Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best use of diegetic music in a film?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-03-14, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend brought this up after Guardians of the Galaxy stating that it was the best use of diegetic music that he's ever seen.

For those unaware:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Sound in films is termed diegetic if it is part of the narrative sphere of the film. For instance, if a character in the film is playing a piano, or turns on a CD player, the resulting sound is diegetic. The cantina band sequence in the original Star Wars is an example of diegetic music in film, with the band playing instruments and swaying to the beat, as patrons are heard reacting to the second piece the band plays. If, on the other hand, music plays in the background but cannot be heard by the film's characters, it is termed non-diegetic or extra-diegetic. Songs are commonly used in various film sequences to serve different purposes. They can be used to link scenes in the story where a character progresses through various stages towards a final goal. An example of this is in Rocky: Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now" plays non-diegetically as Rocky makes his way through his training regimen finishing on the top steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art with his hands famously raised in the air. A term sometimes used in the industry to describe such music is "source music".
For more information on diegetic music vs non-diegetic/extra-diegetic music: http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/dieget...ource-scoring/

For those who haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, all of the songs featured on the film's soundtrack are played from a cassette tape owned by the main character.

I threw out Almost Famous and The Boat That Rocked (otherwise known to Americans as Pirate Radio) as films that shined in their use of diegetic music. Specifically scenes that involved sing-alongs from the cast and crew (Tiny Dancer in the former, Eleanor in the latter). Notably, both films' plots revolve around music.

So what other films also used diegetic music really well?
Old 08-03-14, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Best use of diegetic music in a film?

It's extremely rare in films, but the HBO series The Wire only uses diegetic music, aside from the season finale montages. That technique really added to the verisimilitude of the show. I'm intrigued to hear that a science fiction opera used this approach, maybe I'll go see it next weekend.
Old 08-03-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't think it is rare at all. Nearly every movie I can think of that takes place after the invention of radio has a bar scene or party scene or driving in the car scene where the characters are listening to a record/radio/CD player.

I don't know for a fact, but I've read a claim American Graffiti was one of the first films to use this prominently. In the book Conversations Walter Murch describes recording the music tracks playing through shitty car speakers to use in the film, because he knew they couldn't have that crisp, right off the record sound.

I've never heard the term "diegetic" before, but one of the first that springs to my mind is the "Stuck in the Middle With You" scene in Reservoir Dogs. I love how the song fades away as Mr. Blonde walks outside, we hear the sound of the street; distant traffic, dog barking. You forget all about the music, so it's a real surprise when he springs the garage door open and the song is still playing away.
Old 08-03-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't know about best use but I love this scene in Transformers (mainly because of the 80's song).

<iframe width="520" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AxUK-My6XfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-14, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I don't think it is rare at all.
The vast majority of music in movies has no contextual place within the scene. There are plenty of examples of diegetic music, but it is the exception, not the rule.

I love the scene in Se7en when Morgan Freeman is doing research in the library and the security guard turns up the classical piece that plays throughout the remainder of the sequence.
Old 08-03-14, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Anytime classical music is performed on camera, it's diegetic. One of the most distinct scenes of classical music performance in a film is the finale of HANGOVER SQUARE (1945), where Laird Cregar, as a composer with a murderous split personality, is performing a piano concerto with an orchestra when the concert hall catches fire (he had something to do with its cause, IIRC) and all the musicians flee, except for Cregar, who keeps playing until the building comes down around him. It's notable as the only instance of a piano concerto ending with a piano solo. The piece, composed for the film by Bernard Herrmann, has appeared on various Herrmann compilation albums.

Frank Sinatra performs a number of his signature songs on camera in YOUNG AT HEART (1954). It's quintessential Sinatra and should be seen to appreciate his standing in popular music in the postwar era and the way he so successfully reinvented himself after the bobby-soxer era.

Old 08-03-14, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it's the best, but I loved it in Iron Eagle when I was younger.. That's what I immediately thought of for some reason when I read the op.
Old 08-03-14, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

diegetic verisimilitude? Hell's yeah!!
Old 08-03-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
diegetic verisimilitude? Hell's yeah!!
I'd love to hear someone use that expression in a conversation.
Old 08-03-14, 07:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d22CiKMPpaY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by TGM; 08-03-14 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-03-14, 09:46 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Purple Rain

/end thread
Old 08-03-14, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TGM
Such a great scene and movie. I can't think of a better film about young love that's been done better.
Old 08-03-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Would a musical count?
Old 08-03-14, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Would a musical count?
Why not? It is characters singing, not background music, but I guess that's subjective.
Old 08-03-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Boogie Nights - Sister Christian/Jessie's Girl, among other scenes

Jackie Brown - Didn't I Blow Your Mind
Old 08-03-14, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Back to the Future
Rocky IV (Living in America)
The Sound of Music

Many Disney movies
Old 08-03-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/hz-KwtKRBUY?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/hz-KwtKRBUY?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 08-03-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

Mia in Pulp Fiction, twice.
Old 08-03-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Of the films that fit this topic that I've seen recently, The Competition, starring Richard Dreyfuss and Amy Irving, really blew me away. Amy Irving's "performance" of Prokofiev's Piano Concerto #3 was incredibly well-shot and edited. I'd never heard the piece before, and the film made me an immediate fan of it. I've probably listened to that piece dozens of times since I saw the film in April.
Old 08-03-14, 11:25 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

the use of Night Ranger's Sister Christian in the Friday the 13th remake.
Old 08-03-14, 11:41 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Star Wars really is the winner. Every time the term comes up people define it by pointing to the cantina sequence.
Old 08-03-14, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favs-

Batman 89- Partyman ( museum scene), Trust ( Gotham celebration)

The Future is in the begining also but nowhere iconic as the two above.
Old 08-03-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

From Dusk till Dawn - After Dark - Hayek's dance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UYxxgvA8rlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

The opening to Desperado:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2e-0nikgtGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Why not? It is characters singing, not background music, but I guess that's subjective.
Kind of a cheat, IMO. That's like asking what TV show has the best theme song and you pick Wonder Years or CSI because they use the Beatles and the Who songs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.