentially become Greengrass' franchise. I'm assuming Gilroy will write the script again.

GoldenJCJ 09-15-14 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12235898)
Legacy wasn't bad but the first 25 minutes were extremely dull. There was far too much time spent on what was actually a very simple setup for what should have been a lean 100 minute chase movie.

When I watched The Bourne Legacy I honestly thought the whole storyline of traveling around the world looking for his medication was just going to be a minor subplot to a larger overall story. I was surprised to find out that it ended up being the main plot. The entire story they chose to tell should have been little more than a few minutes of the movie or some expository dialogue somewhere in the middle.

lizard 09-16-14 02:12 PM

I was disappointed to hear that Greengrass is going to direct it. I HATED his shakey-cam quick-cut fight scenes in the second Bourne movie. It was toned down a bit in the third one but still annoying. Much as I liked Damon in the Bourne movies — especially the first one — I'll probably pass on this new one.

bootsy 09-16-14 03:14 PM

He directed the best(Supremacy) and 2nd best(Ultimatum) of the series so I'm fine with Greengrass. I guess I am the only person that has never been annoyed or bothered by shaky cam. I actually like it.

devilshalo 09-16-14 03:20 PM

He does it in moderation tho where I don't feel it's excessive. I think he knows how to capture it best having been a journalist. He's supposed to be writing this which will also be interesting to see.

Decker 09-16-14 03:20 PM

I agree -- the second was way better and more cerebral than the first. Wasn't crazy about the shaky cam, but I didn't really mind it since it game the action scenes an authentic feel.

GoldenJCJ 09-16-14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy (Post 12236790)
I guess I am the only person that has never been annoyed or bothered by shaky cam. I actually like it.

I really have no problem with Greengrass' style of shaky cam. He usually uses it in a realistic and effective way. The shaky cam that REALLY annoys me is the found footage can't-even-make-out-what's-going-on shaky cam. Movies like Cloverfield are damn near unwatchable to me.

Supermallet 09-16-14 07:42 PM

Greengrass uses shaky cam better than most directors, but I think I got seasick watching the dialogue scenes in Ultimatum. I don't think there's a locked off shot anywhere in that movie.

dex14 09-17-14 03:13 PM

Let's hope Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner don't bump into each other at a restaurant.

In re-engaging with Universal to return to the Jason Bourne franchise with director Paul Greengrass after their contentious exit following 2007's The Bourne Ultimatum, Damon has put in jeopardy a planned follow-up to 2012's The Bourne Legacy that is set to star Renner and be directed by Justin Lin for a 2016 release.

Several sources say that if deals and a story idea can be worked out with Damon, 43, and Greengrass, 59 — no small feat considering both bailed over Greengrass' creative issues — Universal will proceed with a Bourne reunion and put the Renner reboot follow-up on the back burner. Greengrass and longtime editor Christopher Rouse are said to have settled on a strong concept that would return Damon to his most lucrative role. But it's unclear if Greengrass will prioritize writing and directing the Bourne project as Fox is deciding whether it will greenlight his planned movie about accused Olympics bomber Richard Jewell, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill.

Universal declined comment on the status of the Bourne franchise, but Frank Marshall, a producer on all the films, tells The Hollywood Reporter that the project starring Renner, 43, isn't dead. "That movie is moving forward," insists Marshall. "It's still in development. We're working to get a script as soon as possible." Marshall adds that because there are no deals with Damon or Greengrass, the strategy is to proceed with both projects simultaneously.

Damon's return for a fourth Bourne likely would be a boost for him and for the franchise. His third outing grossed $442.8 million worldwide and generated strong reviews, while the reboot starring Renner as a new character inhabiting the universe of the Robert Ludlum novels grossed a strong but not spectacular $276.1 million worldwide. Damon's recent films, including the 2013 sci-fi actioner Elysium, have failed to match either of those numbers.

Greengrass, who had a critical and commercial hit with last fall's Captain Phillips, and Damon are said to have mulled a return to Bourne for at least a year, with Greengrass feeling a particular ownership over the direction of the franchise he inherited for two films after Doug Liman's 2002 hit The Bourne Identity. Damon has said that he would only do another Bourne film if Greengrass directs.

But as with everything in Hollywood, studio politics could be in play. Greengrass has been negotiating to direct the Jewell picture, but sources say Fox's Jim Gianopulos has been deciding whether it's ready for a green light. That has lead to speculation that Greengrass' camp could be floating the Bourne return to force Fox's hand — or at least nudge Fox toward a decision. Greengrass also is developing several other projects.

Adding to the intrigue, Stacey Snider, who is in line to move from DreamWorks CEO to a big role at Fox later this year, has a great relationship with Greengrass (she also made his United 93 when she was at Universal) and presumably would want to have Greengrass' next film after Captain Phillips — if it's still in play when she arrives at the studio. Fox and Snider declined to comment.

The result is uncertainty over whether either project will be ready for the July 2016 release date Universal has staked out for an untitled Bourne movie. From Star Wars to Spider-Man to Universal's own monsters library, studios increasingly are trying to turn their franchises into "universes" that can support multiple standalone movies focusing on different characters. So perhaps a Damon-fronted Bourne movie can co-exist or even benefit from a separate movie starring Renner. Or Universal might choose to sideline its Renner movie to focus on the star and director that have delivered the most success.

Marshall, for one, thinks it's a win-win situation because he'll either have one or two Bourne movies in the pipeline. "We're on two tracks," he says. "And if this one [with Damon and Greengrass] comes together, great, but they're still just talking."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20140917

devilshalo 09-17-14 03:14 PM

So they're going for the Bourne Cinematic Universe?

Osiris3657 09-17-14 11:12 PM

Can't believe Ultimatum was 7 years ago and that a new Damon featured Bourne picture would be almost a decade later.

redrum 11-09-14 12:23 PM

Matt Damon Confirms He's Reprising His Role as Jason Bourne

And you thought Matt Damon was done with the Bourne franchise!

After reports surfaced this summer claiming that the Hollywood star would not be reprising his role as Jason Bourne, it appears Damon has changed his mind.

E! News caught up with the actor and his close friend Ben Affleck Friday night as they celebrated season four of their resurrected passion project, Project Greenlight.

In between talking about their HBO series and their impressive muscles, Affleck (accidently?) revealed a big casting announcement.

"Well, [Damon's] going to be doing a Bourne movie next fall when I've just completely lost any semblance of physical fitness. So….," Affleck told E! News exclusively.

Did Affleck just say what we think he said? Oh yes, he did!

"Yes, next year," Damon responded to E! News when asked for clarification. "It'll be in 2016 when the movie will actually come out. [Director] Paul Greengrass is going to do another one and that's all I ever said. I just needed him to say yes."

There you have it, folks! Damon and Greengrass are reuniting for their third collaboration in the Bourne universe and the fifth film in the series overall. The big-screen hit, which has earned millions at the box office, was originally inspired by the novel series written by the late Robert Ludlum.

Late last year, fans received some tough news from Greengrass who revealed he had no interest in directing another Bourne movie.

"In the end I felt I had given it my all in two films I'm very proud of and didn't want to make another if I didn't believe it could be as good if not better," he told Deadline. "I couldn't come up with an idea, and the business reality of franchises is that when a studio has a Bourne, they're obliged to make one every couple of years. I discovered in my heart I didn't have another one in me."

He added, "The best thing was to move on, have someone else come in and make their mark on it."

Lucky for movie fans, there's nothing wrong with having a change of heart in Hollywood. Let the Bourne series continue!

mwbmis 11-09-14 03:03 PM

I'm sure Julia Styles will be happy for the work.

TheMovieman 11-09-14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12296308)
I'm sure Julia Styles will be happy for the work.

Her and Julia Stiles for sure.