Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you a film snob?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Are you a film snob?
Yes
32.08%
No
56.60%
What are you high?
11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Are you a film snob?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Are you a film snob?

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Got to love those First World problems if something like that affects you as you describe it,
Alan may be a crazy person, but I don't see anything wrong with having standards when it comes to forking over your hard earned (or in his case, parent loaned) money. It's certainly not worth invoking the dreaded "first world problems" response.
Old 12-28-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I think a film "snob" is someone who is closed minded.

It can work both ways; someone who primarily likes artistic/foreign/indie movies who looks down their nose at action movie. Similarly, people who only see movies as being entertainment and look down their nose at more artistic movie are snobs as well. There are good and bad examples of both types of movies and to dismiss an entire genre entirely is rather snobbish.
Old 12-28-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm somewhere in between. I own some not-so-great flicks but only because there is something I love about them - can even just be one element (i.e. atmosphere). I guess I just really appreciate the art when a film captures what I want to see.

I don't have a huge collection at all and will only buy physical copies of films I really like - so again, I fall somewhere in between.

I also agree with a lot of what Shannon Nutt said. I have that mindset from time to time when watching films.
Old 12-28-15, 12:01 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Maybe. Probably.
Old 12-30-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

No. I watch strictly for entertainment. But, I do like high quality entertainment. It doesn't have to win an Oscar to be a great movie, imo
Old 12-31-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I think a film "snob" is someone who is closed minded.

It can work both ways; someone who primarily likes artistic/foreign/indie movies who looks down their nose at action movie. Similarly, people who only see movies as being entertainment and look down their nose at more artistic movie are snobs as well. There are good and bad examples of both types of movies and to dismiss an entire genre entirely is rather snobbish.
Well said. The whole term is ill-defined - people who arbitrarily restrict what they'll even consider watching need a term. But it shouldn't automatically imply snootiness or mundaneity or (anti)intellectualism, and it should be broadly independent of interest and taste.
Old 12-31-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^Also well stated.
Old 12-31-15, 11:56 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

From dictionary.com:

snob (noun) - a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field: a musical snob.

Using that definition, yeah--I'm a film snob. Case in point: the other day, one of my brothers asked if I had seen The Pursuit of Happyness. I told him that I hadn't, and that I generally didn't watch Will Smith movies. It's not that I won't watch it if it happens to be on TV while I'm flipping through the channels, but it's not something that I'm going to actively seek out.

Then again, he labels any movie that's remotely outside of the mainstream for him a "Rob" movie (my first name's Rob).
Old 01-01-16, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

If avoiding Tyler Perry films, 99% of Made for TV movies unless they are on HBO, and most movies with C level actors then maybe I am a snob.
Old 01-01-16, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
From dictionary.com:

snob (noun) - a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field: a musical snob.

Using that definition, yeah--I'm a film snob. Case in point: the other day, one of my brothers asked if I had seen The Pursuit of Happyness. I told him that I hadn't, and that I generally didn't watch Will Smith movies. It's not that I won't watch it if it happens to be on TV while I'm flipping through the channels, but it's not something that I'm going to actively seek out.

Then again, he labels any movie that's remotely outside of the mainstream for him a "Rob" movie (my first name's Rob).
So your brother is one of those pieces of shit that supports Bay in that case? Your mother should have swallowed the load that was your brother.

....seriously though... that's funny .
Old 01-01-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I care about is whether or not I enjoyed the film. As long as I did, then I'm good. I don't care beyond that.

When I was younger, I saw every new film released wide. I was seeing, sometimes, six or seven movies a week. After a while I started to realize that somewhere along the line, I'd just stopped "enjoying" movies. I'd started to view each one as a more technical, mechanical endeavor, as opposed to a living, breathing organism that ebbed and flowed. I'd leave the theater, and pick apart the acting, directing, music, lighting... Everything was broken down and quantified. So I just stopped.

Now, I go into a movie wth no expectations. Nothing on my mind. And if I leave the theater, and I've enjoyed myself, then the film succeeded for me. Period. That's all I care about. It's the same reason I don't watch any extras, or listen to interviews with directors, or wonder "how'd they do that?" in regards to effects. I realized that all those years, I'd lost why I loved movies so much in the first place. The magic. I just want a little of that magic back...

Edit: From a post I made on another forum...

I'd consider myself a hardcore film fan, and I, literally, could not care less about extras or commentary. I'm a fan of the film itself. The behind the scenes stuff, the commentary saying that, "with this scene, the table wasn't supposed to be knocked over, but it happened, so we left it in," the documentary about the score... None of that interests me personally. I understand the appeal, certainly, but for me, movies have always been akin to magic. I want to be dazzled, and once I learn the "trick," I'll never quite be able to recapture that. I'll always see the mechanics behind the trick, but never truly allow myself to be astonished by the actual thing happening.
Old 01-01-16, 09:21 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
From dictionary.com:

I would argue then that there are far more "normal" snobs (i.e. people who only watch a certain type of film and sneer at anyone more varied or different) than TRUE (i.e. stereotypical) snobs - those who like Art films and French films and flatly refuse to believe Hollywood can make anything worth watching.

My hope is that more people will be willing to broaden their horizons - hence the great cultural benefit of the Challenges here - and open themselves up to the truth that there are a) objectively Good, b) well-made and technically adept and c) subjectively worth-watching and entertaining films in EVERY genre, from EVERY decade and falling EVERYWHERE along the objective (or arbitray) scales referenced in a) and b). Far too few people believe, care or allow themselves to discover that. And, as such, despite being almost as far from snobs as it's possible to be, they paradoxically fall under the second part of the defined umbrella:

"condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes."

That part, sadly, needs no knowledge, expertise or even thought to be an attitude that's taken hold in far too many walks of life.
Old 01-02-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

yeah I probably am. I look down on people who think the MCU movies are any better than the Transformer films. I mean I don't think less of them in any real sorta way, I just think they have shit taste in movies.
Old 01-02-16, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
yeah I probably am. I look down on people who think the MCU movies are any better than the Transformer films. I mean I don't think less of them in any real sorta way, I just think they have shit taste in movies.
And I look down on people who think MCU movies and Transformers movies both operate on the same level. Not that I think less of them as people, but that they have zero understanding of what makes movies work; basically being movie-ignorant.
Old 01-02-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I have no idea what you two are talking about.
Old 01-03-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
And I look down on people who think MCU movies and Transformers movies both operate on the same level. Not that I think less of them as people, but that they have zero understanding of what makes movies work; basically being movie-ignorant.
Had you said the X Men films don't operate on the same level, I would have been inclined to agree. But there isn't a lick of difference between the Avengers and Transformers movies.