Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hocus Pocus 2 (2022, D: Fletcher) — Disney+

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hocus Pocus 2 (2022, D: Fletcher) — Disney+

Old 11-12-21, 09:44 AM

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,214 Posts
Re: Hocus Pocus 2 (2022, D: Fletcher) — Disney+

Old 03-15-22, 09:08 PM

Thora Birch was asked to reprise her role as Dani Dennison in Disney+'s upcoming Hocus Pocus sequel, but a source close to the actress tells EW she had to decline due to scheduling conflicts.

The source says that Disney asked Birch to play a "good supporting role" as an adult version of Dani, who appeared in the original Hocus Pocus back in 1993, but her obligations to Netflix's Addams Family-inspired series Wednesday prevented her from joining the production schedule. Birch reportedly exited that series in December.

They added that, if the plan had worked out, Birch would've played Dani as she worked to help three modern-day teens (played by Gossip Girl's Whitney Peak, Dirt's Lilia Buckingham, and American Horror Stories' Belissa Escobedo) with their attempts to halt the Sanderson sisters' (Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy) plot for revenge following their resurrection from the dead to terrorize Salem 29 years after the events of the first film.

Disney had no comment on Birch's potential involvement.
https://ew.com/movies/thora-birch-no...hocus-pocus-2/
Old 03-16-22, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

The lack of Birch is disappointing.
Old 06-28-22, 08:10 AM

This Halloween Season, some legends never die. Hocus Pocus 2, an Original movie event, streaming September 30 on Disney Plus.

Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy reunite for the highly anticipated Disney+ Original Movie “Hocus Pocus 2.” The live-action, long awaited sequel to the perennial Halloween classic, which brings back the delightfully wicked Sanderson sisters for more comedic mayhem, will debut on Disney+ on September 30.

It’s been 29 years since someone lit the Black Flame Candle and resurrected the 17th-century sisters, and they are looking for revenge. Now it is up to three high-school students to stop the ravenous witches from wreaking a new kind of havoc on Salem before dawn on All Hallow’s Eve. “Hocus Pocus 2” also stars Doug Jones (“The Shape of Water”), Whitney Peak (“Gossip Girl”), Lilia Buckingham (“Dirt”), Belisa Escobedo (“American Horror Stories”), Hannah Waddingham (“Ted Lasso”), Tony Hale (“Veep”), Sam Richardson (“The Tomorrow War,” “Good Boys”), Juju Brener (“Vanquish”), Froy Gutierrez (“Teen Wolf”), Taylor Paige Henderson and Nina Kitchen. The film is directed by Anne Fletcher (“Dumplin,’” “The Proposal”), written by Jen D’Angelo (“Happy Together,” “Workaholics”) and produced by Lynn Harris (“King Richard,” “The Shallows”), with Adam Shankman (“Disenchanted,” “Hairspray”), Ralph Winter (“Hocus Pocus,” “X-Men” franchise) and David Kirschner (“Hocus Pocus,” “Chucky”) serving as executive producers.
Old 06-28-22, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,342 Posts

You don’t get much of a look at them but Midler, Najimy, and Parker all still look really good. It’s like no time has passed at all. Granted, there’s mark-up involved, but still. It certainly doesn’t look like it’s been 30 years.
Old 06-28-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 857 Likes on 701 Posts

Yeah all three actresses playing the sisters look good from what’s seen. Should be fun to see the new film.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-29-22)
Old 06-28-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 400 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't have Omri Katz, Thora Birch, or Vinessa Shaw return. I would have loved for the story to be about the child of Max and Allison trying to stop the Sanderson sisters like in the Hocus Pocus 2 novel. Maybe they filmed a super secret cameo?
John Pannozzi (06-29-22)
Old 06-28-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Or else saving it for Part III
Old 06-28-22, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Received 697 Likes on 421 Posts

OK I'm predicting that "the stage" is supposed to be for a drag show. Sanderson Sisters' drag shows are popular around Halloween and even done in the Freeform Halloween Road each year.
Old 09-01-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
OK I'm predicting that "the stage" is supposed to be for a drag show. Sanderson Sisters' drag shows are popular around Halloween and even done in the Freeform Halloween Road each year.
You're probably right. Entertainment Weekly just did a story on the movie and mentioned a few RuPaul's Drag Race alum make an appearance.

Omri Katz also confirmed he was not asked to return. Director Anne Fletcher said they would have liked to have had the original kids back and considered working them in, but felt that there was no place for them in the story. I call BS on that. The Dani character was rumored to be featured as the high school principal before Thora Birch had to decline. Why couldn't they change that to Allison instead? Or make Max the town mayor instead of adding Tony Hale. Sounds like Disney didn't really care since most of the budget was going to pay Midler, Parker and Najimy. It would have been easy to make Max and Allison the parents of one of the new girls (like in that sequel novel from a few years ago).

I wonder what the rationale is behind creative decisions on a project like this. I know Midler mentioned it was important they bring back as many key crew members as possible, yet original director Kenny Ortega was not involved -- despite saying he hoped to be part of it. I assume he was still on good terms with Disney, as he also directed the successful "High School Musical" movies. Did he and Bette not get along? Screenwriter Mick Garris wasn't brought back either. Instead, the studio just put the memo out to agents of various comedy writers to see if any of their clients wanted to take a stab at the script - which is how Jen D'Angelo (mostly known as a story editor on "Workaholics") ended up with the gig a couple years ago. The whole behind the scenes approach to this movie just seems off to me.

The new poster looks like a cheap Disney Channel movie DVD cover. Man, do I miss the days of Drew Struzan art. The wigs are really obvious here too... more like a photo shoot for Spirit Halloween.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-02-22 at 04:59 AM.
IBJoel (09-01-22)
Old 09-01-22, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 400 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't know if I'll even give this a watch. Not having any of the original kids is a huge disappointment. They could have worked them in somehow. It wouldn't be too hard and I doubt they'd ask for a ton of money either.
Old 09-01-22, 07:30 PM

^ Yeah, Hocus Pocus was one of my favorites growing up (and the first movie I ever saw twice in theaters) - but I'm keeping my expectations very low for this. The Sanderson sisters were fun, but that trio of kids were a big part of the appeal. Just sucks they were kind of brushed off when all three expressed interest in returning. They couldn't even work Thora back in during reshoots? The EW article confirmed we won't even be getting a Jay and Ernie/Ice cameo. What a waste.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-03-22 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-09-22, 07:45 PM

Old 09-09-22, 11:56 PM

Meh. Like I figured, it seems like a basic retread (Hey, folks: remember "Amok, amok, amok!"?). The scene of the witches raiding a Walgreens is recycling a deleted grocery store scene from the original. Mary flying on Roombas is sort of funny, but it's not the most original concept -- fans have jokingly suggested that idea on social media for years.

I wonder if Hannah Waddingham is playing the Sanderson sister's mother. That's what I suspected when she was cast. I'm glad they at least brought back Doug Jones. I met him at a convention about a decade ago and told him how much I enjoy him as Billy Butcherson (prompting some annoying woman standing behind me to butt in with "Me too! ME TOO!!!") He told me the movie had become like "The Wizard of Oz" for the under thirty set. I don't know if I would go that far, but it is amazing (considering how it bombed in theaters) too see Spirit Halloween filled with "Hocus Pocus" swag nearly three decades later. Almost as interesting as seeing Sam from "Trick 'r Treat" suddenly become a Halloween icon in the last five years or so -- especially since Warner Bros. dumped that movie direct-to-video.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-10-22 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 09:04 AM

Out on Friday.
Old 09-27-22, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 521 Posts

He told me the movie had become like "The Wizard of Oz" for the under thirty set.
I have never even seen Hocus Pocus once, but I know two women in their 30s who watch it many times during the "Halloween Season, and they are VERY excited about this sequel.
Old 09-27-22, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,342 Posts

I’ll wait a few more weeks until it’s closer to Halloween but I’ll watch this with my kids.

I think I’ve mentioned it earlier in this thread but I only ever saw the first movie a couple years ago so it’s never been a Halloween staple or classic movie for me. Seeing it for the first time in my 40s, I thought it was cute but not particularly memorable. I’m guessing the sequel will fall in line with the first.
Old 09-27-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 190 Posts

JFC my sister-in-law is renting a portable screen and having an event for this at her house Friday. Looks like I will be seeing this sooner than I expected.
JeremyM (09-27-22)
Old 09-27-22, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Jpcamb, your post has me chuckling out loud as I type. I actually think it is cool that your SIL is going all out and hope you have a bit of fun watching. Even without the OG kids (who I also wish were in the film), I am going to watch. I was a latecomer to seeing this film in its entirety, maybe my first watch all the way through happened in the past 2-3 years.

Also, as I keep telling everyone, October starts this weekend, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, are all coming at us fairly fast.
JeremyM (09-27-22)
Old 09-27-22, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 952 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
JFC my sister-in-law is renting a portable screen and having an event for this at her house Friday. Looks like I will be seeing this sooner than I expected.
If you want to get out of it, complain of suddenly coming down with explosive diarrhea.
Old 09-29-22, 09:44 AM

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hocus_pocus_2
Old 09-29-22, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 857 Likes on 701 Posts

Reviews are about what I expected. Dan Murrell was positive on it. I’ll give it a watch even though I have gotten to the point with the first film of finding it overplayed.
Old 09-30-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 952 Likes on 692 Posts

You don't need to watch the first one other to have a little reference. But if you're a fan of the original, you should like this one.

Yeah, this was fine. I thought the original was okay, too. There are a couple songs....covers, actually. I liked Book. While the movie felt like it was going to be about a new trio of witches, that's not the case. Once the Sanderson Sisters show up, they're in it till the end. And the usual fish out of water stuff, since they're in the current world.

Speaking of the end, there's a short post credit scene.

Old 09-30-22, 03:36 PM

As a devotee of the original, I did not care for this one at all. I know it's just a silly family movie, but the new coven of girls were boring and undeveloped. When the mayor's daughter is tied up and in peril, I could not have cared less because she'd only been in a couple minutes of the movie and made no impact. When Dani gets abducted in the original, it felt like real stakes because she was a feisty kid you could root for.

I also felt they neutered Winifred a bit. With Disney being the way they are now, I knew they would attempt to soften her from being an unredeemable tyrant. But I still rolled my eyes when
Spoiler:
she happily resigned to fade into oblivion because it meant not facing an eternity without her beloved "sistahs". Maybe I'm wrong, but I always had the impression Winnie was the sort of villain that wouldn't have given much hesitation to offing Sarah and Mary herself if it was the only way to hang on to her youth and power. Of course, that flies in the face of the female solidarity message this movie leans into so hard.

The flashback in the beginning was cringey in both acting and content. I get what they were attempting to establish: "Winnie is a FIERCE trailblazer who refused to bend to the patriarchy!" It was odd to see the sisters living alone as children, but I guess mummy Sanderson (and her scorpion pie) was already gone by this point.

The easter eggs got annoying fast. I understand they wanted to pay tribute to Gary and Penny Marshall, but did they really need to go as far as showing some random couple watching the original movie on television? How does that even work? I mean, there were already extras dressed like Gary and Penny's characters that were shown more than once. Not to mention throwing in another pointy bra Madonna. A few callbacks are fine, but I thought this was overkill.

Also, the "I Put a Spell on You" number in the original was a fun little sequence... but having the witches break into an Elton John tribute number immediately after being resurrected in the woods? Yeah, that was definitely a thing that happened this time.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-01-22 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-30-22, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 690 Likes on 534 Posts

Because I was already in my mid 20s when the original came out, a "soft" horror movie like Hocus Pocus was never on my radar so I never watched it. Of course, I can understand how someone who was a kid in the 90s would like it.

Anyway, I watched it last night on ABC, and I realize how much American Beauty ruins other movies for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.