Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hocus Pocus 2 (2022, D: Fletcher) — Disney+

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 02:39 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Rumors have circulated for years about the possibility of a HOCUS POCUS sequel, and it looks like Disney has finally decided to do it. The second installment focuses on a witch hunter who teams up with a magical housewife to stop a power-hungry evil witch. There’s no word yet whether the original cast will return in any capacity, but from the sound of the project, Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy will probably not be resurrected this time around.

Back in July of 2012, Disney denied a rumor swirling on the internet that “Hocus Pocus 2: Rise of the Elderwitch” was in development after Perez Hilton, MTV, and other gossip outlets ran wide with the story. This time, however, the Tracking Board has specific details about the production.

We have reports that Allison Shearmur Productions has signed to produce the film and that Bryan Oh, Stephen Meinen, and Allison Shearmur herself are in charge at the company. Tendo Nagenda and Jessica Virtue are executive producing at Disney.

The aim for the two protagonist female leads is in the vein of Tina Fey and Melissa McCarthy. Though the original film dealt with 3 witch-sisters coming back on Halloween night, this story seems to focus on drawing different people together to fight a common evil.

The film still seems a long way from production, but now that it’s actually in development, fans have true cause to get excited.

More good news on the UNTITLED HOCUS POCUS SEQUEL front: Tina Fey and her company Little Stranger will produce the project. When we broke news of the project’s details back in April, we knew that producers were aiming for two leading ladies in the vein of Fey and Melissa McCarthy; there’s no word yet on whether Fey will appear in front of the camera, but she’s getting in on the action behind it. Fey joins producer Allison Shearmur and execs Bryan Oh, and Stephen Meinen from Allison Shearmur Productions, and execs and Jessica Virtue and Tendo Nagenda from Disney.

The original “Hocus Pocus” focused on a teenage boy who finds himself the target of the three evil witches–the Sanderson sisters, played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy. The sequel will pick up years after the original, focusing on a housewife who is related to the Sanderson sisters, who teams up with a witch hunter to save her children after they run afoul of some resurrected witches while out trick-or-treating. No actors from the original film have been confirmed as returning for the sequel. In fact, no actors are yet attached to the project. My assumption is that producers are looking for a Fey type for the housewife and a McCarthy type for the witch hunter, but thinking about Fey and McCarthy’s previous work, those roles could easily be reversed.

Fey is best known for her work as the star and showrunner of the NBC comedy “30 Rock,” and prior to that, for her time as a writer and beloved Weekend Update anchor on “Saturday Night Live.” Shearmur, meanwhile, was a producer on “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” and will produce Kenneth Brannagh’s upcoming live-action “Cinderella.”

We’re still a long way from seeing a “Hocus Pocus” sequel on our screens, but Fey’s involvement is a good sign on both a creative and executive level. Given that rumors of the sequel have been spreading and getting denied for years now, it’s good to see forward motion of any kind on the project. And behind the camera or in front of it, Fey is a charming and funny presence–and the original “Hocus Pocus” was pretty charming and funny, so the sequel needs to bring its A game if it wants to match it. It’s a good thing Fey is on hand to help.

Fey is repped by WME and 3 Arts Entertainment.
http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exc...hocus-pocus-2/
Old 07-02-14, 02:40 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Hocus Pocus 2 - New, rumors, etc. - Tina Fey Producing

Wait...wha??
Old 07-02-14, 04:00 PM

re: Hocus Pocus 2 (2022, D: Fletcher) — Disney+

Hmmm...quickly debunked: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ti...el-1201257273/
Old 07-02-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

You can now close your own thread
Old 10-24-19, 04:02 AM

Disney is taking another stab at developing a new incarnation of the 1993 cult classic feature Hocus Pocus, which starred Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy. This time it’s through the Walt Disney movie studio which produced the original for the upcoming streaming platform Disney+.

The new film, now in early stages of development, will be written by TV writer producer Jen D’Angelo (Happy Together, LA to Vegas, Workaholics) It is unclear whether it will be a true sequel but there is hope that Midler, Parker and Najimy could reprise their roles in some shape or form.

The Hocus Pocus followup, first reported by Collider, is consistent with Disney+’s programming strategy of mining the Disney movie library for reboots and sequels, starting with the new live-action/CGI Lady and the Tramp film, which is part of the streamer’s launch slate.

Two years ago, Disney Channel put in development a Hocus Pocus TV movie, a reimagining of the 1993 feature. Written by Scarlett Lacey, with David Kirschner, producer on the original movie, on board to executive produce, the new Hocus Pocus, which did not get off the ground, was to feature a new cast.

The 1993 film was written by Neil Cuthbert and Mick Garris, based on a story by Garris and Kirschner, and directed by zKenny Ortega. It chronicles what happens when three villainous witches, played by Midler, Najimy and Parker, are inadvertently resurrected in Salem, Massachusetts. The film has become a cult hit and a staple on Disney Channel and Freeform with annual airings.
https://deadline.com/2019/10/hocus-p...lo-1202767781/

There was a sequel book written a few years ago that took place 25 years later with Max and Allison’s daughter:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by dex14; 10-24-19 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-04-20, 01:56 PM

Adam Shankman will direct “Hocus Pocus 2” at Disney Plus, sources tell Variety.

The film — a sequel to 1993’s cult hit “Hocus Pocus” starring Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy — was written by “Workaholics” writer and co-producer Jen D’Angelo.

Shankman is currently in pre-production on Disney’s “Enchanted” sequel, titled “Disenchanted.” It’s yet to be determined which film will be in the works first.

The original “Hocus Pocus” cast members are not attached to the sequel, but Disney is hopeful that they will become involved in some capacity. Sources say that ideally the trio of actresses will reprise their roles, rather than having to completely reboot the first film.
Old 03-04-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Hocus Pocus 2: Hocuser Pocuser?
Old 03-04-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

2 Hocus 2 Pocus
Hocus 2: Pocus Boogloo

Let’s get it out of the way, right?
Old 03-04-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I feel like if they don’t get the original three actresses then don’t even bother. The appeal of a sequel would be if they were back, which it’s too bad this didn’t happen years back already. It’s been talked about so long.
Old 03-05-20, 07:26 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I feel like if they don’t get the original three actresses then don’t even bother. The appeal of a sequel would be if they were back, which it’s too bad this didn’t happen years back already. It’s been talked about so long.
Yeah. Unless they're back and have a legit role, they shouldn't bother. I don't want them to just do a cameo.
Old 03-05-20, 07:27 AM

Over the years, all of them have expressed interest in being involved. Vinessa Shaw and Thora Birch have said they would do it too. Omri Katz doesn't really act anymore, but he has been good about making appearance at Halloween screenings in LA when they try and get the cast together.

Halloween 2019 is over, but speculation about the planned Hocus Pocus sequel has only just begun.

The trio of stars at the center of Disney’s seasonal classic have all expressed interest in returning for Hocus Pocus 2, currently in development for the new Disney+ streaming service.

Actresses Bette Midler and Kathy Najimy — who played wicked witches Winifred and Mary Sanderson in the Kenny Ortega-directed 1993 original — attended the former’s annual Hulaween gala in New York City Thursday night, where they spoke about their potential involvement in the cinematic continuation.

“Oh my goodness me. Oh, I hope they get to me before I’m a corpse,” Midler told Entertainment Tonight at the event. “We wanna fly again. I hope Disney+ is a big success and I hope we get to do it, because [Winifred] is of course one of my favorite characters…. I can’t wait to read the script. We’re gonna see what happens.” she added.

“I heard about it online the same time as [everyone else]. But here’s the honest answer: Sarah and Bette and I all have a million projects and things that we’re into, so I don’t know if they’re gonna offer us [roles]. I don’t know if the worlds are going to collide so that we could all three do it at the same time,” Najimy said. “But I’m happy that it’s happening, because the fans are really rabid and they really want it,” she added. “[And] if we’re not all available to star in it, I think it would be so great to do a cameo. I think that’d be really fun.”

Sarah Jessica Parker, who played Sarah, the third Sanderson sister, wasn’t in attendance, though she did stoke further speculation with an Instagram post celebrating the movie. When a fan commented with a question about the potential for a sequel, Parker replied: “We have all said yes. Now we wait.”
https://ew.com/movies/2019/11/01/hoc...ast-returning/

Last edited by dex14; 03-05-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Mainly if the Sanderson sisters are back together is what I care about. If they’re after new kids and the originals (obviously older now) don’t show up or have more of cameo roles I’m alright with that.
Old 12-10-20, 06:03 PM

Old 12-10-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't get Kenny Ortega to direct the sequel. He's 70, but he's still actively directing projects.
Old 05-20-21, 11:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 05-20-21, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Oddly enough, even though I grew up in the 90s and love Halloween and Halloween movies, I somehow never saw the original until last October when I’d watched it with my kids. I was....underwhelmed.

The Sanderson sisters were good but they weren’t in it as much as I thought. There was an entire chunk in the middle of the movie where they didn’t appear much at all. The beginning, in the past, was really good but the modern day stuff just fell flat for me. I don’t know, I know I’m in the minority with that.

I do like Vanessa Shaw and Thor’s Birch and if it’s on Disney+ I’ll probably check it out anyway.
Old 05-20-21, 12:56 PM

In the sequel, “Three young women accidentally bring the Sanderson Sisters back to modern day Salem and must figure out how to stop the child-hungry witches from wreaking a new kind of havoc on the world.”

Anne Fletcher (The Guilt Trip) has also been confirmed to direct the movie this fall.
Old 05-20-21, 12:57 PM

Re: Hocus Pocus 2 (2022, D: Fletcher) — Disney+

I hope they bring back the others from the original as well. It seems Thora will be…

Old 10-18-21, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

This has apparently started production and is supposed to shoot through December. They've constructed a period village facade in Provincetown, Rhode Island.

Originally Posted by dex14
I hope they bring back the others from the original as well. It seems Thora will be…
Vinessa Shaw says she hasn't heard anything. I don't think she's playing coy, since she said it was disappointing.

https://www.etonline.com/hocus-pocus...quel-exclusive

That's a bad move on Disney's part. Catching up with Max, Allison and Dani would have been as much of a draw (even more so for me) as seeing the Sanderson sisters again. I think most fans who grew up with the original feel the same. I did read a rumor that Dani is the only one of the original kids who features in the script.

Honestly, it's not like Hocus Pocus needed a sequel. Like... at all. But if you're gonna do it, why not get the whole cast back together if they're up for it? Even if it's just supporting parts. That plot synopsis sounds like a basic retread anyway.
Old 10-18-21, 07:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

The original has grown on me over the years. Was underwhelmed when I first saw it, “too kiddie”, but now I consider it a classic and watch it most years.
Old 10-31-21, 10:34 AM

Last edited by dex14; 11-01-21 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-31-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

IDK why but I thought this was coming out this Halloween on D+ bummer it's not till next year.
Old 11-01-21, 12:19 PM

According to new plot details released by the Mouse House, the new Hocus Pocus will pick up 29 years after a teen named Max (played by Omri Katz in the original 1993 film) lit the Black Flame Candle and resurrected the three 17th-century child-essence-stealing sorceresses.

Winifred (Midler), Sarah (Parker), and Mary (Najimy) are now looking for revenge when they find themselves back in Salem in the present day. It's up to three high school students, who incite the wrath of the enchantresses, to stop them.

Those three teens are Becca (Gossip Girl's Whitney Peak), Cassie (Dirt's Lilia Buckingham), and Izzy (American Horror Stories' Belissa Escobedo).

Additional casting was announced on Halloween, with original Hocus Pocus actor Doug Jones returning for the sequel to reprise his role of Billy Butcherson, whom Winifred resurrected as a decaying dead man in the first movie.
https://ew.com/movies/hocus-pocus-2-...ilming-starts/
Old 11-01-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Considering how many people dressed up as these 3 witches over the weekend I can see this being a hit.
Old 11-01-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Considering how many people dressed up as these 3 witches over the weekend I can see this being a hit.
It's found a new audience on Disney Plus. My 11 year old daughter watched it last month and that's what she picked for her costume.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (11-02-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.