Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (12/15/17, W/D: Rian Johnson)

Originally Posted by milo bloom
In the ROTJ novelization (which is "backup" canon), Han mentions something along the lines of "six months of wide awake nothin' "
Adaptations like the novelizations, the radio dramas etc. were generally considered canon only when they don't contradict anything in the movies. Obi-Wan's line in the RotJ novelization about Uncle Owen being his brother is a good example of something that is clearly contradicted. If an official Disney/LucasFilm timeline contradicts that line then I'd go with the timeline.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 02-16-16 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
Wrong.
Yeah, you're wrong. Oh it's true, it's true.

3 years between Episode IV and Episode V.
1 year between Episode V and Episode VI.
30 years between Episode VI and VII.

Like I said, not exact but pretty fucking close, and roughly accurate.

Now take your trolling and go somewhere else.
Old 02-16-16, 04:56 PM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, I do wish the final TFA scene did have some brief dialogue, similar to the "I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father" scene from ANH.
Except all of the Star Wars films have a tradition of ending without dialogue. If that line was in there, fanboys would be up in arms about it.

Where are people getting these elapsed times between episodes?
Old 02-16-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

In their defense, 1 year is 200% off from 3 years.
Old 02-16-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

In what universe is 1 year pretty fucking close to 3 years?
Old 02-16-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber
In what universe is 1 year pretty fucking close to 3 years?
In what universe is "2" a high number?
Old 02-16-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Well the time between III and IV has always been easy as is the time between V and VI. I've never figured out how to calculate the time between IV and V.
Old 02-16-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Except all of the Star Wars films have a tradition of ending without dialogue. If that line was in there, fanboys would be up in arms about it.

Not something I'd really thought about... Empire had dialogue, save for the final 15 seconds.

It's always been unofficially assumed that SW to Empire was 2-3yrs, Empire to Jedi was 6months-1yr. That goes back to the SW Insider days, not sure if it was ever official cannon... but it makes sense.

SW films should start breaking the mold going forward, whether it's time between episodes, the opening/closing scenes, structure, drop "Ive got a bad feeling about this", etc.
Old 02-16-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I recall an interview with Lucas (way back from the '80s) where he himself said that it's roughly the same amount of time as between each release, due to actors just being that much older, so their aging in the movies may as well match their aging in real life.
Old 02-17-16, 12:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101

Like I said, not exact but pretty fucking close, and roughly accurate.
There is a considerable difference between 6 months/1 year and three years. It's downright nonsensical and ridiculous to think it took Chewie three whole years to locate Jabba, a well-known gangster.
Old 02-17-16, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
There is a considerable difference between 6 months/1 year and three years. It's downright nonsensical and ridiculous to think it took Chewie three whole years to locate Jabba, a well-known gangster.
Yeah, that's one thing that struck me way back before ROTJ came out.

I had assumed that Jabba (and, thus, Han) would be difficult to locate, but in ROTJ he's shown to be living in a big palace on Tatooine. I had, at the time, assumed that he would be difficult to track down, like he operated from a well-hidden lair, or operated off of a space ship that was constantly moving.

The old Marvel Star Wars comic sort of did an extended hunt for Han Solo during the three year gap, but with ROTJ, it was pretty obvious that they would know exactly where to look.
Old 02-17-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

To a movie viewer, the only gaps that are known for sure are the ones where you can judge the age of a kid (harder to tell aging in adults).

I-->II = about 10 years.
Look to Anakin's age. About 10 in I, about 20 in II.

III-->IV = 18-20 years.
Look to the twins. From newborn to about 18-20 (however, Kenobi seems to age about 30-40 years... see what I mean about adults?)

Anything else is kinda pure guesswork.

Last edited by GuessWho; 02-17-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-17-16, 03:27 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

In what universe is "2" a high number?
Give it up.
Old 02-17-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Give it up.
I did, because I was right. You're the one hung up on it because you were off.
Old 02-17-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alec Guinness was early 60s during Star Wars, but Ewan McGregor was mid-30s during Revenge of the Sith. About 20 years passed between the two movies, and living in a desert cave probably isn't doing wonders for his appearance...
Old 02-18-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

I recall an interview with Lucas (way back from the '80s) where he himself said that it's roughly the same amount of time as between each release, due to actors just being that much older, so their aging in the movies may as well match their aging in real life.
Was that Monday Lucas, Tuesday Lucas, Wednesday Lucas, Thursday Lucas, Friday Lucas, Saturday Lucas or Sunday Lucas?
Old 02-22-16, 02:34 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

One of the filming locations is in Croatia. The city of Dubrovnik will serve as . . . well, something in the Star Wars sequel, and while filming there won't begin until March 9th, the Star Wars News Net scored some pictures of production gearing up. Take a look!

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/...dubrovnik.html
Old 02-22-16, 02:46 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Dubrovnik's gonna have to make room for all the Game of Thrones and Star Wars tourists.
Old 02-22-16, 03:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Should have filmed in Malta.
Old 02-22-16, 06:46 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That's a very different looking location for a SW movie. Interesting.
Old 02-22-16, 08:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, more than lack of dialogue, all Star Wars films have ended on static shots, except for TFA. It took me a bit to articulate why the ending of TFA felt off to me, and it's the swirling camera.
Old 02-23-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Actually, more than lack of dialogue, all Star Wars films have ended on static shots, except for TFA. It took me a bit to articulate why the ending of TFA felt off to me, and it's the swirling camera.
The end of ESB isn't really static. It's a space exterior of ships going by.
Old 02-29-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Daisy Ridley confirmed to a reporter on the Oscars red carpet that Episode VIII opens on Skellig Michael and that it was strange filming the same scene again with a different crew. From a continuity and logistics standpoint, it's strange they didn't just film the opening during location shooting for The Force Awakens. Maybe they did and Johnson decided to change the script? Seems like a giant hassle to return to a heritage site and hope the weather conditions will be close enough to match something that was shot a year prior.

As others have mentioned, it seems odd for a Star Wars film to pick up at the exact moment the last one ended. Abrams mentioned that they tweaked a few things in VII at the behest of Rian Johnson, but there was at least one request they simply could not accommodate. I half suspect Rian wanted to save the journey to the island and the Luke reveal entirely for the opening of his movie.
Old 02-29-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
As others have mentioned, it seems odd for a Star Wars film to pick up at the exact moment the last one ended. Abrams mentioned that they tweaked a few things in VII at the behest of Rian Johnson, but there was at least one request they simply could not accommodate. I half suspect Rian wanted to save the journey to the island and the Luke reveal entirely for the opening of his movie.
Yes, but you can open it in the first place, have a short scene and then do a significant time jump.

I doubt Rian's request was to nix The Force Awakens' ending. It was probably more like "can you not kill off that character?"
Old 03-03-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Now that we’ve been completely through a new Star Wars movie, from pre-production through release, we have a pretty good idea of how things will work for Star Wars: Episode VIII. This means that one of the next major pieces of official information that we’re likely in store for is the actual title. Now, right on schedule, a couple of rumored titles have surfaced and...well, one of them could work.

We’re sure that we’ll hear many rumors for titles between now and whenever we actually hear the official announcement, however, the first two are now out and they come from very different sources. The first one, courtesy of the mass of humanity that is Reddit, is that the title will be Star Wars: Tale of the Jedi Temple. We’ll apparently know if this title is legit fairly soon as the source claims it will be revealed as part of May the Fourth, the annual official/unofficial Star Wars Day. The second title comes from a Croatian Star Wars fan site. They claim the title will be Star Wars: The Order of the Dark Side.

If we had to pick one of these, we’d have to go with The Order of the Dark Side. The other just feels way too dull. None of the other Star Wars titles gave us a tale or a story. Most of them have actual verbs in them, where something happens. The Empire Strikes Back. Attack of the Clones. There’s just nothing going on in The Tale of the Jedi Temple. Oh, you’re going to tell me a story as I fall asleep? Let me get my hot cocoa. It honestly would make more sense as the title of a tie-in children’s book.

At least The Order of the Dark Side feels like a Star Wars title. It’s got some meat on it, like The Phantom Menace or Revenge of the Sith. It still doesn’t make a lot of sense, though. Star Wars: The Force Awakens set up The First Order as an organization that, while it contained Kylo Ren, was mostly focused on non-Force-related military functions. Supreme Leader Snoke and Kylo Ren were part of the Dark Side, but General Hux, as far as we know, was not. Whatever Kylo and the Knights of Ren have cooking in Episode VIII may be much bigger than anything we saw in The Force Awakens, but calling it an Order seems odd since we already have one of those.

Even if both of these are real titles under consideration there’s no guarantee that either of them has been chosen, or even that any title has been chosen yet. We didn’t learn about Star Wars: The Force Awakens title until the end of principal photography, and if Episode VIII follows suit, that means it will be months before we hear anything official. Do you like either of these choices? Why, or why not?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.