Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Longest and shortest shooting times for films?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The impending release of BOYHOOD, which was shot over a 12-year period, got me to thinking about all those thousands of B-movies that were shot in a week's time (e.g. most B-westerns), so I got to wondering how many famous films were shot in five days or less. I know that Roger Corman's LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960) was shot in three days. And Corman's THE TERROR (1963) is often cited the same way, although that's misleading since only the studio portion with Boris Karloff took three days, while all the outdoor and second unit stuff was shot over a much longer period. I think Corman's A BUCKET OF BLOOD (1959) was shot in five days and, perhaps Edgar G. Ulmer's DETOUR (1945). Any others?

And then, that led me to wonder what the longest shoot for a single film was before BOYHOOD. I'm thinking offhand of films like CLEOPATRA, APOCALYPSE NOW and HEAVEN'S GATE, although I don't know the duration of those shoots off the top of my head. But there must be a whole bunch of troubled productions that started and stopped production over a period of years. I can't think of any offhand, but there were some that were discussed here in other threads not that long ago.
Old 07-10-14, 02:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Longest and shortest shooting times for films?

Eraserhead. There's one particular point where Jack Nance walks through a door and literally ages 18 months, although the entire production was something like 5 years, off and on.

Eyes Wide Shut. I can't remember the details, but I remember discussions about how this production dragged on much longer than Cruise and Kidman ever expected.
Old 07-10-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I read about this one movie that was filmed all in one take, but it probably had a ton of pre-production associated with it.
Old 07-10-14, 02:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

http://www.thelongestfilm.com

Ambiance is set to be 720 hours long and released in 2020.
Old 07-10-14, 02:53 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack

The trailer alone is 72 mins.
Old 07-10-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I read about this one movie that was filmed all in one take, but it probably had a ton of pre-production associated with it.
Alexander Sokurov's Russian Ark
Old 07-10-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The animated film The Thief and The Cobbler took 28 years to complete.
Old 07-10-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Boyhood had a 4,200 day production schedule, but only 39 days of actual filming.
Old 07-10-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

As for one of the shortest, The Forbidden Dance was written, produced, and released in a little over 3 months.

Per Wikipedia
Spoiler:
The film was written, produced, and released very quickly in order to cash in on what some thought was a Lambada dance craze. The script was commissioned on December 7, 1989 by Sawmill Entertainment and producer Richard L. Albert after he had seen Kaoma perform the song "Lambada" in Los Angeles. The script was written in about ten days, and filming began within a month. Albert's Sawmill Entertainment hired the same writers and director recently employed in making the suspense film Sight Unseen starring Susan Blakely.

The film was shot on 35mm film in and around Los Angeles, California, and was completed when a color-corrected answer print and other film elements were delivered to Columbia Pictures on March 15, 1990. Editing went on around the clock, with two separate crews of film editors working while the film was being shot. Two choreographers were hired, Miranda Garrison and Felix Chavez, and the work apportioned between them. Film critic Roger Ebert visited the set while filming, as news was publicized how fast a major-studio film could be produced. The film featured the 1989 song "Lambada", performed by the group Kaoma, which became involved in the Lambada dance craze.

It was released on March 16, 1990, the same day as rival film Lambada – whose producers brought an action before the MPAA title registry to block the use of the word "Lambada" in the title. Notwithstanding that attempt, posters went up in New York before the release promoting "Lambada" in large type followed by "is the Forbidden Dance" with a picture of Laura Harring and Jeff James dancing in the rain forest.
Old 07-10-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It never happened, but Orson Welles at least discussed fixing up The Magnificent Ambersons 25 years after the fact with the same actors, now close to the actual ages they were made up to be in the latter part of the move (where most of the cuts were made). He did film Don Quixote over 15 or so years but that was never completed and released only in a compromised form; it probably can't be considered a "real" movie. But Othello was real and was filmed on and off for at least a couple of years starting in 1949 (released in May 1952).

Lawrence of Arabia filming took 17 months (May 15, 1961 to October 20, 1962); somewhere in the movie there's supposed to be a shot of Peter O'Toole in a scene, a quick cutaway to another shot, and back to O'Toole, but it's a shot taken more than a year later.
Old 07-10-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Alexander Sokurov's Russian Ark
There's BTS footage of the making of that film. When filming was completed, the director almost looked just like this guy:
Old 07-10-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack

I will wait for the extended directors cut on BD.
Old 07-10-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Eyes Wide Shut is recognized by Guinness as the longest continuous shooting period at 400 days, although that's not the entire shoot because principal photography began in November 1996 and ended in June 1998.