Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do People know when they are making a Rubbish Movie ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do People know when they are making a Rubbish Movie ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Do People know when they are making a Rubbish Movie ?

Who knows? It was unlikely to break-even unless it became a monster hit. People forget that many were predicting the same thing for Titanic before it became one of history's greatest hits.
Old 08-26-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Here’s Pitts (and it’s better to hear him tell it, so if you have two minutes, it’s at the hour and one minute mark):

“[The movie] is about a nuclear submarine whose reactor starts failing and melting down, and as the captain of this boat [Harrison Ford’s] gotta send his guys into the core of this submarine knowing that they will certainly die of radiation poison and horrible deaths. And that’s the crux of the drama.
And at this point, it’s three-quarters of the way through the movie, and he’s sent a bunch of people in, and he’s overlooking the sick bay where his men are nearly dying or laid out. I’m one of the men nearly dead in one of the bunks and Harrison Ford is looking across the cabin.

The DP (director of photography) is trying to get his eyeline, and he says, “Harrison, where are you looking for this scene? Where’s your eyeline. Where are you looking?

And Harrison says, (in a gravely Harrison Ford voice): “Into my soul.”

And the guy goes, “All right, Harrison. But where is your soul exactly? Is it to your right? To your left? Where’s your soul at Harrison?”

And Harrison Ford says, “Buried. Under a mountain of money.”
Also, while appearing on Conan to promote the film he constantly was burying it and making fun of it. I cant find a good clip. Theres one on youtube but the volume is abysmal.

Furthermore, a friend of mine actually worked on the film and told me a story about how crew morale was a little low and Harrision got a good laugh from everyone by saying "Well, should we finish this piece of shit".

So in this instance, at least Harrison Ford knew he was making a turd.
Old 08-27-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what was going through Costner's mind during production of The Postman.
Old 08-27-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
also nowadays so many big budget films rely on post production CGI so no one knows what is gonna come out the other end (e..g RIPD and John Carter)
Good point. I have to wonder what some of the people in Lucasfilm were thinking when they saw Episode 1 coming together. Lucas seemed like he was surrounded by a lot of yes men, but were they secretly thinking "Uh oh"?
Old 08-27-14, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"I haven't seen it, i heard its god awful, but it did buy me this nice house" Michael Caine on Jaws 4
Old 08-27-14, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Gore Verbinski probably thought he had another Pirates of the Caribbean on his hands. Himself, Depp and Hammer complained about the media's role in the movie tanking.
I just watched this last night. The media was definitely NOT responsible for this movie's failures.
Old 08-27-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
"I haven't seen it, i heard its god awful, but it did buy me this nice house" Michael Caine on Jaws 4
“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”
Old 08-27-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Good point. I have to wonder what some of the people in Lucasfilm were thinking when they saw Episode 1 coming together. Lucas seemed like he was surrounded by a lot of yes men, but were they secretly thinking "Uh oh"?
"It’s a work of fiction. It’s a metaphor. It’s not real. And therefore, you can either like it or not like it. Whatever." - George Lucas

Translation : I can film myself in front of a greenscreen taking a 50 foot CGI dump, call it Star Wars and people will pay money to see it so I don't give a rat's ass about what any one thinks.
Old 08-27-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prince realized while editing his movie Under the Cherry Moon that he had made a turd. He spend the night lying face down on the floor crying according to his back then girlfriend Susannah Melvoin. He was however enthusiastic while filming, thinking he was making a masterpiece. Little did he know as a first time director...
Old 08-27-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hbilly
He spend the night lying face down on the floor crying according to his back then girlfriend Susannah Melvoin....
Forgot about him and Wendy's sister.
Old 08-27-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great thread.
Old 08-27-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder what was going through Costner's mind during production of The Postman.
The Simpsons probably weren't far off when they had that on-screen commentary with Costner apologizing for how terrible it was.
Old 08-27-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for shits and giggles, here's a couple more instances that show how people are often wrong, or right about a movies quality.

-Chris O Donnell said that he realized Batman and Robin was in trouble when before every take Joel Schumacher would say "Remember everybody, were making a toy commercial here!"

-John Cryer has told the story a couple of times that when he was filming Superman 4, Christopher Reeve took him aside and wanted to warn him they were making a bad movie. In his book, Reeve's also talks about how he knew the movie was doomed when a scene were he lands on 42nd street was shot with 100 extras, not a car in sight, and a bunch of pigeons.

-Michael Biehn has said that Navy Seals was the worst experience he ever had making a movie. He wanted a more serious realistic tone, and the director wanted a more goofy 80's action tone.

-Liam Neeson only did Taken because he thought it was a movie that would go straight to DVD and nobody would see him in it.

-The cast of A Nightmare on Elm Street had no idea they were making a big hit and thought the movie would be a limited release.

Last edited by robin2099; 08-27-14 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Check out the special features on Ep 1. You can see their faces when discussing the ending where 4 or 5 things are going on at once (which is also shown in that Plinkett review).
Old 08-28-14, 11:11 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Just for the record, Waterworld, K-19, and The Postman are good films. Anyone who has avoided them due to their reputation is missing out.
Old 08-28-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Just for the record, Waterworld, K-19, and The Postman are good films. Anyone who has avoided them due to their reputation is missing out.
If anyone bothers to see either WATERWORLD or THE POSTMAN on Mabuse's recommendation, please report back to us on who you think was right--him or everybody else.
Old 08-28-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Taken was a direct-to-video quality storyline that just happened to be a really damn entertaining movie because Neeson is a badass.
Old 08-28-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This comment begs for a related thread: "Do people know when they are watching a rubbish movie?"

Apparently, not in Mabuse's case.
Old 08-28-14, 02:06 PM
Banned

Have you seen the films?
Old 08-28-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you seen the films?
Yes, I have. Well, only half of "The Postman."
Old 08-28-14, 02:56 PM
Banned

From my experience people who watch "half" of movies are not interested in really engaging with cinema. You casually watch and then you casually dismiss. There are merits in those films that run deeper than, "I once watched part of it. It was awful."
Old 08-28-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

From my experience people who watch "half" of movies are not interested in really engaging with cinema. You casually watch and then you casually dismiss. There are merits in those films that run deeper than, "I once watched part of it. It was awful."
I suspect those merits run much, much deeper than most of us are willing to dive. Mr. Salty's certainly not the only one who had to "come up for air" after sitting through that much of THE POSTMAN.

As Pauline Kael was heard to mutter while walking out on RAISE THE TITANIC some 34 years ago: "Life is too short."

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-28-14 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The Postman is definitely watchable, if a bit bloated. It's not the worst movie like it has been made out to be.
Old 08-28-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From my experience people who watch "half" of movies are not interested in really engaging with cinema.
I don't watch half of "movies." I've seen half of one of the movies you mentioned.
Old 08-29-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I would love to have been a fly on the wall during that production. At some point they had to know that it just couldn't possibly work out for the studio.
As memory serves it was originally conceived as a low budget water knock-off of the Road Warrior then Costner got involved and everything eventually spun out of control.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.