Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) The Reviews Thread
35.43%
30.29%
28.00%
4.00%
1.14%
0%
0%
0.57%
0.57%
0%
0%
MCU can kiss my lilly ass aka Who the hell are these guys?
0%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) The Reviews Thread

Old 08-03-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by N2DVD View Post
Only concern I would have had was the "Pollock" joke
So there's a joke about Jackson Pollock in the movie?

Old 08-03-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
If they can't control their behavior then they are. Hey, folks can clap and whatnot, but when the douche physically gets up and screams and yells FUCK YEAH in a crowded theater? Sit the fuck down and shut up.
that actually happened in my theater. at the end of the last bit, when they reveal howard the duck, some kid got up and yelled "Oh my God, I told you!"

He looked like he was maybe 20 or so. I wanted to yell out, "you weren't even alive when the movie came out."
Old 08-03-14, 02:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 494 Likes on 434 Posts

is the end credit sequence online yet?
Old 08-03-14, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
If they don't put out a "Dancing Groot," a la the Dancing Soda Can or Dancing Flower, and capitalize on that little mid-credits scene, they are fools.

Oh I had forgotten about the dancing coke can..
Spoiler:
Now they have no excuse. if they have the tech to make a soda can look like it's dancing then we can get a dancing talking twig in a pot

Last edited by draven31; 08-03-14 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by draven31 View Post
Spoiler:
we can get a dancing talking twig in a pot..
spoiler alert!
Old 08-03-14, 02:10 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
So there's a joke about Jackson Pollock in the movie?

Actually, yes.
Old 08-03-14, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
spoiler alert!
fixed..
Old 08-03-14, 02:48 PM

so was this a post-convert 3D? why can't all movies use Cameron 3D (Avatar)...too expensive?
Old 08-03-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
If they can't control their behavior then they are. Hey, folks can clap and whatnot, but when the douche physically gets up and screams and yells FUCK YEAH in a crowded theater? Sit the fuck down and shut up.
I'd rather have someone showing genuine excitement than:
  • A woman not being able to control her child (Thursday night, she eventually left before the film ended but nearly ruined the entire third act).
  • An old person trying to read his book during the film by having his pocket reading light on (Friday show in IMAX 3D, the old man eventually left about ten minutes in).
  • The nerd sitting behind us doing a play-by-play of the stinger as if he was an autistic John Madden (Saturday show in IMAX 3D).
Old 08-03-14, 03:12 PM

Received 966 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Also during tonight's showing, when Quill tells Ronan, "You said it yourself, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy," the person sitting to my right literally jumped out of his seat and screamed, "FUCK YEAH!"

Nobody else shared his enthusiasm.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YZmCp7NocMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 300 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't think the issue is so much how someone's behaving or what you'd rather have, just the fact that someone who would stand up and yell "fuck yeah" during a movie is basically a loser. I'll go ahead and throw people who clap at a movie in the loser camp as well. Clapping at something when the people responsible for the thing you're clapping at aren't there to hear your applause is some straight up idiocy. Seriously, who the fuck are you clapping for - whoever it is, they can't hear you!
Old 08-03-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-03-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 685 Likes on 529 Posts

• A woman not being able to control her child (Thursday night, she eventually left before the film ended but nearly ruined the entire third act).
  • An old person trying to read his book during the film by having his pocket reading light on (Friday show in IMAX 3D, the old man eventually left about ten minutes in).
  • The nerd sitting behind us doing a play-by-play of the stinger as if he was an autistic John Madden (Saturday show in IMAX 3D).

No, all 4, are losers.

Damn, what kind of fucked up theater is that and where are the ushers to enforce that shit?
Old 08-03-14, 03:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I don't think the issue is so much how someone's behaving or what you'd rather have, just the fact that someone who would stand up and yell "fuck yeah" during a movie is basically a loser. I'll go ahead and throw people who clap at a movie in the loser camp as well. Clapping at something when the people responsible for the thing you're clapping at aren't there to hear your applause is some straight up idiocy. Seriously, who the fuck are you clapping for - whoever it is, they can't hear you!
Yeah, you tell 'em! Losers, all of you!

Who's the bigger loser, the person showing genuine enthusiasm or the person leaning back and making fun of them for it?
Old 08-03-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I have no trouble applauding if I see something that I really like in a movie. Of course I tend to wait until other people do it first...
Old 08-03-14, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sven View Post
awesome! i still have a copy of The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

Old 08-03-14, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
From the sound of things, It might be a 60's mix!
Hoping for some CCR in that case.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
If the guy had been talking the whole time, I'd agree. But some people get caught up in a moment. Doesn't make him a loser.
A guy did something similar in our showing only was for the after credit scene for that Howard the Duck cameo. Jumped up with arms in the air: "HOWARD THE DUCK! WHOOOO!"

I'd have preferred an Avengers preview myself so I couldn't share his enthusiasm.
Old 08-03-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
awesome! i still have a copy of The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

I work at a book bindery so I see The Giving Tree all the time.

Last edited by sven; 08-03-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I have no trouble applauding if I see something that I really like in a movie. Of course I tend to wait until other people do it first...
Pft. Follower.
Old 08-03-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

James Gunn seems like a pretty humble guy:

"Thanks to all of you who saw (and are seeing) Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend, from the bottom of my heart. The Guardians are a group of oddballs, outcasts, and geeks. The movie is for anyone who ever felt cast aside, left out, or different. It's for all of us who don't belong. This movie belongs to you. And, today, I think we're doing okay.

I am of course happy with all the film has accomplished box-office-wise. But what touches me the most is that the film I told the folks at Marvel I wanted to make two years ago is the film that you're seeing in theaters today - it's that so many of you seem to be directly EXPERIENCING the film I INTENDED. The cast, the producers, the crew, and I felt like we were making something special while we were making it. But it is very rare that a director's INTENTIONS in creating a film, or a scene, or a character, or a line of dialogue are, seemingly, specifically what is experienced by an audience (not to mention critics!), and that seems to be what has happened here. You have allowed a talking raccoon - for a moment, a minute, or a day - to make you a little more human. And for that, I am profoundly grateful.

If I relied on myself to implement these intentions, the film would be a shambling mess. But instead, I had a wonderful cast, genius producers, an incredibly brave studio, sublimely talented visual effects artists, great editors, and the best damn crew of mostly-British bastards to actually implement these intentions for me. Where I had a good idea they would, through alchemy, transform it into a great one. Many of you involved are friends of mine on Facebook. Many of you will read this somewhere else. I love you all.

You may remember me posting here a couple weeks ago how sad I was to be finishing up the film, that I was having trouble letting go of Rocket, and that I was going to miss him. But seeing him (and Groot, and the rest of the team) embraced by the world like they have been, to be UNDERSTOOD, makes it a wonderful letting go. It's like giving a foster pet up for adoption to the most wonderful parents in the world.

And, of course, I'm not really saying goodbye as, while many of you have been enjoying the film, I've spent this weekend hard at work on the sequel. I couldn't help myself! The results are nice but it's really the creative process I love and that keeps me going. I'm on fire with this thing! The Guardians have so many hardships and heartaches and triumphs ahead of them, and I can't wait to share them with all of you. Onto week two…

Love, James
Old 08-03-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

People clapping or yelling out in excitement at a movie is annoying and stupid to me, but I wouldn't call them losers. Now if it was some dude trying to make a joke or yell something sarcastic, then that would be douchey.
Old 08-03-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 685 Likes on 529 Posts

Losers, mouthbreathers, etc. The lines tend to blur sometimes.
Old 08-03-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Pft. Follower.
FWIW, there was theater of four guys, myself included, at the first Raid movie when it played in my area. The final fight scene was so kick-ass that when it was over I applauded, and so did the other three guys, who may or may not have been following my lead. I can be a leader , dang it!

Re: James Gunn's comments: it's really cool when a director who's know for only niche material finally has a major hit. Even better when the movie is true to his original vision. I am happy that the MCU is giving good storytellers like Whedon and Gunn such opportunities to show their talent to wider audiences, and that it seems to be connecting. Sadly, this makes Edgar Wright's departure from Ant Man all the more disappointing.
Old 08-03-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Wondering what kind of movie would be appropriate for a 13-year-old boy but not a 13-year-old girl?
Barbarella?
Old 08-03-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

anyone getting up in a movie theater and declaring something, anything, loud enough that every single patron can hear is annoying and deserves to be mocked. i don't give a shit what the reason is.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.