Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Fox and Star Wars Episode IV

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I apologize if this was already discussed.... I also know that I could've posted this question in the Disney/Fox thread, but I didn't want to have it seem like I was trying to hijack.

I know a little history in that George Lucas was still needed to secure financing when he made Episode IV, so he went to Fox. Fox owns the rights to Episode IV: A New Hope.

Due to his subsequent success, all future Star Wars films were self-financed and became the property of Lucas Films.

Of Course, Disney owns all films after Episode IV, due to their purchase of Lucas Films a few years ago.

I thought I remember reading that Disney was going to buy or acquire the rights to Episode IV, from Fox, within a couple years. However, I may have been mistaken.

Now, assuming the sale of Fox to Disney goes through, I am assuming Disney will have complete ownership of Episode IV: A New Hope.

Does anyone think that Disney may release any new box sets in the future, now that they will have complete ownership of every film?
Old 12-14-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Disney/Fox and Star Wars Episode iV

Are you asking whether Disney is going to milk the Star Wars franchise by releasing a new box set? I would say 100% yes. I'm wondering if we're going to get some kind of Disney vault for these now.

If you're asking if they'll release the original, unaltered versions now, I would think there's enough fan demand that they will, maybe after this current trilogy is done and they need to drum up more interest. And it'll work, too.
Old 12-14-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Are you asking whether Disney is going to milk the Star Wars franchise by releasing a new box set? I would say 100% yes. I'm wondering if we're going to get some kind of Disney vault for these now.

If you're asking if they'll release the original, unaltered versions now, I would think there's enough fan demand that they will, maybe after this current trilogy is done and they need to drum up more interest. And it'll work, too.
Thanks for the reply. I was mainly wondering about the possibility of a new box set. However, I suppose everything is just speculation, considering the merger hasn't been approved.
Old 12-15-17, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

As I was watching the title scrawl on The Last Jedi, my mind wondered if the sale does go thru, can/would Disney revert to the opening 20 Century Fox fanfare on all future Home Entertainment releases? Or remove it completely from the old versions?
Old 12-15-17, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

the only bright spot to this whole situation was wondering if it was too late to jam in the fox fanfare in there. cause, yeah, if you want to get me with a nostalgia boner, the way to do it is to have that in front of the A long time in a galaxy far far away... scroll.
Old 12-15-17, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree as I see 2 possible type of releases for the OOT:

1. Release it by itself in it's own boxset

2. Release it after Episode 9 in an ultra boxset of the 9 Saga movies, and the 3 OOT movies.

Many people say they will never release them out of respect for Lucas, but judging how they essentially divorced with Lucas when they didn't agree with his ST outline (and then Lucas came back and said they were 'white slavers') I think they could care less what he thinks anymore. They paid 4 Billion for SW and they can do whatever they want.
Old 12-15-17, 07:28 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Disney/Fox and Star Wars Episode IV

This is discussed ad nauseam in the HD Talk Star Wars Bluray thread, isn't it?
Old 12-15-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DECEMBER 15, 2017 5:00am PT by Patrick Shanley
Why Disney Should Add Fox's Fanfare Back to 'Star Wars'

There's been something special missing from a galaxy far, far away ever since 'The Force Awakens.'

Here’s a magic trick. I can make you hear something just by reading four words: 20th Century Fox fanfare.

If you’ve seen a movie in your lifetime, chances are your head is now filled with snare drums, timpani and orchestral horns. There’s also a fair likelihood that after that 20-or-so-second score drifts away into the foggy ether of your mind that another tune might creep in on its heels: the Star Wars theme.

Perhaps no film score in history is as iconic, and certainly no studio’s opening credit tag evokes such visceral reaction as that of Fox’s short march. The two themes are intertwined, stapled together by decades of Pavlovian reinforcement as deep-rooted as the soft jingling of sleigh bells kindles the image of jolly old Saint Nick.

Since 1977 first introduced moviegoers worldwide to George Lucas’ galaxy far, far away, the Fox studios title card and accompanying score has set the mood for the latest entry in the Skywalker space opera. The connection was finally severed in December 2015, three years and two months after Disney purchased Lucasfilm for $4 billion. The familiar drum roll and searching spotlights of Fox’s opener were, for the first time, absent from a Star Wars title and audiences were introduced to The Force Awakens without the nostalgic Fox fanfare they grew up on.

Not only was the disappearance of the Fox theme a blow to the opening of films in the Star Wars universe, but the studio’s absorption by Disney raises questions about whether the fanfare will live on at all. The door is technically now even reopened for Disney to add the fanfare back in ahead of Star Wars films now that Fox is under the fold.

The theme, originally composed in 1933 by Fox music director Alfred Newman, may have very well faded into obscurity by the 1970s had Lucas not taken a particularly liking to it. The filmmaker insisted it be played before his first Star Wars film and a renaissance of sorts began for the fanfare. To truly understand just how deeply the connection between the two films, and therefore how much of a loss it is to lose the theme, one need only to look to Oscar winning composer John Williams, the man responsible for the Star Wars score.

When Williams was hired to compose the music for 1977’s A New Hope, one of his first courses of action was writing a main theme in the same key as Newman’s fanfare. The combination struck a chord (pun intended) with audiences and fans of the series so deeply that the fanfare was included on releases of the Star Wars special edition re-release in the late 1990s and the Ultimate Edition score to 1999’s The Phantom Menace.

While Williams’ original theme, the Imperial March and other iconic Star Wars music still remains in the new films, the loss of the Fox fanfare was still painful to many fans, and now, with the merger of Fox and Disney, it is likely gone forever, a relic of bygone age that old fuds can reminisce about to future generations who only know Luke Skywalker as the bushy-bearded robe man surrounded by porgs in that old movie.

True Star Wars fans, however, will always remember the excitement that initial drumroll generated, a sputtering train kicking into action to carry them into a galaxy of growling Wookies, lightsaber-wielding Jedi and a universe of wonder that sparked the imagination of millions worldwide. In that, 20th Century Fox may have accomplished that most elusive of corporate branding goals: Connecting with a fan’s heart, not just their wallet.
Old 12-15-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Merger will take 12-18 months to finalize. Sorry, no fanfare till 2019 at the earliest (if it were to happen at all).
Old 12-15-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disney has more reason to remove the fanfare from the original film than they have to add it to all the subsequent sequels and prequels.

They didn’t just buy Fox for their IPs. Fox can be what they wanted Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures to be: their mainstream grown-up movie brand. That doesn’t jibe with what they’ve got going with LucasFilm. Like Marvel they want the LucasFilm logo to be the one that pops up and gives you the feels, and if my anecdotal experience at last night’s TLJ screening was any indication, they’ve succeeded only 3 movies in. They want that audible excitement to carry over to Indiana Jones 5, Generation X American Graffiti for Millennials, their inevitable Radioland Murders and Willow multimedia franchises etc.

I just don’t see it happening. At best there’s a market research guy somewhere telling Kathleen Kennedy that he’s got data showing a few nerds exist who are slightly saddened by the lack of the Fox fanfare for about 3 seconds before they see the Star Wars logo and start screaming and crying. It’s a total non-issue,
Old 12-15-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I agree as I see 2 possible type of releases for the OOT:

1. Release it by itself in it's own boxset

2. Release it after Episode 9 in an ultra boxset of the 9 Saga movies, and the 3 OOT movies.

Many people say they will never release them out of respect for Lucas, but judging how they essentially divorced with Lucas when they didn't agree with his ST outline (and then Lucas came back and said they were 'white slavers') I think they could care less what he thinks anymore. They paid 4 Billion for SW and they can do whatever they want.
Someone within Lucasfilm posted online this week that the Lucas/Disney deal had a stipulation that Lucasfilm never release the non-SE OT without George's approval.

I'm sure we will get another set with the SE trilogy.
Old 12-15-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Someone within Lucasfilm posted online this week that the Lucas/Disney deal had a stipulation that Lucasfilm never release the non-SE OT without George's approval.

As a kid, I loved George Lucas but he is really out there if he really put that in the contract.
Old 12-15-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a kid, I loved George Lucas but he is really out there if he really put that in the contract.
Especially now if he let them make 7,8,9 with Hamill, Fisher, and Ford. His vision of the movies or the Saga is all but irrelevant anymore as the new Trilogy will change the way people view them. I don't know why he is so hell bent on keeping the OOT discontinued other then sticking it to the older fans.
Old 12-15-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I seriously doubt that GL would put something so petty in a $4 billion dollar contract (especially when he turns around and donates the money to charity).

And I'm pretty sure I've seen comments from George in recent times stating he doesn't care either way about the originals being released. I'm not going to try to google it now since I haven't seen the TLJ yet, but I'm almost certain there's a comment from him out there.
Old 12-15-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I don't suppose you have any sort of link for that? Not saying you're making it up, just interested.
Old 12-15-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/3IjqB60yufU?start=10" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is what they should do for Star Wars.
Old 12-15-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/3IjqB60yufU?start=10" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, now that is frightening.

I take back what I said before. Screw the X-men, the government needs to cancel this deal.
Old 12-15-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I seriously doubt that GL would put something so petty in a $4 billion dollar contract (especially when he turns around and donates the money to charity).

And I'm pretty sure I've seen comments from George in recent times stating he doesn't care either way about the originals being released. I'm not going to try to google it now since I haven't seen the TLJ yet, but I'm almost certain there's a comment from him out there.
I'd be curious to read that. That seems to go against everything he had said previously with regards to the Originals not being his vision, or an incomplete film, or simply not existing anymore.
Old 12-15-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It’s funny to see people describing it as “out there” and “petty” that Lucas basically has the same final cut/approval of presentation over movies he independently made when that’s the goal of pretty much every filmmaker. I have no doubt that the people acting like this is unusual have also whined online about a filmmaker being deprived of control over how their film was presented. Like almost anything in life it’s a double-edged sword.

The ownership of the movie in question is practically a non-issue. Spielberg doesn’t own his films yet he also has the final say in regards to how they’re presented on home video. Kubrick had final say on how his Warner-controlled movies were presented on video and when the early DVD releases came out Warner had to use dated laserdisc-era transfers and soundtracks until his estate allowed them to be updated.

Whether or not this control/approval is for the best is debatable but it isn’t uncommon. Lucas isn’t some lone eccentric making unreasonable demands.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 12-15-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-15-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls

They don’t have the Disney logo in front of Star Wars at all. It goes straight to the LucasFilm logo just like how their Marvel movies go straight to the Marvel logo. Disney isn’t presenting the audience a LucasFilm or Marvel movie, LucasFilm and Marvel are studios that make their own movies and they also happen to be owned by Disney. Thats their vision in regards to how these things are branded.
Old 12-15-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Lucas isn’t some lone eccentric making unreasonable demands.
No one ever argued that he couldn't change the films he seemed fit, as many blockbuster movies are re-released as Special Editions, Directors Cuts, etc. The difference between Lucas and other directors is all of their blockbuster movies have both editions when they came out on Laserdisk, DVD, BluRay. Movies like T2, Lord of the Rings, ET, Bladerunner, Superman, I could go on and on as I have both versions of all of those movies on the same disk, in the same quality. Nobody would have whined if the 2004 DVD or 2011 BluRays contained both the SE and OOT on them in the same quality. Peter Jackson has even said that he considers the Original Cuts of Lord of the Rings that were released in the movies to be the definite versions, but he understands a part of the fanbase that loves the Extended Versions. It shouldn't be that difficult as Lucas dug in and prevented the OOT's from being released, and then alienated a base of fans in the process.
Old 12-15-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb
No one ever argued that he couldn't change the films he seemed fit, as many blockbuster movies are re-released as Special Editions, Directors Cuts, etc. The difference between Lucas and other directors is all of their blockbuster movies have both editions when they came out on Laserdisk, DVD, BluRay. Movies like T2, Lord of the Rings, ET, Bladerunner, Superman, I could go on and on as I have both versions of all of those movies on the same disk, in the same quality. Nobody would have whined if the 2004 DVD or 2011 BluRays contained both the SE and OOT on them in the same quality. Peter Jackson has even said that he considers the Original Cuts of Lord of the Rings that were released in the movies to be the definite versions, but he understands a part of the fanbase that loves the Extended Versions. It shouldn't be that difficult as Lucas dug in and prevented the OOT's from being released, and then alienated a base of fans in the process.
The same with Spielberg and CEOT3K, but at least that film has been available in all of it versions on DVD/BLU.

As it stands, I only have the Original Trilogy theatrical run from 1995 on VHS; the THX masters.
Old 12-15-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't suppose you have any sort of link for that? Not saying you're making it up, just interested.
Here it is.
Old 12-16-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Here it is.
Pablo Hidalgo saying the original theatrical versions won't be released because of (probably) George Lucas doesn't mean it's a contractual obligation. Disney/Lucasfilm maybe just don't want to piss him off, especially considering he's still making appearances at Star Wars conventions and such. It's not good PR, and that can be reason enough. Also, Pablo Hidalgo could simply be wrong.
Old 12-16-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Pablo Hidalgo saying the original theatrical versions won't be released because of (probably) George Lucas doesn't mean it's a contractual obligation. Disney/Lucasfilm maybe just don't want to piss him off, especially considering he's still making appearances at Star Wars conventions and such. It's not good PR, and that can be reason enough. Also, Pablo Hidalgo could simply be wrong.
Either way it seems like an official release won't come anytime soon. Honestly the best thing they could do is allow unofficial fan edits to exist. Because lets be honest. Not all of the changes they made were bad.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-spe...ginal-trilogy/

I pretty much agree with this list except for I don't mind seeing more of the wampa in Empire.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.