Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

Old 09-06-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 711 Likes on 550 Posts
Re: The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

Stupid Question:
Do you think this novel will give the movie away?

No, but I hope it's as violent as the novel and I will know (somewhat) where the story of the film will start from given the events of the book.
Old 09-06-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Fox Deletes Scene From ‘The Predator’ With Registered Sex Offender

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/f...or-1202929542/
This is so asinine.
Black should know better...what a fncking idiot.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
No, but I hope it's as violent as the novel and I will know (somewhat) where the story of the film will start from given the events of the book.
Thanks.
Old 09-06-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Fox Deletes Scene From ‘The Predator’ With Registered Sex Offender

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/f...or-1202929542/
You can't have an actual predator in a Predator movie?
Old 09-06-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 782 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
You can't have an actual predator in a Predator movie?
Old 09-06-18, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 413 Posts

Not "an actual predator" ... THE Predator.

I guess Black is out for GOTG3.
Old 09-07-18, 08:38 AM

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Reviews are starting to come in: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_predator
Old 09-07-18, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
But that it’s nasty (and not in a good way), that it pisses away the Predators as a threat (we get one just firing a standard gun at one point. A Predator, a lethal hunter, just left firing a gun), that it fails to explain plot points, and just resorts to blowjob and vagina jokes when it’s in trouble? Well, it’s the franchise disappointment of the year. It’s such a crushing letdown. When one character lamely tosses out “get to the chopper” at one point, it just doubles the pain.

And the ending? Well, let’s just say at some point we should all get in a pub and talk about it. We might need some drinks.

A bad misfire this, particularly disappointing given the pedigree of who’s behind the camera. I think I may have got that across. Save your money. Buy a Predator boxset, The Nice Guys, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Lethal Weapon. Every single one of those is worth your time to some degree.

The Predator, though, is not.

(From a review, not super-spoilery, but figured I'd tag it anyway.)

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/t...e-hunt-is-over

Oof.
Old 09-07-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Surprisingly . . .

‘The Predator’ Director, Star Olivia Munn Skip Red Carpet Interviews After Casting Controversy

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/t...et-1202931623/

It says Black intro'd the film, but doesn't mention if he or anyone else stuck around for a Q&A, so I'm thinking the cheaper option of tonight's screening might've been the right choice!
Old 09-07-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 326 Posts

What difference does it make if the scene is in the film? I assume Striegel got paid, so are they going to demand he return that? Are audiences going to know who the fuck this guy is?
Old 09-07-18, 11:00 AM

I suppose the optics could get worse if it was left in, with the divisive nature of everything these days. Shane Black has often referred to his own "debauched" glory years, which might cause some to start digging for possible connections or whatever.
Old 09-07-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...r_breakingnews

Sold. Take my money.
Old 09-07-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Reserved a ticket for an IMAX show on Thursday night.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09...redator-review

FWIW, IGN gave it a 6.5 out of 10.

But seems like the majority of others liked it.
Old 09-07-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
What difference does it make if the scene is in the film? I assume Striegel got paid, so are they going to demand he return that? Are audiences going to know who the fuck this guy is?
^That X 1,000.

I suppose the optics could get worse if it was left in, with the divisive nature of everything these days. Shane Black has often referred to his own "debauched" glory years, which might cause some to start digging for possible connections or whatever.
As a person who works in public relations, “the optics” is a kindly euphemism for “things that don’t actually matter a damned bit, but some one will take it out of context.” Then again, we live in an age where the loudest and nuttiest are now the most rewarded, the minority rules with an iron keyboard, and truth only matters when you need something to wipe with.
Old 09-09-18, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
As a person who works in public relations, “the optics” is a kindly euphemism for “things that don’t actually matter a damned bit, but some one will take it out of context.” Then again, we live in an age where the loudest and nuttiest are now the most rewarded, the minority rules with an iron keyboard, and truth only matters when you need something to wipe with.
And as someone who works in a marketing agency, that’s pretty much what I said!

Still, it’s a shame the world has come to this. The internet’s a powerful tool for all, including that minority whose ideologies never left their kitchen tables once upon a time.

- - - - - - - - -

By the way, saw this at TIFF a couple nights back, in IMAX. Perusing pro reviews afterward, I found that Variety’s semi-pan shared a lot of the same issues I had with the film, although Im probably a bit more forgiving of certain such flaws and would rate it higher, a 6 or maybe 7.

It feels like the work of comic/movie nerds who never grew up — or haven’t evolved much as filmmakers — which is kind of a blessing and a curse for this instalment, which often feels like The Monster Squad Gets PTSD. The surplus of characters in this, all of whom are annoyingly “lovable” in one cliched way or another (the heroes even get a Monster Squad-y nickname for their unit, “The Loonies”) and far too many of whom survive all the way to the climax, made me realize how streamlined the earlier movies’ character dynamics were by comparison, and how some suspense was maintained by killing people off at irregular intervals. And there’s also a HUGE surplus of blue-uniformed government special-ops type guys to serve as both predator fodder AND victims for our heroes when they suddenly have to murder their way out of a bind(!).

Mind you, this is also by far the funniest of the four films, just a near-constant stream of little comedy “bits”, character tics and stand-up jokes that, I suppose, are meant to alleviate the slaughter-y moments or something? Not saying I found much of it funny, just that it’s clearly all by design, and that Black and Dekker presumably thought there wasn’t really anywhere else to go with a franchise that’s been relatively serious from the beginning, arguably to a fault in the last movie. One of the new Predator Dogs even becomes a regular Pete The Pup for our gang of merry psychos! Seriously, it even plays fetch.

I thought the whole convoluted way Boyd Holbrook mailed the Predator tech to the U.S. from Mexico and how his son actually received it because of unpaid P.O. box fees was beyond stupid right off the bat, and really needed more thought.

On the other hand, the idea of
Spoiler:
a misunderstood ‘good’ Predator giving earthmen the next gen in organic, wearable, military-grade Predator suits
is growing on me with hindsight. If there’s another sequel, at least it will have a new angle to explore.

Black and Dekker introduced the film but as I suspected didn’t stick around (either for us or the press, I’ve read), which was good because I arrived late to a capacity house and the only two decent non-front-row seats remaining had their names taped on them, so once volunteers removed the tags, I had a pretty good spot.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-09-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm too big a fan of Black and Dekker's body of work to not see this one. I'm not expecting much, I just want to be entertained. Sounds like this is more of a Shane Black movie than a Predator movie, which may nor may not be for the best, as outside of Iron Man 3 he really hasn't had much commercial success as a director.
Old 09-11-18, 10:44 AM

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,967 Posts

What an odd press tour this is turning into.
Old 09-11-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 711 Likes on 550 Posts

My friend saw it yesterday and said it was a great throwback flick. Great violence and great f-bombs galore.
Old 09-11-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 896 Likes on 603 Posts

It's funny...Hollywood has ALWAYS been full of dirt bag piece of shit actors, actresses, producers, studio heads, etc. But "the Hollywood System" worked very hard keeping that stuff in house so that "the optics", a thing you think doesn't matter, didn't cause trouble for their bottom line. So let's not act like people never cared about this stuff. They did. Now that the real lives of "Hollywood folks" are an open book, the public does in fact care about stuff like pedophiles, rapists, etc being in films/shows people care about. You may not, I may not, other dvdtalkers may not but lots of folks do. So blowing off "the optics" seems a kinda arrogant.
Old 09-11-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Down to 45% on Rotten Tomatoes (17-21 right now). This is leaning towards a skip in theaters and catch it at home type of movie for me.
Old 09-11-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. This is a library rental for me now.
Old 09-12-18, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Sounds like this is more of a Shane Black movie than a Predator movie, which may nor may not be for the best, as outside of Iron Man 3 he really hasn't had much commercial success as a director.
Having seen it, I think this is an apt assessment. I think KISS KISS BANG BANG and THE NICE GUYS are a lot of fun, and slick contemporary noirs, and I never understood the haters for IRON MAN 3 (although Black surely had Marvel dictating a lot of the content?). I don’t think THE PREDATOR is as good as those, but it has more to recommend it than not. Well, maybe not the dog . . .

Incidentally, not sure if it’s been mentioned here, but the film is set around Halloween, or maybe afterwards, but you’ll spot Christmas decorations in the occasional window.
Old 09-12-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Despite being under a tropical storm watch, hoping our theater is still showing this tomorrow night.
Old 09-12-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I think it would be cool to watch movies like The Predator with a hurricane raging outside.

Unless the theater flooded and we all drowned, which would suck.
Old 09-12-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I'll be seeing this tomorrow night in IMAX. I'll try to do at least 1 re-watch the original movie maybe tonight.
Old 09-13-18, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then again, we live in an age where the loudest and nuttiest are now the most rewarded, the minority rules with an iron keyboard, and truth only matters when you need something to wipe with.
How TRUE that is...

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think it would be cool to watch movies like The Predator with a hurricane raging outside.
The more I think about it the more I agree.

Unless the theater flooded and we all drowned, which would suck.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.