Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 10-15-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Nobody cares about any of these characters besides Batman and Superman

Flops all around

Flash is sorta cool but Ezra Miller? Flop
Old 10-15-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm a bit excited about Aquaman with Jason Momoa and a rebooted Green Lantern. Hopefully by 2020, the stench of the Reynold's version will have dissipated.
Old 10-15-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does this Suicide Squad have H. Quinn?
Old 10-15-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum

Flops all around

I'm not that down on it yet; I think a lot will depend on how Batman v Superman turns out and if it can set the pace for the rest of the DCU; I didn't think Man of Steel was bad, but it wasn't great the way say Iron Man was for Marvel as a launching point.
Old 10-15-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yup WW announced before Marvel announces a female lead.
Aquaman announced and Namor has never been mentioned on the Marvel side.
And I bet Suicide Squad is released before Sinister Six.
Marvel is not going to announce things just to beat WB to the punch. Why should they? They have nothing to prove, they will release when they are ready.
Old 10-15-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Poor DC, always playing catch-up
Old 10-15-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Now that Arrow, The Flash, and to a lesser extent, Gotham, are all on the air as television shows, I really don't care what Warner's theatrical division does with DC's superheroes.
Old 10-15-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I guess that means you won't be posting in these Movie threads then. lol
Old 10-15-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I don't necessarily agree with this. Look at how Marvel turned a bunch of unknown characters into hugely popular films. The problem is with how Warner and DC are approaching their Cinematic Universe. It just seems very thrown together. I know I've hammered home how I feel about that to death in other threads about their upcoming films but I really feel like its true. Plus from the way it sounds most of these films are tentative and only are being made if the other films if the big hitters (Superman V. Batman: Dawn of Justice and probably the Justice League film) do well so it makes it seem like there isn't really a plan in mind but more just some scenarios that could play out depending how things go. It just feels really sloppy and I'm not very impressed especially when we see how well Marvel has done. Maybe its unfair to make comparisons but it really is hard to not do so when the competition has done what Warner/DC is trying to do so well.
Old 10-15-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it except for The Flash, who is the casting director? The guy does not work as The Flash.

Do they have time to change the actor?
Old 10-15-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Now that Arrow, The Flash, and to a lesser extent, Gotham, are all on the air as television shows, I really don't care what Warner's theatrical division does with DC's superheroes.
i care. i want to see more batman and superman movies. we'll never see those characters on tv in the near future.
Old 10-15-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flops all around

Nope:
-Bats/Supes not a Flop
-JL 1 and 2 not a Flop
-Wonder Wonder not a Flop...will do well with men and women
-Shazam, Cyborg ???
-Flash...PLEASE change that actor (wont flop, but no blockbuster)
-GL...bad rap from last movie, has a big hill to climb. JL movies have to re-make him so his solo movie will be a hit.
Old 10-15-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want a Legion of Super Hero movie, come on WB/DC take a chance.
Old 10-15-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Flops all around

Pfft, please. I've been saying for years the DC needs to dig deeper than Batman and Superman. I'm glad they're finally starting to do this.

It is kinda DC's job to make people care and if they do things right people WILL care. Like others have said, Marvel made people care about Guardians of the Galaxy.
Old 10-15-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

to each their own...

But I want DC firing on ALL Media Cylinders.
Old 10-15-14, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
to each their own...

But I want DC firing on ALL Media Cylinders.
This. How anyone could not want an awesome DC Cinematic Universe is just too bizarre to believe.

I do hope Wally West is the Flash in the movie. I really don't want two Barry Allens. Let Barry have TV and Wally have the movies.
Old 10-15-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

According to THR:
Sources also say he [Ryan Gosling] is being courted to star in Suicide Squad, David Ayer's take on the DC Comics supervillain team at Warner Bros.

Ayer's Suicide Squad is still in early development and the script is being worked on. But that is not stopping the filmmaker and the studio from making overtures for what is to be an A-list ensemble piece filled with colorful anti-heroes. Sources say that Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Tom Hardy also are fielding offers. Warners had no comment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-doctor-740806
Old 10-15-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
This. How anyone could not want an awesome DC Cinematic Universe is just too bizarre to believe.
I'll bite. While I wouldn't say an awesome DC cinematic universe wouldn't be awesome (if it was in fact awesome), I'd rather see great movies. Marvel's got the whole homogenized universe thing figured out, but the movies are all starting to run together. It's less about making a great film than it is about extending the story to the next installment. They really are the cinematic equivalent of comic books in that sense. I love 'em, but at this point we know exactly what they are.

I'd rather see DC take some chances with their properties. Hand their projects off to visionary directors. Focus on making ONE great movie. Take Darren Aronofsky for example. We've now come close to seeing two different comic book films from him. First he was attached to Batman: Year One, then he was supposed to do The Wolverine. He obviously has at least a cursory interest in superheroes. Give him another shot at Batman or give him something more obscure like, I don't know, Martian Manhunter. Let him go to town. Don't worry about making it conform to some sort of preexisting universe. Just let him make a great film. When it's over, move onto the next project and focus on making another great film. Maybe it's a Booster Gold/Blue Beetle buddy comedy or a family film starring Captain Marvel. Maybe it's even an Indiana Jones-esque period adventure with the Hawks. Who cares. Just do something new and different.
Old 10-15-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I think Marvel's "continuity" between films is wildly overrated, it is all held together by one or two key characters across the films. People seem to go wild if they throw in a 30-second, post-credits teaser, but they are generally less sophisticated than I like my movies. I don't want that happening to a series of DC films, which I suspect is what will happen. I'm just hoping that Batman and Superman work out together in Man of Steel 2.

Going off Google Images, that actor looks nothing like any Flash I've ever seen drawn, unless they plan to make a Goth version of Bart Allen as the primary choice.
Old 10-15-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A shared universe seems to have it's pros and cons; on one hand it feels like movies need to fit a certain tone so that audiences will buy that these characters all live in the same universe, but doing so could limit or restrict some of the more far out characters from fitting in. Personally, I've absolutely adored what Marvel has done so far and for me as a casual comic reader since I was young it's just about perfect. I think DC following that trend is a good thing (if they can actually do it right), especially after we just got a Batman where it was harder to buy a character like Superman swooping in at any time during the Dark Knight trilogy.

I guess the thing these days is to complain about Marvel being boring and stale, but with the last couple movies and the slate they have planned, I don't get that at all.

As for Flash, I googled Ezra Miller and now remember him from Perks of Being a Wallflower. Not a bad actor, but yeah... not right for Flash at all. Ugh.
Old 10-15-14, 08:37 PM
Banned

I initially didn't think the actor they got for the TV show would be a good Flash, and he has turned out to be quite good.

I don't get the complaints about the MCU either. Sure, they're not all excellent, but none of them are outright bad. They're all at least entertaining popcorn flicks. What else do you expect from a COMIC BOOK movie? Quality on par with The Godfather? That's ridiculous. Movies can't all be like that. There's nothing wrong with popcorn flicks.
Old 10-16-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I don't get the complaints about the MCU either. Sure, they're not all excellent, but none of them are outright bad. They're all at least entertaining popcorn flicks. What else do you expect from a COMIC BOOK movie? Quality on par with The Godfather? That's ridiculous. Movies can't all be like that. There's nothing wrong with popcorn flicks.
This has nothing to do with popcorn flicks vs. prestige films or whatever. Like I said, I've enjoyed all of the MCU movies to varying degrees. Nobody said they have to be the Godfather (although the Godfather is pretty much a popcorn movie). My point is that after 9 or 10 MCU movies we know exactly what they are. Are they fun? Absolutely. Am I pumped for Avengers 2? I think so. Do I want to keep watching variations of the same theme over and over again for the next decade or two? I'm not so sure about that.

I think that in order to make a really great film, there needs to be a certain amount of creative freedom. At some point you need the movie equivalent of someone like a Grant Morrison or a Frank Miller to come in and blow-up the status quo. That's what was so disappointing about what happened with Ant Man. Will the movie we end up getting be good? Probably. Would I have rather seen Edgar Wright put his own spin on the genre? 100% yes. The last thing I want to see is DC/WB doing a sub-par imitation of the MCU. As much as I like comic books and comic book movies, between Marvel and DC how many are scheduled for the next 5 years? 20? I get the appeal. I'm a comic geek, but I'm also a movie fan. I'm at the point where I just want something new.
Old 10-16-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still disagree with that Marvel assessment; I think Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy felt very different from the previous movies, and it seems like Doctor Strange might go a bit differently as well. I'm pretty excited with Marvel's slate because I feel like I don't know what to expect with their upcoming movies.
Old 10-16-14, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I still disagree with that Marvel assessment; I think Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy felt very different from the previous movies, and it seems like Doctor Strange might go a bit differently as well. I'm pretty excited with Marvel's slate because I feel like I don't know what to expect with their upcoming movies.
This.

And I also do NOT want Grant Morrison or Frank Miller writing these movies.

Morrison is the most overrated writer of the last decade. His work just screams, "Hey look at me. I am trying to be intelligent, but I am really just a convoluted mess." It reminds me of Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear video games.

Miller was great in the 70s and 80s, but he hasn't done anything good since. His recent stuff such as All-Star Batman is just completely atrocious. It's not even worth a 0/10. It should get negative points because it is that bad. It reminds me of that scene from Billy Madison, "Everyone in this room is now dumber..."
Old 10-16-14, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the writing. But Jim Lee is always good for his art. That's kind of the "saving grace" for me on that one. Which means... not much really but it's purdy for what the writing needed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.