DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Coherence (2014) D: Byrkit -- Sci Fi Thriller (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/621761-coherence-2014-d-byrkit-sci-fi-thriller.html)

Osiris3657 08-13-14 08:18 AM

Coherence (2014) D: Byrkit -- Sci Fi Thriller

Anyone seen this yet? A low budget indie movie that has only been on the festival circuit since last Fall, but it is available to rent via iTunes or Amazon instant video.

Good reviews too, 85% on RT, 64 on Metacritic, 7.4 on IMDb.

Plot: On the night of an astrological anomaly, eight friends at a dinner party experience a troubling chain of reality bending events.
Writer/Director: James Ward Byrkit (first timer, started working in the industry as a storyboard artist).

Needless to say the cast is a bunch of unknowns.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sEceDz1Rodc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Think I'll give this a watch tonight.

Navinabob 08-13-14 11:32 AM

Re: Coherence (2014) D: Byrkit -- Sci Fi Thriller

Plus, Xander from Buffy!

pjflyer 08-14-14 09:02 AM

I really enjoyed this one. Coherence and Cold In July are the best films I've seen so far this year.

HN 08-25-14 02:59 PM

good movie. got goosebumps on a couple of scenes. and emily foxler is delicious

valkyrie 08-25-14 09:08 PM

I thought it was a little slow to get going, but quite interesting, once it did. I ultimately enjoyed it and would recommend it as a rental. Neat plot and thought-provoking ending.

riotinmyskull 08-30-14 02:09 AM

just got done with this and thought it was fantastic...fans of PRIMER and THE ONE I LOVE should enjoy this.

J. Farley 08-31-14 07:36 PM

Watched this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. It sort of gave me a Triangle vibe toward the end. It was also nice seeing Emily Foxler again, as I hadn't seen her in anything since '08.

RichC2 09-04-14 08:41 PM

Enjoyed it, though I wish the characters were written a little more like logical people and less the cliche archetypes that were here. They kind of got annoying in spots.

A little too similar to Triangle in spots but still fun.

SuckaMC 09-04-14 10:52 PM

Yo Scotty are you here?

Anyway, I'll have to check this out. I like all the movies y'all are comparing it too. And its only $13 on vudu.

Osiris3657 09-25-14 08:35 PM

Watched this tonight, excellent little thriller. VERY low budget (filmed personally by the director in his own home, no crew), but it was tense, well acted, and well written.

Recommended!

Count Dooku 09-25-14 09:37 PM

Got this last week but haven't watched yet

d2cheer 09-26-14 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12247688)
Watched this tonight, excellent little thriller. VERY low budget (filmed personally by the director in his own home, no crew), but it was tense, well acted, and well written.

Recommended!

Agree on all of the above.

RichC2 12-26-14 01:09 PM

This is on amazon prime instant now for anyone still interested in watching it.

OldBoy 12-26-14 01:14 PM

added to Watch List.

looks interesting.

TheBigDave 12-27-14 05:39 PM

Just watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Took a while to get going. But I was on the edge of my seat for the second half. I think I'll have to watch it again. The twists and turns were coming so fast I probably missed some stuff.

The comparisons to Triangle are spot on. And if you haven't seen that one yet, definitely check it out. That was a great movie too.

riotinmyskull 12-28-14 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12345551)
Just watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Took a while to get going. But I was on the edge of my seat for the second half. I think I'll have to watch it again. The twists and turns were coming so fast I probably missed some stuff.

The comparisons to Triangle are spot on. And if you haven't seen that one yet, definitely check it out. That was a great movie too.

if you liked TRIANGLE, be sure to check out TIMECRIMES

DeanoBKN 01-28-15 03:21 PM

Watched this last night after discovering it on Amazon Prime. I remember the film generated some buzz upon release but really had no idea what the plot was about. What a total mindfuck. Well acted, and pretty unnerving at times.

Very disappointed that there is no Blu-Ray release in the UK, only Denmark it seems. Looks like i'll need to import this for the collection.

RichC2 01-28-15 03:39 PM

Oh yeah, here's a good short read:

How Gotham Nominee James Ward Byrkit Made 'Coherence' in 5 Days with No Script or Budget

SuperJim88 01-28-15 03:53 PM

This film is the one of my many reasons for not been able to understand how Boyhood got Oscar best pic nom. Coherence was a much better film and shot with even smaller production budget. Kudos to Byrkit, this was hell of a film. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Solid Snake 01-28-15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas (Post 12379128)
Watched this last night after discovering it on Amazon Prime. I remember the film generated some buzz upon release but really had no idea what the plot was about. What a total mindfuck. Well acted, and pretty unnerving at times.

Very disappointed that there is no Blu-Ray release in the UK, only Denmark it seems. Looks like i'll need to import this for the collection.

It's on Amazon Instant? Score!

RichC2 01-28-15 05:07 PM

It's weird that in the age of super high budget flicks, this and Chef were two of my favorite movies of last year (thinking back, Interstellar is the only big budget movie that left a lasting impact on me).

Rival11 04-29-15 03:25 PM

This was a great film. I even hate the type of characters that were in it - goes to show you how a film as a whole, if effective, can even make things you hate about it seem not so bad.

Yeah there were a few cliches and "all too convenient" plot elements but they never detract from the experience at all.

I got creeped out when
Spoiler:
The Blonde chick saw muliples of the same dude tied to chairs in the one reality

At first I thought they were reaching too far as well with
Spoiler:
The blonde murdering herself
but all you have to do is simply think back to the type of person she is and it's not so much of a stretch at all.

Also loved the passkey sequences.

This one is MUCH better than Primer (still don't know what the hell was going on in that flick), triangle, etc...

Ha, I keep thinking about this flick - may have to by this one if it's on blu.

RichC2 04-29-15 03:30 PM

The director's next project is writing the script for... the Fraggle Rock movie :lol: (He worked on Rango before this).

HN 04-29-15 03:32 PM

this and Predestination would make a fun double feature

Rival11 04-29-15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by HN (Post 12467271)
this and Predestination would make a fun double feature

While I liked predestination...It was just over-doing things.

Fraggle Rock is up next huh? Ha, yeah that's a big change.