DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Father of the Bride Part 3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/620663-father-bride-part-3-a.html)

dex14 06-16-14 03:39 PM

Father of the Bride Part 3

Do you think they'll keep the "bride" in the title? :lol:

I thought this was a joke when I read it.

It seems appropriate that Nikki Finke brought news yesterday of the revival of another 90s franchise. But this time it doesn't involved monsters, superheroes, aliens or anything with blockbuster flair. Instead, Steve Martin is returning for Father of the Bride 3, a sequel to follow the first two film's from 1991 and 1995 respectively. However, Nancy Meyers won't be coming back to direct this time, and it will be the first two films' screenwriter Charles Shyer writing and directing the sequel. And this time, the story will have a relevant gay marriage twist with Martin's son Matty as the one getting married to the son of a US Navy Seal.

And for anyone who has seen the first Father of the Bride films, you can probably guess that George Banks (Martin) doesn't handle the news very well as a conservative, traditionalist. The father is "thunderstruck and speechless" about his son's revelation, so much that Nina (Diane Keaton) kicks him out of the house. In the first two films, Matty was played by a young Kieran Culkin, and enough time has passed that he could easily return in this role as an adult to play the role. We also hope Martin Short is able to return as the foreign Franck Eggelhoffer.

Right now Disney and Warner Bros. are figuring out the situation with the rights to the film with Shyer scripting along with Marc Klein (Serendipity, A Good Year). Honestly, the first two films are two of my favorite romantic comedies of all-time. They seem to be the last truly great films Martin made, though Bowfinger was surprisingly hilarious. We just hope a return to this franchise packs the same emotional and comedic punch as the first two delightful comedies.
Original story: http://nikkifinke.com/father-bride-gay/

SuperJim88 06-16-14 03:48 PM

re: Father of the Bride Part 3

Father of the Bride 3: I got Banjo'd

Shannon Nutt 06-16-14 05:09 PM

This actually isn't a bad idea at all.

And, yes, I do think they'll change the title to "Father of the Groom".

dex14 06-16-14 06:04 PM

Hmm... Looks like Martin has no knowledge of it? Haha. https://twitter.com/SteveMartinToGo

Crocker Jarmen 06-16-14 06:21 PM

I haven't been following Steve Martin's twitter feed for long, but when exactly did he start fucking Joyce Carol Oates?

Hokeyboy 06-17-14 08:45 AM

Who's done more for the black community: Joyce DeWitt or Joyce Carol Oates?

GoldenJCJ 06-17-14 09:53 AM

I don't know but I loved Joyce Carol Oates in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia though.

My Other Self 06-17-14 09:55 AM

I actually enjoy Father of the Bride: Part II but who was clamoring for a third?

EddieMoney 06-17-14 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12141949)
I actually enjoy Father of the Bride: Part II but who was clamoring for a turd?

Fixed.

dex14 06-17-14 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12141997)
Fixed.

Classic EddieMoney.

resinrats 06-17-14 12:19 PM

Didn't see part 2 but considering the last one was 1995, it could be GrandFather of the Bride with his granddaughter getting married.

RichC2 06-17-14 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats (Post 12142095)
Didn't see part 2 but considering the last one was 1995, it could be GrandFather of the Bride with his granddaughter getting married.

One of his kids is younger than his grand kid in the series.

majorjoe23 06-17-14 01:08 PM

At this point the kids Dianne Keaton and Kimberly Williams were having in Father of the Bride 2 could be getting married (not to each other, hopefully). It could be Grandfather of the Bride.

Mike86 06-17-14 01:21 PM

I actually don't mind these films for what they are but surprised a third one is being made after such a long time.

EddieMoney 06-17-14 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12142182)
I actually don't mind these films for what they are but surprised a third one is being made after such a long time.

Yeah, I wa$ going to $ay the $ame thing.

Ranger 06-17-14 02:19 PM

I enjoyed the first. The second would have been okay if it didn't have that old lady have a baby too.

Thought Kieran Culkin would be older now but he's only 31. Having him marry a dude would turn off a lot of people - yes, that's just how it is. Though I'd give it a chance - still like Martin and Short.

RichC2 06-17-14 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 12142243)
I enjoyed the first. The second would have been okay if it didn't have that old lady have a baby too.

Thought Kieran Culkin would be older now but he's only 31. Having him marry a dude would turn off a lot of people - yes, that's just how it is. Though I'd give it a chance - still like Martin and Short.

Eh. In & Out did surprisingly well for itself all the way back in 1997. But Kieran Culkin is no Tom Selleck. (And looking it up, I had no idea that movie was based on Tom Hanks thanking his drama teacher at the oscars, then mentioning he was gay :lol: )

Mike86 06-17-14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12142200)
Yeah, I wa$ going to $ay the $ame thing.

Well obviously making money is the end goal of any film, but it just seems odd to do so with a film franchise that had it's last entry close to twenty years ago. I'm wondering with Dumb and Dumber To is going to inspire other filmmakers/studios to do sequels to older comedy films.

EddieMoney 06-17-14 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 12142243)

I see what you did there.

jeffkjoe 06-18-14 09:22 AM

Well, I guess this one will bomb in all of the red, southern states, as well as Middle America.

Go ahead and flush this budget down the toilet.

RichC2 06-18-14 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe (Post 12142855)
Well, I guess this one will bomb in all of the red, southern states, as well as Middle America.

Go ahead and flush this budget down the toilet.

Whys that? It'll be huge on VoD and Red Box in those areas, where it seems there's a shitload of low down business going on.

JimRochester 06-18-14 04:09 PM

So it's a movie version of the past season of Modern Family. Can you say unnecessary? Very surprised. Part II was decent enough based on the charisma of the leads but the story and charm was thin. Of course if it bombs, they can just blame all of America for being bigots and homophobes.

Brack 06-18-14 04:35 PM

I never saw any of these movies. Guess it would be good for the cast to get some work.

Groucho 06-18-14 04:46 PM

Plot twist: Martin Short's character has retired from wedding planning and is now a Christian baker.

Mabuse 06-18-14 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12143498)
Plot twist: Martin Short's character has retired from wedding planning and is now a Christian baker.

:lol: Good stuff.