DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/620591-interview-2014-d-rogen-goldberg-s-seth-rogen-james-franco.html)

dex14 06-11-14 07:51 PM

The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

I thought there was a thread started for this already, but I can't find it.

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/interview-big.jpg

In the action-comedy The Interview, Dave Skylark (James Franco) and his producer Aaron Rapoport (Seth Rogen) run the popular celebrity tabloid TV show “Skylark Tonight.” When they discover that North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un is a fan of the show, they land an interview with him in an attempt to legitimize themselves as journalists. As Dave and Aaron prepare to travel to Pyongyang, their plans change when the CIA recruits them, perhaps the two least-qualified men imaginable, to assassinate Kim Jong-un.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WnalZzJ-XS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solid Snake 06-12-14 08:11 AM

Re: The Interview (2014, D: Rogen/Goldberg) S: Seth Rogen, James Franco

I'm digging it.

CharlieK 06-12-14 08:41 AM

I have faith in these guys and that trailer was great. I'm hearing there's more political satire than the trailer lets on, I hope they're able to pull it off. And a cool poster, too.

riotinmyskull 06-12-14 08:42 AM

sounds like a fucked up version of SPIES LIKE US

RichC2 06-12-14 08:46 AM

Looks entertaining to me, more of a comedy like The Double than the typical coarse slapstick.

I thought Rogen was pretty much on his way out of the biz two years ago, then This is the End, The Neighbors and now this. He's doing well.

My Other Self 06-12-14 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12136497)
I thought Rogen was pretty much on his way out of the biz two years ago, then This is the End, The Neighbors and now this. He's doing well.

I agree. It seemed like he was on his way out. People still give him hell and complain about his "brand of comedy", but his humor has gotten funnier (IMO) and his movies better. I look forward to his output, now.

Solid Snake 06-12-14 09:12 AM

I like how he's more in charge too. Seems like he knows what he's doing and it is interesting to see actors take leadership roles behind the camera.

dex14 06-12-14 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12136526)
I like how he's more in charge too. Seems like he knows what he's doing and it is interesting to see actors take leadership roles behind the camera.

Because he learned from the likes of Apatow. I don't give a shit what anyone says... I could not find it more satisfying that people from Freaks & Geeks are essentially running Hollywood comedies now.

superdeluxe 06-12-14 10:17 AM

This looks pretty epic.

devilshalo 06-20-14 06:57 PM

James Franco and Seth Rogen's ‘The Interview’ Slammed by North Korea
Movies | By Eric Czuleger on June 20, 2014 @ 4:15 pm
Related

Kim Jong-un is not laughing at the antics of Seth Rogen and James Franco in their new film, “The Interview.”

In a conversation with Kim Myon-chol, the executive director for The Centre for North Korea-U.S. Peace, The London Telegraph found that “The Hermit Kingdom” is not pleased about the impending release of the buddy comedy.

The film follows James Franco as a late night talk show host who scores an interview with Kim Jong-un. The CIA decides to turn the host and his producer (Seth Rogen) into assassins. State sanctioned hilarity ensues.

The unofficial spokesman for Pyongyang, who lives in Japan, said that the film “shows the desperation of the U.S. government and American society.”

Despite the film's supposed attempt to subjugate the workers of the world, Kim Myon-chol said that Kim Jong-Un would probably watch the film.

The North Korean spokesperson snuck in one more zinger during his interview with The Telegraph: “A film about the assassination of a foreign leader mirrors what the U.S. has done in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Ukraine.”

He then went on to say, “Let us not forget who killed Kennedy– Americans.” Kim Myon-chol finished the interview by warning President Obama to be careful in case the U.S. military wants to kill him as well.

The message has been received loud and clear in Hollywood. Seth Rogen tweeted about the interview, saying:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Apparently Kim Jong Un plans on watching <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TheInterview&amp;src=hash">#TheInterview</a>. I hope he likes it!! <a href="http://t.co/5VrsgYlydE">http://t.co/5VrsgYlydE</a></p>&mdash; Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/statuses/480079796257304577">June 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

We can only hope that “The Great Successor” develops a sense of humor between now and the Oct. 2 release date.

Troy Stiffler 06-20-14 07:51 PM

Looks epic.

VHS? 06-21-14 01:08 PM

Kim Jong-un is like that little shit that runs at you with a stick but stops right at the fence line.
He'll watch it alone so nobody see's him laughing but put on that smug look when it's over.

devilshalo 06-25-14 11:40 AM

North Korea's take on new US movie: "Act of war"
Associated Press
6 hours ago

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea is warning that the release of a new American comedy about a plot to assassinate leader Kim Jong Un would be an "act of war."

If the U.S. government doesn't block the movie's release, it will face "stern" and "merciless" retaliation, an unidentified spokesman for North Korea's Foreign Ministry said in state media Wednesday.

He didn't mention the movie by name but was clearly referring to "The Interview," which stars Seth Rogen and James Franco as a producer and talk-show host who land an exclusive interview with the North Korean dictator and are then asked by the CIA to assassinate him.

The "reckless U.S. provocative insanity" of mobilizing a "gangster filmmaker" to challenge the North's leadership is triggering "a gust of hatred and rage" among North Korean people and soldiers, the spokesman said, in typically heated propaganda language.

The film's release would be considered an "act of war that we will never tolerate," he said.

With no independent press of its own, North Korea often holds foreign governments responsible for the content of their media. Pyongyang regularly warns Seoul to prevent its conservative press from mocking or criticizing its leadership, something banned within authoritarian North Korea, where the Kim family is revered.

Trailers have been released for the movie, which is set to hit U.S. theaters in October.

The current leader's late father, Kim Jong Il, was a noted movie buff, lauded in the North for writing a treatise on film. He also ordered the kidnapping of prolific South Korean director and producer Shin Sang-ok in 1978, who then spent years making movies for Kim before escaping, Shin said.
Shit's gettin' real. Real fucking stupid. :lol:

E Unit 06-25-14 12:12 PM

Smells epic.

resinrats 06-25-14 12:15 PM

I wonder if Seth Rogen and James Franco had considered North Korea doing something to them out of revenge.

slop101 06-25-14 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 12149875)
North Korea's take on new US movie: "Act of war"

This is such a bullshit story. Seriously, what's the source here? Some mysterious "North Korean Spokesman" with no name, or anything else? I call shenanigans, and I guarantee you that not a single person in N.Korea knows fuck all about this movie. Just more typical internet click-bait bullshit.

E Unit 06-25-14 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12150180)
This is such a bullshit story. Seriously, what's the source here? Some mysterious "North Korean Spokesman" with no name, or anything else? I call shenanigans, and I guarantee you that not a single person in N.Korea knows fuck all about this movie. Just more typical internet click-bait bullshit.

Source.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...-Ameri-001.jpg

TomOpus 06-25-14 07:49 PM

They need to CGI in some Dennis Rodman stat!

nickdawgy 06-26-14 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 12149875)
Shit's gettin' real. Real fucking stupid. :lol:

Merciless retaliation? Like what? Not going to see it? Making a movie about Obama?

GoldenJCJ 06-26-14 11:42 AM

Somehow, deep down, I think we all knew that a Seth Rogan/James Franco comedy would bring about nuclear annihilation.

Troy Stiffler 06-26-14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12150950)
Somehow, deep down, I think we all knew that a Seth Rogan/James Franco comedy would bring about nuclear annihilation.

For some fish in the Pacific.

Ash Ketchum 06-26-14 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12150387)
They need to CGI in some Dennis Rodman stat!

They certainly could have gotten Dennis Rodman for real if they'd just offered him a paycheck.

SuckaMC 06-26-14 03:32 PM

Haha. The film will be legendary. Our generation's Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Tipping off the great war!

Sheesh...

Troy Stiffler 06-26-14 03:47 PM

The film will be legendary. Our generation's Ishtar!

Shannon Nutt 06-26-14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12150950)

I was just about to post the same thing, except I was going to say "the collapse of Western Civilization." :)

If Kim Jong Un wants to take out Rogen/Franco, he just might get a lot of American support.