Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great trailers for movies that didn't deliver?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Typical to jump on a hype wagon to only be disappointed, but there are some movies that I was hyped for, saw, didn't like, and yet the trailer still sells me on a movie I'd really like to see.

Case in point, I didn't really like Only God Forgives, but this particular trailer sells it as a movie I'd love to see:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/XiSq-7QQDQg?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/XiSq-7QQDQg?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

There's an energy to it that is sorely lacking in the actual movie. Any others that sold you on a concept, vibe, story line that didn't materialize in the actual movie?

I remember there being a law suit against Drive because it was so different from what was sold, but it worked in that movies favor.
Old 09-11-14, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Great trailers for movies that didn't deliver?

Star Wars Episode 1

[/thread]
Old 09-11-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nmJOO6D5RvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-11-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Well it's a great trailer, at least.
Old 09-11-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Star Wars Episode 1
Remember back then when it took an hour to download that trailer on the nascent Internet and people were running from one screen to another to see it projected over and over back when theaters actually still used 35mm? Good times . Then we saw the movie .

As far as Drive my friends actually went to see the film and complained exactly the same, assuming from the trailer that it'd be an action-oriented film, and were instead greeted with weird art-house exploitation movie. I loved it though. The fucking version from Vudu is in the wrong damn ratio though. Glad I have the BD.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-11-14 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

People paid to see Meet Joe Black for TPM trailer, and then walked out.
Old 09-11-14, 11:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Cosmopolis. Trailer still gives me chills with its intensity, but the movie was pretty much garbage, even though I bought it and gave it a second chance.
Old 09-12-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

The Superman Returns teaser trailer with Superman floating above Earth listening to Marlon Brando's dialogue was fantastic. The movie itself? Not so much.

If the entirety of The Men Who Stare at Goats was as funny as the trailer, it would be one of the funniest movies ever. Unfortunately, the trailer was better than the movie itself.
Old 09-12-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Cosmopolis. Trailer still gives me chills with its intensity, but the movie was pretty much garbage, even though I bought it and gave it a second chance.
Cosmopolis is the bomb, yo.

"Talent is more erotic when it's wasted."
Old 09-12-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
Agreed on that much, at least. I don't think I had ever seen that particular trailer. If I did, it had been replaced in my memory by the later ones that overused that annoying DUUNNNN, DUUNNNN sound effect.
You mean, that annoying effect that seems to be in just about every trailer these days?

I vote Pearl Harbor's teaser. Beautiful music, FDR's speech, and showing just enough to want us asking for more. I remember the theatre audience I was in going nuts for it, and well, the actual movie was pretty much garbage.
Old 09-12-14, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
You mean, that annoying effect that seems to be in just about every trailer these days?
the worst trailer cliche is the record scratch, music stop followed by a joke
Old 09-12-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
the worst trailer cliche is the record scratch, music stop followed by a joke
I always enjoy the clichè from horror or action trailers that show the title at the end and then just when you think the trailer is over something loud screeches onto the screen giving the audience one last jolt.
Old 09-12-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I vote Pearl Harbor's teaser. Beautiful music, FDR's speech, and showing just enough to want us asking for more. I remember the theatre audience I was in going nuts for it, and well, the actual movie was pretty much garbage.
This was my first thought. That is such an elegant. emotionally stirring trailer. I keep it in my favorites on YouTube so I can watch it every now and then.

The trailer for Oliver Stone's W makes the movie look really fast paced and satiric and cinematic, while the actual movie is very dour, scaled down, like a made for TV movie.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/weELpc3pYMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-12-14, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which movie in 2002 had a teaser for The Matrix Reloaded attached at the end of the credits? I remember being beyond pumped after seeing that and ultimately being let down with the end product.
Old 09-12-14, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest example of this for me was Twister. The trailers were absolutely heart-pounding and made it look like it was going to be the greatest disaster movie of all-time. Then it turned out to be a lame shitfest.

Teaser Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkX6igDCMs

Official Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKSIdx11DnE
Old 09-12-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

The trailer for Star Trek: Insurrection makes it look fantastic. The movie itself, however, was very disappointing.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hg3pFV0yIhA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-12-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jory
That's the one. I remember in the 90s and the first half of the 2000s, when trailers would re-use the same shit over and over, songs like "Walking On Sunshine" if it was a feel-good comedy or the Bram Stoker's Dracula or Requiem for a Dream soundtrack if it was a serious horror movie or drama. But now those seem to have been replaced by the DUUNNNN, DUUNNNN sounds from the later Prometheus trailers.
It's better than the chorus of voices that were in every trailer before that. On, e-oh-ah-ah!
Old 09-12-14, 08:46 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

8MM. Trailer was great, movie was donkey feces.
Old 09-12-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I have trouble even coming up with a great trailer in recent years, never mind the quality of the movies. LUCY was the last trailer I saw that made me want to see the movie and I loved the movie. Before that we'd have to go back to Tarantino trailers, esp. DJANGO and KILL BILL VOL. 1 and those were both great movies also.
Old 09-12-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Typical to jump on a hype wagon to only be disappointed, but there are some movies that I was hyped for, saw, didn't like, and yet the trailer still sells me on a movie I'd really like to see.

Case in point, I didn't really like Only God Forgives, but this particular trailer sells it as a movie I'd love to see:

There's an energy to it that is sorely lacking in the actual movie. Any others that sold you on a concept, vibe, story line that didn't materialize in the actual movie?

I remember there being a law suit against Drive because it was so different from what was sold, but it worked in that movies favor.
I loved it and thought it was even better than the trailer due to its introspective feel.

Originally Posted by Dan
Same as above.

Last edited by inri222; 09-12-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 11:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Cosmopolis is the bomb, yo.
"Talent is more erotic when it's wasted."
More like a shit bomb in a toilet made of shit! Or something!

Originally Posted by inri222
[re: Only God Forgives]I loved it and thought it was even better than the trailer due to its introspective feel.

[re: Cosmopolis]Same as above.
I love introspective movies as much as the next guy, but even going into Cosmopolis a second time (knowing full-well what I was in for, and putting aside the fact that the trailer made it seem like a spiritual successor to Crash, and doing my best to be open to the dialogue and whatnot), I still felt like it was garbage akin to Waking Life (my least-favourite Linklater film). Cosmopolis is the only reason I'm super hesitant about Maps to the Stars.
Old 09-12-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Killing Them Softly & The Counselor, which I also thought were way better than their trailers. I know many folks who think the opposite.
Old 09-12-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Battle Los Angeles
Old 09-12-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zyv19bg0scg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This trailer had such a jaunty feel to it, I thought I was in for an old timey screwball comedy. It turned out to be a big 'ol boring black and white movie.
Old 09-12-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^^

And made by a 26 year old hack.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.