DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies that have not aged well? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/621576-movies-have-not-aged-well.html)

OldBoy 08-03-14 11:20 AM

Movies that have not aged well?

So i was watching Reality Bites last night and just realized i wasn't into it as much as i was back then in the 1990's. it just was dated in the style and i couldn't relate to the story anymore. sad because i remember really enjoying this one. it just hasn't aged well for me...

JumpCutz 08-03-14 11:33 AM

Re: Movies that have not aged well?

Guardians of the Galaxy

E Unit 08-03-14 11:38 AM

Sin City is the most recent that comes to mind.

TomOpus 08-03-14 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 12188111)
Guardians of the Galaxy

:lol: It is SO yesterday!

TGM 08-03-14 11:46 AM

The Birth of a Nation

ddrknghtrtns 08-03-14 11:53 AM

Forest Gump and Avatar easily.

Rockmjd23 08-03-14 11:55 AM

CGI-heavy films from the 90s to early 00s. Stuff like The Mummy Returns, which actually looked dated upon release.

inri222 08-03-14 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12188120)
The Birth of a Nation

Yeah man there's like no 7.1 surround, it's in B&W and foolscreen. :sarcasm:

sven 08-03-14 12:07 PM

Scarface

Though I'm not convinced it ever looked like anything other than a slightly above average made for TV movie.

McHawkson 08-03-14 12:12 PM

I'll go with E.T.. Last time I watched it and it bored me to death. I remember I enjoyed it in 1980's.

JesseCuster 08-03-14 03:27 PM

The Big Chill. I don't know that it's ever been thought of as an iconic film but as I recall it was very well thought of back in the day and I loved it when I was a kid. What seemed kind of sweet and idealistic back then comes across as whiny and slightly annoying now. Still love the cast though. I was a bit surprised that Criterion released an edition of it.

Xiroteus 08-03-14 03:31 PM

Maybe films that were based during the start of the internet. It's just going to look dated faster because it's a film based on tech that gets out dated quickly.

Dr. DVD 08-03-14 03:33 PM

A lot of the James Bond movies, especially the ones from the Connery era. A lot of what was then cutting edge technology is now everyday . I'm not saying the movies are bad, but they do require one to put themselves in a certain mindset for enjoyment. Seems kind of

In all honesty, all movies where the emphasis was on the FX and action over the story seems to not age well in general . The likes of Harryhausen and such are still entertaining to watch, but only as illustrations to what FX were like back in the day and what was considered impressive in its day. That's why so many older movies that are still revered today (Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Godfather) are story and character driven.

Dr. DVD 08-03-14 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Xiroteus (Post 12188335)
Maybe films that were based during the start of the internet. It's just going to look dated faster because it's a film based on tech that gets out dated quickly.

The Net comes to mind. Ordering a pizza online looked odd then. :)

OldBoy 08-03-14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JesseCuster (Post 12188332)
The Big Chill. I don't know that it's ever been thought of as an iconic film but as I recall it was very well thought of back in the day and I loved it when I was a kid. What seemed kind of sweet and idealistic back then comes across as whiny and slightly annoying now. Still love the cast though. I was a bit surprised that Criterion released an edition of it.

ugh.that's not good to hear considering i just got the Criterion Blu-ray.

Mike86 08-03-14 03:56 PM

The Reeve Superman films. People hold them im such high regard but it seems to me that a lot of fans are more nostalgic for them and wear rose colored glasses regarding how good they are. They seem like they try to take themselves semi-seriously but mostly come off as campy and goofy. Reeve himself is great and the Williams score is awesome but overall meh.

The Crow also was pretty cringe worthy the last time I watched it. I used to think it was badass but ugh I don't think I could put myself through it again.

Also a lot of Tim Burton's films. I think I just outgrew his style or he just is stuck on the same old shit but I just am not a fan of the artsy goth stuff anymore. Batman is still good but I hate Batman Returns and really don't even care for Edward Scissorhands anymore.

dan30oly 08-03-14 04:02 PM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

Xiroteus 08-03-14 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 12188339)
The Net comes to mind. Ordering a pizza online looked odd then. :)

First film that came to mind. There is just no way around it looking dated. I enjoy it as a film.

Just checked and I have not watched The Net since March 05 2005. I've seen it a few times so I remember it well enough.

Jory 08-03-14 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12188359)
The Crow also was pretty cringe worthy the last time I watched it. I used to think it was badass but ugh I don't think I could put myself through it again.

There are lots of movies that I thought were awesome when I was a teenager but terrible when I revisited them as an adult. The Crow is one of them. The direction is often totally incompetent, and the whole thing sort of encompasses everything wrong with the goth subculture. It's hard to watch a bunch of adults acting like brooding teenagers, being overly dramatic and acting as if everything they say is some profound statement on the misery of existence and the power of eternal love that transcends death, etc. It reminds me of how the guys in bands like Linkin Park are in their late 30s and still writing songs that pander to angsty teens. It's embarrassing, and you just want to tell them to shut the fuck up and grow up a little.

I didn't see The Crow: City of Angels until much later, and I thought it was a much better film. Which is funny since critics and fans shat all over it, probably a knee-jerk reaction to the audacity of the studio to make a sequel to a film starring the undeservedly idolized Brandon Lee. Repeating essentially the same plot was a mistake, but changing the dead girlfriend to a dead son made it feel a bit more adult and mature, and I remember being struck by how much tighter the filmmaking was and how the whole thing looked much better, more stylish and less of a cookie-cutter goth scene. Not a masterpiece by any means, but it deserves re-evaluation.

As for The Net, I saw it again a few years ago and still thought it was decent. The outdated technology didn't bother me at all, no more than seeing typewriters and flapper-girl haircuts bothers me when I'm watching something from the 1920s. Funny how nobody ever complains about a movie being "dated" when the movie is good. The Terminator feels much more dated than Terminator 2, and yet nobody ever seriously complains about that. Obviously it's a problem when that outdated tech is the point of the story, but with The Net the point was mainly on the conspiracy, the manipulation of information, and the chase. You could remake it today practically shot for shot and not much would change.

TGM 08-03-14 04:32 PM

Singles is starting to show its age (although nowhere near as badly as Reality Bites)

Xiroteus 08-03-14 04:42 PM

As for The Net, I saw it again a few years ago and still thought it was decent. The outdated technology didn't bother me at all, no more than seeing typewriters and flapper-girl haircuts bothers me when I'm watching something from the 1920s. Funny how nobody ever complains about a movie being "dated" when the movie is good. The Terminator feels much more dated than Terminator 2, and yet nobody ever seriously complains about that. Obviously it's a problem when that outdated tech is the point of the story, but with The Net the point was mainly on the conspiracy, the manipulation of information, and the chase. You could remake it today practically shot for shot and not much would change.
The tech may be dated yet overall I never found it that big of a deal as it will and can apply to any older film with cars, phones, computers etc.... Aside from the shots involving a computer it is true that everything could be shot the same. I still like it as a film as I found it entertaining.

DJariya 08-03-14 04:53 PM

Some of Jackie Chan's late 80s and early 90s Hong Kong action movies feel horrendously dated now.

The Police Story series
Crime Story
My Lucky Stars
Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars
Meals on Wheels
City Hunter

are just a few off the top of my head that aren't really re-watchable because of how dated they feel. The big hair, the clothes and the really old cars being driven. Another factor was that those movies didn't record live audio during filming and were voiced over later on by other actors in post production. It's kind of cringe worthy hearing Jackie being voiced over in Cantonese by someone who doesn't even sound like him.

Shannon Nutt 08-03-14 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12188359)
The Reeve Superman films. People hold them im such high regard but it seems to me that a lot of fans are more nostalgic for them and wear rose colored glasses regarding how good they are. They seem like they try to take themselves semi-seriously but mostly come off as campy and goofy. Reeve himself is great and the Williams score is awesome but overall meh.

Trust me when I say that those Superman films haven't aged nearly as much as the two modern versions will (Superman Returns and Man of Steel) in 30 years. At least the Reeve films had some heart to them that keeps them appealing after all this time.

I also think you're confusing humor with 'camp' when it comes to the original film. What you call 'camp' is a very old-fashioned 'His Girl Friday' type of humor.

Hokeyboy 08-03-14 06:10 PM

For some reason, a lot of Cameron Crowe films haven't aged particularly well. Too many contrived cutesie-poo moments ("Tiny Dancer" being the absolute worst of them). I still think "Say Anything" is his best movie.

Mike86 08-03-14 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12188445)
I also think you're confusing humor with 'camp' when it comes to the original film. What you call 'camp' is a very old-fashioned 'His Girl Friday' type of humor.

They might not be true camp but that's definitely the vibe that they give off which almost makes it worse because if they were attempting humor it would be one thing but they date themselves so badly that they just are bad. For the record I don't hate the Reeve films but they're nowhere near the masterpieces some people make them out to be.

I don't think you can fairly say how well Man of Steel will hold up either. That's going to largely be judged on how good the future DC films are (namely Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice and beyond) and how well the Cavill version of Superman is accepted. The main group of people that really hated Man of Steel were Reeve fanboys it seems like. Superman Returns already has it's place in history as a dud.