Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-25-17, 09:01 PM   #401
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Future DC Extended Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Which is why its odd he even agreed to direct Gotham City Sirens. Only reason I can think of is to work with Margot Robbie again.
Old 09-29-17, 12:58 PM   #402

DC Rethinks Its Universe
http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/dc-wo...-universe.html
Old 09-29-17, 01:43 PM   #403
DVD Talk Legend

So basically, it's not really working out so the films going forward will be a universe of sorts but don't necessarily connect. Kind of feels like they're throwing in the towel but whatever. I'd prefer that at this point.
Old 09-29-17, 03:26 PM   #404
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Goddamit Mike! it does sound like the films might actually be better now

Quote:
" Wonder Woman outearned every other movie this summer while scoring a 92 percent on Rotten Tomatoes — higher than nearly every Marvel movie. And one of the keys, as Nelson and her execs saw it, was the fact that it more or less told the viewer to ignore the rest of the universe and just focus on what was in front of them. There was a tiny nod to Batman v Superman, but that was it. “The movie’s not about another movie,” says Johns. “Some of the movies do connect the characters together, like Justice League. But, like with Aquaman” — one of their next efforts, out in 2018 — “our goal is not to connect Aquaman to every movie.” As Nelson puts it, “Moving forward, you’ll see the DC movie universe being a universe, but one that comes from the heart of the filmmaker who’s creating them.”

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "
Old 09-29-17, 03:32 PM   #405
DVD Talk Legend

What can I say, my bitching paid off.
Old 09-29-17, 03:35 PM   #406
DVD Talk Godfather

Whatever, the same folks who complain will still complain.
Old 09-29-17, 05:32 PM   #407
DVD Talk Hero

In order to have a shared universe the movies don't all have to "connect," just take place in a common universe.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-29-17, 05:41 PM   #408
DVD Talk Legend

This is a result of how business is done at WB at the board level. Look back over the last three years and you'll find posts from myself and others saying the same thing. One person, ala Kevin F at Marvel, would not fix this mess because of studio interference.

They just wanted to bank money as quickly as possible, and the easiest way to do that was farm scripts/production out to as many different people as they could. This is why they had so many projects announced/in development and saw such a turnover with directors. It is also why they were quick to throw movies out like BvS and SSquad with next to no prior character development. If you are building a shared universe with a longterm plan, you don't give away three movies with a rushed BvS. It should have been standalone Batman first, BvS, and eventually Death of Superman. Now you have a situation where JL is coming out, and Superman is not appearing in 99% of the promotional material. That is just stupidity.

Basically, this is an admittance that they don't have their house in order enough to be able to create a shared universe. If Aqua-man bombs, which I highly suspect, they will readjust what they are doing once again.
Old 09-29-17, 06:14 PM   #409
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think the forced/rushed shared universe aspect is the primary driving force as to why the movies have sucked though. Man of Steel already started off mediocre and didn't have much or any in terms of bigger world stuff, and Suicide Squad only had the small Batman cameo too.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-30-17, 05:31 PM   #410
DVD Talk Godfather

We've had 7 Batman movies, we did not need a stand alone Batman movie before BvS. Hell, we didn't even need the origin story stuff they rehashed for us anyway.

Death of Superman should have been a separate film though. That was completely shoe-horned in.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 10-01-17, 01:04 PM   #411
DVD Talk Legend

Now Geoff Johns says that the films are all part of the same universe. I don't think anybody at WB/DC is on the same page. There always seems to be conflicting information. One person says something and later someone else clarifies that it's not really the case. Get it together for fuck's sake.

Quote:
Geoff Johns Confirms DC Cinematic Universe Is Still 100% Connected

| October 1, 2017
Fans of the cinematic universe featuring DC Comics superheroes were somewhat rattled by recent comments from DC Films chief Geoff Johns and DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson, when they said next year’s Aquaman wouldn’t connect to every other movie franchise.

But Johns assuaged fans’ fears recently by reiterating that it will still exist in the same universe. Check out his tweet below.

The news start making its way through the internet after Vulture posted an interview with Johns and Nelson where the two spoke about future plans for their line of DC Comics movies, confirming a separate line of Elseworlds-style films.

But while speaking about their main universe, some fans were alarmed by Johns’ comments.

“Some of the movies do connect the characters together, like Justice League,” said Johns. “But, like with Aquaman, our goal is not to connect Aquaman to every movie.”

Johns’ clarification on Twitter indicates that even though Aquaman won’t directly tie into of feed into other films in the universe, it’s still connected in a larger sense.

Nelson seemed to echo Johns’ statements when she said the movies will be driven by the filmmakers helming the productions.

“Moving forward, you’ll see the DC movie universe being a universe, but one that comes from the heart of the filmmaker who’s creating them,” Nelson said.

Whereas Kevin Feige tends to mastermind the overall direction of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with most films tending to serve toward a common goal, that won’t be the case with the DC Comics universe, which has “no insistence upon an overall story line or interconnectivity,” according to Nelson.

That may be pleasant for some fans to hear and angering for others, but it should work better for each individual film. Wonder Woman worked so well because it was unencumbered by the events of Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad.

But Suicide Squad, which was also largely independent of the overall universe, also suffered from problems with studio interference, while Wonder Woman is largely credited to director Patty Jenkins’ singular vision.

Though Justice League has experienced some issues behind the scenes, the executives seem wholly confident in Zack Snyder’s film and Joss Whedon’s contributions.

Will see how it turns out when Justice League premieres in theaters November 17.

by Joseph Schmidt | October 1, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/10/01/d...m_content=Link
Old 10-01-17, 02:57 PM   #412
DVD Talk Godfather

I think it's all pretty straight forward.

It's all one big universe but not every movie will a studio mandate to have long term plot connections or shoe-horned in "hey, look who it is!" cameos to constantly remind everyone it's one big universe, like Marvel.

Old 10-01-17, 03:17 PM   #413
DVD Talk Legend

I'm shocked Mike86 misread that entirely!
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 10-01-17, 03:19 PM   #414
DVD Talk Legend

In all seriousness, I despise continuity. Just let movies be movies, crossover when you want, contradict when you want, whatever. Just make good movies. WW was a huge step in the right direction. Putting Jones/Nelson in charge and taking the DCEU out of Snyder's hands was another. Keep going and have a Pepsi
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 10-01-17, 03:33 PM   #415
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I'm shocked Mike86 misread that entirely!
I realize you're being sarcastic but I don't see how I misread anything. There have been two articles about what's happening regarding how the DC universe is working going forward and the one I posted is Geoff Johns coming out and responding to what was initially reported because it came off confusing and clearly not just to me but others or he wouldn't have had to say anything more.

As far as continuity goes I think it can be done and work well. The MCU has proven that and I don't think most of the references are that forced. Some work better than others but mostly they're just short bits to thread things together. Nothing they've done feels more forced than the way DC has handled cameos in Batman V Superman or Suicide Squad. I'm fine with references being left out if they can't come up with better things to tie the films together than stuff like those films had.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-01-17 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 03:55 PM   #416
DVD Talk Hero

All they have to do is look at how CW handles their tv series. Each is their own show, but they acknowledge existing in the shared universe. Only when help is needed do they need to cross over. (Tho I do think some of the stuff in Flash, I'm surprised he doesn't ask for help more often even with having a team around him.)
Old 10-01-17, 04:14 PM   #417
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I think it's all pretty straight forward.

It's all one big universe but not every movie will a studio mandate to have long term plot connections or shoe-horned in "hey, look who it is!" cameos to constantly remind everyone it's one big universe, like Marvel.
And even with Marvel, I still argue that it's not that bad or disruptive.

Anyway, I don't see anything conflicting from the previous article to John's comments and clarification. I don't get the confusion.

Old 10-01-17, 04:23 PM   #418
DVD Talk Legend

I think to me the confusion lies in the fact that they came out and said anything at all. Basically they aren't emphasizing continuity yet it will exist. Just kind of weird that a comment like that even had to be made and especially doing it right when your biggest crossover film is releasing soon. Also in my opinion it comes off like a bit of a cheap way to say this counts but this really doesn't and further emphasizes how disorganized the DCEU is.
Old 10-01-17, 08:50 PM   #419
DVD Talk Legend

I think the problem with the DC movies stems from two things.

First, they keep re-estabilshing characters that everyone is intimately familiar with already. By this point, who doesn't know that Superman was sent to Earth from the dying planet Krypton, or that Batman is driven by the murder of his parents? These two characters are ingrained into our culture. Stop telling us their stories over and over again. We never need to see Smallville or a string of pearls bouncing off the alley again. Or at least not for a long, long time.

Second, because these characters are so well known (much more than most of the MCU characters), DC seems hell bent on refreshing them for "modern" audiences. Superman can't be a boy scout, and Batman can't be the world's greatest detective. They have to be dark, and edgy, and above all broken inside. This is why they jumped so soon into Suicide Squad. They're not interested in lighter fare like Ant Man, they want dark, as if dark somehow equates with "mature" or "serious."
Old 10-01-17, 10:07 PM   #420
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
And even with Marvel, I still argue that it's not that bad or disruptive.
It works for them, but I don't need to see Iron Man in Spider-man or Hulk in Thor to enjoy them.

Just like I didn't need to see Wolverine in EVERY X-men movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Second, because these characters are so well known (much more than most of the MCU characters), DC seems hell bent on refreshing them for "modern" audiences. Superman can't be a boy scout, and Batman can't be the world's greatest detective. They have to be dark, and edgy, and above all broken inside. This is why they jumped so soon into Suicide Squad. They're not interested in lighter fare like Ant Man, they want dark, as if dark somehow equates with "mature" or "serious."
That because the executives in charge of MoS, BvS and SS were still looking in the rearview mirror that is the Nolan trilogy. Problem is, what style works for Batman doesn't work for Superman. Nevermind that they were handled by a much better director than they have in Snyder.

The article posted above has some excellent insight into it.

Old 10-02-17, 08:41 AM   #421
DVD Talk Legend

"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 10-02-17, 10:43 AM   #422
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
It works for them, but I don't need to see Iron Man in Spider-man or Hulk in Thor to enjoy them.

Just like I didn't need to see Wolverine in EVERY X-men movie.
Sure, I just think that aspect of Marvel movies is overblown. There are Marvel movies that don't have cameos, like Guardians or Doctor Strange, or just have small references that aren't detrimental to the movie or "required" to know what's happening in the universe. I imagine DC will be similar, where some movies might have references or cameos, and others won't.

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-02-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 11:35 AM   #423
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder woman wasn't successful because it wasn't as connected, it was successful because it had the right casting and was well done

they need to fire Cavill and bite the bullet

DC have had a few casting disasters e,g, leto as joker

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, shag anything in sight
Old 10-02-17, 12:02 PM   #424
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Sure, I just think that aspect of Marvel movies is overblown. There are Marvel movies that don't have cameos, like Guardians or Doctor Strange, or just have small references that aren't detrimental to the movie or "required" to know what's happening in the universe. I imagine DC will be similar, where some movies might have references or cameos, and others won't.
Yeah for sure. Most of the Marvel cameos are done just to tie the universe together much like a comic book. A person doesn't have to rely on the cameos to understand the individual films at all really. The only time some of cameo stuff matters a little more and reliance on some of the previous films comes into play is in the bigger team up films like The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War, etc. Even in those films I'd say that a person can still watch and understand the story. More or less having watched all the MCU films enriches the experience but it's not like you have to watch it all or you'll be completely lost.
Old 10-13-17, 04:12 AM   #425
DVD Talk Legend

Just rewatched the Dark Knight rises

Criminal that these movies couldn't be integrated into the DC movie universe

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, shag anything in sight