Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Old 06-20-14, 03:21 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (2017, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Bring Emily Blunt into a galaxy far, far away and I will die a happy man.
YES!
Old 06-20-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
The Trekkies will be happy to get JJ back.
Will they get him back? Robert Orci is directing the next Trek. I suppose that could always change depending on how the schedules overlap but I doubt Orci would want to give that up. Will there be another Trek film after that one?
Old 06-20-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

I've really liked all his movies, but more than being a really solid director, I think he's a fantastic writer, who's script are not just full of great ideas, but strongly character-focused in the best sense, which makes them more engaging than they would be otherwise.
Old 06-20-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Will they get him back? Robert Orci is directing the next Trek. I suppose that could always change depending on how the schedules overlap but I doubt Orci would want to give that up. Will there be another Trek film after that one?
Yeah out of JJ's core team (Burk, Lindelhoff, Kurtzman & Orci), Orci's the most knowledgeable about Trek so it would make sense to have him continue the franchise past the 3rd film.
Old 06-20-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 395 Likes on 264 Posts

I was really hoping J.J would direct all 3 with J.J and Kasdan writing them. This is sort of disappointing.
Old 06-20-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I was really hoping J.J would direct all 3 with J.J and Kasdan writing them. This is sort of disappointing.
That's the bigger question here...not that Johnson has been signed to write/direct future installments, but that JJ and Kasdan haven't been. Is Disney perhaps upset with the way JJ has been running the shoot? I mean he DID almost kill Harrison.

Given JJ's love of Star Wars, I find it hard to believe that he was only interested in being part of ONE movie (although I'm sure that's the PR we'll be fed).
Old 06-20-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Opposite of disappointing, as Johnson's writing wipes it's ass with both JJ & (as of late) Kasdan's writing.
Old 06-20-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously they have to save Joss Whedon for SWX, after Avengers 3.
Old 06-20-14, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If only Whedon could get away from his TV visuals.
Old 06-20-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Hey are the mods going to set up a Star Wars subforum like we had for Ep3?
Old 06-20-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Very unexpected. I figured J.J. would be on board for at least VIII. Maybe it's the desired turnaround time that caused a problem. Abrams fought against the May 2015 release date and complained about being away from his base in California. Plus, he's a busy producer and probably has a lot of plates in the air. I wonder if this "treatment" Johnson is supposed to provide for Episode IX will be an entirely new take or if it will still follow the outline Lucas handed over to Disney.

I do like how the studio is going after these young indie directors who have just started to gain mainstream success... much like George when he was fresh off American Graffiti. I haven't seen any of Rian Johnson's work. I actually had Brick and The Brothers Bloom on DVD ($1.50 at the local pawn shop), but wound up selling them after they sat untouched for four years. Stupid, I know... but my unwatched pile was just ridiculous and I needed to thin it out. I do have Looper on BD from Black Friday, so I'll try to give that a spin this weekend.
Old 06-20-14, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm still pissed about how shitty Episode VII was.

I'll be boycotting this.
Old 06-20-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams wants to rest after this, he's a busy enough man just a producer, he must never sleep.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
If only Whedon could get away from his TV visuals.
Abrams can't either .

Johnson has little experience with these gigantic budgets, so it's kind of a surprise. If they release the OOT, I'll forgive them for not using Brad Bird like they should.
Old 06-20-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

I think JJ not coming back was likely his decision... this is his third go round being the franchise fixer. It seems like it's been a pretty chaotic pre-production process, plus the London studio location which he didn't want...and now the actual filming which hasn't exactly gotten off to a great start.

That comes with the territory though and I'm sure the film will still turn out good. I like the idea of diff directors for now... any one of them could jump back in down the road if they wanted to do another.

Last edited by Artman; 06-21-14 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-21-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Opposite of disappointing, as Johnson's writing wipes it's ass with both JJ & (as of late) Kasdan's writing.
While this may be true... JJ's done more stuff that I find entertaining than Johnson. Abram's actually had me enjoying Star Trek... and I loved Cloverfield. While I enjoyed Looper, it wasn't great. If Disney had always intended to do a ST then they should have let JJ own it from cradle to grave.
Old 06-21-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a combination of JJ not wanting to commit to 6+ years away from his family and the idea that pre-production for VIII likely needs to start before VII launches, so a new director makes sense. He was clearly apprehensive about shooting in the UK for an extended period and being away from his wife and kids.

Wouldn't be surprised if Abrams/Kasdan stay on as Exec. Producers for the rest of the trilogy though.
Old 06-22-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Maybe the thought from Disney is "we're going to be making a lot of Star Wars movies - better to bring JJ back to launch another trilogy down the road than to burn him out now."
Old 07-28-14, 06:48 PM

Rian Johnson on ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’

http://voices.suntimes.com/arts-ente...-episode-viii/
“I’m really excited about all the things I can’t tell you,” Rian Johnson, the writer/director of the upcoming “Star Wars: Episode VIII” and director of “Episode IX” said last night.

At Saturday’s 500th episode taping of the film podcast Filmspotting at the Music Box Theatre, Johnson revealed few details about his upcoming gig.

But he said all the right things, as far as “Star Wars” fans are concerned anyway.

Johnson Skyped into the Filmspotting taping from San Fransisco, where he is already working on “Episode VIII.” The director of indie faves such as “Looper” says he took the job because “The thought of it made me so completely joyfully happy.

“I wanted to to play in this world, of literally the first movie my dad put me in the car to see,” he said.

As for how he scored the gig, Johnson laughed, “I can only assume it was a clerical error, like in the movie ‘Brazil.’ There’s a Brian Johnson out there who is really mad.”

Further making the prospect of working at Lucasfilm seem like a dream job to every “Star Wars” fan, Johnson described it as “kind of like summer camp.” He said he and his crew are preparing by watching movies nightly; the last two they watched were “Twelve O’Clock High” and the Russian film “Letter Never Sent.” (Update those Netflix queues now for clues!)

As if he hadn’t won over the fans enough by that point he continued by making a diplomatic statement about the prequels. “There was something really beautiful about the prequels,” he said, as film snob crowd was momentarily stunned, having just booed at the mention of the “Star Wars” prequels.“

With these films, I am trying to harken back to the original ‘Star Wars’ …. Christmas special. We do have Jefferson Starship.”

At this point I may have decided I was in love with Rian Johnson. I don’t know. Time stopped for a bit.

Finally, Filmspotting cohost Josh Larsen asked an important question. What order does Johnson recommend watching the existing filmography in? (I had just had this conversation at the preshow.) “I would do (Episodes) 4-6 then 1-3,” he said, winning the eternal love of the majority of “Star Wars” fans right there. “Storytelling-wise, 4-6 were constructed without the knowledge of the past.”
Old 08-18-14, 12:55 PM

As if videos from the set of J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars movie featuring live-action alien costumes and full-scale X-Wing Fighters haven’t been enough of a clue, Rian Johnson, who will pick up the franchise after Abrams, says Star Wars: Episode VII will feature more practical, traditional effects.

“They’re doing so much practical building for this one. It’s awesome,” Johnson said on the latest Girls in Hoodies podcast. “I think people are coming back around to [practical effects]. It feels like there is sort of that gravity pulling us back towards it. I think that more and more people are hitting kind of a critical mass in terms of the CG-driven action scene lending itself to a very specific type of action scene, where physics go out the window and it becomes so big so quick.”

“I probably sound like a grumpy old man talking about it,” Johnson continued. “I do wonder because I think kids are growing up watching those and that’s the thing that they love now, so I don’t know whether it is a generational thing, and it could be.”

Of his own Star Wars movie, Johnson joked that it’s “boring to talk about, because the only thing I can really say is, I’m just happy,” adding “I don’t have the terror I kind of expected I would, at least not yet. I’m sure I will at some point.”

Abrams’ Star Wars: Episode VII will be released December 2015, with Johnson’s Episode VIII scheduled for a 2017 release.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...xt-star-726036
Old 09-11-14, 07:25 PM

Rian Johnson is a big shot these days, now that he’s the man in charge of Star Wars: Episode VIII, the dream job of every writer/director of his generation. Mark Ruffalo worked with Johnson when he was still and up-and-comer on his second feature, The Brothers Bloom. Ruffalo told us at TIFF that they rekindled their relationship recently because he “desperately” wants to join Johnson in his Star Wars adventure. Ruffalo said he sent an e-mail to Johnson that read:

“Rian, congratulations on everything you’ve been doing. And by the way, if there’s a part in Star Wars, please, anything, please consider considering me to join you.”

Steve caught up with Ruffalo at the Toronto International Film Festival to discuss Infinitely Polar Bear. We’ll post the full interview soon. Here’s the portion on Star Wars:

COLLIDER: You know how much I love Brothers Bloom.

RUFFALO: I just reached out to Rian recently, by the way.

That’s where I’m going with this. You’re very busy, but how much do you personally want to be in a Star Wars movie?

RUFFALO: Desperately. My e-mail to Rian after all these years was, “Rian, congratulations on everything you’ve been doing. And by the way, if there’s a part in Star Wars, please, anything, please consider considering me to join you.”

Say there’s not a big role, are you a huge enough fan that you’d be willing to wear the mask for one day and just be in the background just to be on set?

RUFFALO: Possibly, depending on timing. I love hanging out with Rian so that’s interesting to me but I would like a role.

I think you might have built up enough street cred.

RUFFALO: I hope so! It’d be nice to have something. And honestly, even a CGI role.

There’s a lot of motion capture now.

RUFFALO: I am thrilled about motion capture. It’s been a journey for me to get there. After this last Avengers and the work we’re doing with that, and the advancement of the technology even since the first Avengers, I’m so excited about where we can go with motion capture. I hope that I’m on the front line of this kind of new frontier of creativity and performance that is completely boundless. Definitely be interested in doing something like that for Star Wars.

I don’t know that anything will come of this, but Ruffalo is a great actor, so I would be interested to see how Johnson could use him in the Star Wars universe.
Read more at http://collider.com/mark-ruffalo-sta...QRXeKxeVFKO.99
Old 09-19-14, 09:03 PM

Rian Johnson did a podcast for TheTalkhouse.com where he spoke with Terry Gilliam (for his movie The Zero Theorem). Their conversation eventually turned to the subject of Episode VIII.

The Star Wars stuff starts at 19:30:

http://thetalkhouse.com/film/talks/r...odcast-part-1/

TG: Do you have a new project?

RJ: Yeah, you know, I'm doing a Star Wars movie. I'm doing the next Star Wars film.

TG: Wow.

RJ: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, it's crazy. I'm writing it and directing it. The next one after this one that J.J. Abrams--

TG: What does that feel like, when you take over somebody else's world?

RJ: You know, it's been... I'm just starting into it, but so far it's been nothing but -- I mean, honestly, it's the most fun I've ever had writing.

TG: Really?

RJ: It's just joyous. But also, for me personally, I grew up not just watching those movies, but playing with those... toys. And so as a little kid, the first movies I was making in my head were set in this world. So a big part of it is that kind of direct connection. It's almost like an automatic jacking in back into childhood in a weird way, I guess. But I don't know. Ask me again in a few years, we'll be able to talk about that.

TG: I'm curious, if you actually saw your first Star Wars on an iPad, would you like it?

RJ: Touché. I guess that we'll find out in thirty years... what the effect of that is.

TG: Is George looking over your shoulder?

RJ: No, no, no. Not at all. Because he's sold the company to Disney, so he's kind of--

TG: Oh, that's right!

RJ: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So he's kind of stepped back and it's... Kathy Kennedy is running Lucasfilm.

TG: Oh, she's wonderful. Kathy's great.

RJ: Yeah, she's great, man. Yeah, I love her.

TG: Do you feel a different kind of responsibility because it is Star Wars or are you free, do you feel, to play?

RJ: Again, I'm figuring it out as I go. I'm kind of dancing on top of the avalanche a little bit, so I'll have more perspective on it in a while. It's a balance of remembering what really inspires you about it, but I think you can probably go to the wrong place by feeling too responsible to it. You have to keep your head loose enough, I think, to tell a story you care about, you know?

TG: That's what's interesting from my point of view. For you to take it out and make it yours -- and still with respect for what it is and was.

RJ: Right. Yeah, it's a balance.

TG: Yeah, because otherwise it's morbid almost before it begins.

RJ: Well, that's been the great thing. You know, Kathy and her whole creative team have been just so insistant on all the filmmakers they're hiring for these new movies. "We want you to take it and turn it into something that you really care about." We'll see how the process plays out, but so far -- I mean, that's a big part of the reason I'm in it, is just 'cause that seems to be their attitude towards it. It's really exciting.

TG: If you bring Yoda back, please bring Frank Oz back as well.

RJ: Oh, are you kidding? How could you not? How could you not? We gotta get you in there as a Hutt.

TG: It was very funny, I bumped into George a couple years ago and he started going on about digital this, that and the other thing and we were all chatting away. And he kept going on about how the digital Yoda was so much better than the hand puppet Yoda. And I couldn't get through to him. He couldn't see how wrong he was! He said "The nuances were so much better." And I think that's what's so extraordinary, 'cause George has been fantasic, he's given us all this stuff. He's given us the digitial film world, basically -- and yet can't see a good performer with his hands up the backside of a puppet can create more reality and believability and character.
Well said, Terry.

While I'm still not familiar with Johnson's work, I've enjoyed hearing him in interviews -- especially when talking with a talented filmmaker like Gilliam. I hope he takes the series in an interesting direction.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-20-14 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-20-14, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice.
Old 09-20-14, 10:01 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Gilliam is one smart motherfucker. Everything he said is right on.
Old 11-26-14, 03:33 PM

Variety is reporting that frequent Tim Burton production designer Rick Heinrichs has been hired for Episode VIII. Interesting choice, since his usual aesthetic is not the look I associate with Star Wars at all (though he also did Fargo and Captain America).
Old 03-12-15, 12:23 PM

This morning at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, across the street from Lucasfilm, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger hosted a shareholder meeting where he announced news regarding the first Star Wars stand-alone movie as well as Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-o...s-episode-viii

Last edited by dex14; 03-12-15 at 12:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.