Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade 4 - Rumors, news, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blade 4 - Rumors, news, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I thought Benicio was already a part of the MCU?

Spoiler:
I know you're talking about GDT. Quit getting your panties in a bunch. Fucking nerds.
Old 09-22-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I'd be down with Snipes back as Blade and have no problems with his character from the original two films carrying over to the MCU. The first two Blade films were strong and even though the third wasn't very good I think the franchise can be redeemed without being rebooted. I think Snipes could still play the character at least a few more entries if they start filming soon. They probably shouldn't hold off too long though if they want to use him.
Old 09-22-15, 05:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'd be down with Snipes back as Blade and have no problems with his character from the original two films carrying over to the MCU. The first two Blade films were strong and even though the third wasn't very good I think the franchise can be redeemed without being rebooted. I think Snipes could still play the character at least a few more entries if they start filming soon. They probably shouldn't hold off too long though if they want to use him.
from Expendables 3 i would have said no way, but the way he looks now and the buzz on The Player show i would love him as Blade again, maybe passing to a younger generation vampire slayer.
Old 09-22-15, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the biggest question I have is how they are going to work vampires into the MCU. The MCU seems to be taking a slightly more grounded in reality approach with the whole "magic is advanced science we don't understand yet" approach. There are aliens, and Thor is an alien instead of a god, but vampires are a whole other matter. Aliens can work in the "real world" much better than vampires can.
Old 09-22-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I guess the biggest question I have is how they are going to work vampires into the MCU. The MCU seems to be taking a slightly more grounded in reality approach with the whole "magic is advanced science we don't understand yet" approach. There are aliens, and Thor is an alien instead of a god, but vampires are a whole other matter. Aliens can work in the "real world" much better than vampires can.
Depends on if there's any intent to expand Spidey's universe because Morbius has been easter egg'd in the last film. However, he's not your typical vampire and Marvel/Sony is rebooting the series so one can throw all that out.
Old 09-22-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd hardly call the MCU grounded. It has some groundings for the universe that's been established thus far but when you have aliens, gods, AI coming to life, superhumans, technology that doesn't exist in real life, etc. running rampant through all the films it becomes pretty far from being grounded. I don't see how establishing Blade as a character would be a problem.
Old 09-22-15, 09:05 PM
Banned

I'd hardly call the MCU grounded. It has some groundings for the universe that's been established thus far but when you have aliens, gods, AI coming to life, superhumans, technology that doesn't exist in real life, etc. running rampant through all the films it becomes pretty far from being grounded. I don't see how establishing Blade as a character would be a problem.
I said it is slightly more grounded. The whole magic is advanced science thing means that everything has a scientific basis. There is no real magic. (At least until Doctor Strange comes... who knows then...)

There are no gods in the MCU. The Asgardians are aliens. They're not the Viking gods. Well they are the Viking gods, but the MCU is going with the "ancient alien" theory that aliens visited ancient civilizations and the civilizations worshiped them as gods. So the Asgardians aren't really "gods" per se, but rather they are aliens.

So far there hasn't been anything too extremely outlandish in the MCU. There are aliens, AI, advanced tech/science, but that is all in the realm of sci-fi. The MCU is as grounded as any other sci-fi like Aliens or Terminator or Star Trek or whatever.

My point was that the MCU isn't pure fantasy. It is, but it is somewhat grounded in reality too as much as any other sci-fi like Aliens/Terminator/Star Trek. There isn't anything really "magical" in the MCU (yet). There are no gods or magic or anything. It's all "science." How vampires (and Doctor Strange) are going to fit into that is what I was questioning. Vampires are much more in the realm of fantasy than aliens or advanced science is. Something like a Xenomorph or Predator or Groot is more logical than a vampire in a somewhat grounded setting.
Old 09-22-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Blade 4 - Rumors, news, etc.

I don't see vampires as being too far of a stretch over the alien stuff we've already seen. Given the tone of Daredevil, Blade isn't too far off and feels like he would fit more then Daredevil fighting an alien creature. And if Snipes is involved, I'd hope the previous movies become canon so there doesn't need to be any additional explanation.
Old 09-23-15, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We've already seen aliens, starships, sentient computers, teleportation, telekinesis, and mythic gods, it's not like vampires are huge stretch.
Old 09-23-15, 05:35 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked Snipes as Blade, but he's a bit past it now IMO. I'd rather they gave someone else (someone younger) a shot at the role instead.
Old 09-23-15, 06:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Daredevil has teased some stuff by now. That old lady. The Hand too. Then we got Iron Fist jump kicking in at some point.

Mysticism will easily come. It's not all that hard to speculate for it now.

Back when Thor came out? Yeah. That would have been hard. Now? Easy as fuck.
Old 09-23-15, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
We've already seen aliens, starships, sentient computers, teleportation, telekinesis, and mythic gods, it's not like vampires are huge stretch.
I went over all that. There are no gods in the MCU. The Asgardians are not actually gods. All the aliens and advanced science are just as believable and just as grounded as any other work of science fiction that uses aliens and advanced science... like Alien or Terminator. Vampires are a huge leap over that leap in terms of being grounded.

Originally Posted by NerfHerder
I liked Snipes as Blade, but he's a bit past it now IMO. I'd rather they gave someone else (someone younger) a shot at the role instead.
I do imagine that Snipes will just have a minor cameo kind of role. He won't be the actual star. Phase Three is already pretty well locked down through 2018. The earliest we will probably see a new Blade movie would be 2019 in Phase Four. Snipes will be 57 years old in 2019.

Also considering Marvel wants to lock down their main stars in multi-movie contracts, Snipes is just too old for that. He would be 57 in Blade 4, 60 in Blade 5, 63 in Blade 6.

I remember reading somewhere that Blade's daughter has recently been introduced in the comics. I bet they go that route with the movies too. It would be an easy way to do a "soft reboot."

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Daredevil has teased some stuff by now. That old lady. The Hand too. Then we got Iron Fist jump kicking in at some point.

Mysticism will easily come. It's not all that hard to speculate for it now.

Back when Thor came out? Yeah. That would have been hard. Now? Easy as fuck.
Daredevil hasn't done anything really mystical or magical... yet...

I do imagine that floodgate will probably be opened with the Doctor Strange movie though. Strange will probably introduce "real magic" into the MCU. I could see vampires and other mystical creatures being introduced then. Doctor Strange is the other 2016 movie after Civil War, so that is coming soon.
Old 09-23-15, 08:21 AM
Banned

It's teased something that isn't natural. It sure as hell wasn't hinting anything science fiction.

The Hand... no matter what. WILL have mysticism. That's a big fucking deal to them aside from being Ninjas in red. That Madame Gao knocking DD away, The way she references where her homeland was, the Steel Serpent emblem. DD is all gritty. But Madame Gao hints to world beyond what we've seen, hopefully Iron Fist goes into crazy awesome and wild HK style realities that they'd go into. When Cage and Iron Fist get together... that's going to be exciting. It'd be amazing if they got Donnie Yen for Iron Fist. But... that'll never happen. Course... Disney did get him for Rogue One, a fucking SW film. That man needs as much US exposure as he can get.
Old 09-23-15, 08:32 AM
Banned

Yeah, I know the Hand is mystical. I just said we haven't seen anything yet. It's been hinted definitely, but we haven't really seen anything yet.

There was also that weird kid Stick wanted to kill. I don't know what the deal was with that, but I bet it the kid was some mystical mumbo jumbo too. Hopefully we get some more of that storyline in season 2 because it ended with a big unresolved cliffhanger in season 1.

2016 will be the year the floodgate opens for magic and mysticism in the MCU. Daredevil season 2 will likely go there as will the Doctor Strange movie.
Old 09-23-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went over all that. There are no gods in the MCU. The Asgardians are not actually gods. All the aliens and advanced science are just as believable and just as grounded as any other work of science fiction that uses aliens and advanced science... like Alien or Terminator. Vampires are a huge leap over that leap in terms of being grounded.
I don't quite get your logic here. So because some of the stuff in the MCU exists as science fiction in other works that makes those elements more believable to you but vampires are just too far of a stretch? Science fiction or otherwise the MCU uses a lot of things that don't actually exist in real life. Plus vampires have existed with some logic in other works too. I don't see how having vampires exist are any more unbelievable in this universe than any other fictional element.
Old 09-23-15, 09:31 AM
Banned

I don't quite get your logic here. So because some of the stuff in the MCU exists as science fiction in other works that makes those elements more believable to you but vampires are just too far of a stretch? Science fiction or otherwise the MCU uses a lot of things that don't actually exist in real life. Plus vampires have existed with some logic in other works too. I don't see how having vampires exist are any more unbelievable in this universe than any other fictional element.
I guess what I am trying to say is that aliens are believable because they could exist in the real world. Outer space is virtually unknown. We don't know what the heck is out there. Science fiction could become science fact in the future. Smartphones were just a figment of our imagination 20 years ago. Now they are reality. Vampires however could never be real. Vampires are pure fantasy like goblins or elves or dwarves.

Another thing is that SHIELD has files on everything and everybody. They have a file on Doctor Strange according to what Agent Sitwell said in the Winter Soldier movie. Wouldn't they then know about vampires and vampire clans around the world? How could an alien invasion surprise them so much if they already knew something as mythical as vampires existed?
Old 09-23-15, 09:32 AM
Banned

Yeah. Especially now... Mysticism and things like vampires... aren't a huge leap. The foundations for the weird and strange to exist... have been laid out to where.... there aren't really limits now as there was when Phase 1 started.

Taffer... it's not that weird for the possibility of that shit existing as they're known to be now in the MCU.
Old 09-23-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went over all that. There are no gods in the MCU. The Asgardians are not actually gods. All the aliens and advanced science are just as believable and just as grounded as any other work of science fiction that uses aliens and advanced science... like Alien or Terminator.
They've explained (probably thanks to Whedon's avowed atheism) that the "gods" were actually aliens, but the powers they depict and the various creatures (Ice Giants, Elves) and concepts (Bifrost, rainbow bridge) all correlate with the corresponding Norse mythology (loosely). Yeah, it's not technically mythical, but it has its basis in actual mythology (and in the case of Alan Taylor, looks like sub-Peter Jackson). I'd hardly call anything showing Thor all that grounded in reality. The whole thing is a fantasy world full of flying people in long underwear. I don find vampires and werewolves that far-fetched.
Old 09-23-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
It's teased something that isn't natural. It sure as hell wasn't hinting anything science fiction.

The Hand... no matter what. WILL have mysticism. That's a big fucking deal to them aside from being Ninjas in red. That Madame Gao knocking DD away, The way she references where her homeland was, the Steel Serpent emblem. DD is all gritty. But Madame Gao hints to world beyond what we've seen, hopefully Iron Fist goes into crazy awesome and wild HK style realities that they'd go into. When Cage and Iron Fist get together... that's going to be exciting. It'd be amazing if they got Donnie Yen for Iron Fist. But... that'll never happen. Course... Disney did get him for Rogue One, a fucking SW film. That man needs as much US exposure as he can get.

Yeah, the old Asian kingpin boss is a "demon" and they also had the kid that Stick killed - he's a demon, too.

I feel bad for Ray Park - he's been linked to Iron Fist for like 10 year already and I don't see him getting cast for it with the way things are going.
Old 09-23-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as Snipes being Blade goes - he's still in tip-top shape (black don't crack), so I wouldn't mind but you'd have to have David Goyer not be involved in any way. It's his fault that Blade 3 sucked ass.
Old 09-23-15, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, the old Asian kingpin boss is a "demon" and they also had the kid that Stick killed - he's a demon, too.

I feel bad for Ray Park - he's been linked to Iron Fist for like 10 year already and I don't see him getting cast for it with the way things are going.
They're demons? That's the first I have heard of that. I'm not very familiar with Iron Fist, but from googling it seems like most people say Madam Gao is Crane Mother from the Iron Fist comics. I can't find anything about the kid in relation to the comics, so I think he may be entirely new. There was definitely something weird and/or mystical about the kid though since Stick was obviously afraid of him and wanted him dead.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
As far as Snipes being Blade goes - he's still in tip-top shape (black don't crack), so I wouldn't mind but you'd have to have David Goyer not be involved in any way. It's his fault that Blade 3 sucked ass.
Yeah, but for how long can he stay in tip-top shape? As I mentioned earlier, phase three is pretty much locked down through 2018. The earliest he would likely get a movie is in 2019 phase four. He will be 57 years old then, and he will be into his 60s in subsequent movies.

Casting Snipes as the main star is very short-term thinking, and I don't think Marvel will do that. They want their stars to sign long-term multi-movie contracts. Snipes is too old for that. I would bet if Snipes does appear in the MCU it will just be a cameo or minor role.
Old 09-23-15, 10:36 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

They're demons? That's the first I have heard of that. I'm not very familiar with Iron Fist, but from googling it seems like most people say Madam Gao is Crane Mother from the Iron Fist comics. I can't find anything about the kid in relation to the comics, so I think he may be entirely new. There was definitely something weird and/or mystical about the kid though since Stick was obviously afraid of him and wanted him dead.

Yeah, but for how long can he stay in tip-top shape? As I mentioned earlier, phase three is pretty much locked down through 2018. The earliest he would likely get a movie is in 2019 phase four. He will be 57 years old then, and he will be into his 60s in subsequent movies.

Casting Snipes as the main star is very short-term thinking, and I don't think Marvel will do that. They want their stars to sign long-term multi-movie contracts. Snipes is too old for that. I would bet if Snipes does appear in the MCU it will just be a cameo or minor role.
There's previous post in this thread that rumor that the star would be Blade's daughter and he would play more of the Whistler type of role.
http://screenrant.com/marvel-blade-daughter-movie/
Old 09-23-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
They've explained (probably thanks to Whedon's avowed atheism) that the "gods" were actually aliens, .
I have my doubts about this. Thor wrapped filming in May 2010 and Whedon wasn't hired by Marvel until mid April of that year. I supposed there could have been some reshoots, or the prologue was the last thing shot, but Captain America was the first film Whedon seemed to have any big influence on.
Old 09-23-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the impression I got as far as demons go.

As far as Blade goes - sure, why not? Worst case they can use Snipes as a mentor type figure for the new Blade to carry after him or something.
Old 09-23-15, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14
There's previous post in this thread that rumor that the star would be Blade's daughter and he would play more of the Whistler type of role.
http://screenrant.com/marvel-blade-daughter-movie/
Yeah, I mentioned Blade's daughter back in post #89. That article seems to imply (but doesn't explicitly state) that the daughter is high school age. Does anyone reading the comic know for sure? That could open up an interesting (and weird) crossover with Spider-Man and Blade's daughter in high school.

Also, teenage female vampire slayer... where have I heard that before... oh right, sounds like a rip on a Buffy. If Blade's daughter has the same humorous tone as Buffy, then it could actually work well crossing over with Spider-Man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.