Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unrelated Movies You Like To Pretend Are Sequels/Prequels To One Another [SPOILERS!]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Unrelated Movies You Like To Pretend Are Sequels/Prequels To One Another [SPOILERS!]

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Any of you like to pretend completely unrelated movies could be linked? For instance, I like to pretend that Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is a prequel to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Towards the end of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the Phantom and M (Richard Roxburgh) are revealed to be one and the same and Alan Quatermain (Sean Connery) identifies him as none other than James Moriarty. During said revelation Moriarty seemingly refutes this claim by saying "the supposed Napoleon of Crime? That man died at Reichenbach Falls. He died and I was reborn." Given that Richard Roxburgh looks too young to be James Moriarty, I like to imagine that he was Moriarty's henchman from Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. That character escapes at end of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows so it amuses me to assume that he later becomes M/The Phantom in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

What of the rest of you? Any completely unrelated movies you like to pretend serve as sequels/prequels to one another?
Old 09-07-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Unrelated Movies You Like To Pretend Are Sequels/Prequels To One Another [SPOILER

My favorite one has always been that Se7en is a sequel to The Usual Suspects.
Old 09-07-14, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Unrelated Movies You Like To Pretend Are Sequels/Prequels To One Another [SPOILER

None.
Old 09-07-14, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Goonies is a prequel to Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom. The Short Round kid has his first treasure hunting adventure in Goonies, and that experience leads him to later helping out Indiana Jones.
Old 09-07-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Almost Famous is a prequel to Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Old 09-07-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Midnight Run and Hard Eight, sort of. In MR, Philip Baker Hall has a small part as a gangster named Sydney in Las Vegas. In HE, he plays an (ex-?) gangster named Sydney in Reno. I don't know if PTA intended his Sydney to be the same character, but I like to think he is.
Old 09-07-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I remember reading a theory once about eithe Vanilla Sky being a prequel to Minority Report, or the other way around.

Another one I saw recently was Get the Gringo working as a pseudo sequel to Payback. Of course, you could watch the many movies based on Stark's Parker books and pretend they're sequels to each other the way the books are.
Old 09-07-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captain Philips as a prequel to Zero Dark Thirty
Old 09-07-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Land of the Minotaur & Prince of Darkness

Donald "Asskicker Priest" Pleasance constantly battling the devil!
Old 09-07-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Even though it diminishes the poignancy of Annie Hall, I like to imagine Manhattan Murder Mystery shows Alvy and Annie in their later years after having gotten together after all.
Old 09-07-14, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Even though it diminishes the poignancy of Annie Hall, I like to imagine Manhattan Murder Mystery shows Alvy and Annie in their later years after having gotten together after all.
Isn't Manhattan Murder Mystery based on a deleted plot from Annie Hall?
Old 09-07-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by so it goes
Isn't Manhattan Murder Mystery based on a deleted plot from Annie Hall?
Per Wikipedia, "The screenplay for Manhattan Murder Mystery started out as an early draft of Annie Hall, but Woody Allen did not feel that it was substantial enough, and he decided to go in a different direction."
Old 09-07-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

How about concurrent sequels/prequels?

Moon and Soldier take place during Blade Runner.
Old 09-07-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I see Pulp Fiction and True Romance as prequels to Reservoir Dogs.
Old 09-07-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
I see Pulp Fiction and True Romance as prequels to Reservoir Dogs.
I see Natural Born Killers as one, too. Seymore Scagnetti is in it.
Old 09-07-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, good catch. I forgot about the cop character.
Old 09-07-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The Big Chill is a sequel to St Elmo's Fire.
Old 09-07-14, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Per Wikipedia, "The screenplay for Manhattan Murder Mystery started out as an early draft of Annie Hall, but Woody Allen did not feel that it was substantial enough, and he decided to go in a different direction."
Well now, mind blown
Old 09-07-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seymour Scagnetti is a parole officer in Reservoir Dogs.

Jack Scagnetti is a cop in Natural Born Killers.

But both are rumored to be in the Vega Brothers movie
Old 09-07-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scagnetti on Scagnetti.
Old 09-07-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Scagnetti on Scagnetti.
Old 09-07-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

His biography in NBK.
Old 09-07-14, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I can't say that I have seen many of them, but haven't Liam Neeson's last five or six films all been about him going after kidnappers? Could all of these be continuations of the Taken series?
Old 09-08-14, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I can't say that I have seen many of them, but haven't Liam Neeson's last five or six films all been about him going after kidnappers? Could all of these be continuations of the Taken series?
Old 09-08-14, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Evil (1978) is a sequel to The Legend of Hell House (1973). The Haunting (1963) a prequel to The Legend of Hell House. Not sure where to place The Others (2001) with its Legend of Hell House references.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.