Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
he never took the lightsabre Rey offered him.
You don't know this.
Old 01-25-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Old 01-25-17, 11:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Old 01-25-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
You don't know this.
No, he didn't. The film ended with Rey still holding it out to him. Now, maybe he did take it from her after the fade to black, but we never saw it happen. And he didn't exactly give the impression that he was going to.
Old 01-25-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another thought on what the "The Last Jedi" might mean.

Consider that the Rebellion has become the Resistance, the Empire has become the first Order, the Sith have become the Knights of Ren.

Maybe, in that sense, Luke is the last Jedi because the Jedi order will be replaced by something new.

Which is an interesting concept, but "Jedi" has been so ingrained into Star Wars and our culture that I don't see Disney abandoning it in any future, post IX films.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-25-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 04:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I sincerely hope Disney isn't trying to phase out the idea of the Jedi Order. I simply hope this means that Luke is currently the last Jedi, but Rey will be the next.
Old 01-25-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Are you kidding?? They have Jedi Academy at their parks, it's a HUGE part of SW lore. They aren't stupid enough to kill off anything that generates revenue.
Old 01-25-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's an interesting concept. If you watch Eps I-VII, you can see that it certainly feels like a period of transition.

It's never been clearly stated just whar bringing balance to the Force meant. Maybe Anakin was meant to destroy both the Sith and Jedi so that the light and dark sides of the Force would coexist as equal and opposites. Luke was never meant to bring the Jedi back, and that's why he took off to the lost Jedi temple, seeking answers.

In the new orde, the "Ren" would represent the dark side, and whatever replaces the Jedi would represent the light side. Good and Evil. Light and Dark. Order and Chaos. Two sides, equal and opposite, coexisting in balance. In the prequels, we saw the Sith all but wiped out for generations, while the Jedi grew complacent and lazy. Remember the first trailer... There has been an awakening.. the dark side and the light...

Kylo is the first of the Dark Siders. Rey will be the first of the Light Siders.

A curious thing is that in all of the new Star Wars material, they are expanding the concept of the Force users beyond Jedi and Sith. There's the Bendu on Rebels, Lor San Tekka in TFA, and Chirrut Imwe in Rogue One. It does seem like they are working on expanding the concept of the Force and who uses it. Almost like they're moving geyond the strict Jedi-Sith concept of Force users.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-25-17 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 05:36 PM
Banned by request

Weren't there half a dozen people with Kylo Ren in Rey's vision? He's referred to as the head of the Knights of Ren, which sounds like an order made up of multiple people. Plus there's Kylo's master too, who isn't a Knight of Ren and may be a Sith or may just have no specific order.

I always hoped the "bring balance to the Force" thing would mean Force users who are not strictly light side or dark side, but ones who accepted both sides of the Force in a yin-yang balance.

As for the other types of Force users, I think that's simply to keep the Force as an active presence to the audience. For all the stuff taking place between RotS and ANH You can't have a ton of Jedi running around, because they've been almost all eradicated.
Old 01-25-17, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Weren't there half a dozen people with Kylo Ren in Rey's vision? He's referred to as the head of the Knights of Ren, which sounds like an order made up of multiple people. Plus there's Kylo's master too, who isn't a Knight of Ren and may be a Sith or may just have no specific order.
Yeah, there seems to be, currently, some kind of group called the Knights of Ren. But I'm thinking that by the time this shakes out there might be two groups, the Ren and the post-Jedi, existing in balance. It appears that the Sith spent a long time existing as only a single master and single apprentice, which then put the Jedi in a position of complacency, which led to an imbalance in the dark and light. The Sith were something that needed to exist as a potent force in order to keep the light side vigilant.

I always hoped the "bring balance to the Force" thing would mean Force users who are not strictly light side or dark side, but ones who accepted both sides of the Force in a yin-yang balance.
Possibly, though the yin-yang is black and white in equal balance, not gray.

It would seem that, some time in the past, the Sith grew too ambitious/evil and effectively wiped themselves out. This then allowed the Jedi to lose their vigilance and allow what was left of the Sith to destroy them.

A balanced Force would consist of two groups, one light and one dark, operating openly in opposition to each other.
Old 01-25-17, 06:46 PM
Banned by request

The yin-yang often has been applied to individuals, so the black and the white can and does co-exist within individuals. That doesn't make everyone grey.
Old 01-30-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

An interesting theory from Reddit:

Spoiler:
What if we are learning about early Jedi because we are going to find out how different the ancient Jedi order is? What if what we know as Jedi are not really Jedi after all? What if Snoke is the last Jedi, in its original form? It makes sense that we are learning about early Jedi. It makes sense that Kylo Ren has this ancient version of the weapon. It makes sense that Luke went to look for the original Jedi temple in order to learn about Snoke.
Old 01-30-17, 05:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

meh.
Old 01-30-17, 05:27 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Sounds like a lame overthought out theory by a neck beard.
Old 01-30-17, 08:05 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Let's just say I hope he's wrong.
Old 01-30-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
An interesting theory from Reddit:

Spoiler:
What if we are learning about early Jedi because we are going to find out how different the ancient Jedi order is? What if what we know as Jedi are not really Jedi after all? What if Snoke is the last Jedi, in its original form? It makes sense that we are learning about early Jedi. It makes sense that Kylo Ren has this ancient version of the weapon. It makes sense that Luke went to look for the original Jedi temple in order to learn about Snoke.

I didn't think Kylo had an ancient version of a lightsaber, I thought he just had a cheap knockoff made by a wannabe with shitty parts.

Anyway, that theory sounds pretty crappy. Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple because he was a failure and needed guidance and some alone time.
Old 01-30-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I wonder if we'll ever hear about Midicholorians again? I didn't care for them myself, I would just like to hear Luke or someone dismiss them as a lame ass attempt to explain the force in old times. The more recent stories and movies have made it evident that they are no longer relevant, but dang it I want them dismissed officially!
Old 02-16-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

New packaging design for The Last Jedi merchandise launch on September 1st:
Old 02-17-17, 01:46 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by JTH182
I didn't think Kylo had an ancient version of a lightsaber, I thought he just had a cheap knockoff made by a wannabe with shitty parts.
I always assumed he built it himself but since he never completed his training, he was working mainly on intuition and guesses.

I recall that in SW lore a Jedi's last test before they become a Knight is building their own lightsaber. So if Kylo never finished his training it would make sense that he didn't know how to properly build one. Maybe I'm misremembering about the lightsabers though.
Old 02-17-17, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
No Luke in the marketing again? He better have one line in this movie!
Old 02-17-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like Rey still has Luke's (Anakin's) old lightsabre.

Could mean Luke didn't accept it at the end of TFA. No reason to believe he still doesn't have his old green one, though. Also implies that Rey is doing some Jedi training.
Old 02-17-17, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I always assumed he built it himself but since he never completed his training, he was working mainly on intuition and guesses.

I recall that in SW lore a Jedi's last test before they become a Knight is building their own lightsaber. So if Kylo never finished his training it would make sense that he didn't know how to properly build one. Maybe I'm misremembering about the lightsabers though.
I'm not following... what's wrong with Kylo's lightsaber? Is it because it appears jagged and has the "exhaust ports"? I figured he wanted it that way... short of the shit we saw Vader do in R1, Ren seemed to have the best grasp on the Force since Yoda was doing back flips in the PT. His capture of the laser beam (shot from Poe) was probably the most impressive thing I've seen in the movies.
Old 02-17-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kylo Ren's lightsaber was made with a cracked Kyber crystal, which gives the blade its jagged appearance and necessitates the exhaust ports on the side.
Old 02-17-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like "The Last Jedi" of the title is a plural and not a single.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the...-bi-1792473880

The French, German, and Spanish titles make this explicit.
Old 02-17-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I don't know man, she's gonna have a hard time wielding that light saber with that bend in it

Also, I hope someone shows her what a shower is in next movie. She was so dirty in the first one

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.