DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Leatherface (2017) -- Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/621771-leatherface-2017-texas-chainsaw-massacre-prequel.html)

dex14 08-13-14 07:39 PM

Leatherface (2017) -- Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel

Up-and-coming genre scribe Seth M. Sherwood has been hired to write a prequel to the original 1974 horror classic “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” titled simply “Leatherface,” an individual familiar with the Millennium Films project has told TheWrap.

Official plot details are being kept under wraps, though the new film is expected to serve as an origin story that follows Leatherface's early years in the 1970s.

Alexandra Daddario starred in last year's “Texas Chainsaw” movie as Leatherface's long-lost cousin, but it's currently unclear whether she would return, given the bloody timeline of the series. If she does, it would likely be a cameo appearance as another character, such as a different member of Leatherface's extended family.

Carl Mazzocone is producing “Leatherface,” while Christa Campbell and Lati Grobman will serve as executive producers. Campbell and Grobman fought hard to resurrect the franchise and the genre buffs are excited to get started on the next installment.

Millennium Films is financing the project and will sell international rights. Millennium executives Beth Bruckner and Christine Crow are overseeing “Leatherface” for the studio.

Production could start as soon as this winter, with a director expected to sign on in the coming weeks.

Sherwood has several projects percolating around town including a supernatural thriller at Blumhouse that will be directed by Greg Plotkin (“Paranormal Activity 5”). He also wrote a psychological thriller titled “Interstate 5” that was voted to the 2012 Blood List. Described as a cross between “Jacob's Ladder” and “Natural Born Killers,” the story follows a serial killer's son and the daughter of one of his victims as they team up to find the maniac, only to be haunted by demonic forces intent on driving them mad.

Sherwood, who also wrote, produced and co-directed the short film “Fruitcake,” is represented by manager Kailey Marsh and attorney Josh Sandler at Gray Krauss Stratford Sandler Des Rochers LLP.

Grobman recently earned an Emmy nomination for the documentary “Brave Miss World.”

Why So Blu? 08-13-14 07:40 PM

re: Leatherface (2017) -- Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel

Ew.

Timber 08-13-14 07:43 PM

They haven't milked that movie for everything it's worth yet?

RocShemp 08-13-14 07:43 PM

Are they going to spend the bulk of the movie calling him Tommy?

DJariya 08-13-14 07:53 PM

Didn't they already make this movie?

I absolutely hated the reboot. Terrible movie. I thought they were trying to write a sequel based off those events?

dugan 08-13-14 08:07 PM

And didn't the series already use that title? For the third movie?

Hazel Motes 08-13-14 08:16 PM

wow, they literally made this exact movie like 8 years ago.

https://www.movieposter.com/posters/...n/38/MPW-19076

Mondo Kane 08-13-14 09:48 PM

the new film is expected to serve as an origin story that follows Leatherface's early years in the 1970s.
Which one????
The one from the orginal?
The one from the next generation?
The one from the remake?
The one from the 3D reboot?

hanshotfirst1138 08-13-14 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 12199273)
They haven't milked that movie for everything it's worth yet?

Apparently not.

My Other Self 08-13-14 09:51 PM

I saw TCM: The Beginning in theaters on a date.

Both the movie and the date sucked.

Matthew Chmiel 08-13-14 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12199361)
Both the movie and the date sucked.

Did that occur during the movie or after?

hanshotfirst1138 08-13-14 11:51 PM

:rimshot:

stingermck 08-14-14 07:13 AM

Must be a prequel to the original, since The Beginning was a prequel to the Reboot. And the one that just came out was a direct sequel to the original. This is starting to get Highlander confusing.

EddieMoney 08-14-14 07:16 AM

I'm in as long as Alexandra is involved and naked.

inri222 08-14-14 08:08 AM

Oh boy. They should have called it Leatherface Rysyng.

DRG 08-14-14 08:31 AM

I think a good origin story *could* be told about Leatherface, but it's doubtful they would do it right. This is a weak-minded kid who grew up in this messed up homicidal family, abused and bullied by them. An interesting story could be told about a kid growing up in an environment like that and how it screws him up, but it would be a hard sell for those audiences going in expecting another "teens chased by chainsaws" flick (like the last so-called prequel was).

EddieMoney 08-14-14 09:04 AM

They really should have stopped after the first one. As in, the '73 film.

TheHive08 08-14-14 09:39 AM

I actually enjoy the hell out of the first Leatherface (the third movie in the original series). It's not scary at all, but it's wildly entertaining watching Ken Foree be a badass and Viggo Mortensen be a crazy son of a bitch.

Josh-da-man 08-14-14 09:51 AM

TCM has have the most screwed up continuity of any horror franchise...

'74 Texas Chainsaw Massacre - straight up gritty horror movie
'86 Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - sequel to the original that is nearly an Evil Dead 2 style black comedy
'90 Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III - Straight up 80s style slasher that ignores the first sequel
'94 Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Next Generation - another horror comedy sequel that ignores the previous two sequels
'03 Texas Chainsaw Massacre - full remake and reboot of the franchise
'06 Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning - prequel to the reboot
'13 Texas Chainsaw 3D - sequel to the original 1974 film that ignores all previous movies and reuses actors that film and the 1986 sequel in different roles

Solid Snake 08-14-14 09:56 AM

Damn. They won't leave it alone will they?

DaveyJoe 08-14-14 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheHive08 (Post 12199671)
I actually enjoy the hell out of the first Leatherface (the third movie in the original series). It's not scary at all, but it's wildly entertaining watching Ken Foree be a badass and Viggo Mortensen be a crazy son of a bitch.

Yeah I really enjoyed that one too, the only problem is that the film got hacked down by censors. The second movie has a surprising fanbase as well.

Solid Snake 08-14-14 10:36 AM

Those two are on BD now, no? Not that I care for them but just wondering.

EddieMoney 08-14-14 10:43 AM

TCM 2 is a fun movie, and the third isn't too bad, either. But at this point, there really didn't need to be anything beyond the first. Unlike, say, The Matrix, which had two "explosive, mind-bending sequel!(s)"

GoldenJCJ 08-14-14 11:10 AM

An origin story worked for Michael Myers! :up:

Oh wait, it didn't.

inri222 08-14-14 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12199748)
...The Matrix, which had two "explosive, mind-bending sequel!(s)"

http://24.media.tumblr.com/19177eba8...db29o1_500.gif