Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
35.43%
30.29%
28.00%
4.00%
1.14%
0%
0%
0.57%
0.57%
0%
0%
MCU can kiss my lilly ass aka Who the hell are these guys?
0%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Old 08-03-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I'm already kinda sick of the "I am Groot" joke.

Hodor!!!!!
Old 08-03-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I recently watched IM2 for the first time in four years. I originally didn't like it, but I thought some of the subsequent films have actually retro-actively made the film better. It's still not the best film in the continuity, but all of the Shield nonsense that bugged me the first time didn't bother me nearly as much.

As for GotG, it's fun watching Chris Pratt become a movie star. Maybe we can get a Burt Macklin movie.
Old 08-04-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Saw it today and liked it.

I do think im following too many Cosplay bitches painted green because Zoe looked sexy in all her makeup.
Old 08-04-14, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iron Man has a great performance from RDJ and is fun, but it is far from being a great film.
Iron Man 2 has a great performance from RDJ, but the film is a fucking train wreck.
Iron Man 3 is currently the only stand-alone Iron Man film that works and fires on all cylinders.

Maybe, by that logic, the third Thor film will work considering the first two films are a mess.
Old 08-04-14, 02:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Train wreck, please. Transformers 2 is a train wreck. Iron Man 2 is just less good than many of the other MCU movies.
Old 08-04-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
My one remaining question is: are casual viewers who had no interest in seeing this initially but have seen other Marvel efforts (read: the co-workers of people who have posted in these forums) be giving this a chance ? I hope so as word of mouth is quite positive.
I've seen most of the biggies (only missing both Captain America's and the latest Spidey all three which I plan to see) and I went to this one knowing nothing about it because I got invited for free. I thought it was awesome and would recommend it to anybody.

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Only concern I would have had was the "Pollock" joke, if she asks you to explain it, plus the way d**k is used a few times (for comic effect). Other than that, there's a bit of alien blood spilled, and a lot of Star Wars-style deaths.
I was like whoa at that joke, not like outraged shocked, but like I thought this was a movie for kids (to be enjoyed by adults also) shocked.

I have never bought movie merchandise but I would buy a dancing Groot in a second. One for work and one for home even. They better come out with one now.

Really could feel the emotion with Groot and by the time he stood up towards the end even *I* was understanding him! He was really able to embody emotion. I fell in love with him more than I did with Rocket.

Spoiler:
So in the comics Rocket keeps repotting Groot. It just seemed like he's dead oh look he's back! And then I read he does it all the time. It cheapened it a bit. As in, you knew you could repot him and regrow him, why all the crying and the wailing I felt they should have a few seconds of wind or something blowing a twig and then a broken pot on the ground from the battle and then Rocket's eye narrow down or something.

Spoiler:
It's funny because when I walked out of the movie I asked a companion, so was that Groot? Or a Groot by-product, like the Son of Groot? I was happy to read on IMDb that it was Groot

Really really enjoyed it. Saw it on 3D but I don't think it added anything to it.
Old 08-04-14, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

This hasn't gotten old to me yet

Regarding Howard, a lot of people are asking for a One-Shot with him. Which I agree could be cool, but you're asking for the most expensive One-Shot ever. Maybe they could cheat by filming it via POV/found-footage style!

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Spoiler:
So in the comics Rocket keeps repotting Groot. It just seemed like he's dead oh look he's back! And then I read he does it all the time. It cheapened it a bit. As in, you knew you could repot him and regrow him, why all the crying and the wailing I felt they should have a few seconds of wind or something blowing a twig and then a broken pot on the ground from the battle and then Rocket's eye narrow down or something.
Spoiler:
This could've been the first time it ever happened.

I did feel that there should've been a visual of more burning/burnt branches around the group, but it looked like a majority of Groot just got evaporated instead.
Old 08-04-14, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was the first time. Rocket's words towards him at that action he was doing and his later reaction prove that. As a fan of the comics, I saw that coming. But the actions shown here make it clear that that was a first.

In the comics it's one thing. There's a history. In here it's free game cuz it's birth of a new history in a new medium.
Old 08-04-14, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I was really impressed with the cast overall but thought Karen Gillan was the weakest part of the movie.

I was sitting next to a dude in his mid-twenties (at the youngest) and he started crying like a 2 year old when Rocket was reacting to Groot's "death".

I liked it, a lot.
Old 08-04-14, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Iron Man 2 is awful.
No, Iron Man 2 is disappointing.

It's Iron Man 3 that's awful.
Old 08-04-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet

My theory on Star Lord's father:
Spoiler:
In the comics it's Jason of Sparta, but that doesn't jive with the descriptions of his father from the movie. His mother calls him "an angel made of light" and Nova Prime refers to him as "something ancient and powerful" (or close to that), so my guess is that it's actually Adam Warlock. The Reavers also say he was kind of an ass or something, and I could see Warlock talking down to a bunch of mercs. I assume they're going to introduce Warlock in GotG 2 no matter what as he's going to be an essential part of any Infinity Gauntlet story, so what better way to connect him than to make him Quill's dad?

Of course I could be totally wrong but that's what my gut tells me.

TL;DR: I am Groot.
Could be. Here's another thought:

Spoiler:
The mother said that Quill's father was an angel of light (or something like that). So maybe this guy:
Old 08-04-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Man, you want some entertainment? Go back and read the original Guardians thread from the beginning.

Here are some highlights from the first few pages:

Really? People want to see a talking racoon? Its like hoping Snarf will be a major character in a live action Thundercats movie. Hopefully Marvel is smart and leaves Rocket Racoon out. Maybe a tiny cameo if anything.
Damn... with Marvel's other big properties still at other studios, they now have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for their own movies.
Sorry, I'm sure there are a ton of people excited to finally see a laser shooting raccoon on screen.
aaaaaaaaaaaand Marvel's movie success comes to a screeching halt.
The actual result? Best August opening ever, destroying the previous record by almost 30 million dollars. Kudos to Marvel and everyone involved for pulling it off.

I will say things get more positive in the thread after Gunn is announced and the leads are cast.

Last edited by Draven; 08-04-14 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-04-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
"No raccoons or tree creatures were harmed in the making of this film."
I pointed that out to my dad. Loved it.
Old 08-04-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Very cool of Marvel to do this

http://io9.com/marvel-screened-guard...rea-1615584469
Old 08-04-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I still don't think Iron Man 2 is a failure. It's a fun movie and I don't mind the fact that it isn't standalone.
I found it tremendously boring, poorly plotted, and poorly paced It felt like a long prologue for The Avengers, which I also really didn't care for.

I did like Iron Man 1 and 3 though.
Old 08-04-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
It was the first time. Rocket's words towards him at that action he was doing and his later reaction prove that. As a fan of the comics, I saw that coming. But the actions shown here make it clear that that was a first.

In the comics it's one thing. There's a history. In here it's free game cuz it's birth of a new history in a new medium.
It was a good moment for those unfamiliar. My gf is a huge plant lover and started crying at Groots sacrifice and they went crazy during baby Groot dancing.
Old 08-04-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I was a little nervous taking our 4 year old to the film, but he LOVED it. Around 90 minutes in he was starting to get fidgety and a little antsy, but he really liked the movie.

We completely loved the movie, it was such a fun/epic ride, the most 'fun' I've had in a theater in a LONG time. Great balance of Humor/action/touching character moments. Honestly there were a couple of moments that hits you right *here*.
Spoiler:
Rocket talking about people treating him like a monster/rodent, 'We Are Groot' moment, Peter's mom dying

The Audience was pretty mixed, sure there were groups of guys that smelt like they had not showered in weeks (Sitting right next to me of course), but there were also couples, and many families (Matinee on a Sunday). Lots of laughter in all the right parts such as
Spoiler:
When Rocket stood up when everyone was joining into the team and said 'I guess we're all standing like Jackasses, and then when Groot was going all bad ass killing soldiers at the end, and Quill looked at at Drax and Drax smiled nodding, then Groot looked back with a big grin on his face.

I also loved all the ways that Groot used his powers, How Rocket was really the brains behind the whole operation. Just great stuff.

I honestly can't wait for GOTG 2, The final showdown with Ronan where Quill decides to
Spoiler:
Have a Dance off was just awesome and par for the course.

I of course gave this 5 stars. Loved Both this and CA:WS, but if I had to pick one movie I would watch over the other, it would be GOTG. It was just so much FUN.

Oh and I LOVED the end credits, and so did the Audience.

Question about GOTG 2 re some of the easter eggs/end credits:
Spoiler:
So Glad that Cosmo made it into the movie, I hope he has a Larger role and becomes a defacto member of the Guardians!
Old 08-04-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Glad to see I was wrong about this underperforming. Saw it with the wife on Saturday and we both loved it. It definitely stands up to anything else Marvel's done in terms of quality and fun factor. I've been a fan of Gunn since Slither and am glad to see him have a big hit.
Old 08-04-14, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I wish people would put NSFW for links like this....

I reeealllllly didn't need to have my boss walk in on me being on the verge of weeping.
Old 08-04-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone see this Thank you from James Gunn? Might be a repost:

“Thanks to all of you who saw (and are seeing) Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend, from the bottom of my heart. The Guardians are a group of oddballs, outcasts, and geeks. The movie is for anyone who ever felt cast aside, left out, or different. It’s for all of us who don’t belong. This movie belongs to you. And, today, I think we’re doing okay.

I am of course happy with all the film has accomplished box-office-wise. But what touches me the most is that the film I told the folks at Marvel I wanted to make two years ago is the film that you’re seeing in theaters today – it’s that so many of you seem to be directly EXPERIENCING the film I INTENDED. The cast, the producers, the crew, and I felt like we were making something special while we were making it. But it is very rare that a director’s INTENTIONS in creating a film, or a scene, or a character, or a line of dialogue are, seemingly, specifically what is experienced by an audience (not to mention critics!), and that seems to be what has happened here. You have allowed a talking raccoon – for a moment, a minute, or a day – to make you a little more human. And for that, I am profoundly grateful.

If I relied on myself to implement these intentions, the film would be a shambling mess. But instead, I had a wonderful cast, genius producers, an incredibly brave studio, sublimely talented visual effects artists, great editors, and the best damn crew of mostly-British bastards to actually implement these intentions for me. Where I had a good idea they would, through alchemy, transform it into a great one. Many of you involved are friends of mine on Facebook. Many of you will read this somewhere else. I love you all.

You may remember me posting here a couple weeks ago how sad I was to be finishing up the film, that I was having trouble letting go of Rocket, and that I was going to miss him. But seeing him (and Groot, and the rest of the team) embraced by the world like they have been, to be UNDERSTOOD, makes it a wonderful letting go. It’s like giving a foster pet up for adoption to the most wonderful parents in the world.

And, of course, I’m not really saying goodbye as, while many of you have been enjoying the film, I’ve spent this weekend hard at work on the sequel. I couldn’t help myself! The results are nice but it’s really the creative process I love and that keeps me going. I’m on fire with this thing! The Guardians have so many hardships and heartaches and triumphs ahead of them, and I can’t wait to share them with all of you.

Onto week two…

Love, James”
Old 08-04-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Okay, I want to have James Gunn's child.
Old 08-04-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No, Iron Man 2 is disappointing.

It's Iron Man 3 that's awful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rEu1dFLwf3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-04-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Cool, you take him, I'll take his ex-wife.
Old 08-04-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
That's super cool! It sounds like they did all right by him contract-wise too.
Old 08-04-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the Iron Man talk above:

Iron Man: Excellent film. Perfectly introduced the character and RJD is awesome
Iron Man 2: Not so good...good action, but what was the point?
Iron Man 3: Way above 2, but far below the first. But pretty solid overall

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.