Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (2016, D: Steers)

Old 12-16-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies....with Natalie Portman

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
I keep thinking that why they chose Portman (though I do like her) over Knightley for V for Vendetta?
The director of V for Vendetta worked with Natalie Portman when he was the assistant director on Attack of the Clones.
Old 12-16-09, 02:21 PM
Banned

Well...in that case that make sense.
Old 12-17-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
I guess Keira Knightley was too busy.

Thank god. I'd much rather have Portman in this than that waif. This sounds like it could be fun.
Old 10-07-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Natalie Portman out as star of Pride And Prejudice And Zombies

From Onion AV Club news

Only two days after director David O. Russell’s exit, Natalie Portman has also walked out of Pride And Prejudice And Zombies, the big-screen adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith’s novel about what it would be like if the prim, Regency-era characters in Jane Austen’s Pride And Prejudice also had to contend with zombies.

No word on whether this means David O. Russell could return as director, considering it was his “scheduling conflicts” with Portman that led to his exit, but as we all know, David O. Russell only walks out of things. (The “O” stands for “Outta here.”)

Anyway, Portman is staying on as executive producer of this now-doomed project that we’re obviously sort of exhausted with already.
Old 10-07-10, 07:42 PM

I can't believe they're making a movie based off of this book, I know of World War Z being released in 2012 but this? We're finally getting good zombie movies!

Zombieland was funny but it lacked zombies, such a world where it's supposably over run by zombies to find yourself watching 30-45 minutes of at most one zombie.
Old 10-07-10, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Verra View Post
I can't believe they're making a movie based off of this book, I know of World War Z being released in 2012 but this? We're finally getting good zombie movies!

Zombieland was funny but it lacked zombies, such a world where it's supposably over run by zombies to find yourself watching 30-45 minutes of at most one zombie.
I'd like you to verify that please. For the sake of the DVDtalk committee.
Old 10-08-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
Yeah, how dare someone take a boring piece of literature mostly geared toward women and interject something fun into it so a guy gets exposed to classic literature and can be entertained with zombie mayhem at the same time.

Almost as overrated as A Nightmare before Christmas.
What do you mean by boring literature? I get the feeling many people in this thread need to actually read more classics.
Old 08-04-14, 08:04 PM

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (D: Steers)

EXCLUSIVE: The adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith’s Pride And Prejudice And Zombies has been seeking big-screen life ever since the smash mash-up novel was published in 2009 — but through a series of director changes, it sometimes looked like it had one foot in the grave. No more. The movie version now is a reality with principal photography slated to start in September and Cross Creek Pictures acquiring domestic rights with a commitment for a wide U.S. release. Hot British actors Lily James and Sam Riley and Australia’s Bella Heathcote have been set to lead the film that mixes the 1813 Jane Austen classic Pride And Prejudice with a legion of bloodthirsty undead.

Burr Steers (Igby Goes Down, Charlie St Cloud) is directing from a screenplay by David O. Russell and Steers. Brian Oliver, Allison Shearmur, Sean McKittrick, Natalie Portman, Annette Savitch, Tyler Thompson and Marc Butan will produce on behalf of Sierra/Affinity, which also is handling foreign sales. (The project formerly was at Panorama but moved over with Butan when he joined Sierra/Affinity in January.) CAA packaged the Cross Creek deal.

Published by Quirk Books, the international bestseller has taken its time to get to the starting line. Russell, whose strong script has been one of the constants throughout the process, at one point was going to direct for Lionsgate, but he dropped out in 2010. The studio then chose Mike White, who subsequently left over a scheduling conflict, and Craig Gillespie moved into position in April 2011, only to exit six months later. That split was amicable, but as Deadline reported at the time, had to do with things like who to cast. Emma Stone passed on the lead role in June 2011.

Portman, who along with much of the team has been aboard as producer from the outset, at one point was going to star and later dropped out. Lily Collins was floated for the lead last year at around the time Steers came on. The package is now firmed up with James playing Elizabeth Bennett, Riley as Mr Darcy and Heathcote as Elizabeth’s sister. Jack Huston is also in talks. The novel plays with the relationships between lovers from different social classes in 19th century England who are faced with the challenge of an army of the “sorry stricken” aka zombies.

James, best known for her role as Lady Rose on Downton Abbey, next will be seen in Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (which Shearmur is also producing), and also is circling the Weinstein Co/BBC miniseries War And Peace. She’s repped by UTA and the UK’s Tavistock Wood Management. Riley was in the Disney smash Maleficent and is in The Weinstein Co’s upcoming Suite Française; he’s repped by WME and Tavistock Wood. Heathcote’s credits include Dark Shadows and In Time; she’s repped by WME, More Medavoy Management, Oz’s JM Agency and Sloane Offer.
Old 10-09-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (D: Steers)

Old 10-09-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks classy
Old 10-09-15, 01:13 PM
Banned

I never saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, aside from the trailers and some fight clips, but I really don't like how they insert Hong Kong influence on stuff/people based in a culture and period where that just looks odd to me.

I kind of want to see it but I was more interested when Portman was starring in it too. She's a producer still.
Old 10-10-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I never saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, aside from the trailers and some fight clips, but I really don't like how they insert Hong Kong influence on stuff/people based in a culture and period where that just looks odd to me.

I kind of want to see it but I was more interested when Portman was starring in it too. She's a producer still.
ALVH was...just okay. It's a very different creature from the book but it's still pretty entertaining.
Old 10-10-15, 03:11 PM
Banned

Eh. Just... the moment I saw Abe Lincoln going all Hong Kong... that ended it for me. The whole concept is just stupid cuz it messes w/ history but that's also the fun of it. That makes more sense to me than Lincoln all of a sudden being another member of the Hong Kong style. Abe to me would have been a brawler. A boxer at best. Seeing that would have been much cooler and would have got me to see it in theaters or even streaming.
Old 10-11-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasnt expecting it to look this cheesy.
Old 10-11-15, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies looks pretty awful.

As far as Lincoln Vampire Hunter that's a guilty pleasure. It's totally different from the book but as a standalone flick it works. The fact that Timur as a great visualist also helps. The BD is outstanding in terms of video and sound.
Old 10-11-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks fun to me! I love Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (though the book was better) so bring on more, I say.
Old 10-22-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-29-16, 02:15 PM

Old 01-29-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Kinda reminds me of the poster of the Vincent Price movie "The Masque of the Red Death."

Last edited by TomOpus; 01-30-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-05-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe they should have called this Pride and Prejudice and Zombiezzzzz because it seemed longer than it really was.

Maybe I need to go any watch P&P, but I read the mash-up book, though I really don't remember a thing about it.

If you are expecting a heavy helping of the undead, you'll be disappointed, as there mainly is just a sub-plot about
Spoiler:
intelligent z's that can talk and just want to get along with the living
along with the daughters (with a wasted Charles Dance as the father) who wants them to marry.

Then Daniel Tosh shows up (not really, but from the moment he arrives it was all I could think of when he was on-screen) and wants to marry one of the girls (I swear I kept waiting for him to announce he was gay - there were so many hints that females weren't his thing).

Anyway - there is another subplot about the four horsemen, spurned family, and an occasional jump-scare involving a zombie or two.

I certainly hope it was just an audio problem at my theater, but the zombie moments were super loud.

Add in a sword fight scene that starts at night, and literally continues while the sun is rising. Oh, and some stupid editing (extreme close-ups during said sword fight). Oh, and does ANYONE get dirty in this movie? I mean, 5 gals dresses mostly in white hacking and slashing their way through a zombie horde and not a single drop of blood splatters on them? Seriously, the main girl is swinging a sword around and not a single drop flies off of the blade onto the girl near her.

I expected better from this - shame on me. At times I honestly think they forgot about the zombies.

1/5
Old 02-06-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (2016, D: Steers)

Yes it was lite on Zombies but they got a lot right IMO. I had a ton of fun with it, but I'm also very familiar with Pride & Prejudice, so seeing this new spin on it was fun. I wasn't a fan of the guy playing Darcy but the women in this movie were great - looked amazing, kicking ass with great cleavage. It could have leaned more on the zombie side and it is very lopsided (it starts off a good mix but about halfway the zombie stuff takes a backseat for a good 20-25 minutes)....but still, worth seeing IMO and way better than I thought it would be. Shame it's tanking extremely hard. 3.5/5
Old 02-07-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
Yes it was lite on Zombies but they got a lot right IMO. I had a ton of fun with it, but I'm also very familiar with Pride & Prejudice, so seeing this new spin on it was fun. I wasn't a fan of the guy playing Darcy but the women in this movie were great - looked amazing, kicking ass with great cleavage. It could have leaned more on the zombie side and it is very lopsided (it starts off a good mix but about halfway the zombie stuff takes a backseat for a good 20-25 minutes)....but still, worth seeing IMO and way better than I thought it would be. Shame it's tanking extremely hard. 3.5/5
That was my biggest problem .. it didn't seem to know exactly what it wanted to be - drama set against a zombie apocalypse, or zombie ass-kicking film set in that period - 25 minutes is nearly a third of the runtime devoted to the P&P (but no Z). Yes, the girls were very attractive (perhaps they should have made Liz a bit more "plain" as I looked at her and thought "they think SHE isn't pretty?")
Old 06-26-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My wife roped me in to watching this tonight, and it wasn't bad. According to her (and she's a fan of P&P so I'll take her word for it) it's a very faithful adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (just set against the backdrop of a zombie apocalypse).

The lead actress (Lily James) was outstanding, and she expressed a desire to do more action movies. She should - she is a solid actress, but she can totally handle the action stuff really well.

It was fairly good. Not great, but a lot better than I expected after seeing the trailers last year. I kind of like the genre bending twists on classic settings. This definitely isn't a straight up zombie movie, which actually worked better for me since I'm getting a little tired of zombie movies and TV shows (especially since most of them are handled so illogically and unrealistically - even given their own laws of nature and physics as set by the writers and producers - that I find it hard to keep watching them).

I'd give this a solid 3/5, maybe even a 3 1/2.