Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Age of Extinction (Bay, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Bay, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
4.08%
4.08%
2.04%
18.37%
20.41%
6.12%
12.24%
14.29%
2.04%
2.04%
6.12%
Less than meets the eye!
8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Age of Extinction (Bay, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not surprising, and won't stop it from being one of the highest-grossing films ever. These are critic-proof, and by the time we're at a fourth installment, pretty everyone knows what they're getting.
Old 06-26-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Bay, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

At 165 minutes, I'm almost certainly waiting for home video on this one. I've seen all three prior films in the theater, but the last two were so mind-numbingly dull, I'm not going to subject myself to this again.

I'll be watching the thread though to see if anyone can change my mind...but I'd rather save my money for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has to be less mindless than this...right?
Old 06-26-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Down to 13%
Old 06-26-14, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Damn man. What happened?
Old 06-26-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People are getting what they want then. After the first one there were a ton of people on the board craving non-stop bot on bot fight scenes. You don't have to ask Michael Bay twice that you want more SPLOSHUNS. He has progressively given us something larger, louder and harder to follow.
Old 06-26-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
At 165 minutes, I'm almost certainly waiting for home video on this one. I've seen all three prior films in the theater, but the last two were so mind-numbingly dull, I'm not going to subject myself to this again.

I'll be watching the thread though to see if anyone can change my mind...but I'd rather save my money for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has to be less mindless than this...right?
Sorry to disagree, but I found the last one to be great, the Chicago stuff was epic and action packed, if called that "dull" not sure what you would call exciting.

That all being said, I HATED the new girlfriend, she almost ruined the entire movie.
-Her acting was horrible and the engagement was way out of left field. It should have been M Fox he proposed to, would have tied the 3 movies up nicely.
Old 06-26-14, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Sorry to disagree, but I found the last one to be great, the Chicago stuff was epic and action packed, if called that "dull" not sure what you would call exciting.

That all being said, I HATED the new girlfriend, she almost ruined the entire movie.
-Her acting was horrible and the engagement was way out of left field. It should have been M Fox he proposed to, would have tied the 3 movies up nicely.
The third is my second favorite in the franchise and I agree about the new girlfriend. Terrible acting and they should have brought in Megan Fox for at least a few scenes book ending the film at the very least. I get that Spielberg got his panties in a twist because Fox compared Bay to Hitler but, let's face it, that was a stupid as fuck reaction since everyone who's accused of acting like a dictator is by default compared to Hitler. And looking at Bay's on-set antics, he does come across like a fratboy douche and a bossy prick. Yes, he gets the job done (on time and under budget) but he does come across as an unlikeable dictator. So the comparison is apt. And if it was Spielberg that had to insist Fox be fired, it means that Bay didn't give a fuck what she said about him as long as she showed up and looked pretty on camera. Spielberg should have stayed out of it.
Old 06-26-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The female "characters" in his films basically just exist for the camera to ogle them, I'd imagine that he find them all interchangeable. Obviously, my distaste for his films colors my perceptions, but I must admit, even in interviews and on DVD special features, Bay comes across as a hugely abrasive and difficult person who frankly seems to be extremely unpleasant (and it sounds like his attitude towards women on real life is similar, I'm sure if you're interested in actual acting rather than walking around looking attractive, it probably wouldn't make him much endeared to you). But he clearly has his finger on the pulse of the world and as long as he keeps making monster hits, I'm sure it matters little to the studios

Sorry to disagree, but I found the last one to be great, the Chicago stuff was epic and action packed, if called that "dull" not sure what you would call exciting. That all being said, I HATED the new girlfriend, she almost ruined the entire movie. -Her acting was horrible and the engagement was way out of left field. It should have been M Fox he proposed to, would have tied the 3 movies up nicely.
I thought the Chicago stuff wore me down. A 60-minute battle sequence? Between Bay's frenetic shooting style and the lack of any actual interesting characters who were basically just there to be blown up, it eventually got to be way, way, way too much of a mediocre thing. Whitely was basically in the movie because Bay worked with her on a Victoria's Secret commercial and thought she'd be nice eye candy, because she serves little purpose in the actual narrative other than to get captured.
Old 06-26-14, 08:35 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
A Michael Bay movie is like the opening of the Ark of the Covenant; it melts my face, but I cannot look away.
New sig material.
Old 06-26-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

They wanted to dump Fox because she's miserable to work with and they thought any pretty girl could fill her role in the franchise. She was also quickly aging out of the target demo's preferred age range for their object of desire. The Transformers franchise makes its money on the back of tween boys who will obsessively watch it multiple times.
Old 06-26-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Her acting was no less horrible than Megan Fox and the engagement was way out of left field. It should have been Fox who died along with the hundreds of faceless "red shirt" soldiers, would have tied the 3 movies up nicely.
Fixed.
Old 06-26-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They wanted to dump Fox because she's miserable to work with and they thought any pretty girl could fill her role in the franchise. She was also quickly aging out of the target demo's preferred age range for their object of desire. The Transformers franchise makes its money on the back of tween boys who will obsessively watch it multiple times.
She said that working for Michael Bay was like working for Hitler. Michael Bay probably didn't care but Spielberg, who produces them took offense & canned her. She's in the new Ninja Turtles movie produced by Bay so he isn't holding a grudge.
Old 06-26-14, 11:13 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Hooooooly fuck was this a chore to get through. They could've easily cut 45 mins from this. I really wanted to just leave. As bad as ROTF was, this was much less enjoyable to watch. Just a bloated mess.
Old 06-27-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
She said that working for Michael Bay was like working for Hitler. Michael Bay probably didn't care but Spielberg, who produces them took offense & canned her. She's in the new Ninja Turtles movie produced by Bay so he isn't holding a grudge.
That is the PR excuse, I was listing the real reason behind her dismissal. They had to come up with a plausible excuse for why they were dumping her and she provided them one.
Old 06-27-14, 02:16 AM
Banned

Spielberg has said he never suggested to Bay that Fox be replaced for her comment and that he had nothing to do with her not being in DotM. I have no reason to think him a liar.

--
Old 06-27-14, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The third is my second favorite in the franchise and I agree about the new girlfriend. Terrible acting and they should have brought in Megan Fox for at least a few scenes book ending the film at the very least. I get that Spielberg got his panties in a twist because Fox compared Bay to Hitler but, let's face it, that was a stupid as fuck reaction since everyone who's accused of acting like a dictator is by default compared to Hitler. And looking at Bay's on-set antics, he does come across like a fratboy douche and a bossy prick. Yes, he gets the job done (on time and under budget) but he does come across as an unlikeable dictator. So the comparison is apt. And if it was Spielberg that had to insist Fox be fired, it means that Bay didn't give a fuck what she said about him as long as she showed up and looked pretty on camera. Spielberg should have stayed out of it.
Wow, finally! After all these years, some love for Megan Fox! I'm not the lone voice in the wind, anymore. Hoo-rah!
Old 06-27-14, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shut the fuck up, old man! You don't know shit about wtf you're talking about.

Seriously though.

Yeah, she's a piss poor actress but she was just hired to be doll to jerk off with our eyes. I could tolerate her cuz she was on par with everything else in quality.
Old 06-27-14, 09:27 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It has been 10 hours since I saw it... and I still can't believe I managed to sit through this mess.
Old 06-27-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't hate this. Yes, it was big. Yes, it was dumb. Yes, it was loud. But it's a Michael Bay film. He deals in a very specific type of popcorn entertainment, and Age of Extinction is the perfect example of that. I wasn't that bothered by the movie's epic running time, and I'm proud to say that I emerged from the 3D screening without a headache!

3 out of 5. Here's a bit from my full review:

The (appropriately insane) storyline is definitely cut from the same cloth (or sheet metal, as it were) as the earlier films. No surprise there, as screenwriter Ehren Kruger also had a hand in penning the last two installments. But there's one notable difference this time around: the film's humor. Age of Extinction is the franchise's funniest and (by extension) its most fun entry, thanks to Wahlberg (whose character is always quick to shoot off quips) and a silly sense of self-awareness that rears its head every now and again.

Wahlberg's back-and-forth banter with T.J. Miller (who plays Cade's friend, Lucas) early on in the film doesn't just help to establish the tone for the picture as a fun thrill ride, it's one of the highlights. So is Tucci, who does a better job filling the comic relief role than John Turturro in the installments that came before. The other humans, however, don't fare nearly as well: Grammer is relegated to a villainous role that doesn't afford him much dramatic mobility; Peltz plays a character who's equally as shallow as Megan Fox's Mikaela Banes; and Reynor (whose main asset is clearly that he looks like a cross between Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pratt) seems to be there only because certain scenes require someone adept at a fast and furious vehicular getaway.

Ultimately, this makes Age of Extinction feel like the poster child for the old adage: the more things change, the more they stay the same. In fact, it may even be the most Michael Bay-ish movie that Michael Bay has ever made, chocked full of the director's signature flourishes, left, right and center. At just 15 minutes shy of 3 hours, the movie is an orgy of slow-motion lolyygagging, pyrotechnic pirouettes and more action clichιs than you can shake a giant Cybertronian sword at. Bay is moderately successful at masking the homogeneity of the action set pieces by churning out a globe-trotting adventure — taking the characters from Texas, to Chicago, to Beijing and then Hong Kong — and throwing the fan-favorite Dinobots into the mix, but it makes little difference by the film's conclusion, when the specifics of any one action sequence have become nigh impossible to recollect. However, isn't that precisely the kind of popcorn entertainment that Bay's name has become synonymous with? For him to deliver anything else would be akin to a betrayal of his own brand. And lest we forget, this is a film franchise forged on the popularity of a toy line, so brand loyalty is to be expected.
Old 06-27-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 06-27-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Shut the fuck up, old man! You don't know shit about wtf you're talking about.
Show some respect for your elders, you young whippersnapper. Talk like that to me again and I'll take you out of my will. All my film books will go to someone else like, y'know, Buttmunker or Spottedfeather. How d'ya like them apples?
Old 06-27-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'll be watching the thread though to see if anyone can change my mind...
How would this even be possible?

I'm on the fence and pretty ambivalent about the movie. I don't have a great need to see it. I'm not even sure if I saw the last one
Old 06-27-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just want to know how the Dinobot action is.
Old 06-27-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

^ I got nothing...

I just wanted our avatars to line-up.
Old 06-27-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If yours had the been facing the other way, it'd have been perfect.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-27-14 at 08:40 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.