Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

La Belle et la Bête (2014) D: Christophe Gans, S: Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

La Belle et la Bête (2014) D: Christophe Gans, S: Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux

Old 02-14-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: La Belle et la Bête (2014) D: Christophe Gans, S: Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Which BD did you end up getting?
Check your PM.
Old 02-27-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: La Belle et la Bête (2014) D: Christophe Gans, S: Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux

I watched this last night and it was great, but be warned that the subtitles are not perfect. They're in SDH all the way through meaning that if there's an audible sound it will something like [door opens slowly]. I hate that shit, but it does beat the English dubbed version even if Cassell and Seydoux are dubbing in English. I am a purist. Still, I paid $12.99, so no complaints. The video and sound were terrific.
Old 02-27-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I watched this last night and it was great, but be warned that the subtitles are not perfect. They're in SDH all the way through meaning that if there's an audible sound it will something like [door opens slowly]. I hate that shit, but it does beat the English dubbed version even if Cassell and Seydoux are dubbing in English. I am a purist. Still, I paid $12.99, so no complaints. The video and sound were terrific.
The English SDH subtitles were a bit annoying. I thought this was a very enjoyable adaptation and entertaining for adults. The visuals were great.

http://doblu.com/2017/02/16/christop...lu-ray-review/
Old 02-27-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope people find this when the Disney version is released. I really like this version and I think it would have looked great in a theatre. There was a small discussion of the region 2 release on the Beauty and the Beast thread awhile back.

https://www.amazon.fr/La-Belle-et-la...A1X6FK5RDHNB96

Last edited by mrhan; 02-27-17 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Just saw this.

The story was poorly written. I was hoping that this would have been some great take on the fairy tale, but it wasn't. The Disney animated version is still king.

Spoiler:

Why did the the Beast make Belle's father his prisoner? He gave him all those gifts, but when he took the rose that was too much. Why? I guess the rose had symbolic value because of his previous wife, but that's it. Dude was bi-polar.

And the romance was definitely rushed, it was hardly there. Was there a curse to be lifted by the Beast getting loved by a woman? It was never mentioned. And it wasn't so hard for Belle to get closer to Beast since she already had the visions that he was once a decent looking man.
In the cartoon she doesn't know anything about him.

The nymph thing and forest god came way out of left field. And why would the forest god be seen in the sky? Shouldn't hints of those things be introduced early on?

So much bad about this film. The beast design wasn't that great at all. The Disney one, and the 1980s tv version are top contenders in my opinion.
The cartoon dogs were a poor replacement for the enchanted furniture and dinnerware.
The visuals were really nice. I think they overdid it with the giant statues, but they did look cool.
But just a bad story, not so great dialogue.

Belle was way better than the recent live-action Disney version though.