Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 03-21-23, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I always get annoyed by this misleading statement.

Maybe Johnson mistook the online conversation about Cavill’s run as Kal-El for real-world interest, or he didn’t realize that online discourse about Zack Snyder’s first three DC films was partially a bot-driven vocal minority. Perhaps he didn’t care.
Yes, 13% of the accounts were bots. That means 87% were real. And the success of ZSJL is hard to gauge since it was initially an HBO Max exclusive (although it ended up on Netflix in other countries, becoming their #2 streamed movie for a while). Had it gotten a theatrical run or maybe been a VOD type release, it might have done better. (Although it did do well on physical media and subsequent digital sales.). That's the same type of scenario that ended up making The Suicide Squad, despite at least getting a theatrical release, into a box office disappointment. I get that, due to multiple factors, the DCEU is dead but pretending the audience numbers were vastly inflated is a lie. They had an audience, but not to the scale of Marvel. And unless they put in the work (and I hope the bosses let Gunn and Saddam do exactly that), they'll never get there. Of course, that's also assuming audience/franchise fatigue hasn't already set in by the time they get all the pieces in place.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-22-23 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-21-23, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Snyder Cut in theaters? Never mind the 4 hour runtime, I wasn't down for 4:3 at home, seeing that at theaters would look ridiculous. Snyder cut off his own kneecaps on this one.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

The fact is it’s just time to let the Snyderverse/DCEU die. People need to quit clinging to it like it’s still a thing. Not counting Zack Snyder’s Justice League that universe has essentially been dead for like six years at this point.

The movies didn’t do that well either critically or at the box office to continue forward and the DCEU was a disjointed mess. It’s taken a long time for DC to recover and they’re only starting down that road with the DCU. Time to look forward, not backwards.
IBJoel (03-29-23)
Old 03-21-23, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yes...BOTH SIDES of DC Fandom need to let it go. let's move forward and give the DCU a chance. 👍🏿

DC Fandom has become this tit for tat back and forth shit hole with factions blaming each other for DC film failures.
Old 03-21-23, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Snyder Cut in theaters? Never mind the 4 hour runtime, I wasn't down for 4:3 at home, seeing that at theaters would look ridiculous. Snyder cut off his own kneecaps on this one.
You do realize it was originally conceived as two movies, right? Heck, add end credits to disc one and a recap with opening credits to disc two, and you have Justice League and Justice League II. The 4:3 aspect ratio was simply Snyder assuming it would never get an IMAX release so he showed it how he shot it. Heck, the epic runtime was the result of this being the only chance anything that was originally intended being seen.

Originally Posted by Mike86
The fact is it’s just time to let the Snyderverse/DCEU die. People need to quit clinging to it like it’s still a thing. Not counting Zack Snyder’s Justice League that universe has essentially been dead for like six years at this point.

The movies didn’t do that well either critically or at the box office to continue forward and the DCEU was a disjointed mess. It’s taken a long time for DC to recover and they’re only starting down that road with the DCU. Time to look forward, not backwards.
I do agree with this. However, if it was me, I would have done a 100% restart. Rather than keeping some actors and dropping others. And I wouldn't have announced my plans before the current slate was released.

​​​​
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yes...BOTH SIDES of DC Fandom need to let it go. let's move forward and give the DCU a chance. 👍🏿

DC Fandom has become this tit for tat back and forth shit hole with factions blaming each other for DC film failures.
This I agree with. It's just that "vocal minority" BS that irks me. There was and still is an audience for DC (be it DCEU, DCU, or what is now categorized as Elseworlds), but it's currently not at the level of mainstream appeal as Marvel. And if those in charge don't see that, expecting $1 billion every time right from the start, us DC fans will be in the same boat as with the DCEU.

​​​​​​​So, yeah, I hope Gunn succeeds. But I am also fearful of the same song playing all over again.
Old 03-22-23, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
After this and the F&F debacle, is anyone going to want to hire him to star in anything again?
Considering he's been the lead in films that have brought in over 5 billion dollars, I don't think he's going to have a problem getting roles.
Old 03-22-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I don't blame Johnson for the F&F stuff. From most everything I have ever read is that Vin Diesel is a entitled selfish prick. Seems like someone was finally a big enough star to push back against him.
Old 03-22-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't blame Johnson for the F&F stuff. From most everything I have ever read is that Vin Diesel is an entitled selfish prick. Seems like someone was finally a big enough star to push back against him.
He probably is, but at least the same people work with him again and again.
Old 03-22-23, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
He probably is, but at least the same people work with him again and again.
well sure. If you are on his good side and he keeps giving you work, why wouldn't you just keep your mouth shut. A paycheck is a paycheck!
Old 03-24-23, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

The 3-day Snyder Con even which includes ZSJL are sold out:

https://supporting.afsp.org/index.cf...t&eventID=9480
Old 03-24-23, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

I was about to comment about the type of people who would pay $150 to see fucking BvS but then I saw all proceeds go to suicide prevention charities. Spend away, Snyder freaks!
Draven (03-29-23)
Old 03-25-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The 3-day Snyder Con even which includes ZSJL are sold out:

https://supporting.afsp.org/index.cf...t&eventID=9480
Well that was fast. I wonder if BVS was also to include the IMAX footage, but I guess only ZSJL is getting the IMAX treatment.

Since Snyder mentioned WB was on board with this and even thanked them, wonder if they took it a step forward and this time allowed him to use the Green Lantern ending.

Oh and I saw it mentioned that the Universal logo on the SnyderVerse Trilogy poster (with the broken Superman statue pieced together) is because the IMAX theater being used belongs to Universal. But of course some folk immediately started claiming the logo means Universal purchased the SnyderVerse.
Old 03-29-23, 04:09 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Doctor Sleep filmmaker Mike Flanagan has pitched a feature version of Clayface over at the studio several sources tell Deadline, however, no word on greenlight yet — and the studio has not said ‘No’. There are no offers and no deals. Though typically a DC supervillain, in the Flanagan pic, should it move forward, he wouldn’t be a bad guy (so we hear).

Word is that Flanagan and his Intrepid Pictures partner Trevor Macy had a meeting with DC Bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran. Flangan, we understand, wasn’t pitching the character to be part of Matt Reeves’ DC elseworld, The Batman 2 set for an Oct. 3, 2025 release date.

That said, other sources are telling us that scripts are constantly changing, and that Clayface is a big addition to Matt Reeves’ The Batman 2. Let’s wait until the dust settles here and something moves forward. It remains to be seen whether Clayface is a connection between The Batman 2 elseworld and Gunn and Safran’s feature and series sprawling DC’s Gods and Monsters – Chapter One.

But Clayface got his DC introduction as part of Detective Comics #40 in June of 1940. While there would eventually be a number of shape-shifting DC antagonists using that alias, the original Clayface was a moderately successful actor who adopted the identity of a character he’d portrayed in a horror pic after turning to crime. He’s a frequent adversary of Batman with a body seemingly made out of clay who has appeared over the years in numerous films, television series, animated works, video games and other forms of media, being portrayed on the series Gotham (The CW) and Pennyworth (Epix/HBO Max) by Brian McManamon and Lorraine Burroughs, respectively. The rationale behind Clayface’s appearance emerged in comics of the 1970s, which evolved the character into a scientist with hormone irregularities.

Flanagan has been very vocal in the past about his interest in making a Clayface film, stating in one 2021 tweet that he’d approach it as a “standalone….horror/thriller/tragedy.” (He also noted there that he’s long wanted to put his stamp on Superman, though new DC chief James Gunn is currently gearing up to do that himself, directing Superman: Legacy from his own script, as the first film in the inaugural phase of his new DC.)

Flanagan revealed in a recent installment of the Script Apart podcast that he expressed interest in a “horror-leaning” take on the character during a recent general meeting with veteran DC produce Jon Berg, also pitching takes on such characters and properties as Scarecrow, Justice League Dark and Constantine. The filmmaker added at the time that the meeting “kind of went nowhere.”

Best known for popular Netflix horror series including The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor and Midnight Mass, as well as his feature adaptation of Stephen King’s The Shining follow-up Doctor Sleep, Flanagan is also currently developing a series adaptation of King’s The Dark Tower alongside Trevor Macy, as we were first to tell you in December. He is repped by WME, Novo Entertainment and VanderKloot Law.
https://deadline.com/2023/03/clayfac...os-1235312906/

Last edited by dex14; 03-29-23 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Never cared for Clayface so I hope he isn't in The Batman 2.
Old 03-29-23, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Because DC turning a villain into a hero worked so well with Black Adam.
Old 03-29-23, 05:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Flanagan expressed interest two years ago as well...

Old 03-29-23, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I think Clayface only works in animation or in the comics. The only reason something like King Shark worked in The Suicide Squad is because they leaned in to how stupid he is.
Old 03-29-23, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clayface is one of my favorite Batman Rogues. Always thought he’s kind of underrated and have wanted to see him in a film. However, I’m not sure how I feel about him in The Batman Part II.

Clayface should be a fantastical type character. You can go with the route of him being an actor who becomes disfigured but I think a lot of his potential will be wasted by being in a more grounded universe.
Old 03-29-23, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

A Mudpack film could be
Old 03-29-23, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Maybe they're pushing Clayface because they think he can be the DC version of Venom...
Old 03-30-23, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

It seems Gunn has his eyes on a Terrifics film for DC. Which makes sense, the recent comic book incarnation was tailor-made for the screen with his rag-tag Suicide Squad sensibility a close comp. I just hope DC isn't expecting these type of films (Clayface, Terrifics, etc) as anything but secondary lineup fillers.
Old 03-30-23, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like some people are forgetting that the Reeves/Pattinson films are considered Elseworlds and not in the main DCU continuity.

I don’t expect characters from the Reeves/Pattinson films to crossover into the rest of the DCU. If Clayface is indeed the villain for The Batman Part II he would exist in that world only, not in potential spin-off films
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
Giantrobo (03-30-23), majorjoe23 (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope the Terrifics fit in the mainline DCU. It's great we'll be getting Mr. Terrific on the big screen, but rather surreal that Plastic Man will finally make his big screen debut. Remember when a young Tom Hanks was up for the role?
Old 03-30-23, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I hope the Terrifics fit in the mainline DCU. It's great we'll be getting Mr. Terrific on the big screen, but rather surreal that Plastic Man will finally make his big screen debut. Remember when a young Tom Hanks was up for the role?
Now even his son is probably too old...
Old 03-30-23, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Now even his son is probably too old...
I could actually see Chet Hanks in that role.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.