Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
35.43%
30.29%
28.00%
4.00%
1.14%
0%
0%
0.57%
0.57%
0%
0%
MCU can kiss my lilly ass aka Who the hell are these guys?
0%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Old 08-02-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Awesome movie and I can't wait for the second one.

However, the most overhyped casting of the century is for Vin Diesel.
Old 08-02-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 687 Likes on 497 Posts

Poll results are looking close to the high marks for Gravity.

I remember back when the first trailer came out. I posted that hopefully the actual movie is as fun as the trailer. I am glad it is.
Old 08-02-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Just got back from seeing it again. As expected, the 2D showing had much better sound (My theater's funky like that) While Winter Soldier is my favorite of the "Serious" Marvel films, GOTG (Undoubtedly) already remains as the one that I've had the most fun with.

Spoiler:
I caught caged-Howard this time around.
He's sitting sideways to the right of Benecio's head

Cleverly added in at the last minute. Seth Green is credited as his voice too

Originally Posted by TimeSkip View Post
We need the sequel to hurry up so I can find out what other songs are on that second mix tape.
From the sound of things, It might be a 60's mix!
Old 08-02-14, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 424 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
However, the most overhyped casting of the century is for Vin Diesel.
He didn't have much to do, obviously, but he did it well. There were different deliveries with different inflections. Also, something else I thought was cool was that because there wasn't a lot of work, apparently he also did the dubbing for most of the foreign releases as well, so no matter where you live, Vin Diesel is Groot.
Old 08-02-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
Solid, solid 5 stars for me.

First time in a while I wanted to see it again right after it ended.

And I thought that this was one of the dumbest ideas for a movie, and was almost certain it would be the first Marvel flop.

Boy was I wrong. After being bludgeoned by movie after movie that is hyper serious and dark and dreary, endless plot with washed out palettes and movies that take themselves WAY too seriously GOTG is a complete breath of fresh air.

Finally a movie that is just plain FUN, but also with heart and surprising depth.

I LOVED this movie. For me, by far the best of the Marvel movies and there are some really really terrific Marvel movies.

A throwback in many ways to the optimistic humorous and fun summer movies of the past. My highest recommendation and easily my favorite movie of the year. Crowd I was with LOVED it.
I didn't even know what this movie was and haven't even watched the trailers yet. But after finding out James Gunn was involved and your description of the film. I'm now really interested in seeing this.

You've hit the nail on the head how bland and boring most movies are today in that they take themselves too damn seriously and are mostly cynical as well. Hence why I've not been too excited for most action/sci-fi/superhero films lately. So now I'm really looking forward to this film!
Old 08-02-14, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I know Rocket is supposed to be the breakout star of the movie but I fell in love with Groot. I even bought a mini Groot.

I may have a problem.
Old 08-02-14, 08:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was like a 10 year old kid watching this movie. Loved it from top to bottom. I've loved Pratt since Parks and Rec and Gunn utilized him perfectly. I've enjoyed Gunn's work since Tromeo and Juliet and I'm so glad he got a chance to shine here. Speaking of Troma, I did notice Lloyd Kaufman, I was probably the only person in my theater to do so.

I was confident this movie would be great and an underdog hit pretty early on, and it's so edifying to see that not only is the movie great, but people are really connecting with it. Even better is that it's essentially an original IP. It's not to comic fans, but it is to everyone else, and the "everyone else" section of the audience is just as excited as the comic book people. Hell, as soon as the credits rolled my girlfriend turned to me and said, "So we're staying for the next showing, right?" This movie is going to have excellent legs at the box office since tons of people are going to see it again, and everyone is praising the 3D, so they'll get those expensive tickets going.

My theory on Star Lord's father:
Spoiler:
In the comics it's Jason of Sparta, but that doesn't jive with the descriptions of his father from the movie. His mother calls him "an angel made of light" and Nova Prime refers to him as "something ancient and powerful" (or close to that), so my guess is that it's actually Adam Warlock. The Reavers also say he was kind of an ass or something, and I could see Warlock talking down to a bunch of mercs. I assume they're going to introduce Warlock in GotG 2 no matter what as he's going to be an essential part of any Infinity Gauntlet story, so what better way to connect him than to make him Quill's dad?

Of course I could be totally wrong but that's what my gut tells me.

TL;DR: I am Groot.
Old 08-02-14, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I've enjoyed Gunn's work since Tromeo and Juliet and I'm so glad he got a chance to shine here. Speaking of Troma, I did notice Lloyd Kaufman, I was probably the only person in my theater to do so.
Stephen Blackehart who is Benny from Tromeo is also in Guardians.
Old 08-02-14, 09:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, I missed that one.
Old 08-02-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

Cosmo the Dog was played by Gunn's own dog Von Spears.
Old 08-02-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I'm a little surprised at how many people here absolutely love it and are calling it the best MCU movie as I didn't think it was close to beating my other favorites like Avengers or Winter Soldier. I liked Days of Future Past better too, as far as comic book movies this year. I can accept being in the minority here though, even if I still give it 4 stars in the poll. To me I thought it started off a little slow and just wasn't feeling the build up and excitement during the action sequences like I did in my favorite Marvel movies nor was some of the humor or soundtrack as awesome for me that others have been raving about.

That said, the characters are all enjoyable enough to carry the movie for an overall really fun time. Groot in particular stole the show for me, with an impressive array of emotion displayed with such few words. And his friendship with Rocket was excellent. Quill was up and down for me; the Gamora stuff felt a little too predictable and cheesy for me but some of his antics, particularly in the end, were fantastic. Drax's deadpan literal take was also hit or miss with me. Some lines were funny, others not so much. I did love the overall scope of the film, and the color, costume, and makeup for a large number of aliens were particularly fantastic to look at. Especially Ronan and Nebula. Wish we got more Thanos. And disappointed the end credit scenes didn't really throw any nods to anything upcoming in the Marvel universe. At least not that I could tell.

Anyway, upper half of MCU movies for me, but a notch/tier behind Avengers, Winter Soldier, and Iron Man for me.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-02-14 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

My wife and I saw it tonight. Awesome. We both thought it was one of if not the best Marvel movie.

And yes, she wants a Groot.
Old 08-03-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed this during my third viewing tonight (second in IMAX 3D), but someone is dressed up akin to Sgt. Kabukiman when Quill, Gamora, Groot, and Rocket are all fighting one another Xandar. They're in the background during the last few moments of the sequence, but I kept on darting my eyes to make sure there wasn't a second person in the crowd dressed like a Kabuki actor.

Also during tonight's showing, when Quill tells Ronan, "You said it yourself, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy," the person sitting to my right literally jumped out of his seat and screamed, "FUCK YEAH!"

Nobody else shared his enthusiasm.
Old 08-03-14, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three times in one weekend? Wow. What's the record amount of times you've seen a movie in theaters?
Old 08-03-14, 12:48 AM

Received 957 Likes on 562 Posts

If they don't put out a "Dancing Groot," a la the Dancing Soda Can or Dancing Flower, and capitalize on that little mid-credits scene, they are fools.

Old 08-03-14, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
Three times in one weekend? Wow. What's the record amount of times you've seen a movie in theaters?
Three times in 48 hours (Thursday at 8:00p, Friday at 2:15p, and Saturday at 7:45p). In my defense, I only paid $12 out of pocket.

This beat my record of The Matrix Revolutions in which I saw it three times over a five-day period.

I saw The Matrix Revolutions five times in theaters. That's what holds the record. I am an idiot, but, on the record, I've seen a shitload of films 3-4 times in theaters.
Old 08-03-14, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably not a surprise that the Funko POP Groot is the #1 best selling action figure on Amazon right now. With Rocket #2.

http://www.amazon.com/Funko-POP-Marv...s_2514571011_1

So cute
Old 08-03-14, 01:27 AM
Cool New Member

I loved how this movie built on the Marvel universe and took us away from the avengers characters we have gotten so used to. I'm really excited for what's to come...
Old 08-03-14, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My record for a film is WALL·E which I saw three times in one weekend. If I had a movie theater showing it 3 minutes from my house I may have seen Guardians again. I expect to see it at least once more.
Old 08-03-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Saw this again yesterday in 3D. I could tell some care was put into the conversion process. Not as good as Gravity's , which I would never have believed to be a conversion had I not read it, but good nonetheless.

I am glad this is getting such a positive reaction, and with it coming out at the "end" of the summer movie season it has the potential to stick around for some time. It most likely won't get much during the week business as many kids are returning to school (at least in the southeastern US) . But it can still pull in some decent weekend business. I truly hope (and believe) the new TMNT movie will prove a flop. I would hate to see this movie fade out quickly while Michael Bay produced schlock gets the business .

My one remaining question is: are casual viewers who had no interest in seeing this initially but have seen other Marvel efforts (read: the co-workers of people who have posted in these forums) be giving this a chance ? I hope so as word of mouth is quite positive.
Old 08-03-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do you guys think is the minimum age for this movie? I've got three teenage boys 13 and up, so I think there's no problem there but what about a 10 and 13 year old girls?
Old 08-03-14, 08:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 327 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I enjoyed this quite a bit, but I'm a little surprised at how many people here absolutely love it and are calling it the best MCU movie as I didn't think it was close to beating my other favorites like Avengers or Winter Soldier. I liked Days of Future Past better too, as far as comic book movies this year. I can accept being in the minority here though, even if I still give it 4 stars in the poll. To me I thought it started off a little slow and just wasn't feeling the build up and excitement during the action sequences like I did in my favorite Marvel movies nor was some of the humor or soundtrack as awesome for me that others have been raving about.

That said, the characters are all enjoyable enough to carry the movie for an overall really fun time. Groot in particular stole the show for me, with an impressive array of emotion displayed with such few words. And his friendship with Rocket was excellent. Quill was up and down for me; the Gamora stuff felt a little too predictable and cheesy for me but some of his antics, particularly in the end, were fantastic. Drax's deadpan literal take was also hit or miss with me. Some lines were funny, others not so much. I did love the overall scope of the film, and the color, costume, and makeup for a large number of aliens were particularly fantastic to look at. Especially Ronan and Nebula. Wish we got more Thanos. And disappointed the end credit scenes didn't really throw any nods to anything upcoming in the Marvel universe. At least not that I could tell.

Anyway, upper half of MCU movies for me, but a notch/tier behind Avengers, Winter Soldier, and Iron Man for me.
We must have been separated at birth, because that's exactly how I felt about this movie. I really enjoyed it, but it's not my favorite Marvel film.
Old 08-03-14, 08:56 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 327 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
What do you guys think is the minimum age for this movie? I've got three teenage boys 13 and up, so I think there's no problem there but what about a 10 and 13 year old girls?
Perfectly appropriate for 10-year-olds.
Old 08-03-14, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I took my 8 year old boy Thursday night and he loved it. I don't think there would be any difference between boys and girls. I would have loved this movie when I was that age...and I'm a girl.
Old 08-03-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 682 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
I noticed this during my third viewing tonight (second in IMAX 3D), but someone is dressed up akin to Sgt. Kabukiman when Quill, Gamora, Groot, and Rocket are all fighting one another Xandar. They're in the background during the last few moments of the sequence, but I kept on darting my eyes to make sure there wasn't a second person in the crowd dressed like a Kabuki actor.

Also during tonight's showing, when Quill tells Ronan, "You said it yourself, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy," the person sitting to my right literally jumped out of his seat and screamed, "FUCK YEAH!"

Nobody else shared his enthusiasm.

Wow, what a loser.

/facepalm

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.