Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Deftones
On one hand, to a more cohesive universe
On the other hand, to the starting point for this
However, I will say I have the utmost faith in Gunn to pull this off.
Originally Posted by dex14
I agree. I was a bit underwhelmed... but reserve judgement until seeing anything.
Actually hearing Gunn talk about it makes me far more hopeful than when I read the same news. That said, I wish a big event film had been used to set all this up. The Flash seems like a small film that's loosely inspired by Flashpoint. The DC equivalent of Captain America: Civil War or Avengers: Infinity War would have been a better segue from the DCEU to the DCU. Nothing that's been revealed about The Flash makes it seem like it fits the bill. I hope I'm wrong, however.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-31-23 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-31-23, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

All sounds decent to me other than the choice to skip Dick Grayson as Robin. I can't say I'm steeped enough in Batman lore to know anything about Damian Wayne. If they're jumping that far in the timeline though, that gives us Grayson as Nightwing which is a possibility since Gunn has said in tweets that Young Justice is potentially in play where Grayson might fit better.

Most exciting thing, which will come as no surprise to anyone that's read my posts, is the potential for keeping Gadot, Levi and Momoa in their respective roles. The Flash movie gives them a way to do that and get away with it. My order of preference in keeping those actors are in that order as well.

Of course that could all be playing nice without pissing off too many fans at the same time since Cavill fans are still sensitive.

Most shocking of that entire article? Gunn's praise of the Flash movie. Can it be that good? My interest is piqued now.
Old 01-31-23, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
All sounds decent to me other than the choice to skip Dick Grayson as Robin. I can't say I'm steeped enough in Batman lore to know anything about Damian Wayne. If they're jumping that far in the timeline though, that gives us Grayson as Nightwing which is a possibility since Gunn has said in tweets that Young Justice is potentially in play where Grayson might fit better.
Damian as Robin does not preclude Dick Grayson in the new DCEU, probably already established as a former Robin who became his own hero.

Dick Grayson is my second favorite comic book character (after Kal-El) and I've always wanted to see a good portrayal of Grayson in live action movies (Titans has its ups and downs as a TV show, but it does feature a great Dick Grayson portrayal). They could still do a Titans/Young Justice movie with flashbacks featuring the original Boy Wonder in his younger garb (along with Wonder Girl, Speedy, Kid Flash, etc.)

Old 01-31-23, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

It is kind of weird when you think about it though. They’re saying that the characters are supposed to be younger in the DCU, but then Bruce has Damian at this point. In the comics when Damian is introduced he’s ten so he’ll be at least that old if not aged up a bit.

So that realistically should make Bruce at least in his late thirties or possibly even forties. Also if you consider he’s probably been Batman since he was in his twenties and presumably worked with a couple other sidekicks.

I’m just not sure why there’s a need to jump ahead. Starting with Dick as Robin would make a bit more sense in terms of a younger Bruce/Batman because then it would be plausible that he’s been working for a couple of years already and takes Dick on as his first Robin, and it wouldn’t tie in that it’s his kid right away.

Old 02-01-23, 02:54 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Reminds me of Snyder's approach, where the first reference to any Robin is the defiled uniform staged as a memorial in the Batcave. He jumped past Robin 1 and Robin 2 and Robin 3 all the way to "Robin's fucking murdered, OK?"
Old 02-02-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I wonder if Gunn himself writing so much of this new DC stuff on his own is gonna bite him in the end. He is gonna be spread thin over the next few years.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-02-23 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-02-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I wonder if Gunn himself writing so much of this new DC stuff on his own is gonna bite him in the end. He is gonna be spread thing over the next few years.
I’m sure he and Safran are listening to pitches from various writers who could take on these projects. He’ll hire the right people and not take it upon himself. If anything this is going to be a long process.
Old 02-02-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
I’m sure he and Safran are listening to pitches from various writers who could take on these projects. He’ll hire the right people and not take it upon himself. If anything this is going to be a long process.

Yeah one hopes so. But he has said he is writing and has written stuff already. And he may be directing some stuff? I'm supportive of the Gunn/Safran Mission here but I hope he doesn't pulling a Greg Berllanti here where where everything ends up with similar themes but not in a good way.
Old 02-02-23, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Gunn wrote Peacemaker by himself in a short period of time.
I guess he will write the first slate of projects, mainly by himself too. This way he can set a tone for the new DCU.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (02-02-23)
Old 02-02-23, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Runaway
Gunn wrote Peacemaker by himself in a short period of time.
I guess he will write the first slate of projects, mainly by himself too. This way he can set a tone for the new DCU.

That could make sense. And I'm not worried about him writing stuff as much, just him trying to write TOO MUCH stuff for the whole DCU plus Direct some projects..
Old 02-02-23, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

If James Mangold is in talks to direct Swamp Thing as reports say and the fact that Mangold teased it on social media, I think there is already a pitch/outline from Mangold ready. You have to remember, everything that gets reported in the press is always weeks/months behind. Mangold could have already delivered something to them.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-02-23 at 03:39 PM.
Giantrobo (02-02-23)
Old 02-02-23, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If James Mangold is in talks to direct Swamp Thing as reports say and the fact that Mangold teased it on social media, I think there is already a pitch/outline from Mangold ready. You have to remember, everything that gets reported in the press is always weeks/months behind. Mangold could have already delivered something to them.
If the multiple rumors about Indiana Jones 5 are even remotely true, he may want to lie low for a good long time.
Old 02-02-23, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel like a Mangold Swamp Thing could be cool. Definitely interested if that pans out.
Old 02-02-23, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If the multiple rumors about Indiana Jones 5 are even remotely true, he may want to lie low for a good long time.
Well, it's not going to happen for probably at least 2-3 years. There's no script and his next film is a Bob Dylan biopic.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/james-m...dc-1235246621/
Old 02-02-23, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

The disparity in age between the new Batman and Superman is just perplexing. Why not have everyone around 30, with some history already but still early enough on. (the first Batman film could've been meeting Robin, etc) And if they're keeping as many as half of the core group, it makes even less sense not to keep Cavill. He'll be 40 soon, but he still looks good and I'm sure could still play the role another decade.
Old 02-02-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman
The disparity in age between the new Batman and Superman is just perplexing. Why not have everyone around 30, with some history already but still early enough on. (the first Batman film could've been meeting Robin, etc) And if they're keeping as many as half of the core group, it makes even less sense not to keep Cavill. He'll be 40 soon, but he still looks good and I'm sure could still play the role another decade.
I agree but Gunn claims Cavill doesn't fit the Superman Gunn is writing.
Old 02-02-23, 10:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Just doing some math here since everyone is saying Batman will be 40. The kid is 10. Let's say he does his league of shadows training from 16-18, after bailing on rich kid boarding school or whatever. Then returns to Gotham and starts being Batman. Talia shows up and they hook up when he is 20 or 22 or whatever. 2-4 years of Batman-ing before that goes down. Damien could be 10 by the time he is 31 / 32 / 33. Getting hung upon details we don't even know yet.

He could get Talia pregnant during that 16-18 year old period where he's training and he finds out about him in his late 20s. It could literally be anything. So let's not get hung up on imaginary details we just create out of thin air?

And maybe he does end up being 40 but they planned the arc where they end up telling a Batman Beyond thing with them. We just don't know yet. It's just too early for all the rage is my main thought. Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.
Runaway (02-03-23)
Old 02-20-23, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So regarding the whole 25-year-old Superman thing, Gunn was gone on record that

Anyone else have the sneaky feeling Cavill and Affleck are still in, this talk of recasting is just a publicity stunt, and Gunn will later announce he's "chosen to listen to the fans"?
Old 02-20-23, 08:46 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Nope.
The following 4 users liked this post by dex14:
Giantrobo (02-21-23), majorjoe23 (02-20-23), Michael Corvin (02-20-23), TheMovieman (02-20-23)
Old 02-20-23, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

No, Cavill is out for good. Maybe in ten years they can do a Kingdom Come movie with Cavill.
Old 02-21-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Latest test screenings for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom are reportedly very negative. Apparently it's the worst DCEU movie. And it seems it's been that way through all versions, so far.

Old 02-21-23, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

The article I read basically said people were walking out... of test screenings, which I've never actually heard of before.
Old 02-21-23, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
The article I read basically said people were walking out... of test screenings, which I've never actually heard of before.
Neither have I, but surely it must have happened before. This is probably the first time we're hearing about it.
Old 02-21-23, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What’s weird to me is that Aquaman was fairly well received. Surprised a sequel would be that much of a step down.
Old 02-21-23, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
What’s weird to me is that Aquaman was fairly well received. Surprised a sequel would be that much of a step down.
Just replace Aquaman in your sentence with Wonder Woman, and you've got a pattern.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.