Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-12-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

This was posted by Nikki Fink, so take it for what it's worth:

We know that Warner Bros Pictures is way behind Marvel Studios when it comes to making movies out of its comic book properties. But I have intel on what is coming up at this July’s Comic-Con from the studio. A lot of stuff remains in flux but my sources have so far:

May 2016 – Batman v Superman
July 2016 – Shazam
Xmas 2016 – Sandman
May 2017 – Justice League
July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

There had been talk of a Metal Men and Suicide Squad movie for sometime in 2016 but that project fell off the schedule.

Meanwhile, if you were wondering why Batman v Superman was delayed, it wasn’t the script or Ben Affleck or Jesse Eisenberg but with the fact that this pic will act as a launching pad for the Justice League. According to my source, “Like Marvel’s The Avengers, there will be cameos of superheroes for future installments. The cameos will include the already known Cyborg and Flash. Green Lantern [not played by Ryan Reynolds, thank god] may be introduced. And Aquaman will be seen in the Justice League movie. Problem is, Warner Bros Pictures was still negotiating with the actors for those cameos and future roles, meaning major contracts for multiple JL/character films to follow. The studio didn’t want to move forward until they had more of this secure so they held off starting production for a few months. Seemingly simple reason, but the implications are pretty darn huge.”
http://nikkifinke.com/comic-con/
Old 06-12-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Future Warner/DC Comics Movies?

They've been trying to make a Captain Marvel (called Shazam! since Marvel Comics owns the trademark) movie for decades. I will believe it when I see it.
Old 06-12-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They've been trying to make a Captain Marvel (called Shazam! since Marvel Comics owns the trademark) movie for decades. I will believe it when I see it.
Well, some months back The Rock had posted about playing a DC character who had not been done in live action before (or something along those lines) and speculation is it's Shazam.
Old 06-12-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I somehow have a hard time believing that article. DC is going from hardly making any films aside from Batman or Superman ones to suddenly churning out seven films over the course of three years? Just seems like a stretch to me, but I guess we'll see. Aside from the ones we know are happening and possibly Man of Steel 2 I'll believe the rest of those when I see them.
Old 06-12-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cavill is a very good Superman.
Old 06-12-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Yeah, hard to believe Shazam is a good candidate but we'll see.

I'd imagine any greenlight for Suicide Squad would depend highly on what happens with Guardians of the Galaxy, another team unknown to normal people.
Old 06-12-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I would LOVE to see a Shazam movie...if it was done in the spirit of the first 40 years of the character- i.e. whimsical and slightly irreverent.

If it's just another stupid, angry power fantasy with the lead in a different costume, no thanks.

I wasn't a fan of this conception of Superman- but Cavill had potential. I would have liked to have seen them try to right that ship, and address some of MOS's problems, rather than simply obfuscate them by throwing a bunch of more colorful shit at the screen.
Old 06-12-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

IF that schedule is true, and I'm not buying it yet... I'm looking forward to a Shazam film.
IF they do make a Sandman film Death better be in it and she better be cute.

I'm also liking the GL/Flash team up idea.
Old 06-12-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Well, some months back The Rock had posted about playing a DC character who had not been done in live action before (or something along those lines) and speculation is it's Shazam.
That would be great news. Captain Marvel has been in live action before. One of the best serials ever done.
Old 06-12-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 511 Likes on 321 Posts

Sandman could be amazing but will probably end up being as crappy as the Nolan DK trilogy, Man Of Steel and Green Lantern.

Probably end up having someone like Channing Tatum be Morpheus.
Old 06-12-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Wasn't the talk that Joseph Gordon Levitt would direct/star in Sandman?
Old 06-12-14, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Sandman could be amazing but will probably end up being as crappy as the Nolan DK trilogy, Man Of Steel and Green Lantern.
Now i agree with the others but Man of Steel was leaps ahead of Singerman Lifts, that by in itself is a success (a pyrrhic victory though).
Old 06-12-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvn1974

Probably end up having someone like Channing Tatum be Morpheus.
If you did not like the DK Trilogy (at least the first 2 movies, I can understand some of the issues with the last one...though I liked it), then nothing from DC will make you like the movies.

MoS was very good, watched it the other night again and loved it even more.

GL, every time I think of the movie I say "I could have been SO much better if they had gotten rid of that dumb cloud and started off with Sinestro, GL's best villain ever."
-It was fun to see one of my fav (since 1975) Supers on the big screen, but it should have been a Homer Run instead of a bunt single.
Old 06-12-14, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I would LOVE to see a Shazam movie...if it was done in the spirit of the first 40 years of the character- i.e. whimsical and slightly irreverent.
Hate to tell you this, but there's a 99.9999% chance it will be like New 52 Shazam and a 0.0001% chance it will be like 1960s Shazam. That Shazam is as dead and gone as Adam West Batman.

Three DCCU movies per year seems too good to be true, especially since Disney is only doing two MCU movies per year.

If Flash is in this, and according to this leak he is, I wonder if it will be the same actor/character as the upcoming CW show or if they will recast him (kinda like how Quicksilver is a different actor/character in the MCU and DOFP).
Old 06-12-14, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that's a whole different thing.

The quicksilver thing is a rights issue.

If they recast The Flash and Arrow it'd be an issue of the two mediums.

Though neither are actual issues.
Old 06-12-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Aquaman is pretty pissed that Shazam and Sandman get a movie and he doesn't.
Old 06-12-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
That would be great news. Captain Marvel has been in live action before. One of the best serials ever done.
Old 06-12-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

If it's just another stupid, angry power fantasy with the lead in a different costume, no thanks.
Sad to say, DC has shelved that version of the character, likely permanently. If modern audiences had a problem with Superman's classic personality, they would utterly yawn at Captain Marvel's persona.
Old 06-12-14, 10:38 PM
Banned

Sad to say, DC has shelved that version of the character, likely permanently. If modern audiences had a problem with Superman's classic personality, they would utterly yawn at Captain Marvel's persona.
By Superman's "classic" personality, you mean his original Golden Age roots, right? Not the later Silver Age/Donner movies, right? I mean, "classic" should be the original comics... not the stuff we grew up with and look back on with rose-colored nostalgia glasses...

The Man of Steel movie isn't that different from the original Golden Age comics. Heck, Grant Morrison's reinvention of Superman in the New 52 is almost exactly like Golden Age Superman.
Old 06-12-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I didn't honestly expect anything different from the current status quo.
I fully anticipate a childish film made for 35+ yr old males that take themselves way too seriously...just like the comic books the films are now mining.

I think it's not only a shame, but a huge missed opportunity that DC continues to "fight the last war" instead of having the balls to go off on a fresher tangent and become the pioneer that everyone else wants to copy.
A Golden Age style Shazam (with villains like Mister Mind) could go after Disney's under 10 demo (probably more like under 8 now), and wouldn't really be competing much with Marvel at all. And just like any GOOD children's movie, being accessible and amusing to 8 year olds doesn't mean it has to be 'stupid' or painful to watch for an adult.

True whimsy in fantasy films now is as hard to find as orchids growing at the south pole.
Old 06-12-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

True whimsy in fantasy films now is as hard to find as orchids growing at the south pole.
This is begging to be turned into a haiku.
Old 06-12-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 06-13-14, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 511 Likes on 321 Posts

I don't read comic books, hell I don't even like comic books except for the Sandman. I am still hoping that a film can be great. If David S. Goyer is mentioned anywhere I won't bother. In fact he shouldn't even be allowed to watch the film once it is finished.
Old 06-13-14, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, fuck David Goyer. WB needs to stop involving him and Geoff Johns in all their franchises. Unless it's Green Lantern or Barry Allen (note, keep him away from Wally West) I don't want to see Johns on the property.

I wish DC was fun again. Kyle Baker could make a hell of an animated Plastic Man movie if they just gave him a chance. That was fun. But DC has no room for fun. Just gloom.

And I really want to see a good Mary Marvel.
Old 06-13-14, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Johns hasn't been involved in most of the DC movies, has he?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.