Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Theory of Everything (2014) -- S: Felicity Jones, Eddie Redmayne, David Thewlis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Theory of Everything (2014) -- S: Felicity Jones, Eddie Redmayne, David Thewlis

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/x8QYUgO-tZo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

November 11, 2014
Starring Eddie Redmayne (“Les Misérables”) and Felicity Jones (“The Amazing Spider-Man 2”), this is the extraordinary story of one of the world’s greatest living minds, the renowned astrophysicist Stephen Hawking, who falls deeply in love with fellow Cambridge student Jane Wilde. Once a healthy, active young man, Hawking received an earth-shattering diagnosis at 21 years of age. With Jane fighting tirelessly by his side, Stephen embarks on his most ambitious scientific work, studying the very thing he now has precious little of – time. Together, they defy impossible odds, breaking new ground in medicine and science, and achieving more than they could ever have dreamed. The film is based on the memoir Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen, by Jane Hawking, and is directed by Academy Award winner James Marsh (“Man on Wire”).
I find anything that has to do with Hawking, excitable and informative.
I'm really glad to see a movie about the man himself and his story.
Old 11-11-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: The Theory of Everything (2014) -- S: Felicity Jones, Eddie Redmayne, David Thewl

Saw this at a sneak last night. Not a bad film, but from what I gather, it's a pretty whitewashed bio of a complicated dude, especially toward the end. One of those "mythmaker" types of films. Great performances, though, all around. The movie focuses more on him and the family coping with the disease than on his accomplishments, and I found myself wishing that we got more science to balance that out. Even just a montage or two. I gave it a B, leaning toward B-.
Old 12-07-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: The Theory of Everything (2014) -- S: Felicity Jones, Eddie Redmayne, David Thewl

Saw this today. Strongest acting from two leads I've seen in a movie all year. Both Redmayne and Jones are great talents, who deserve any accolades they get, especially Redmayne. Jones is quite gorgeous in this movie, and has some serious acting chops on her. I think it's a shame that all she really has in American productions is a throwaway cameo as potential comic book character.
Old 12-31-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought it was a solid film, even if it did feel too "clean" in how these characters were depicted, as I can't imagine having to live through Stephen's debilitating medical condition as being all sweetness and light. There had to be plenty of dark days, but the script is fairly upbeat in handling how Stephen and Jane met in college, and then his world-shattering diagnosis, and the ups and downs of their marriage in spite of his condition, which provided the framework where he would produce his most well-known contribution to physics.

I'm not a big fan of Eddie Redmayne, but he did a fine job in the role as Stephen, uncannily channeling all the mannerisms and infectious smile through his face, quite an acting challenge. Felicity Jones as Jane was a luminous revelation, more than up to the task of portraying Jane along side Redmayne's Stephen.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 02-22-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It was a decent flick, however...
Spoiler:
I felt that Hawking was a real scum-bag for leaving his wife and champion for the red-head with big cans. If there was ever a situation where the man should be worshiping the ground that his wife walks on, this was it. I remarked to my wife that even in his "compromised" and dependent condition, he still felt that there were greener pastures elsewhere. Unbelievable!
Old 02-23-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
It was a decent flick, however...
Spoiler:
I felt that Hawking was a real scum-bag for leaving his wife and champion for the red-head with big cans. If there was ever a situation where the man should be worshiping the ground that his wife walks on, this was it. I remarked to my wife that even in his "compromised" and dependent condition, he still felt that there were greener pastures elsewhere. Unbelievable!

Could it be that
Spoiler:
He felt he had been enough of a burden on her, could sense she had enough, and decided to walk out once he had an opportunity?
Old 02-23-15, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Could it be that
Spoiler:
He felt he had been enough of a burden on her, could sense she had enough, and decided to walk out once he had an opportunity?
I agree with this view too. Remember he and Jane had that conversation about how long he was expected to live, and how long he's been a burden for her instead. He wanted to give her a chance with her own life.
Old 09-20-15, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more posts, especially for a film that was up for best picture and won best actor.

We watched this as well as The Imitation Game recently. Both ended up being pretty dower tales, and at least Imitation had some upbeat "win" moments. This on the other hand was difficult for ,out of the time. I do think the direction, acting and cinematography was better here. The pacing could have been improved during the second half, and as Funkdaddy said, I'd have liked some more insight into his work and accomplishments. I think it quoted to a chalkboard montage and a revelation with the sweater tucked over his head.

Also, the wife looked up some details after and this is quite whitewashed.
Spoiler:
His wife comes off as the bad one eventually leaving him, but apparently he left her for the nurse. Makes no sense.