Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars uncut Cantina Scene - Han shoots first (and has game with the ladies)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars uncut Cantina Scene - Han shoots first (and has game with the ladies)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Star Wars uncut Cantina Scene - Han shoots first (and has game with the ladies)

There is also rumor of a follow-up love scene between Han and the woman. Originally, Han "shot" first. However George Lucas wanted to soften Han's image from "scoundrel" to "sensitive lover" so he digitally tweaked the scene to give the woman multiple orgasms first.
Old 09-08-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars uncut Cantina Scene - Han shoots first (and has game with the ladies)

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Also interesting to note there is no cantina band. I guess they added them in after additional shooting.
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
You're thinking of the "improved" Max Rebo Band in ROTJ. They were added after Lucas added the additional (Greedo) shooting ...
I might be missing a joke here but he's not wrong. This cantina sequence was shot in April '76 in England. Lucas wasn't happy with the lack of creatures, so he had Rick Baker and crew create a bunch of new ones (including the cantina band) for insert shots. They were all filmed in Hollywood in January '77.

Last edited by Matt; 09-08-14 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-08-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That's exactly what I thought when watching that. It's no wonder all the actors involved thought they were making a terribly cheesy sci-fi flick.
When people take off their rose-colored glasses, the Cantina scene IS terribly cheesy. Masks that have no articulation, horribly cheap-looking makeup and effects. If you were to show people only that scene, they'd never guess that Star Wars was a special effects landmark film.
Old 09-08-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^And the mixing of cheap 70s masks with bad 90s CGI in the special editions makes it even worse.
Old 09-08-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
I might be missing a joke here but he's not wrong. This cantina sequence was shot in April '76 in England. Lucas wasn't happy with the lack of creatures, so he had Rick Baker and crew create a bunch of new ones (including the cantina band) for insert shots. They were all filmed in Hollywood in January '77.
Yep ... and yep.